Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Well said my ineloquent friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Raserys posted:

gentlemen gentlemen, please, you're both right

I also like that his voice actor has stuck around for so long, like Cao Cao's
I wish I could hear Douglas Rye's voice in more things.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Sudden inexplicable Orochi interference leaving Nobunaga and his musket divisions filling in for Cao Cao's shift.

This would be a fun gimmick for an Orochi game; instead of having everyone just accept that they've been carted off to a hydra's hell dimension and forming new alliances, people from different time periods get swapped around and no one but the player character's faction notices due to time fuckery. Although I guess Xenoverse kind of did that already.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Keeshhound posted:

This would be a fun gimmick for an Orochi game; instead of having everyone just accept that they've been carted off to a hydra's hell dimension and forming new alliances, people from different time periods get swapped around and no one but the player character's faction notices due to time fuckery. Although I guess Xenoverse kind of did that already.

Nah, the characters in Xenoverse usually realize something's weird, but they don't realize it's BECAUSE of Time fuckery. Like the one sidequest where the plot is "YAMCHA IS STRONG, SOMETHING'S WRONG HERE, FIX IT" and all the guys on your side are going "what the gently caress, why is Yamcha so strong all of a sudden?"

What you're describing would be them not questioning it and just figuring "He's always been this strong", except it's "Nobunaga's always been the leader of Wei :downs:"

EDIT: Incidentally, I went back and re-did the level before work this morning, and what do you know, I guess Cao Cao/Nobunaga's Sniper Squad were off-duty this time, because my health bar didn't randomly explode into tiny pieces this time. Wind Scroll get!

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 27, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

"Nobunaga's always been the leader of Wei :downs:"

Imagine that at Tong Gate. Ma Chao would suffer an existential crisis for all of 5 seconds before having a stroke and falling down dead.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On another note, nothing quite earns your bodyguards a vote of confidence like all 8 of them surviving an encounter with Lu Bu at Hu Lao Gate, despite Lu Bu landing his grab (DW4) multiple times.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reminder that the best platform for Dynasty Warriors games was actually...

battle.net

This Guan Du map had slots for 20 players (10v10) on each side of Guan Du, lots of scripted events and triggers for all the stuff like the Wuchao supply depot attack or different officers taking out certain others, repeated troop spawns at gates and most importantly of all, had Dynasty Warriors music ripped and looped into the game. I dug this out of one of my old folders and it still works, hooray!

cant wait for more Dynasty Warriors in Warcraft 3 Reforged tbh

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If it's 10v10, it can't be THAT old. Warcraft 3 didn't support more than 12 players in a game until this past April.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So as someone who didn't musou until KT started doing PC releases a few years ago but I'm pretty fond of them now, did the three trial tickets for DW9 and it seems like a DW? An actually surprisingly smoothly playing one. I assume it falls apart somewhere down the line and someone in here can speak to that so I don't spend money for no reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, I kinda dig it. It's very odd and I miss the old English voices, but I think I'll keep an eye out for a nice price.

Also that ROTK phone game that was meant to be a spiritual successor to XI came out in English and ah..

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1067324229568221185

Doesn't seem like it has any of the land expansion or political stuff at all so I dunno.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Orv posted:

So as someone who didn't musou until KT started doing PC releases a few years ago but I'm pretty fond of them now, did the three trial tickets for DW9 and it seems like a DW? An actually surprisingly smoothly playing one. I assume it falls apart somewhere down the line and someone in here can speak to that so I don't spend money for no reason.

The game is begging to be an Empires/create-a-character game(Especially with the controls on making fancy pictures), but has no create-a-character, and many of the Warriors lack unique missions for the chapters. Endings and character time also suffer from having to 'adhere to history'. Most DWs are willing to play fast and loose in terms of time frame, people surviving if you're playing as them, and so on. Not here so much. It hurts it.

