Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Wasn’t this expansion supposed to have cadet houses or did I dream that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Taoists are China-Jains with Hermetics. So yes, they're dull as dishwater

Figures, shame. Would be neat if at least you could swear fealty to the Chinese emperor, and be their arm into the west. Doing missions and getting quests from them, so to say.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What really annoys me are the times that I'm trying to preserve little states around me against the other rising powers. I get an anti-aggression pact, and then I want to form an alliance to protect it, but then it shies away because of "political concerns."

I guess sometimes I just wanna play Europa Universalis without colonization.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SlothfulCobra posted:

What really annoys me are the times that I'm trying to preserve little states around me against the other rising powers. I get an anti-aggression pact, and then I want to form an alliance to protect it, but then it shies away because of "political concerns."

Or just EU with characters.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Figures, shame. Would be neat if at least you could swear fealty to the Chinese emperor, and be their arm into the west. Doing missions and getting quests from them, so to say.
How are you Taoist but not Han? Anyway, either of those gets you some monthly grace from the Emperor. My sole attempt at Taoism ended with me being a vassal under the General protector and it wasn't awful, but not being able to hurt the tributaries eventually became incredibly irritating as they used my power to bully others into it

SlothfulCobra posted:

It kinda blows my mind that of all the great ideas to bring forth from EU, they decided that loving threat and shattered retreats was really what CK2 needed lol

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah the trouble with alliances is that they’re two-way and the AI doesn’t know that you intend to protect them - it assumes you’re just going to drag them into wars against your own enemies who would likely be way too strong for them to fight. There isn’t really any form of pure defensive alliance - you can use the Jade Dragon “establish tributary state” DB to create a special relationship that allows them to call you into wars but not vice-versa (in exchange for income and troop replenishment), but there’s no way to establish this relationship peacefully.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a way to destroy certain titles, like Kingdom of Galicia and Kingdom of Leon? I don't much fancy splitting my kingdom up into three parts, even though I have Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a way to destroy certain titles, like Kingdom of Galicia and Kingdom of Leon? I don't much fancy splitting my kingdom up into three parts, even though I have Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture.

Go to the Title screen and there should be a "destroy" option where Create or Usurp generally is, provided it's not your primary.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Sweet, thanks. Oh and is there a way to get rid of an imbecile heir?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Make them a spymaster and send them to Constantinople to study technology. It's not foolproof, mind, but it mulches bad spymasters reasonably reliably and worst case you get tech points.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Dizzy posted:

if you can't disinherit them through some method (blinding, cloistering) then you'll have to murder them

you can either do a plot to straight up knife them or there are ways to do soft murder also, like the bumbling spy method above or making them commander of a small body of troops that you keep sending off on doomed raids or something

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I think Holy Fury chews through commanders at a very high rate so sending out your idiot spawns as commanders might be less frustrating as it used to be. Worst case you'll make some proper fighters out of them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How are you Taoist but not Han? Anyway, either of those gets you some monthly grace from the Emperor. My sole attempt at Taoism ended with me being a vassal under the General protector and it wasn't awful, but not being able to hurt the tributaries eventually became incredibly irritating as they used my power to bully others into it

I am, but they're still not giving me any claims or targets. Also, I think the tributaries can fight each other.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think Holy Fury chews through commanders at a very high rate so sending out your idiot spawns as commanders might be less frustrating as it used to be. Worst case you'll make some proper fighters out of them.

In pagan societies definitely, warrior lodges are not the place for someone who is poo poo in a fight.

Fria Lagan announced that they're working on the first expansion for the CK boardgame. And of course, it adds 100 provinces to the map. :negative:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I am, but they're still not giving me any claims or targets. Also, I think the tributaries can fight each other.

Probably the easiest way to play the Tarim Basin in the 867 start date is to marry one of the Muslim Khan's daughters, secretly flip and then steamroll through the Basin/Tibet. If you want to flip back at some point, just request an Imperial Marriage down the road.

Also yeah tributaries can fight each other, with the added bonus of Hordes never really messing with you cause of that 4,000 Chinese regiment ready to back you up. Adventurers are laughably easy.

Also try the Count of Kumul under the Duke of Qocho in the area, it's a fun start if you can stomach your armies taking ages to get anywhere.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, he bullied them with the huge levvy I provided him as a vassal. So long as you are you can't attack the tributaries because you are the Chinese, haha

Convert to Buddhist, you can holy war people and giving up the stewardship for a while, then just convert back later

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Archaeology Hat posted:

The Pope won't like your virtues if he has the opposed vice.

