Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Typo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRemkHjG7As

romney: "have you looked at your pension mr.president"

obama: ''I don't look at my pension, it's not as big as yours,''

*audience thinks obama wins debate*

Christ I've forgotten how hard Obama and Biden ethered the poo poo out of their respective opponents in 2012 lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Holy poo poo this is ugly decoration at the WH

Be Best Pencils

Missing the ring, 2/10.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

"Demolishing" someone in a debate requires them to either admit that they're wrong or visibly just fall apart, neither of which ever really happen in real life.

Unless you're Rick Perry.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

haveblue posted:

Unless you're Rick Perry.

Or Marco Rubio.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Typo posted:

Which just goes to show that debates are just reality TV, which goes a long way to explain TRUMP

Trump was absolutely terrible at his debates, going back to what I posted, it doesn't matter. People agree with who they went in agreeing with.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Jaxyon posted:

Trump was absolutely terrible at his debates, going back to what I posted, it doesn't matter. People agree with who they went in agreeing with.

but OTOH on some level people caught up to the open secret that debates are bullshit, which is why TRUMP could get away with metaphorically making GBS threads his pants on stage and still get elected. This probably wouldn't have being as true 25 years ago.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they also do live fire exercises but that isn't a justification for shooting at them either

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Typo posted:

but OTOH on some level people caught up to the open secret that debates are bullshit, which is why TRUMP could get away with metaphorically making GBS threads his pants on stage and still get elected. This probably wouldn't have being as true 25 years ago.

hillary being intensely dislikable didn't do her any favors in the debates.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trump did exactly what he needed to in the debates. It was Clinton who loving sucked.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i don't clearly remember the debates but if this is true it makes me sad

Look folks, just remember: in 1960 the first ever televised debate happened between Nixon and JFK. Everyone who tuned in saw a confident, cool man on one side and a hunched over sweaty, paunchy dude on the other. TV watchers overwhelmingly thought JFK won. Radio listeners thought overwhelmingly that Nixon won. It behooves us to remember this because I think we forget how much appearance and confidence matters on TV. Facts matter less.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

hillary being intensely dis-likable didn't do her any favors in the debates.

iirc, she actually did fairly respectably in the first debate, "look at my website" notwithstanding. Hillary's problems in the debates, by my estimation, wasn't a lack of likeability, but that she wasn't able to deal with Trump's constant gish gallop. The debates are basically political theater built on the premise of decorum and Trump doesn't play by those rules (and is also senile).

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

VH4Ever posted:

Look folks, just remember: in 1960 the first ever televised debate happened between Nixon and JFK. Everyone who tuned in saw a confident, cool man on one side and a hunched over sweaty, paunchy dude on the other. TV watchers overwhelmingly thought JFK won. Radio listeners thought overwhelmingly that Nixon won. It behooves us to remember this because I think we forget how much appearance and confidence matters on TV. Facts matter less.

this was actually a myth I think, it could be true but there were no reliable polling data telling us that radio listeners thought nixon won while tv watchers thought jfk won. It's one of the historical myth that's being repeated so often it has became accepted historical fact.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

iirc, she actually did fairly respectably in the first debate, "look at my website" notwithstanding. Hillary's problems in the debates, by my estimation, wasn't a lack of likeability, but that she wasn't able to deal with Trump's constant gish gallop. The debates are basically political theater built on the premise of decorum and Trump doesn't play by those rules (and is also senile).

there was definitely some issues with her presentation in the debates: https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html

quote:

We heard a lot of “now I understand how this happened”—meaning how Trump won the election. People got upset. There was a guy two rows in front of me who was literally holding his head in his hands, and the person with him was rubbing his back. The simplicity of Trump’s message became easier for people to hear when it was coming from a woman—that was a theme. One person said, “I’m just so struck by how precise Trump’s technique is.” Another—a musical theater composer, actually—said that Trump created “hummable lyrics,” while Clinton talked a lot, and everything she was was true and factual, but there was no “hook” to it. Another theme was about not liking either candidate—you know, “I wouldn’t vote for either one.” Someone said that Jonathan Gordon [the male Hillary Clinton] was “really punchable” because of all the smiling. And a lot of people were just very surprised by the way it upended their expectations about what they thought they would feel or experience. There was someone who described Brenda King [the female Donald Trump] as his Jewish aunt who would take care of him, even though he might not like his aunt. Someone else described her as the middle school principal who you don’t like, but you know is doing good things for you.

the fact that if you map her presentation onto another person and people come out thinking the hillary analogue lost points to as much

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 26, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Condiv posted:

he started discussing with you, and you immediately pivoted away from discussion of sweatshops into complaining about how unreasonable other people are. i kinda doubt you would actually love to have a real discussion on the subject

Well Condiv I admit to some ignorance on the subject. How do you think the United States should work to amend free trade agreements and WTO regulations to serve the interests of Bangladeshi textile workers? Obviously we want them to be able to have jobs, but not to be forced into jobs they don't want. We also want those jobs to be safe.

