Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
what? we do something where you establish the vpn connection from the lock screen, then log in to the laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's the thing i'm tolkien about, to set that up with the native vpn client you either have to dig through a bunch of legacy control panels or use powershell

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Windows programmers suck at updates, programming in general

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1067127351979532288?s=19

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

that's the thing i'm tolkien about, to set that up with the native vpn client you either have to dig through a bunch of legacy control panels or use powershell

ew. glad I don't have to cj this poo poo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

fun

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i know, let's fire the qa people, think how much money we save on payroll costs, with no downsides!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
oh

windows ten is being developed

it's a development deal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

icloud works on my 1809 machine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i have a 2018 machine :c00lbert:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

feature updates still completely break MDT/WDS lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

this has been a known/acknowledged bug for like 2.5 years

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

boy howdy i sure do love microsoft's cunning plan to hamstring their entire enterprise product lineup by tying everything to server 2019, but also not doing an RTM release of server 2019 so literally no OEMs support it.

you idiots. you loving morons.

all part of their grand plan to make Azure look like the better alternative

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheany posted:

i know, let's fire the qa people, think how much money we save on payroll costs, with no downsides!

They've been writing automatic tests for twenty years, we can just keep running the old ones!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

wtf is happening with windows, i thought 7 was pretty good for a windows

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

lomarf

wrap it up, microsoft windows-ailures

your os is a piece of poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skim Milk posted:

:aaa:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
they got sucked into the os as a service approach because apple did it. and then fired qa

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

except of course apple's money is in secondary services and hardware, whereas Microsoft is trying to tie that model to the OS itself and.

well here we are.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toady posted:

it still remains the best os ever made, the fools who installed windows 10 have only themselves to blame

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
automatic time zone detection has literally never worked on any windows machine I've owned. it's amazing how many settings don't work at all in windows

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toady posted:

Windows 7SP1 end of extended support: January 14, 2020

orange sky
May 7, 2007

James Baud posted:

Windows 7SP1 end of extended support: January 14, 2020

Lmao this is gonna be so fun

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

orange sky posted:

Lmao this is gonna be so fun

Yeah, just a hair more than a year away and it's still at 30-40% of all Windows machines depending on which stats you go by.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Skim Milk posted:

lomarf

wrap it up, microsoft windows-ailures

you don't have to be good, you just have to be the best :c00lbutt:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Honestly I'm very bearish about the long term sustainability of Microsoft. New companies will spend a tenth of what old companies are by using Chromebooks or something like that, and now for internal workflows you already have platform independent or browser based software... When people realize the loving millions they're throwing away for a piece of poo poo software like windows that will require your IT to janitor it 24 hours a day they might think twice

Of course they'll still have O365 and Azure, but Windows doesn't look very good, and it's on the Enterprise that they make money

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

orange sky posted:

Honestly I'm very bearish about the long term sustainability of Microsoft. New companies will spend a tenth of what old companies are by using Chromebooks or something like that, and now for internal workflows you already have platform independent or browser based software... When people realize the loving millions they're throwing away for a piece of poo poo software like windows that will require your IT to janitor it 24 hours a day they might think twice

Of course they'll still have O365 and Azure, but Windows doesn't look very good, and it's on the Enterprise that they make money

as bad as windows is no office could function without excel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LastInLine posted:

as bad as windows is no office could function without excel

there’s always excel for mac

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

there’s always excel for mac

known for being a cheaper alternative to windows

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there’s always in-browser excel that comes built in to share point

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

orange sky posted:

vintage hot take, comes back into fashion every decade like clockwork

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I mean Excel is pretty much all-purpose but many times what you're doing in Excel can be done more cheaply and faster in any other of the billions of applications that now exist, it's just a matter of looking for it

What I'm trying to say here is not that in 5 years no one will use Windows, but now you have something that didn't happen for a while, IT pretty much everywhere is tired of Microsoft's bullshit plan of trying to be apple when they obviously can't

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

vintage hot take, comes back into fashion every decade like clockwork

You can't possibly be comparing IT and the software ecosystem in general in the last few decades with the last 10 years

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

orange sky posted:

I mean Excel is pretty much all-purpose but many times what you're doing in Excel can be done more cheaply and faster in any other of the billions of applications that now exist, it's just a matter of looking for it

i mean, this was more true in both 1998 (when there were legitimate commercial competitors) and 2008 (when openoffice was closer to some kind of parity)

i wont rule out that you'll wind up right this time, but the evidence has really not improved at all over the last 20 years. possibly things really will move to the web in a more systematic way, but that too looked like a better bet in 2008

e:

orange sky posted:

You can't possibly be comparing IT and the software ecosystem in general in the last few decades with the last 10 years

sure i can? like, linux on the desktop looked like far less of a joke in the mid-00s, and in 98 microsofts grip looked a lot more tenuous since they were technologically far more messed up then (windows 9x being a triumph but very frankensteinian, nt 4 just barely having a toehold in server halls by way of domain controllers etc.)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 27, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I can't imagine growing up using Android and iOS from 3yo to like 18 and then picking up Windows without being forced to do it, and even then there'll be resistance

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you're predicting the death of the personal computer that is at least a modern-day take yeah

orange sky
May 7, 2007

If Google pushes on the k-12 for Chromebooks internationally as hard as they're doing in the US Microsoft is super hosed, you've probably seen this but drat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

orange sky posted:

If Google pushes on the k-12 for Chromebooks internationally as hard as they're doing in the US Microsoft is super hosed, you've probably seen this but drat

im linux on the k-12 desktop

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

windows 10 is free software :)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows 10 is more like a city service, where everyone is taxed for it but then gets to use it at no additional cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

fart simpson posted:

im linux on the k-12 desktop

2019’s the year, baby