Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My brother bought some of this green ant gin made with weaver ants. It was pretty good. Tasted citrusy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

uber_stoat posted:

you gotta dive in there face first before they can escape.

Sir Mix-a-Lot could not be reached for comment.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

AlbieQuirky posted:

Sir Mix-a-Lot could not be reached for comment.
My pet iguana don’t want none unless they got buns hun

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

My pet iguana don’t want none unless they got buns hun

lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A few species of the little black house ants also contain a lot of butyric acid, a compound that forms in rancid butter.

So there’s that.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

twoday posted:

Makes sense. Or someone who ate it once without knowing what was in it, and then described it to someone else who cooks in layers.

As someone who reads a ton of cookbooks, one of the best cookbooks I ever came across was one about Indonesian food published by the Dutch Navy, probably first in the 1950's or so. It is about 800 pages long and gives an overview of all the different foods available on the various islands of Indonesia, and hundreds upon hundreds of recipes for things to cook with them.

The result of centuries worth of knowledge gained through colonizing the area, it explains what each ingredient is to someone who is totally unfamiliar with that cuisine, and explains various other cultural aspects and traditions of the various localities as they relate to food. It seems that is was originally written with war in mind, so that if a ship was stuck stationed at one place for a long time and had to rely entirely on local products for food, they would still have something to eat. It tries to provide as much information as possible and assumes you are an ignorant peasant from postwar Europe who has never even heard of rice.

Here is the page for rice, which explains its structure, nutrional value, and how it can be used:

"Rice is an important source of starch that is easy to prepare. The husk is rich in B vitamins, and becomes nutrient-poor when this is removed. The nutrional value of 100g of rice is approximately [redacted] amounts of protein, fat, carbohydrates, and calcium.

Rice can be used as a substitute for potatoes in a main course. It can also be mixed with leftovers of meat, fish, or vegetables by adding a curry sauce or other seasonings that give a spicy flavor to these leftovers. One of the dishes rice features prominently in is the Rijsttafel. Rice can also be used as a binder or as a filler in soup. Rice is also sometimes used in European cuisine, usually in sweet dishes."

If you can read Dutch, here is the 14th edition, from 1999.

god drat do I wish that was available in English. I really like cooking Indonesian, Malay, Thai, etc. food. Some of the dishes in my Indonesian cookbooks note that the dish is "Dutch influenced" or "From a Dutch recipe" Stuff like a meat and potato stew has just a pinch of curry powder. It's interesting to see history through the lens of food. I like reading nonfic history about the spice islands and European colonialism in southeast Asia/Australia. And books about coffee trading cultures throughout history. Will try to hunt some titles down and post them in the next few days, for anyone else interested.

Anyone got some weird, very old cookbooks to recommend? They can be very AFP, even 200 years ago. What's that historical reenactment/cooking youtube channel where they make like ancient Roman food, and explain what it would be like to be the person 2500 years ago eating the dish? Pretend I posted a link to that here, it is highly relevant.

edit: also,

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Nov 27, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A few species of the little black house ants also contain a lot of butyric acid, a compound that forms in rancid butter.

So there’s that.

it's also why vomit smells so bad. yum yum. and why cheap American chocolate sucks so bad.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

it's also why vomit smells so bad. yum yum. and why cheap American chocolate sucks so bad.
It's also behind the stench of fallen gingko fruits.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I knew people ate honeydew ant butts, but woah.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Hell yeah I eat rear end ants

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Think of those ants as like a meat berry. There's lots of high energy nutrients in that butt. I bet they taste good for human mouth tongue taste sensory receptacle :unsmigghh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I;m thinking about thos Ants

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Think of those ants as like a meat berry. There's lots of high energy nutrients in that butt. I bet they taste good for human mouth tongue taste sensory receptacle :unsmigghh:

It’s not easy. Wearing ankle-high rubber boots for protection, people must work fast since smaller soldier ants, tasked to protect the princesses, can inflict painful bites that draw blood.

“It’s like dancing,” Diaz said of the annual ant-catching ritual. “You have to be moving really fast all the time."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
apparently they kind of taste like pork rinds. downside is their legs get stuck in your teeth. I'd try it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My sister described fried sago worms as being like fatty bacon chunks. I wasnt game enough to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvn8QG5H478

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Synthbuttrange posted:

It’s not easy. Wearing ankle-high rubber boots for protection, people must work fast since smaller soldier ants, tasked to protect the princesses, can inflict painful bites that draw blood.

“It’s like dancing,” Diaz said of the annual ant-catching ritual. “You have to be moving really fast all the time."

Berries that fight back. If someone is still harvesting it, it must be worth the hassle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ow, these butts took a bite out of me!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've had the worm mezcal. It was nasty. Go to a petstore and smell the live silkworms. That's what it tasted like. Disgusting.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Food fad: Al Roker's Mother's sweet potato poon

https://www.today.com/recipes/al-roker-s-mom-s-sweet-potato-poon-recipe-t142809

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ow, these butts took a bite out of me!

sometimes you eat the rear end

sometimes the rear end eats you

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Potato Poon is great but it's got a real Tang to it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

Potato Poon is great but it's got a real Tang to it.

cole me down on the panny sty

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1SXSdeWVY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I just ate one, I think this may be too much Arby's

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So there’s that.

I didn't know Hershey's made ants!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Iron Crowned posted:

I just ate one, I think this may be too much Arby's

You just ingested 1.5x your daily salt with that thing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Go to a petstore and smell the live silkworms.

This is the worst idea for a first date I’ve ever heard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

LifeSunDeath posted:

I can feel my palate shredding

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why does that supposed "roast beef" look exactly like ham?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

If a little is good, more is better!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

It looked really good on TV last night :magemage:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy christ

poo poo is saltier than trump's twitter

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why does that supposed "roast beef" look exactly like ham?

That's Arby's for you. The cheapest deli "roast beef" money can buy. Mostly beef offcuts ground fine, glued together with transglutaminase and retort-cooked in a mold, artificially flavored and steamed to mediocrity.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rndmnmbr posted:

That's Arby's for you. The cheapest deli "roast beef" money can buy. Mostly beef offcuts ground fine, glued together with transglutaminase and retort-cooked in a mold, artificially flavored and steamed to mediocrity.
And so good I would eat it out of a bowl with a fork.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rndmnmbr posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arbys-liquid-meat/

It's just cheap round roast sliced paper thin.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If you're ever in the vicinity of St. Louis, go to a Lion's Choice. It's like Arby's, if Arby's were actually good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rollersnake posted:

If you're ever in the vicinity of St. Louis, go to a Lion's Choice. It's like Arby's, if Arby's were actually good.

Why would I go to St. Louis?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arbys-liquid-meat/

It's just cheap round roast sliced paper thin.

I've worked - very briefly - in a factory that made lunchmeat. And yes, before it's injected into casings, racked, and cooked, the meat is very much a thick slimy liquid. Snopes needs to do better research.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

rndmnmbr posted:

I've worked - very briefly - in a factory that made lunchmeat. And yes, before it's injected into casings, racked, and cooked, the meat is very much a thick slimy liquid. Snopes needs to do better research.

You’re describing bologna. Deli roast beef doesn’t work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rndmnmbr posted:

Arby's is only lunchmeat if you eat it for lunch :colbert: