Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Strike is such a letdown compared to the glorious, building-flattening haymakers MECs could throw in EW :(

e: at the very least, they should have given Strike some kickass canned kill animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The ragdoll bodies helped it a ton too. Nothing more satisfying than flipping the ethereal prime over a guardrail into the abyss or those beautiful, rare punches where you can fastball a corpse into a car that another alien is taking cover behind.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Either Mechatronic or Metal over Flesh Redux (I use both since they don’t conflict) add a full punching build for Sparks that is super good. Can get off like four punches in one turn if you overdrive, and then still use robot blade storm for anything that survives.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mans posted:

Is there anything like the Long war perk pack for WOTC? I just got the expansion and while i'm looking for updated versions of the mod i've noticed that LW threw a hissy fit and didn't port over.

What's the equivalent that we can use in wotc?

It also seems that BleedOutMod, Metal Over Flesh: Upgradeable SPARK

Also, it seems Mcgee's map packs are not compatible with the expansion. What are some cool map packs that I can use?

Aegof above me posted the Long War classes mod that someone ported over, but be aware: The Long War Perk Pack that Pavonis put out and the actual Long War Classes (the latter being present in the linked mod) are very different - the old Perk Pack did not include the Long War specific Secondary Weapons, whereas this one does use them. As a result of this, the Pistol is 100% unused in the Long War classes mod, which means you'll need to find some other way to make use of them, either via adding a standalone class mod to make use of them, or through some other means like the Utility Slot Secondaries mod, or straight-up editting the mod itself to change the Sharpshooter back to using pistols or something.

I won't lie, I would like to see the watered-down version that Pavonis originally put out ported over as well. More diversity, but at the same time, that diversity is not also bogged down by crippling overspecialization, and the original four Secondary Weapons are spread around the new classes.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Strike is such a letdown compared to the glorious, building-flattening haymakers MECs could throw in EW :(

e: at the very least, they should have given Strike some kickass canned kill animations.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728525359 this helps a llittle bit. It's still no EW MEC but its something.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BlazetheInferno posted:

Aegof above me posted the Long War classes mod that someone ported over, but be aware: The Long War Perk Pack that Pavonis put out and the actual Long War Classes (the latter being present in the linked mod) are very different - the old Perk Pack did not include the Long War specific Secondary Weapons, whereas this one does use them. As a result of this, the Pistol is 100% unused in the Long War classes mod, which means you'll need to find some other way to make use of them, either via adding a standalone class mod to make use of them, or through some other means like the Utility Slot Secondaries mod, or straight-up editting the mod itself to change the Sharpshooter back to using pistols or something.

I won't lie, I would like to see the watered-down version that Pavonis originally put out ported over as well. More diversity, but at the same time, that diversity is not also bogged down by crippling overspecialization, and the original four Secondary Weapons are spread around the new classes.

Especially since so many of the new ones are loving terrible. Like the combat knife is just a really bad sword because they needed to gently caress Gunners I guess? Or the holo-targetter which is mathematically never worth using until you're nearly max rank! And the Gauntlet is 'what if we had a class based around just being really bad?'

The Sawn off shotgun and Arc Thrower are at least novel and have some uses.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 24, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The gauntlet is conceptually great but thanks to Pavonis thinking randomness is strategy, it sucks rear end. There used to be a vanilla mod class called Guerilla who could use this enormous explosive strike that could level a whole city block or most of an advent avatar facility. It destroyed everyone’s cover but if you didn’t care about claiming an objective or keeping it safe, it owned as hell.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Stun skills rule though, add that poo poo to RPGO and MOCX/Fulton rewards and have a good time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Always give stun rounds to the classes who can shoot multiple times per turn: skirmishers, akimbo, gunslingers, etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zore posted:

Especially since so many of the new ones are loving terrible. Like the combat knife is just a really bad sword because they needed to gently caress Gunners I guess? Or the holo-targetter which is mathematically never worth using until you're nearly max rank! And the Gauntlet is 'what if we had a class based around just being really bad?'

The Sawn off shotgun and Arc Thrower are at least novel and have some uses.

The Shadow Ops classes pack does a much better job with all of the above, I find.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got War of the Chosen during the sale and I have to ask: is there a mod that removes the rank requirement for the Chosen stronghold convert ops? Everything about the expansion is great, except the Chosen. I just don't find them at all fun to fight and the sooner I can rid my game of them the better.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

The Shadow Ops classes pack does a much better job with all of the above, I find.

I should play with these, I'm just a tiny bit leery of any mod that ditches the base 4 classes altogether. Oh well

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

I should play with these, I'm just a tiny bit leery of any mod that ditches the base 4 classes altogether. Oh well

Don't worry about it, just embrace the RPGOverhaul insanity. If you really wanted to you can still create carbon copies of the original classes anyhow to boot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Don't worry about it, just embrace the RPGOverhaul insanity. If you really wanted to you can still create carbon copies of the original classes anyhow to boot.