I'm not as hostile as some. But I wonder if the reception would have been better if the create-a-character had existed. It was what people had asked for.imagined for a long while(DW but Open World!), and a decent attempt/experiment, but....hurt. It wants...more time, more development, wants to find it's feet but probably won't because the backlash will make it be dropped entirely.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 28, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I liked the DW9 trial as well but yeah, it desperately needs CAW and Empires mode. It's so close to bridging the gap between RoTK and Warriors and yet so far!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly just feel like being Open World hurts the core gameplay of the series. Stuff is too spread out.

EDIT: You know, not to mention the whole thing about ripping out the interesting weapons to sell them back as paid DLC.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 28, 2018

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

DW9 stumbled so that DW10, or the much cooler titled, DWX will be truly magnificent, the same way DW6 was what it was and then DW7 turned it around.

BlazetheInferno posted:

If it's 10v10, it can't be THAT old. Warcraft 3 didn't support more than 12 players in a game until this past April.

You're right, I was thrown off

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 28, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I kinda dig it. It's very odd and I miss the old English voices, but I think I'll keep an eye out for a nice price.

Also that ROTK phone game that was meant to be a spiritual successor to XI came out in English and ah..

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1067324229568221185

Doesn't seem like it has any of the land expansion or political stuff at all so I dunno.

Looks pretty awful.

It's a shame because if Rotk XI gote remad and become more streamlined and less of a grind to play it could have been fantastic. I've been replaying it a bit lately and the mid to late game is a massive slog.

By the way, do we have a dedicated thread to talk about Koei's strategy games?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ambivalent posted:

DW9 stumbled so that DW10, or the much cooler titled, DWX will be truly magnificent, the same way DW6 was what it was and then DW7 turned it around.

You're right, I was thrown off

I hope the next one is called Dynasty Warriors/Shin Sangokumusou X, so the numbers can finally match.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fauxtool posted:

it also has better/worse j-rock intro videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yHcTrZFbs

gently caress yeah flying robo samurai

My older son, to this day, sees Basara's Mitsunari and will grumble to himself, "Ieyasu, Ieyasu, IIIEEEYASSSUUUU"...

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Takoluka posted:

I hope the next one is called Dynasty Warriors/Shin Sangokumusou X, so the numbers can finally match.

The next one will be 10/9, then the one after it will be X and confuse everyone.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
is that phone game an actual koei-tecmo production or whatever because holy moly lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

is that phone game an actual koei-tecmo production or whatever because holy moly lol

Koei Tecmo's English Presser posted:

BBGame, having worked closely with Koei Tecmo and the original Romance of the Three Kingdoms designer Ken Kitami, successfully re-created the beloved series so that users can once again see and experience the world of the three kingdoms along with its famous generals.
Among its series, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI has been an exceptional hit, and the New Romance of the Three Kingdoms is the mobile adaptation version to its original, with additional game features for users to experience

Take that as you will.

Angry Lobster posted:

By the way, do we have a dedicated thread to talk about Koei's strategy games?

Historically, (:smug:) we've just used this thread. It's kinda all encompassing.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
The phone game voice acting is about on par with the DW9 voice acting IMO

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

The phone game voice acting is about on par with the DW9 voice acting IMO

Ouch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is there a Chinese dub option like DW9 so I can pretend it has good voice acting?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Is there a Chinese dub option like DW9 so I can pretend it has good voice acting?

Actually, yes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That font screams generic f2p Asian mmo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I keep getting flashbacks to Dynasty Warriors Online

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

I keep getting flashbacks to Dynasty Warriors Online

I enjoyed DW:O for a while, very casually and very briefly. It used the DW5 system for the most part, but had a couple of weapons that were unique to it, and never appeared in the same form elsewhere - several of them made it into later games, but with different moves, never quite the same. The whip was neat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BlazetheInferno posted:

I enjoyed DW:O for a while, very casually and very briefly. It used the DW5 system for the most part, but had a couple of weapons that were unique to it, and never appeared in the same form elsewhere - several of them made it into later games, but with different moves, never quite the same. The whip was neat.

