Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

From BGG:

quote:

Medioevo Universale is a game full of components (more than 1700!) with many aspects to manage, deep interactions with other players, and the ability to give you an immersive experience in the medieval era.
Um 17 loving hundred components means that I'll probably be dead before the game gets unpunched!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

SuperKlaus posted:

In three parts:

I must respectfully disagree that Decrypto trumps Codenames. Decrypto is like a heavier, gamer's Codenames with its greater emphasis on adjusting your plays to screw with the enemy team. It is rather less encouraging of free-flowing table talk because you are again minding what the other team knows more sharply. This makes it less party-friendly. I imagine just about anyone could drop Codenames on six to ten of their assembled uncles, cousins, and grandparents over Christmas. Decrypto not so much. Decrypto also tests different language skills than Codenames. Anyway, the niches they occupy in terms of player-count and situational applicability are different enough that one cannot obsolete the other.

Is 1st and Roll related to 1st and Goal (the board game from R&R, not the football terminology)?

Thanks for the thoughts on Pantone (and Root, and others). I'd like to hear more about Pantone because of a graphic designer friend who likes the theme.
I still need to test out Decrypto versus people not so immersed into gaming as my regular fare, but I'm not sure that it's that much more difficult to explain, especially because the strategy can be taught naturally, like it happened for me with my first game of Decrypto (where I soon realised that the clues that I had given in the first round were actually too obvious, but even that didn't spoil the game). You make a good point about the party atmosphere of both games, however, since I agree that Codenames has more of a party atmosphere over the more secretive Decrypto.

Not sure about 1st and Goal, I've never tried it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

From BGG:
Um 17 loving hundred components means that I'll probably be dead before the game gets unpunched!!!!

That's more than RO&ADSBTS + expansion I think :stare:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

From BGG:

More than 600 of them are minis, to be fair. 96 per player and a bunch of neutrals. They actually padded the count by including the board, screens and individual coins.

Countblanc posted:

The only meta-gaming that I'm truly sick of is "this person owns the game, therefore it makes sense to dogpile them."

This happens to me too much in Cthulhu Wars. I will say that if someone doesn't move on Yellow Sign/Windwalker now they will win. Someone says "Jedit knows the game so well. Clearly he is trying to distract us from his subtle plan" and everyone does something else. Two turns later Yellow Sign/Windwalker wins. The worst part is that it's often the same people saying it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

1700 components? 1700 is definitely Renaissance, not medieval

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

More than 600 of them are minis, to be fair. 96 per player and a bunch of neutrals. They actually padded the count by including the board, screens and individual coins.

I've been participating in discussion on BGG about the word 'fiddly'. I think 1700 components defines fiddly. :colbert:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Redundant posted:

Tell me about it! I'd stop buying games if I didn't want to play literally all of them. I really need to find some local board game groups but they're pretty rare in my area which is a shame.

Speaking of wanting to play literally all of the games, the El Dorado chat from earlier made me realise that my collection has a pretty glaring deck/engine building shaped hole in it. I am probably going to pick up one of Splendor, El Dorado, Clank!, Spice Road or maybe Gizmos at a push (I think the marbles are neat but I'm almost certain the game will confuse/frustrate my beginner friends). Do people have any strong opinions about any of those games and have I missed any other obvious alternatives?

There's no reason to buy Splendor when Century: Golem exists - it fills the same "very light engine game" niche while working a lot better. I've played it a bunch, and while it's not super exciting it works as a game, it's very easy to get people going, and functions as a good gateway. If people haven't played an engine builder before, you can see the lights turning on as they see how it works. Splendor doesn't do that - it has very little decision making and much more politics. Golem's theme walks the tightrope of being super inoffensive without being super bland - again, super easy to get people to play this in my experience.

Clank! is a fine game to play once - it has an attractive theme and until you've played it once, you could sort of imagine that it could work well... but it really doesn't. Your deckbuilding decisions are pretty trivial (there's no card balance), and your success mostly comes down to whether you draw the right "currency" (movement, coins, attack) you need each turn. It's like if Dominion was always played with hyper-Alchemy where there was two colors of potions. Even for very casual gamers (like my kids), the lack of agency is frustrating.

Haven't played Gizmos. Anyway, good luck.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

I've been participating in discussion on BGG about the word 'fiddly'. I think 1700 components defines fiddly. :colbert:

Link to the discussion, please?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's surprising to me people say Codenames facilitates a party atmosphere when everyone I play with is dead silent. I do think Decrypto has problems with flow and instead of following its rigid structure we have both teams reveal their clues then simultaneously guess our code then flip the paper to guess the opponent's.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jedit posted:

This happens to me too much in Cthulhu Wars. I will say that if someone doesn't move on Yellow Sign/Windwalker now they will win. Someone says "Jedit knows the game so well. Clearly he is trying to distract us from his subtle plan" and everyone does something else. Two turns later Yellow Sign/Windwalker wins. The worst part is that it's often the same people saying it.

