Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Randy's been quoted as regretting his vote there, too. We were so close to Susie winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
How do y'all remember all the contestants from years ago i can barely remember anyone from last year

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have like an encyclopedic knowledge of everything that's happened on every Big Brother season in my head but at one point of this thread I forgot who "Wendell" was.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wendell was my pregame winner pick. It was just last season... and during this season I forgot who won Ghost Island.

God, Ghost Island was poo poo.

Not Wendell though. He's great.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its easier to remember the seasons i think when you skip for a couple years and then try to binge 2 or 3 at once. but from what i heard about heroes/hustlers/healers and ghost island eh im just probably going to leave them skipped. the only reason i came back to watch this season was because of the john hennigan connection. but man i cant even remember some of the early boots this season, it really does begin to get hard the more seasons that rack up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think its a frequency/immersion thing. If you binge them then you can absorb everything at once and it might stick. If you're watching week to week its like 1 hour a week and maybe a couple of more on the internet or RHAP over the course of a few months. It just doesn't "stick" with me the way Big Brother or sports do that I can immerse in.

And yeah, I probably have clearer memories of the earlier seasons i binged than I do the more recent ones I watched week to week.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

but from what i heard about heroes/hustlers/healers and ghost island eh im just probably going to leave them skipped.

ghost island is great from a nostalgia standpoint, they spend a loooooooot of time saying "remember THIS season? Remember THAT season????" and not much else. the gameplay isn't particularly inspiring and there aren't many memorable characters (donathan?, michael, dom, wendell i GUESS). there's worse seasons but i'd definitely say don't waste your time unless you're super bored or a completionist

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kellen gets some screentime which is a drat shame. And the way people talk about Donathan makes it seem like he's the poster child for the magic of the edit. He would have gotten as many votes as Laurel did in the end (and she herself was why we couldn't have nice things).

Dom and Wendell were cool but this was another case of being handed a game full of arrogance and morons.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

I was trying to figure this out for a while and I think I may have figured it out. Of the 3 pre-merge idol, the green one is the only one unaccounted for. Christian and Gabby know they don't have it. If John has it, it's gone. If Dan has it, it doesn't matter what he does with it because he's getting nullified and voted out. The only other person who could have it is Alison; by stealing her vote you potentially spook her into playing her idol if she has it. By stealing Alison and nullifying/voting Dan they are pretty much guaranteed the green idol is flushed out of the game.
This is clever. If that's not what they were thinking it should have been.

CODChimera posted:

After that play I was expecting Dan to lose his poo poo and could you even blame him? Playing the idol correctly and still going home has to hurt a lot.

I can't believe how good this season has gotten, I need to go back and rewatch though because I'm kinda confused as to whos working with who.
The idol rules parchment probably says any votes cast against you will not count. Unless it has a little asterisk and fine print on it I'd be pissed and say I was lied to by production which I think is sort of how the Australian Survivor player reacted.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

This is clever. If that's not what they were thinking it should have been.

It is clever but its apparently not true. Nick said in that interview that he basically was hoping that if he tricked Dan into not using his idol then the idol nullifier wouldn't have gotten revealed and Nick would have gotten the credit for that eviction instead of Carl. And Alison was the person he thought he could do it to and mend easiest afterwards (also he wanted to troll her).

Which is actually pretty clever in its own right.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spergatory posted:

Mike White is getting on my loving nerves, and I'll tell you why. If you listen to his confessionals, you'll notice that he only ever talks about "the experience," "going further," and "making it to the end." I have yet to hear the word "win" come out of his mouth, and you know why that is? Because he can't win, and he loving knows it. He's a famous loving screenwriter and nobody there is giving him another million dollars. But he's not content to just have his experience and let it end when it ends, oh no; he wants to be nothing less than a zero vote finalist, and he is willing to knowingly kill any potential excitement the season has in order to accomplish that end. He's all of the worst qualities of last season's Laurel and Kellyn combined; playing to make it as far as possible with an endgame he knows he is destined to lose because he is unwilling to take risks, and beating the Original Tribe Strong drum and actively trying to ensure a boring season despite allegedly being a fan. I mean, say what you want about Kellyn, but she was at least doing what she thought was best in pursuit of winning the game. Mike is willing to screw over his allies and the audience to ensure his Survivor Experience™ lasts as long as possible. It sucks, he sucks, I'm glad his plan failed and I hope he gets voted the gently caress out for it. :byewhore:
you got some poo poo for this take and I don't agree with it either but if it makes you feel any better i just listened to Brent Wolgamott go on a virtually identical rant on Mike White in the RHAP Big Brother live feed correspondents' draft the other day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand "live feed correspondent" suggest its Rob's Big Brother Live Feed guy and you should never listen to them. Everyone knows people who obsess and report on BB feeds are insane assholes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Fast Luck posted:

The idol rules parchment probably says any votes cast against you will not count. Unless it has a little asterisk and fine print on it I'd be pissed and say I was lied to by production which I think is sort of how the Australian Survivor player reacted.

Yeah, if the only way to find out about the very existence Idol Nullifier was to either find it or have it played against you, that's uncool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, if the only way to find out about the very existence Idol Nullifier was to either find it or have it played against you, that's uncool.

Eh, its not like anyone knows about any of the other secret powers out there. Hell, they only know there's idols because they've watched the show and know its such a staple of things. There was a time no one knew the idols were out there and even the current players don't know how many are out there.

I feel like the problem is that idols have been around so long and have become some ubiquitous that people kind of see them as a "right" instead of a special power. For me I kind of see the Immunity Necklace as the "right" and the idol as the screwy thing so if another screwy thing fucks with it, ah well. That's Survivor.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, its not like anyone knows about any of the other secret powers out there. Hell, they only know there's idols because they've watched the show and know its such a staple of things. There was a time no one knew the idols were out there and even the current players don't know how many are out there.

I feel like the problem is that idols have been around so long and have become some ubiquitous that people kind of see them as a "right" instead of a special power. For me I kind of see the Immunity Necklace as the "right" and the idol as the screwy thing so if another screwy thing fucks with it, ah well. That's Survivor.

Well, it's one thing to say 'And there are various secret advantages that can affect how votes are cast,' but the Idol comes with a sheet of instructions and what not, and if it says 'If played, no votes will count against you,' period, and you rely on that, that's uncool. To my mind, at least.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I understand what you're saying, though. I think it just comes down to how much of an "Indelible right" you personally feel the idol or the writing on the parchment is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

There was a time no one knew the idols were out there and even the current players don't know how many are out there.

To be fair, when the Idols were first introduced in Guatemala there specifically was a treemail announcing to all players what the Idol is and that it's hidden out in the jungle somewhere.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 26, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also it took me like 12 years to realize "treemail" was a pun on "e-mail".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

Brent Wolgamott

who?????????????

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Raxivace posted:

Also it took me like 12 years to realize "treemail" was a pun on "e-mail".

I've only just realized this.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

who?????????????
the star of the true crime doc "the staircase," the wolgamonster himself, brent wolgamott!!?\

STAC Goat posted:

On an unrelated subject I'm reading that Nick interview and he says that it wasn't just Alec who tipped him off about the Christian blindside but Mike, Alison, and Angelina all did as well. He says that Mike felt really betrayed and the two of them basically "broke up" the Rockstars the next day.
"When I told you I was planning on betraying and voting out your tribemate and our mutual ally, you used that information to save him. How dare you, I was giving you that information only because I thought you were powerless and couldn't do anything about it. I guess we'll go our separate ways now and I'll simply have to silo myself off with uhh Angelina and Dan." Good play from our boy Mike White

STAC Goat posted:

Alec's probably my least likely option of the bunch since I think he burned too many of the Davids and then pulled that "I too try and trust people" thing in Tribal that made them all double take. Toss in what an obvious threat he is and he's gotta be in high danger right now and the worst person to ally with at the moment.

But like, I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that Alec as we understand his game to be could pull out a win from the jaws of defeat. But the extra stuff we know would seem to suggest he's probably not gonna be sitting at Final Tribal.
Can't Alec say he didn't burn anyone? Made the strike force alliance, but Mike White destroyed it, so he leaked the vote which allowed them to save Christian. Next time up he followed through by voting against Angelina. I mean, I assume he and Allison only did that in response to the vote steal, but can that be proved?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I was wondering about that as well re:

STAC Goat posted:

He says that Mike felt really betrayed and the two of them basically "broke up" the Rockstars the next day.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say "Nick"? I don't really understand how Mike could have felt betrayed in this situation...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vernacular posted:

I was wondering about that as well re:

Are you sure you didn't mean to say "Nick"? I don't really understand how Mike could have felt betrayed in this situation...