Sounds like your Pope is a bad Pope.
Hm. He doesn't have the opposed vice for the vast majority of those.

However, he is a wicked pope - I guess that must reverse the modifiers on everything. Sheesh.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Make them a spymaster and send them to Constantinople to study technology. It's not foolproof, mind, but it mulches bad spymasters reasonably reliably and worst case you get tech points.

Or make them court chaplain and send them to proselytize to the Vikings, or assign them as commander of a dozen dudes on a fleet parked in the middle of nowhere until they get scurvy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Just had the Pope agree to coronate me on the condition that I give him 400 gold to fund a rager at the Vatican, at which I was the guest of honor. After diving dick-first into a pile of naked bodies -- gaining Lustful and Hedonist in the process -- I knelt in a fountain of wine while the Holy Father, wearing nothing but his mitre, crowned me Latin Emperor.

I'm ten years old.

GOTY.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Palemdromes posted:

Wasn’t this expansion supposed to have cadet houses or did I dream that

My impression was that was something that was a Very Big code refactor that they want, but would have to wait until (maybe) CK3.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I imagine they’ve built up a pretty big wishlist of stuff they’d do in CK3 at this point that’s technically possible in 2 but would take far more effort than it’d be worth.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

Or make them court chaplain and send them to proselytize to the Vikings, or assign them as commander of a dozen dudes on a fleet parked in the middle of nowhere until they get scurvy.

I like it when I get the event where the chaplain volunteers for that gig. Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job, I guess.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
So the Holy Fury patch made it possible for republics to switch to Absolute Cognatic, and it works correctly! You can even designate female heirs. The only issue is that you still can't do matrilineal marriages because it's hard-coded in the government type for some reason.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I went with a mostly tribal world where the only feudal entity was the not byzantine empire who half of its vassals were chiefs. It's got this cool end of rome feel where the realm is constantly in some state of war.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yashichi posted:

So the Holy Fury patch made it possible for republics to switch to Absolute Cognatic, and it works correctly! You can even designate female heirs. The only issue is that you still can't do matrilineal marriages because it's hard-coded in the government type for some reason.

Cool! Do they affect your trade post limit?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Winning a crusade is sure nice. :eyepop:

Had around hundred gold, piety and prestige before, for comparison.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Cool! Do they affect your trade post limit?

I'd expect no since I imagine the connection to unlanded males is also hard-coded (a lot of Merchant Republic stuff is).

So how does this work, then? I'm pretty sure when you reform a religion with enatic clans or equality it specifically blocks the decision to convert from a tribe to a republic. Is there another way to force gender law changes?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Not sure about the trade post limit, but it's unlikely. I'll try it later. Enatic clans is blocked but certain cultures or equal status of women law enable the gender law change. Strange that Equality reform doesn't work, maybe I'll submit a bug report about it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Lt. Lizard posted:

Winning a crusade is sure nice. :eyepop:

Had around hundred gold, piety and prestige before, for comparison.
FTFY. You need the actual jpg link for that to work right. And yeah, while that's quite a reward, I'm distracted by everything else. Muslim France, Pictland in London, Saxony in Ireland, dharmic Bulgaria, and WTF are those shields in Lithuania and Italy?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

FTFY. You need the actual jpg link for that to work right. And yeah, while that's quite a reward, I'm distracted by everything else. Muslim France, Pictland in London, Saxony in Ireland, dharmic Bulgaria, and WTF are those shields in Lithuania and Italy?

Those are Taoist shields. It might be a random world with semi-historical settings.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Probably Zun Bulgaria

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Those are Taoist shields. It might be a random world with semi-historical settings.
Might be but on the other hand, I've seen Khazar Norfolk in my vanilla ironman game, so I'm not going to say that anything is impossible.

On that note, I kinda hosed up in my current game. I managed to form Scandinavia and make it a merchant Republic, with my dynasty as forever kings, and noticed that my kinsman and vassal King of Denmark has a claim on the Khaganate of Khazaria, which is also kinda weak right now. Ooh, I say, an opportunity to expand my realm and get my buddy in charge of a horde. And then I remembered that the Khaganate is an empire-level title, and I can't have an empire as a vassal, and half of my empire just became part of Khazaria. So now I'm just pressing claims to bring Scandinavia and Britannia back under my control, which is distressingly tedious. On the other hand, I've had a new doge every 5 years or so, which is fun. I keep getting new guys with new money to build new stuff with.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