Write down every time this happens and also how often you win after a comment like this happens.

Sure, they'll probably scream confirmation bias, but at least you'll have data.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

jmzero posted:

Clank! is a fine game to play once - it has an attractive theme and until you've played it once, you could sort of imagine that it could work well... but it really doesn't. Your deckbuilding decisions are pretty trivial (there's no card balance), and your success mostly comes down to whether you draw the right "currency" (movement, coins, attack) you need each turn. It's like if Dominion was always played with hyper-Alchemy where there was two colors of potions. Even for very casual gamers (like my kids), the lack of agency is frustrating.

El Dorado seems better than this. What you're going to need in your deck to win is predetermined (the map is fully visible, but variable) the card market is fixed, and the way you get new card to buy is unique. Blocking and positioning is fun. There's still a lot of "making due with the had you draw" but that's going to be most deck builders. :shrug:

I'm not sure on it's longevity, but I also play most games I play less than 3 times.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What's on everyone's Christmas list? I only have The Great Zimbabwe and Yellow & Yangtze on mine. Looking for some good obscure game ideas for a friend as well, he likes economic and train games. Has For-Ex and a bunch of the big games already.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Aston posted:

Are there any games out there (I don't know, maybe Dune is one), where you can permanently ally with another player and potentially share victory between you? Would it be a valid catch-up mechanism for a game like Eclipse to allow two players to form an alliance where their scores are averaged between them at the end for the team's score?

It is explicitly a catch up mechanism in Root.

Redundant posted:

I am probably going to pick up one of Splendor, El Dorado, Clank!, Spice Road or maybe Gizmos at a push (I think the marbles are neat but I'm almost certain the game will confuse/frustrate my beginner friends). Do people have any strong opinions about any of those games and have I missed any other obvious alternatives?

Splendor is a very popular game that this thread considers as baseline "acceptable". It's a virtually themeless game of combining cards with colored gems on them to buy cards with higher value gems. It has minimal player interaction and a fair bit of luck of the draw.

Spice Road is similar but with even less theme--you try to convert cubes to different colored cubes more efficiently than anyone else.

In that space, I'd recommend Imhotep as a more interesting alternative than either of those.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

What's on everyone's Christmas list? I only have The Great Zimbabwe and Yellow & Yangtze on mine. Looking for some good obscure game ideas for a friend as well, he likes economic and train games. Has For-Ex and a bunch of the big games already.

Is Yellow and Yangtze considered Good™ by this thread?

Also, the recent KS Deluxe edition of Gugong is bloody gorgeous. Really something else. I like to look at it next to Container and wonder... what if...?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm in the Century: Spice Road is a better Splendor camp too. It's fun engine buildy that doesn't hand around too long.

It's also worth noting that part of the conceit with the Century games is you can buy Spice Road, and Easter Wonders (A heavier pick up and deliver style game), and then Voltron them into one using both components. I've never done this but reviews are positive, and there's a third game coming soon....

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Is Yellow and Yangtze considered Good™ by this thread?

Also, the recent KS Deluxe edition of Gugong is bloody gorgeous. Really something else. I like to look at it next to Container and wonder... what if...?

It's good. Not as punishing or tight as T&E and the game state flows a lot more but still a very good game, better if you didn't like how insanely punishing T&E could be or wanted a bit more control of things like tile draw. Different enough for me to want both, if only to explore Y&Y more as I've played T&E to death and still like it. I also suspect it might be a better 2 player game than T&E but I really need to try that custom 2 player map on BGG.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I bought myself Space Empires 4x as an early xmas gift.

Sekigahara is on my list since I'm interested but every time I think of buying it myself the 3 hour playtime kinda sinks the idea just enough to dampen my impulse. So it's a perfect gift: something I'm interested in but won't quite buy for myself.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been debating War Chest -- it's got some decent hype from BGG con but I can't decide if it looks too random for a chesslike. The team variant looks especially interesting. Otherwise I'll probably just pick up an 18xx or two, some combination of 89/49/22/60.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I prefer T&E to Y&Y at this point because the race for the treasures is more interesting than just getting lucky yellow tile draws. Also, the chance of half a civilization getting wiped out is more exciting than winning an external war and only removing 1 or 2 tiles. Those points aside, if you like one you'll probably like the other, and Y&Y is easier for new players.

Bottom Liner posted:

Family has asked for suggestions, so I came up with Cataclysm, Sidereal Confluence, and maybe Great Zimbabwe or Lisboa.

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 26, 2018

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

I bought myself Space Empires 4x as an early xmas gift.

Sekigahara is on my list since I'm interested but every time I think of buying it myself the 3 hour playtime kinda sinks the idea just enough to dampen my impulse. So it's a perfect gift: something I'm interested in but won't quite buy for myself.

it's less than 3 once you've played it a couple of times. iirc my last play was like 2.5 hours, and it could easily be less.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also the new Q.E. KS starts tomorrow. Everyone should probably back it imo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

T-Bone posted:

Huh. I...I'll ask my wife just how much she enjoyed it. Probably not going to, but you never know.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

taser rates posted:

it's less than 3 once you've played it a couple of times. iirc my last play was like 2.5 hours, and it could easily be less.