Mike told him information in confidence (and is dumb as poo poo??), got mad when Nick used that information to save his ally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the premise seems to me Mike felt they had the trust that led to him tipping Nick off and got upset that he betrayed it. I totally agree that's a "Huh?" reaction from Mike but its tough for me to judge since all we have is Nick's one comment about it. Its theoretically possible Nick really lied to Mike a lot about the Rockstars being his F2 and Mike was relatively honest about the stuff he was doing with the Goliaths. I don't know. It seems fair to try and find out more information before a full judgment. And like, its worth considering that Nick's a snake who has like 5 F2s besides Mike so its tough to really figure out who deserved who's trust there.

Regardless its clear Mike did a lot of damage to his game with that move and regardless of whether he was right about it being best for him to stick with the Goliaths he seemed to completely disregard the Davids, their games, and how it would affect his game standing with them to snake them over.

Fast Luck posted:

Can't Alec say he didn't burn anyone? Made the strike force alliance, but Mike White destroyed it, so he leaked the vote which allowed them to save Christian. Next time up he followed through by voting against Angelina. I mean, I assume he and Allison only did that in response to the vote steal, but can that be proved?

I mean, Alec can say what he wants but he put a vote down for someone he made an alliance with. And we still don't know if he told Gabby or not. He can say Mike is the one who made him do it but that's not true. Allison and Alec could have stuck with their Strike Force allies and had the numbers. It maybe wouldn't have been the best game move for them but it was still within their power and they made a choice.

I think its obvious that Alec, Kara, and Allison will TRY (or already did) to convince the Davids that they stuck to the plan and were always going to vote out a Goliath. I think its also pretty obvious the Davids weren't buying it. But we'll see. Maybe Alec has the bullshit skills to talk his way out of this or into a better position, but I don't think he does, especially with him being such an obvious Immunity threat and his pre-merge moves. And Alec is probably in a lot less of a special "tipped you off" position than the edit would have us think if Nick is to believed that half the Goliaths also tipped him off about Christian.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 27, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I understand what you're saying, though. I think it just comes down to how much of an "Indelible right" you personally feel the idol or the writing on the parchment is.

It’s still a game with rules. If you don’t know the rules, you’re a fool. If you *can’t* know the rules, it’s not a game.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
there's probably some weird poo poo in the NDA about how you accept that the rules aren't set in stone and can change at any moment.

this isn't really the first time something kind of sketchy happened. we've had fake idols wrapped in the real idol note, Tony claiming his super idol worked for one vote longer than it did, the sudden ability to remove a jury member, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, but the rules are basically "X does Y. Unless something else happens that make it not." I think the Nullifier is perfectly in keeping with the game spirit of the Idol itself. Its just that Nullifier is new and the Idol is established.

Did Dan get a little screwed? Yeah. He's the latest on a long list of people who got screwed by the machinations of a game basically designed to screw people. To a certain extent you gotta prepare for that stuff so you should never think you have something 100%. The game basically is designed to laugh at you when you think you have that.

Admittedly I'm just not terribly sympathetic to Dan because (a) I don't like the guy and (b) I think he played a god awful game and was in a really comically terrible game position. I mean, his flirtmance knew he was the target and voted for a Goliath. So I guess its not like I think some great game got derailed by a twist, which we've seen. A bad player just got the comeuppance for his terrible gameplay a week earlier than he would have if he had a working idol.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
^ agreed 100%. Every new mechanic has to be introduced some time, and you can’t announce it if you want it to be a surprise. That said, I feel bad for dan (because for 20 years idols have been ironclad) but given that he sucked real bad, I don’t actually care about it. THAT said, I’m looking forward to future seasons (and episodes) where the nullifier has to go into the vote calculus. “Do I play an idol, and for whom?” is a fun part of the game to think about, but I really do like a second level added on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Just to be pedantic, Survivor premiered 18 years ago and hidden idols didn't appear until season 11.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
EW interview with Dan:

What was it like watching the episode back and hearing Kara say you had to go because you were ruining her game?
I mean, it is what it is. I can’t be upset about it. If that’s how she saw it, then that’s how she saw it. Man, that’s a tough question, to be honest. I didn’t think I was ruining anybody’s game. Watching it back and people talking about me being a threat, I didn’t see that either. In my mind I was laying back and letting Alec take the lead in challenges when we were in the original Goliath tribe. So I don’t know how I was labeled this big threat. I found two idols, but only she knew about the second one so I don’t know how I was ruining her game.