That's what I did and by golly, it's just nuts.

Also it's cool how each soldier's "class" changes to the specialization you bought more skills in. That little trick was what convinced me to give it a shot. I was only leery of RPGO because I thought everyone's class was just going to be "soldier" and I am an idiot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rpgo can make some fantastic combinations if you can swing the builds, but I got tired of remembering who was working on what combo or build and decided that classes are fine, thanks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mostly just pick things that look cool and give the soldier a cool class name and icon tbh

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1253020874&searchtext=richard

this was my go to for classes using some long war perks and weapons

some ideas that made it fun: give the sawed off to gunners, the holotargeter to the commando and put a machine gun on the technician. there's some other neat poo poo I did with it, but don't exactly remember what and it looks like there's a version that's rpg overhaul compatible. class edits for skills and loadouts are wicked simple and running aba alongside is a great experience. a couple of the classes are duds, or were at any rate, so mix and match with a few other packs and kill some muthafuckas.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I love the concept of RPGo, but for all the immense control it gives you over every aspect of your character, the randomized Squaddie perks that you have no control over have a big enough impact on your soldier that the inability to control those at all drives me up the wall, triggering some OCD-like reaction in my brain.

The entire point of the mod is to have complete and total control over every statistical element of your character's progression, except let's throw something in at the very start that's completely random and you have no control over, THIS ISN'T RIGHT! AUGH!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BlazetheInferno posted:

THIS ISN'T RIGHT! AUGH!

Shattered

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Negative Quirk Gained: Fear of Pacifist Perk

Pacifist: +Squad defense. -Damage dealt after each kill.

aegof fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 26, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BlazetheInferno posted:

I love the concept of RPGo, but for all the immense control it gives you over every aspect of your character, the randomized Squaddie perks that you have no control over have a big enough impact on your soldier that the inability to control those at all drives me up the wall, triggering some OCD-like reaction in my brain.

The entire point of the mod is to have complete and total control over every statistical element of your character's progression, except let's throw something in at the very start that's completely random and you have no control over, THIS ISN'T RIGHT! AUGH!

Yea, on the other hand... Once you can recruit straight squaddies, which happens real quick, that's very much not a big deal.

e: What is a big deal is that the guy who makes RPGO just broke it somehow in the latest release and now the button to spend AP on your soldier's stats doesn't even appear in the barracks at all, haha. Hope you liked having 67 aim for, well, ever!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 26, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Not playing with a lot of the crazy mods, mostly cosmetic and bug fix stuff, though I did put in that Tree view mod linked a couple pages back.

Really enjoying my campaign so far... got lucky with two Rookie scans early, so my roster is already up to like 24 soldiers now with most at Squaddie level. The Lost are a neat mechanic, and I ran into the Assassin Chosen who was initially an rear end in a top hat, but the last two times she's shown up I've basically kicked her rear end immediately.

I'm digging the random XCom perks... haven't grabbed many yet, but in using a show skills mod and I've got a Sergeant Sharpshooter that has Run & Gun, which sounds HILARIOUS if it lets me yellow move and still use the sniper rifle. I have another Sharpshooter that got Shredder Rounds so I'm gonna make him a revolver fiend to shoot every rear end in a top hat in sight.

My Jane Kelly got Killzone at Lieutenant level so I grabbed it, only one so far. Did a random mission where I managed to deep flank her and then had a sniper blast a mixed pod and drop the Advent Captain... snakelady, a regular trooper, and Priest all dash into the killzone and are immediately splattered. Was awesome.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, on the other hand... Once you can recruit straight squaddies, which happens real quick, that's very much not a big deal.

e: What is a big deal is that the guy who makes RPGO just broke it somehow in the latest release and now the button to spend AP on your soldier's stats doesn't even appear in the barracks at all, haha. Hope you liked having 67 aim for, well, ever!

Do you have the detailed soldier stat mod? It's integrated into RPGO already and overrides the stat button if you have it as well. Found that one out the hard way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aegof posted:

Negative Quirk Gained: Fear of Pacifist Perk

Pacifist: +Squad defense. -Damage dealt after each kill.

Lol why would you even apply to XCOM then squaddie

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zore posted:

Do you have the detailed soldier stat mod? It's integrated into RPGO already and overrides the stat button if you have it as well. Found that one out the hard way

Yea, I was using detailed soldier lists but I disabled that one to see if it was causing the problem. Is there a good way to further clean poo poo out/does disabling it in the launcher not nescesarily fix overwriting issues ingame?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I accidentally clicked through the tutorial for it so I missed it. Are the skills Templars, Reapers, Skirmishers can get limited by the amount of AP you have to spend? So If I wanted to get all of them in a certain rank, I can use them all in combat?

Also, what's the best way to use the Reaper? Of all the special classes, I'm having a hard time using that one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jimbot posted:

I accidentally clicked through the tutorial for it so I missed it. Are the skills Templars, Reapers, Skirmishers can get limited by the amount of AP you have to spend? So If I wanted to get all of them in a certain rank, I can use them all in combat?