Well, that's good to know. The game makes a point of a set time limit and the box says 3 hours, I guess I assumed it lacked some flexibility.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

T-Bone posted:

Honestly I think we’ve pumped enough money into QE already and it just seems like a black hole to me

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

QMLogistics hasn't even started processing Gugong US orders sadly. Maybe I'll get it by Xmas.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

Im putting A distant plain and Fire in the Lake on my list.

If your friend liked For-Ex you should look into Northern Pacific and The Soo Line, both are train games by the same person who did ForEx. Np should be available everywhere and soo Line drops on Hollandspiele 12/1

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a Pax Unplugged thread again for this year?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Bottom Liner posted:

:v:

Anyone have any opinions on The Rose King? Looks like a nice simple abstract in the vein of Tash and it's dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Thames-Kosmo...694228074&psc=1

It’s not going to scratch the same itch as Tash-Kalar, as it has a higher luck of the draw quotient due to the placement mechanic (a shared pawn that is moved based off of card play). It’s fine-it’s not super exciting, but it plays fast, is easy to teach, and plays quickly. If you’re space limited I’d pass, but it’s a great choice for when my partner and I are not feeling particularly thinky but still want to play something.

It’s another one that’s available at Yucata.de if you want to try it out.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well, that's good to know. The game makes a point of a set time limit and the box says 3 hours, I guess I assumed it lacked some flexibility.

It's always 7 rounds .. except when somebody loses earlier, like Twilight Struggle. (Or is so far behind that they want to concede). I think even 7-round games can go under 2.5 hours if you have familiar players, and I say this as a generally slow player.

Tried a demo of Keyforge today after waffling on whether I'd really like or really dislike it. I at least think I won't really dislike it. House choice coupled with draw-to-6 makes for a lot of interesting choices; the "card advantage" equivalence is probably "play advantage". The relative weakness of "attacking" - all creatures attack the player for 1 rather than for their full power - slows the game down a fair bit, letting different synergies shine. A downside, and what pushed me away from buying the last starter in stock at the moment: the game has no rulebook in the box; it only has a little quickstart sheet. So if I'm going to pay for 4 decks, 2 of which are random, might as well just buy random decks (C$13 vs C$50)? Though having the 2 universal decks might be good for teaching, if so I might seek the next printing.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Bought myself Talon 1000, getting The Estates and the newest VS2PCG expansion, might pick up some wargaming tweezers or something else small.

Tekopo posted:

Honestly I think we’ve pumped enough money into QE already and it just seems like a black hole to me

:capitalism:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Papes posted:

If your friend liked For-Ex you should look into Northern Pacific and The Soo Line, both are train games by the same person who did ForEx. Np should be available everywhere and soo Line drops on Hollandspiele 12/1

He has NP already but I did get him Railways of NA. Should be a hit.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Harlock posted:

Is there a Pax Unplugged thread again for this year?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873047&perpage=40

The first fell into archives because PAX is poo poo at hyping or releasing info about this convention. I just bumped that, I guess we can post about the con since its this weekend

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Even for a dumb licensed Monopoly this looks lousy

Cardboard standee players, lol

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Think how many kids are going to get that for christmas because the olds know they like fortnite

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

xiw posted:

Think how many kids are going to get that for christmas because the olds know they like fortnite

that's Monopoly's primary audience these days I'm fairly certain.`

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SoftNum posted:

that's Monopoly's primary audience these days I'm fairly certain.`

This is why I love the concept behind Monopoly for Millennials. A bunch of internet blowhards think it's the ultimate diss that they completely miss the irony of an 80 year old mascot who embodies capitalism is dressed up as a caricature of young people. It's absolutely "how do you do, fellow kids" and stupid old people will buy it as a gag gift.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Countblanc posted:

The only meta-gaming that I'm truly sick of is "this person owns the game, therefore it makes sense to dogpile them." Worse yet is no one else buys games.

I solved this with Gloomhaven. Not only is it co-op, but it cut down on the number of other games I bought because I was too busy playing Gloomhaven.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I like both Century: Golem and Splendor (Golem has a much better theme/art than Spice Road or Splendor, which goes a surprisingly long way). I think Splendor actually has more interaction than Golem though, since in Golem you are mostly unable to interact with the people you are competing with except by competing better, but in Splendor you can do that as well as reserve the card somebody is going for, or hoarding a color of chip to force people to play sub optimally. People fault Splendor for being a lousy engine builder, and it's true that Golem is much better in that regard, but Splendor is also not exclusively an engine builder - you can play it that way, but you can also mostly ignore the low level cards and rely heavily on taking chips and winning on high value cards before other player's engines kick in.

Clank is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow I just noticed that Urban Sprawl is twenty bucks direct from GMT Games.