If we were to talk to workers in Vietnamese export oriented industries, what changes do you think they would want to improve their conditions?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't even think that's it. Consensus seemed to be that Clinton obliterated him three times in a row--in fact, she managed to get in a few good zingers too, like the one where she insinuated that no matter what new tax laws were passed that Trump would find a way around paying his (it prompted the "nasty woman" comment).

If that performance had been buttressed by even nominal charisma, no BUTTERY MAILS bullshit and Jim Comey not deciding to put his finger on the scale with a week to go, she'd have won.

Gish Galloping is what Romney did to Obama in Debate #1 in 2012--he lied so often, so easily and so calmly and Obama just didn't bring his A-game that night.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I think the timing of the accusations was incredibly suspect, as well as the political affiliations of said accusers. I also think "most likely accidental grab rear end" and "12 year old poor adolescent humor" don't rise to the level of "sexmonster" when we have Trump in the big chair

Edit: Also lol that most of the people who were insisting Franken get kicked to the curb were the same people chanting "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good" at Bernie supporters

Every loving time someone mentions Franken in any thread you always get at least one person sprinting in to say that he was actually good and did nothing wrong. It's almost comical.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Squalid posted:

Well Condiv I admit to some ignorance on the subject. How do you think the United States should work to amend free trade agreements and WTO regulations to serve the interests of Bangladeshi textile workers? Obviously we want them to be able to have jobs, but not to be forced into jobs they don't want. We also want those jobs to be safe.

this is pretty simple. if goods are being made to be sold in the US, then the companies making said goods have to meet or exceed US labor law, including the minimum wage.

quote:

If we were to talk to workers in Vietnamese export oriented industries, what changes do you think they would want to improve their conditions?

lets not pretend you actually care about what they think. you already said that sweatshops are a non-issue, despite them causing tons of suicides

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 26, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Tons of people liked Hillary and seeing Trump follow her around like an overbearing misogynist rang true with a lot of people but we don't talk about the sexism involved in 2016 so

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Saagonsa posted:

Every loving time someone mentions Franken in any thread you always get at least one person sprinting in to say that he was actually good and did nothing wrong. It's almost comical.

Is there like an D&D Tropes thread where these types of phenomena are documented with examples? I'd love to see something like that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaGreen/status/1067122388905672704

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1067111118416564229?s=21

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Typo posted:

this was actually a myth I think, it could be true but there were no reliable polling data telling us that radio listeners thought nixon won while tv watchers thought jfk won. It's one of the historical myth that's being repeated so often it has became accepted historical fact.

The story behind the 1960 debate was that it was the first televised Presidential debate--and out of 70 million who tuned in something like 65 million were television viewers. Those people saw a relaxed, confident Kennedy and a sweaty, hunched-over Nixon (which was most likely due to the surgery he'd had on his leg a couple weeks earlier). Ironically, in all those pictures, Kennedy is probably in more pain than Nixon could conceive of.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

eke out posted:

this is actually even more true when you look at the full remarks, where she comes perilously close to actually saying outright that republicans are just racists

gonna need to temper this rhetoric if she wants a paid position on fox news

maybe she can be the new megyn kelly on msnbc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kidkissinger posted:

they also do live fire exercises but that isn't a justification for shooting at them either

These guys are making it pretty clear it will be. If someone is such an ammoral slug that gassing refugee children is acceptable that person will find a way to make it fine when they are shot. Look up the NYT stories on kids getting killed in Gaza for a examples.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Condiv posted:

this is pretty simple. if goods are being made to be sold in the US, then the companies making said goods have to meet or exceed US labor law, including the minimum wage.

I'm sure foreign workers would appreciate earning US minimum wages. However if the US implemented such a law do you really think it would help Vietnamese workers? If a company has to pay the same wages there and here, but also has to pay extra transportation and logistic costs for the Vietnamese factory, it seems probable to me that this would result in no trade again, and would be very close to a regime of pure punitive protectionism.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought she got a boost after every debate, the problem was the election took place long enough after the last debate that none of them ended up mattering

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which is worse, getting pepper sprayed or tear gassed? Because they seem different.