Also, what's the best way to use the Reaper? Of all the special classes, I'm having a hard time using that one.

yes, claymore & remote start respectively

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Reapers totally change how they play once you get a squad size upgrade.

Initially you just use them as your initial scout, re-shadow once you've cleared out the first wave and need to do some more scouting, but mostly they're just a regular shooter, because you need that fourth gun.

Once you get a squad size upgrade, though, they turn into a near-permanent scout. Stay in shadow, never shoot (except for Remote Start, and guaranteed killshots once you get the relevant ability), and have perfect information to ensure you never get a bad activation. And you get to re-enter shadow if they do need to go loud to resolve a situation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Reapers are so amazing. Even more so on non-timed missions because they can almost solo the drat things if there are enough explosives.

But yes, use Reapers for scouting, grab the talents that give them more/better Claymores, Remote Start, Target Definition, and let them beat up stupid/dumb/gay ADVENT that can't figure out what is making everything blow up around them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reapers are basically trading a bunch of the utility another soldier would give you in exchange for guaranteeing you only have to fight 1 crew of aliens at a time because they are Super Scouts. That's a pretty bad trade when it's 1 out of your 4 soldiers and it can't do almost anything without losing its gimmick, and a stonking amazing trade later on when it's 1 out of 6 soldiers and it can still attack without losing shadow.

A big thing that makes reapers so good later on is the skill that says it keeps the chance to reveal the reaper from increasing if they get a kill. This description is fantastically incomplete and does not mention that it makes the reveal chance start at 0% on kills from shadow instead of the normal 50%, so it lets the reaper finish off any number of low health enemies for 0 risk. I didn't know this on my first WOTC campaign and thought reapers were merely "pretty good." now that I know that...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I thought that only worked for the last remaining alien in a pod. You mean as long as you kill an enemy in a pod in Shadow, even if there are others remaining, you won't get revealed?

That's insane.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As long as your attack is a kill shot, you aren't revealed period (with that skill.)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
And the game even lets you have two Reapers. God drat.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Digirat posted:

This description is fantastically incomplete and does not mention that it makes the reveal chance start at 0% on kills from shadow instead of the normal 50%, so it lets the reaper finish off any number of low health enemies for 0 risk.

I had to do a double take. I think during the promotional run for WotC they described it in the correct way so I never got tripped up by this. Yeah that description really undersells it.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016
Later in the game, you don't even have to settle for finishing off low health enemies. If you're lucky enough to roll a Reaper with both Deadeye and Tactical Rigging (for Talon Rounds) and have a decent laser sight to spare, you can pretty reliably pop anything short of a Heavy MEC in one shot, every other turn.

I've never understood the people who are down on Reapers. They're complete monsters lategame, but even early on, the claymore will pretty reliably wreck one pod, and, less reliably, they'll occasionally make ridiculous plays off of remote start. Plus, they're essentially gamebreaking in that they're the only class that can do proper recon.

That said, it does feel lovely when an enemy "coincidently" wanders into them out of position and they get shot to poo poo.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Holy gently caress. I rarely actually get opportunities to hit those HUGE explosives with Remote Start - you know, the ones that seem to level half the map? In this Legacy Op I'm doing, though, the chance finally just came up with a huge gas tank attached to an abandoned power substation. I set the thing off.... and the entire loving building just flat out disappeared. No joke! There's not so much as a ruined wall left standing. The entire structure is just.... gone.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stop the reaper hate.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Reapers want so badly to be sneaky, badass assassins, but my character pool demands they actually be goofy things like dudes running around in top hats, a dude in a ww1 type flight cap, and a random person in a baseball hat. Its great.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
This Legacy Op is being insanely generous. I know, in theory there's no such thing as a bad party.... but that hasn't been my experience in the past at all. There are some compositions that I just really, really do not like.

THIS team? I started with a SPARK, a Templar, a Ranger, and a Grenadier. On the second mission I picked up a Reaper, and now the fourth just gave me a Psi Op. I'm just.... loving destroying everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Digirat posted:

A big thing that makes reapers so good later on is the skill that says it keeps the chance to reveal the reaper from increasing if they get a kill. This description is fantastically incomplete and does not mention that it makes the reveal chance start at 0% on kills from shadow instead of the normal 50%, so it lets the reaper finish off any number of low health enemies for 0 risk.

Actually, this is slightly incorrect.

The reveal chance always starts at zero. However, without that Silent Killer perk, as soon as you take your first shot, it increases to 50%. The increase to the reveal chance happens after the shot, but before the roll. That's why it stays at zero if you only take killshots.

Also,

Fuzz posted:

I've got a Sergeant Sharpshooter that has Run & Gun, which sounds HILARIOUS if it lets me yellow move and still use the sniper rifle.

No; but it DOES let you BLUE-move and shoot the Sniper Rifle.