Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thefakenews posted:

There’s a preview linked in the first backers-only update. On a quick look at the basic moves, there isn’t a move remotely like Defy Danger. Like, there’s not even a move equivalent to Act Under Fire that I can see.

I'll back it to check it out, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ragusa, Fabio Lopiano's follow-up to Calimala, is on Kickstarter until December 15. I've actually played it; it's a pretty solid Euro. Here's a picture of an end game state:

Players take it in turns to place a house on one of the intersections, and that house grants the benefits of the three hexes surrounding it. Building outside the city grants access to resources; building inside lets you use them by activating city hexes. The trick is that when you activate a city hex, every other house on that hex also activates in clockwise order from yours. So being the first person into a hex can be important, even if you don't immediately get maximum benefit for it. Points are earned by building to the walls, completing missions and trading goods. 12 turns each and it's done.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I really like the mix of short play time and meaningful decisions and the right timing in Calimala so I might take a shot at that one.

Thanks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

I really like the mix of short play time and meaningful decisions and the right timing in Calimala so I might take a shot at that one.

Thanks

Not a Kickstarter, at least not any more, but you should check out Bomarzo. It's the absolute peak of tight and crunchy.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

Not a Kickstarter, at least not any more, but you should check out Bomarzo. It's the absolute peak of tight and crunchy.

I will check it out, thanks

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The DCC Annual kickstarter is now giving out *5* free pdf adventures if you get a book.

This is a really great deal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-annual-and-other-forbidden-tomes

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Kamigakari has 5 days left and has reached its last stretch goal- I don't know that they'll be adding any more, since they specifically mention not wanting to overreach, but they'll be translating and doing both sourcebooks as well now, complete with new pledge tiers that add PDF+POD options for either just the first sourcebook or both.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Merauder posted:

Buht thousands and millions of dollars on Kickstarter means they're all lining their pockets with gold and can afford to do everything I want them to do and they suck and are greedy if they don't
:qqsay:

Bummer to see this, but just goes to show that even at some of the highest levels, board games are simply not the most lucrative of enterprises and budgets often live on a knife's edge subject to so many whims of the market. It's hard to know what is going to pay off and what isn't, and if you're CMON, it's hard to think that A Song of Ice & Fire is one that ends up in the latter category, even if it was an expensive jumping on point for that particular product.

I kinda wonder if the mega-mini boardgame kickstarter market has reached saturation. The kickstarters for them, CMON and otherwise, don't seem to be raking it in quite like they were a year or two ago. Maybe everyone who backs the things realized they have literally a thousand minis they never use sitting on their shelf.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

I kinda wonder if the mega-mini boardgame kickstarter market has reached saturation. The kickstarters for them, CMON and otherwise, don't seem to be raking it in quite like they were a year or two ago. Maybe everyone who backs the things realized they have literally a thousand minis they never use sitting on their shelf.

It does seem pretty easy to find even multiple games for a lot of oddball niches.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A Thousand Arrows has reached its funding goal with about 5 days to go along with another backer-count stretch goal for some more playbooks. Unless it receives a massive wave of last minute funding I don't predict it's going to make many of its monetary stretch goals but at least it's got enough to get made.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

This, plus the fact that a lot of games are being delivered super close / after they hit shelves. For every hit game there are a bunch that will sit there unplayed with little value on the secondary market.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair in recent months there've been an unusual number of high-profile minis projects on KS all at the same time, right during peak holiday spending season as well, so it may just be that people are simply running out of cash to pledge. Having said that I do feel like there are increasing complaints on BGG and elsewhere about the CMON-style Kickstarter model of absolute shitloads of KS exclusives and ever-increasing 'optional buys' to get everything, so there's probably a bit of KS fatigue going on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's definitely flags being raised that we're in the midst of a board game bubble where the market is just oversaturated with board games of all sorts thanks in part to Kicksterters and general increased awareness from the internet. It's only a matter of time before the bubble pops.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just saw a miniatures fest called Reich Hunters on KS. Minimum pledge is $100, and shipping is likely to be $40 in the US, so I hope that bubble bursts soon.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

The_Doctor posted:

I just saw a miniatures fest called Reich Hunters on KS. Minimum pledge is $100, and shipping is likely to be $40 in the US, so I hope that bubble bursts soon.

You're... you're hunting the Reich in this game, RIGHT.

...Right?

:ohno:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

GimpInBlack posted:

You're... you're hunting the Reich in this game, RIGHT.

...Right?