He seems mostly cool with everything else (including being taken out by a brand new twist), but oh Dan. You hapless oblivious fool. At least he's mostly just a clueless (self-described) momma's boy instead of... I dunno, a Brandon Hantz.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
If that scene of him wallowing in self-pity on the beach by himself while Kara, Allison and Alec talked strategy is any indication, I can see how his social game and personality, as compared to a similar physical threat like Alec who has managed to stay out of the spotlight, wouldn't do him any favors.

In his defense though, is there really much more he could have done? He played both idols effectively and still got taken out by a mix of advantage luck and unusually high-level gameplay.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Dan's just an immature dude, probably somewhat connected to the weight loss and overcompensation for insecurities. He probably doesn't really recognize that temper tantrum after the John blindside, or the way he upset Angelina, or his blowing a reward challenge by acting cocky as things that make a bad impression. He and Angelina are really similar in that way. Or like, toss in Natalie or Jeremy. They're just people who don't see what the things they're doing are that are rubbing people the wrong way, so they can't really process why it happened or what they could have done different.

But like, Idols and Nullifiers aside, Dan ended the game with no true allies and pretty clueless to what was happening. So I'm hesitant to say he did everything he could.

If anything Dan should probably be really glad for the Nullifier because if it didn't exist then Angelina would have gone home and Dan would probably be the next target because he was basically as isolated at Angelina at that stage. Then he would have been remember for just the bad game he played. But now he'll always have the "well, the Nullifier screwed him" excuse and might get himself a Second Chances bid.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
You're probably right that there's more he could have done socially, but "he should be glad about the advantage that took him out of the game" is some logic I am having some trouble wrapping my head around. Weren't you just arguing that its too soon to peg winners because of how quickly things can change in Survivor?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

it's quite possible Dan would still be Dumb As Heck even if he weren't previously fat

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe I phrased it badly. I'm saying if there was no Nullifier and Dan's idol saved him then it seems like a classic "just buy one week" idol play that still leaves him as the target next week (assuming the Davids don't grossly misplay it by sticking with the split or the Allison vote steal in that scenario). In that scenario Dan goes into next Tribal with no real allies left probably just gets an unceremonious isolated eviction where his former allies and flirtmance write his name down.

With the Nullifier he'll always be able to point to this new and unexpected thing that screwed him. Some fans will feel he got screwed and all will agree he couldn't have done anything to anticipate or counter it. And that's a better rhetorical end then a 9-1 vote.

I don't really think its the same thing to say "We don't know that you can't build a winning game at F10" as "you seem dead in the water at F10." But I'll absolutely concede that nothing's guaranteed and there does exist out there some theoretical scenario where Dan rebounds by going on an immunity run or striking a deal with the Davids or mending things with the Goliaths or whatever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t understand how people can ask “is there anything they could have possibly done?” After someone gets knocked out of the game.

Yeah. They could have not made themselves a target.

I love idols, but they’re a crutch for those who raise their threat. From a gameplay perspective.

From a good television perspective, idols are great because they allow players to raise their threat out of a comfort zone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think an idol is sometimes more than a "crutch." Davie's idol was used as an offensive tool. Some people use their idols to try and shake up the dynamic of the tribe. Even Dan basically used his idols as counter moves to Davie's idol and Nick's vote steal.

But yeah, that is basically my point that Dan being screwed by the Nullifier and Dan playing himself into a desperate position where only the idol would save him are separate matters and the former kind of goes a long way to distract from the latter.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Zesty posted:

I don’t understand how people can ask “is there anything they could have possibly done?” After someone gets knocked out of the game.

I meant to just refer to the scope of possible actions over these past two episodes where he used his idols optimally but both he and his closest ally were voted out anyway. I should have been more explicit about that.

But on that note, people can only control so much in the game to influence the degree to which others perceive them as a target. Exhibit A is Christian who was probably always going to be a threat just by virtue of being a super smart and likable person. Conversely, not being a target is not always a signifier of effective gameplay (of course).

To be sure, Dan did not play a great game, but he kinda ran into a wrecking ball at the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

In John's case, I don't think there's much you can blame him for other than 'he should have reached out to the Davids more'. According to interviews, Mike was actually saved from being the target that day because Nick argued in favour of keeping him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Who would think that a possible strategy for avoiding getting voted out is: make friends that want to keep you around?