Same. I liked how hilariously weak you are to start with, just following around a named character trying to kill poo poo in the periphery.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Same. I liked how hilariously weak you are to start with, just following around a named character trying to kill poo poo in the periphery.

I eventually reached the point where I was able to get a Wolf mount. It was fun! I remember getting to participate in a SINGLE special event mission thing where named characters were present, and they generally one or two-shot you with standard attacks. As hard as you murder crowds of mooks... when facing down the likes of Xu Huang or Huang Zhong, you are one of those mooks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

My older son, to this day, sees Basara's Mitsunari and will grumble to himself, "Ieyasu, Ieyasu, IIIEEEYASSSUUUU"...

Hell, :same:

Like 40% of the VA's lines consisted of that word, and by god, he honed its usage to perfection

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlazetheInferno posted:

I eventually reached the point where I was able to get a Wolf mount. It was fun! I remember getting to participate in a SINGLE special event mission thing where named characters were present, and they generally one or two-shot you with standard attacks. As hard as you murder crowds of mooks... when facing down the likes of Xu Huang or Huang Zhong, you are one of those mooks.

I would aspire to be one of the archers who knock you off a horse then fade away into a crowd

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dynasty Warriors Online made me hate the song Arena.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey so Koei Tecmo has a new Warriors-sounding game to announce for PC/PS4/Switch on the day of the VGAs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SW5 I guess

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh man. I forgot about this. Dynasty Warriors 4, where the Yellow Turban Campaign just threw up its hands, said "gently caress it" and made the Yellow Turban playable character list include everybody whose name started with "Zhang" because clearly they're all related to Zhang Jiao. Zhang Fe, Zhang He, and Zhang Liao, all siding with the Yellow Turbans.

Notably, this does result in one map against Liu Bei where they had to replace Zhang Fei on the enemy side with Zhao Yun... because you might be PLAYING as Zhang Fei, so they couldn't let him appear as an enemy, because that's not allowed in story mode. The same reason they had for removing ALL of a given faction's playable characters from levels where they would appear as enemies in its own story mode once you unlocked them. Strangely though, this logic removes Zhang Liao from the Si Shui Gate and Hu Lao Gate levels even when playing the Shu and Wu campaigns, and I never understood why. Were they not able to remove him from Wei's story mode without removing him from the maps for other factions as well?

EDIT: Okay, so... this one level. Campaign Against Liu Bei. Yellow Turban Forces. Your army genuinely has the advantage from the beginning, and this does not change. It's hilarious. You start with WAY more officers than they do, you're all the same Morale to start off, and right from the start of the map, Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang dam the river going through the castle. This 'befuddles' the enemy army. Of course, what they mean by 'befuddling" them is that it acts like a constant morale drain all through the map, in the same vein as what happens to your own forces during the Nanman Campaign. Except it's happening to an enemy that starts outnumbered, and even when reinforcements arrive, this doesn't really change.

Then there's Mi Fang. Oh, lord, Mi Fang. Truly, the hardest part of this level is actually keeping Guan Yu and/or Zhao Yun alive long enough to finish his series of events. Because the Mi Fang stuff will stop happening once they both die, as Liu Bei gets mad and opens all the gates, and triggers an ambush at your HQ. Of course, this hardly matters, since you've taken down a good chunk of the enemy officers, the enemy morale is through the floor, which means your own morale is sky high as well.

But Mi Fang shows up a few times. The first time you beat him up, he's fed misinformation and released. I don't know what actually happens mechanically, but he convinced Liu Bei to "bolster our defenses in the east", when your main forces are based in the southwest corner. As far as I can tell, this doesn't affect anything. But when you kill him on his second appearance, he reveals that ambush I mentioned. I think this probably spawns them with less morale or something. But your forces aren't exactly too concerned about them. Then he shows up again, and this time when you beat him, he'll surrender, join you, and infiltrate the castle to open all the gates from the inside.