They don't let you plot to murder your own kids anymore, so you have to do it in a more roundabout way. Although you could just imprison and execute them, but that will make you a kinslayer and piss people off. You could make them spymaster and send them to Constantinople as mentioned, or make them a commander and hope they get killed in battle. Basically, just put them in situations where they have a high likelihood of dying. If all else fails and you end up playing as him, your brothers and vassals will probably all be trying to kill you anyway.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

my deeply cursed playthrough just got hosed by the pope again

a loving possessed, cannibal pope at that

i was one province away from reforming the roman empire, launched a war against the terrifying 80,000 strong army of the holy (false) roman empire to claim it. halfway through the war my emperor dies but the succession goes pretty smoothly but for one thing: my son is orthodox. of course this doesn't seem like a huge red flag at the time

but lo and behold, as we crest 85% war score against the kaiser, the pope - who is my vassal - announces a crusade.

a crusade for thrace

once triggered, the crusade absolutely splinters my realm, thanks to the many, many catholic vassals that years of successive catholic rulers have converted or given titles all having pledged themselves. my beleaguered armies have been whittled down from 75,000 to about 35,000 from protracted battle, siege and attrition in my war with the HRE and there's a solid 100,000 - most of them my erstwhile vassals - burning every inch of thrace to the loving ground

kill all popes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was talking with my girlfriend about tolerance towards people of any religious background and how not having sectarian attitudes towards other people is more important than any specific religious belief. Something we both feel pretty strongly about. Mid-conversation, I captured the king of Maharastra at the very beginning of a war against him. I was immediately like gently caress YES and sacrificed him to the gods instead of using him for the immediate 100% war score because I could beat him straight up anyways and who can pass up burning an infidel king at the stake? I didn't even realize the irony until a few minutes later. This game does weird things to people.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Nope, Charlemagne start, playing as tiny rear end Orkney tribe with goal of going Merchant republic of Northern sea islands (and Iceland) and going as tall as possible.

Mainland Europe is basically complete pandemonium. Francia is still ruled by Karling, but they are Sunni. That little kingdom of Italy is Crusader Kingdom of Italy, the fruit of crusade against Sunni Karling Francia and ruled by my current rulers brother. Saxony is also my own drat fault - I was trying my hand at dynastic politics, trying to forge an alliance between me, Eire and Saxony so that I could win independence from Pictland Kingdom I was vassal under and which was vastly stronger than me and while I got my alliances and my independence, I also screwed up and the ruler of Saxony inherited all of Ireland. Not pictured, but Byzantine Empire was conquered by.....Miaphysite Syria, before it collapsed and now there is Shia Empire of Thrace occupying most of its territory. Byzantine Empire still exist, but is reduced to like 6 counties around Mediterranean. I have no idea what's up with Hinduist, Buddhist and Taoist rulers all over Europe but its apparently a thing. :shrug:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ck2 does a nice job showing how power corrupts

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So this is actually going to work decently.

My dynamic mercenary company is already looking pretty formidable at a maintenance cost of 80 a month. I've been popping over to it every now and again to throw some more men and equipment at it. When it gets up to the 300-400 range I feel comfortable with, I'll hire it and keep it as my personal retinue. It should be plenty strong enough to do the bulk of my fighting at that point, and it should be very good in tight quarters with low supply limits since there's gonna be pretty much no light infantry by the time I'm done. Can't seem to add any archers tho. :shrug: Wouldn't bother me if I could do a bunch of horse archers to fill the gap, but it'll have to do.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 27, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anias posted:

Ck2 does a nice job showing how power corrupts

The best steam review ever written is for CK2, and it's simply "I thought I was a moral person. I was wrong".

TomViolence posted:

my deeply cursed playthrough just got hosed by the pope again

a loving possessed, cannibal pope at that

i was one province away from reforming the roman empire, launched a war against the terrifying 80,000 strong army of the holy (false) roman empire to claim it. halfway through the war my emperor dies but the succession goes pretty smoothly but for one thing: my son is orthodox. of course this doesn't seem like a huge red flag at the time

but lo and behold, as we crest 85% war score against the kaiser, the pope - who is my vassal - announces a crusade.

a crusade for thrace

once triggered, the crusade absolutely splinters my realm, thanks to the many, many catholic vassals that years of successive catholic rulers have converted or given titles all having pledged themselves. my beleaguered armies have been whittled down from 75,000 to about 35,000 from protracted battle, siege and attrition in my war with the HRE and there's a solid 100,000 - most of them my erstwhile vassals - burning every inch of thrace to the loving ground

kill all popes.

Looks like you just got 4th crusaded, son.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do I need to personally own Constantinople to put a Patriarch there in a shattered world? I have my 1k piety but there's no option to create a religious head with the Doux of Thrace as my vassal.