I caught just one whiff of tear gas, at the Battle of Backwater Bridge at standing rock. In a crowd of near-panicked people, experienced activists helped the tightly packed group of now-blind people shuffle together off the bridge without trampling each-other as we all held our breath. It sucked.

Got pepper sprayed from toe to tip the day of th e inauguration. Had my eyes closed as the spray hit, and I kept them closed. Nothing burned, as I stood there motionless with my eyes closed. It's when you move about, or try to wipe up, that it burns like a motherfucker. You'll feel it again with each of your next few showers. Have someone good at conversation chat with you for the first hour or so, it doesn't hurt as much if you give your mind something to focus on.

I think I'd prefer pepper spray; not fully decided yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I'm grateful to Beto's failed run for getting a bunch of really cool people elected in Texas, and I would have been ecstatic for him to get rid of Ted Cruz, but I do not want him to run for or become President.

gently caress, just have him run for Senate in Texas again next time, why not

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Squalid posted:

I'm sure foreign workers would appreciate earning US minimum wages. However if the US implemented such a law do you really think it would help Vietnamese workers? If a company has to pay the same wages there and here, but also has to pay extra transportation and logistic costs for the Vietnamese factory, it seems probable to me that this would result in no trade again, and would be very close to a regime of pure punitive protectionism.

excellent theory, Mr. Yglesias. let's interview the three hundred dead in a Bangladeshi factory collapse, on whether they would prefer to die to keep your pants cheap.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Lightning Knight posted:

Every journalist who uses euphemisms like "racially charged" should just be fired upon submitting their stories to the editor.
Yeah, no, reporters know that it's racism. But they've also been told by editors that they have to say "racially charged," because if they actually use the term "racist" then A) the publisher will murder them, B) the readership will be pissed, or C) advertisers will stop buying ads.

I have worked in a few newsrooms and have friends still in journalism. Reporters and copy editors, on average, are far to the left of editors, who are far to the left of publishers.

(Incidentally, this is why one of the best ways to learn real political dirt is to ask a reporter off the record - because guaranteed, they know things that they can't print without losing their jobs.)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lemming posted:

I thought she got a boost after every debate, the problem was the election took place long enough after the last debate that none of them ended up mattering

in the age of social media and 5 second news cycles they need to move the debates to be within like 2 days of election day

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Alligator of Disapproval gains another cheerful tooth.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Squalid posted:

"Really, paying poverty wages for jobs in other countries is helping them out, otherwise there wouldn't be jobs"

pretend I linked a Ha-Joon Chang book here

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Typo posted:

in the age of social media and 5 second news cycles they need to move the debates to be within like 2 days of election day

At least one debate should be less than a week before election day. Face-to-face meetings need to be kept fresh in voters' minds and the goddamn news cycle moved insanely fast in 2016.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I apologize but I’m really feeling the “every day is 10,000 years long” news effect as of late: do we know why the negative response spiked?

I’m always curious if this is something like the Dow making GBS threads the bed, the disgusting treatment of immigrants, the complete humiliation of the #MAGA concept by the house switching 40 seats to the Dems, etc etc.

Edit:

corn in the bible posted:

I'm grateful to Beto's failed run for getting a bunch of really cool people elected in Texas, and I would have been ecstatic for him to get rid of Ted Cruz, but I do not want him to run for or become President.

The leftist circular firing squad does a really good job at making GBS threads on things while ignoring any sort of good that came out of things happening. It’s why I’m honestly starting to believe Trump, despite having a 60% strong disapproval rating, has a real chance of reelection in 2020.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 26, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If anyone is into this sort of thing, NASA is going to land another rover or some sort of craft on Mars within the hour. Nerd Twitter is going nuts over it.

https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1067131346424750080

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ripoff posted:

I apologize but I’m really feeling the “every day is 10,000 years long” news effect as of late: do we know why the negative response spiked?

I’m always curious if this is something like the Dow making GBS threads the bed, the disgusting treatment of immigrants, the complete humiliation of the #MAGA concept by the house switching 40 seats to the Dems, etc etc.

Probably a combination of all three would be my guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

IMO he'd be a very strong vice presidential pick but I agree that he shouldn't run for president

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Squalid posted:

next you're gonna start arguing that the minimum wage actually hurts low wage workers :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

next you're gonna start arguing that the minimum wage actually hurts low wage workers :chloe:

I said this last time but Squalid is easier to understand if you look at his posting through the lens that profit and business function takes precedence over human life