:ohno:
Are we talking about Reichbusters? Bust those reichs.

e: The miniatures stuff on KS is kind of getting out of hand. Gotta stand out from the crowd somehow though and having huge numbers can kind of do that I guess? Who need game play, gimme my minis.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2018

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

The_Doctor posted:

As a BiLingual Bonus, Reich is also the german word for wealthy. So in a way, they are both xD

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Xelkelvos posted:

There's definitely flags being raised that we're in the midst of a board game bubble where the market is just oversaturated with board games of all sorts thanks in part to Kicksterters and general increased awareness from the internet. It's only a matter of time before the bubble pops.

It was definitely more difficult to raise funds this year for Bee Lives than anticipated. We did great, but there are soooo many good games on kickstarter these days. And by that I mean legit good games, not just piles of good looking miniatures. Something has to give and I don't know what it is. Board games can't get cheaper. For the most part they are already rock bottom on price. I know I certainly didn't make my game to actually make money.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

So, this week a kickstarter for what seemed like a decent little card game - not some huge miniature-fest - seemed to be on track to funding in just a few days.

So the creator cancelled it at 93%

The project was clearly going to fund, but since the actual goal was to fund at like 1000% with a bunch of secret stretch goals like their last few projects, they pulled it.

I'm really not sure I like this intentional shifting goalposts style of project management.

Did the project really not kick off because of bad timing, or is the market just that drat saturated right now?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Umbra Dubium posted:

I'm really not sure I like this intentional shifting goalposts style of project management.

On the one hand it's absolutely poo poo. On the other, at least this group cancelled rather than taking the money and then never delivering a product due to cost overruns, which is usually how it goes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress 'em.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This is definitely something where the market will fix itself. I personally have enough board games I never play with tons of minis I have backed to ever consider another such product again. No matter how good it looks or how much I like the theme.

Now I just mainly stick to rpg pdfs that are mostly already written /a cool idea for cheap.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bieeanshee posted:

gently caress 'em.
Er... okay? They're a pretty friendly independent games company and their games are enjoyable and review well, but sure, gently caress em for deciding to relaunch because of misjudging their KS funding goals and public interest.

How does cancelling a campaign even affect you, geez.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm not going to poo poo on companies too much for playing the KS game, but they are being deliberately deceptive. Of the KS projects I've seen a whole bunch of them advertise themselves on the speed of funding, how far past the goal they already are or how many stretch goals have been unlocked because of the implications that go along with that. If the initial goal is an intentionally lowball number or the stretch goals are required for the base game then it kind of defeats the purpose.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know these people from Adam, so all I'm seeing is some jerk asking for a fraction of what he's expecting, and bailing when it doesn't materialize. I have no sympathy.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly, I feel as though as long as you are willing to cut bait before you end up in a situation where you can't fulfill people's pledges (or offer refunds), it's all right to lowball your initial goal so that you can get to the stretch goal phase as soon as possible. There are other crowdfunding sites that would work better for this kind of campaign, but they don't have the same marketing as Kickstarter, so I can't blame people for using the only game in town.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JazzFlight posted:

Er... okay? They're a pretty friendly independent games company and their games are enjoyable and review well, but sure, gently caress em for deciding to relaunch because of misjudging their KS funding goals and public interest.

How does cancelling a campaign even affect you, geez.

It's disingenuous to set funding goals lower than you actually need/want with the expectation that you'll make it up with stretch goal hype money. A lot of kickstarters have done this in the past and a number of them have indeed run into problems delivering after they "funded" because whoops, actually the asking price was too low and their clever plan to secure additional funding didn't pan out the way they did so, uh, sorry I guess. A game that's 93% funded and is on track to reach 100% in a few days isn't an issue with the creator misjudging public interest because clearly the game was set to reach the funding goal they publicly posted, it's an issue with the creator misrepresenting the fact that the funding goal wasn't actually the true funding goal in the first place. Yes, it's better that they yanked it instead of letting it go through and the whole thing turning into a debacle, but if they'd properly set expectations from the beginning then they maybe wouldn't have needed to cancel it in the first place.

And so we're clear it's not like this project was going to just creep over the finish line at the last minute, they cancelled it with 23 days left to go.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I can totally understand why they cancelled the project to try again later. If you read the update about it, they originally planned to launch on the 13th (and had published that date in all their pre-launch promotional material), but Kickstarter's new review process unexpectedly delayed that until the 18th. Because they prefer to launch early in the week, they delayed it until the 20th. But this meant their launch was right around Thanksgiving (when no one is browsing Kickstarter) and Black Friday (when most people's attention is on sales). And then on top of that, the shifted launch date meant one creator didn't have time off work to manage the launch as planned, and then on top of all that the entire household got a stomach bug and spent the launch violently ill.

