Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

keykey posted:

I understand being salty about being poor is kind of "your thing" and all, but go out there and do something about your situation: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968008

lol, gently caress off shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

keykey posted:

I understand being salty about being poor is kind of "your thing" and all, but go out there and do something about your situation: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968008

The only worse choice than going to law school.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

keykey posted:

Are you advocating for suicide? Please don't.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Are you seriously telling someone to go get loaded up with student loans while stupid crashes the economy?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When I think "easy routes to a career", I sure do think of loving graduate degrees

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

1 poo poo head is but a single component, which is why we have 3 branches of government, it's not like a president is the god ruler of the universe or anything, if that were the case we'd be hosed every election cycle. In any case, I'm sorry I forgot the golden rule of the internet: social justice is good for everything, business is bad and is what screws absolutely everything up. Sorry for bringing it up. I thought we could have an adult conversation, you can go back to your regular scheduled AI now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

keykey posted:

adult conversation

lmao

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yep, the nation is awash in college graduates who can't afford to repay their student loans and have found out their degrees are effectively worth less than the paper they're printed on - but let's double down on that and saddle up to six figures of debt that can literally only be discharged via death. What could possibly go wrong?!?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wanna have a conversation but first let me humblebrag about making 200k+ a year

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
any time some poor idiot normal citizen says some right wing talking point about "Tax Brackets" like that concept applies to anyone who isn't making $3m+ a year I immediately can identify they know gently caress-all about not being salty poors.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

keykey posted:

1 poo poo head is but a single component, which is why we have 3 branches of government, it's not like a president is the god ruler of the universe or anything, if that were the case we'd be hosed every election cycle. In any case, I'm sorry I forgot the golden rule of the internet: social justice is good for everything, business is bad and is what screws absolutely everything up. Sorry for bringing it up. I thought we could have an adult conversation, you can go back to your regular scheduled AI now.

Stop being a poor; get a mba is not an adult conversation.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

keykey posted:

"All right, now that I've given my hot take and gotten the last word in, you all can shut up"

BraveUlysses posted:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ask me about having 3 college degrees which oops makes me unemployable in the town I live in (as a teacher) FML

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No degree, no experience, got a great job at 39. I know plenty of people with great jobs but they are saddled with crushing amounts of debt.

Edit: now reading it's more than 15% of GMs total workforce.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 26, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

drat... and y'all think I'm insufferable.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rhyno posted:

No degree, no experience, got a great job at 39. I know plenty of people with great jobs but they are saddled with crushing amounts of debt.

When do we declare that the US Auto Industry is second-tier? I mean, aside from trucks?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Prong Song posted:

When do we declare that the US Auto Industry is second-tier? I mean, aside from trucks?

I think that was de-facto declared in the '80s when it was supplanted jointly by the Germans and Japanese. The Koreans have been added to the matrix lately.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I’m so sick of winning

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Same, except I'm 35.

What pisses me off is when I was finishing high school college was presented as literally the only career track, with a caveat carved out for military enlistment or other civil service volunteering so you could pay for college later. The concept of entering the trades or *gasp* teaching yourself enough to earn certifications outside of a formal classroom was anathema to almost all of my teachers.

If someone had steered me in the right direction around the end of my junior year my career track would have looked substantially different than it has, and I likely wouldn't have been stuck in a dead-end job with no raises for the better part of a decade in the mid-late 2000s.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

What pisses me off is when I was finishing high school college was presented as literally the only career track

I teach this in class. I ask "how many of you were told that you have to do well in high school to get into a good college to get a good job?" EVERY SINGLE STUDENT raises their hands. They are shocked when I tell them that is a new construct and that wasn't told to students even 20 years ago.

The system has generated this doctrine that everyone needs to see college as a path and that's just bullshit. College has its place. So do the trades and other service careers.

At the same time this doctrine has arisen, the cost of going to college has, in many cases, tripled. It's some serious bullshit fuckery we're doing to an entire generation of students when they go from having to ask permission to go to the bathroom to making life-effecting decisions within moments.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
this used to be good and now it's not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ArMUKYf_0

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I hope Larry made the cut :ohdear:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The manager at Lexus BEGGED me not to leave and offered me anything he reasonably could. No sir I'm going to college like a good boy. Always wonder what life would have been like. It was a good place.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yay Mars lander made it!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

meatpimp posted:

They are shocked when I tell them that is a new construct and that wasn't told to students even 20 years ago.