All throughout this series of events, enemy morale is continuing to plummet through the floor. I do not see how it is mechanically possible for this map to provide a challenge. Even without the Mi Fang poo poo, the enemy morale is getting continually dropped through the floor, and even if both of their sets of reinforcements were to be present from the start of the map, your own officers would still outnumber them, not counting Mi Fang and the ambush.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 30, 2018

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've got chapters 3, 4, 5 and the side story stuff to do on Chaos difficulty, and then I have WO4's platinum in the bag. The game was such a welcome thing after how stressful, slow and plodding RDR2 can be (which, I'm only at chapter 3 and have to get back to). I've done enough in WO4 that I can give a couple moratorium thoughts on it.
Ina was my ace. Especially late game with a unique weapon and my favorite attributes assigned. Artemis charge magic on any character, when positioned correctly, was essentially 'gently caress actually having an effort fight, I just want to win' button.
Honorable mention to Zhang Fei, whose musou was my favorite for 'not only do I not want to fight fair but I want to quickly refill unity magic'. He also, early in the game, taught me that I ought to put Merriment on every character I use, because having a reliable supply of musou was the secret to eternal life.
gently caress 'Caduceus' magic. I didn't bother using a couple characters I wanted to because of it.
More guys needed Gleipnr. That was my favorite magic. Sure, Trident is I think the Internet's favorite, but I didn't enjoy using it like I did Gleip's charge activation.
I am officially tired, after all these years, of the worst of the hamfisted tropes that count as personalities. Masanori is stupid, macho and yells a lot. Han Dang is a dishrag and you'd have alcohol poisoning if you designed a drinking game any time 'stand out' was in his dialogue. Naotora is sixteen, with massive tits, pigeon toes, apologizes for everything, and has a 27 year old son. Did you know Guo Hai is sick? He is! Sima Zhao could use another nap LOL LO>L kdlskjf gently caress off, christ.
Everything involving Bao Sanniang infuriates me.
I don't know what happened to Lu Bu, but he just didn't feel beast, the way he used to for me. Virtually every tech style character from the SW group out-beasted him in WO4, it felt.
To finish with a solid positive - Nobunaga better never change. He is the absolute shining jewel of the Japanese VA.

Overall, really enjoyed WO4, felt I got what I paid for out of it. In the future I hope they bring back interstitial saves, and absolutely do NOT steer the franchise down the DW9 path.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

I don't know what happened to Lu Bu, but he just didn't feel beast, the way he used to for me.

He's never really changed. Others have, and have come up to his level and possibly beyond in terms of killing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bloodly posted:

He's never really changed. Others have, and have come up to his level and possibly beyond in terms of killing.

There's still nothing quite like learning the hard way in the early games not to pursue him at Hu Lao gate, and then encountering him in battle later on in a campaign and thinking "you want me to fight him now??"

That said, at this point in my life I do find myself preferring the power fantasy later games where you rack up 1,000 kills in the first 2 minutes of a battle

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh, Lu Bu. The best at smashing an enemy army to paste with no effort. Unfathomable range, and uncontested arc with attacks. On a basic "mash attack and mix with charge" level, then sure, many officers may be just as proficient at mass-murder when it comes to mooks, with some being arguably even better than him when played properly and utilising moves, but how many of these officers can also just say "lol gently caress this" and wipe out ~200 plebs by just jumping and using an unblockable Musou?

None.

That's what sets Lu Bu apart. It also applies to when he's AI-controlled; run. His second ground-Musou is also stupidly powerful when it connects with the right target. Ultimate difficulty? So loving what. Seeya later shithead. BAM! Who's next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he also usually has an unblockable grab that does huge damage and converts into an easy juggle. Only guan yu comes close to him in terms of clearing waves at least in the early games