It's easy to be like "but they'd already made so much money", but the first couple of days is where most projects get 50-75% of their total funding. It's totally understandable that the creator would look at the perfect storm of garbage that went on around their launch and think that maybe relaunching is a good idea. It doesn't have anything to do with greed or stretchgoals or anything other than wanting to give the project the best set of conditions possible.

Their mistake was launching at all after their original date got bumped, but that's a totally understandable error to make considering the pressure they were under.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 27, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

HazCat posted:

I can totally understand why they cancelled the project to try again later. If you read the update about it, they originally planned to launch on the 13th (and had published that date in all their pre-launch promotional material), but Kickstarter's new review process unexpectedly delayed that until the 18th. Because they prefer to launch early in the week, they delayed it until the 20th. But this meant their launch was right around Thanksgiving (when no one is browsing Kickstarter) and Black Friday (when most people's attention is on sales). And then on top of that, the shifted launch date meant one creator didn't have time off work to manage the launch as planned, and then on top of all that the entire household got a stomach bug and spent the launch violently ill.

It's easy to be like "but they'd already made so much money", but the first couple of days is where most projects get 50-75% of their total funding. It's totally understandable that the creator would look at the perfect storm of garbage that went on around their launch and think that maybe relaunching is a good idea. It doesn't have anything to do with greed or stretchgoals or anything other than wanting to give the project the best set of conditions possible.

Their mistake was launching at all after their original date got bumped, but that's a totally understandable error to make considering the pressure they were under.

At the same time the goal they put up for "we will make this game" was on the verge of being met with plenty of time to spare. Thousand Arrows only just now funded with about 3 days to go, it's vanishingly unlikely that it's going to make any of its financial stretch goals, but the people working on it aren't scrapping it and starting over because it made the amount of money they said they needed but didn't blow up beyond that. If a funding goal of $10,000 isn't palatable enough for you to say "mission accomplished" then don't make $10,000 your funding goal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

On the other hand, when a company puts up the real funding goal they get accused of being greedy, using other people to fund their lifestyle, and people skip backing it.

As long as backers keep behaving like libertarian fuckwits, project creators are going to treat them like fuckwits.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, when a company puts up the real funding goal they get accused of being greedy, using other people to fund their lifestyle, and people skip backing it.

As long as backers keep behaving like libertarian fuckwits, project creators are going to treat them like fuckwits.

Is that really a sentiment that comes up that much outside of Frank Trollman's weird conspiracy theories about Rich Thomas?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Customers are bad and dumb, therefore it's okay to use deceptive business practices" is a scorching, nuclear-grade hot take.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That Old Tree posted:

Is that really a sentiment that comes up that much outside of Frank Trollman's weird conspiracy theories about Rich Thomas?

It comes up all the time in the video game KS thread, because a huge segment of backers expect teams of 20 people to spend 2 years making a game for $50k by substituting passion for a living wage, and anyone asking for the actual $2 million it costs to buy software licenses, hardware, office space, and pay wages is a literal thief.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 27, 2018

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I definitely don't need another Blood Bowl team to add to my painting queue, which is why I've just backed the full Zenobian Zeniths team :doh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

I definitely don't need another Blood Bowl team to add to my painting queue, which is why I've just backed the full Zenobian Zeniths team :doh:

Back the good minis for being good, without worrying about how you'll use them or when you'll paint them, because you'll definitely find a use and also backlogs are meant to expand forever exponentially. :colbert:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I was originally going to just buy one or two to use as rogues/thieves, but then realised that non-creepy women BB sculpts are pretty much unique...

Plus nobody has got very far with Amazons in any of the leagues I've been in, so that's my choice for the next season sorted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

It comes up all the time in the video game KS thread, because a huge segment of backers expect teams of 20 people to spend 2 years making a game for $50k by substituting passion for a living wage, and anyone asking for the actual $2 million it costs to buy software licenses, hardware, office space, and pay wages is a literal thief.

Reminding me of the time somebody told Skull Labs during their fundraiser for a quarter of a million dollars that they were, quote, "in the game business not the rent-paying business."

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

glitchkrieg posted:

I do need another blood bowl team, since I only have two right now. I'm not sure I need the death bringers necromantic team as well, but they are very pretty...

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I just got my copy of Cerebria, and it looks pretty great, good production values, and the included organizer is really good. Only 4 months late.

Apparently Deep Space D6 is loving finally shipping to backers in America this week, only a full year late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If folks are interested, with only a few days left Kamigakari updated the pledge levels to finally have an 'All PDFs' tier. It's $55 USD and still gets you coupons for print-on-demand at cost for the physical version.