My district must have been ahead of the curve - graduated in 2001, and I never heard more than lip service or some form of "you could get into a vocation BUT college is better because..." for alternatives to college.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

Yay Mars lander made it!

It owns. We're gonna find out what's up with Mars'(s?) core.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

keykey posted:

social justice is good for everything, business is bad and is what screws absolutely everything up.

Agreed unironically

mewse
May 2, 2006

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

We're heading over in a bit to start scraping popcorn ceiling. Yuck.

Considering doing that when we paint and floor the living room.
I swear it was someone here who posted a video of a guy that made a DIY rig to make that lot less messy. Basically a big wide funnel attached to the scraper, maybe with a vacuum? I need to find that.
What's ya'll's feelings on ceiling treatments? Knockdown, or just treat like a wall and patch & paint? Definitely no more goddamn popcorn.

everdave posted:

I’m sure it didn’t get national attention but a man 2 days from retirement was killed in his new GTR by some bitch rear end punk throwing concrete off the bridge in Nashville. Haven’t caught anybody.

My wife caught a brick through the windshield of her rental car many years ago, fortunately on the passenger side. Rattled her (and me, when she called me) pretty badly. Most likely tossed off the overpass she was traveling under, but there was no real way to tell.

edit: college would be a lot more effective choice if it didn't cost more than you could make in a lifetime while still eating and living indoors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

Are you advocating for suicide? Please don't.

:golfclap:

meatpimp posted:

I teach this in class. I ask "how many of you were told that you have to do well in high school to get into a good college to get a good job?" EVERY SINGLE STUDENT raises their hands. They are shocked when I tell them that is a new construct and that wasn't told to students even 20 years ago.

The system has generated this doctrine that everyone needs to see college as a path and that's just bullshit. College has its place. So do the trades and other service careers.

At the same time this doctrine has arisen, the cost of going to college has, in many cases, tripled. It's some serious bullshit fuckery we're doing to an entire generation of students when they go from having to ask permission to go to the bathroom to making life-effecting decisions within moments.

20 years ago is when I was getting that line of bullshit, but otherwise I completely agree. The costs of post-secondary education are loving astronomical, and the value of that education is arguably decreasing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Oh hey, a bazillion posts in the chat thread. Someone's gonna get probed.

edit: there you go

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, I bought one, it was a piece of poo poo and the dealership treated me like a piece of poo poo, both pre-purchased and post-purchase. I already whined about it in the hatchback thread and in my Miata build thread.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Goober Peas posted:

This morning. It rattles a bit but it is fun.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:frogsiren: SHEEP GAME :frogsiren:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

everdave posted:

I’m sure it didn’t get national attention but a man 2 days from retirement was killed in his new GTR by some bitch rear end punk throwing concrete off the bridge in Nashville. Haven’t caught anybody.

I saw that, the size of the concrete was big enough that anyone doing it should have realized they were attempting (and committing) murder. I mean, a rock sized piece alone could kill, but this was obviously going to serious mess up the car/and or person.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I’ll allow it because let’s be honest, making an already gaudy Lambo even more gaudy is just playing the game.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I’ll allow it because let’s be honest, making an already gaudy Lambo even more gaudy is just playing the game.

Burn the fucker to the ground and acid bath the earth the ashes fell to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Goober Peas posted:

The newest Fords I've driven have been the Transit vans, which are honestly pretty great as far as vans go. I mean, they're vans, but they have some nice features.

Speaking of, I dunno how many people here have experience with vans, but if one were to be shopping for one, in say the 2010-2015 range, would you choose Chevy/GMC or Ford?

I'm kinda looking into them for...reasons, and it seems like E-250s or 350s seem to be cheaper. I've driven a few different variants of the Chevy/GMC ones, and while they're ok, In my experience they seem to have a lot of transmission issues or rear diff issues. Other than that they seem to be pretty decent, if very simplistic vehicles. I mean, they haven't really updated them in like 30 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

• Locked thread