Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have a loving gigabit line and that 4k streaming STILL lags. I just blame Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't see a 4k option on youtube, it just tops out at the regular 1080. am i missing something?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The spiders really are BS though, I don't know that there's actually any good way to take them out. Especially that big one whose model is way too big for the space they've got it in and it can't get in or out of any of the doors leading to that small entrance room.

I do think it's a shame you missed fighting that hunter though, maybe you could double back to him from the other side?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't see a 4k option on youtube, it just tops out at the regular 1080. am i missing something?

Strange, no idea why that could be.

The option is there, at least for me anyway! I checked on my phone/on another browser and it's there too.

bike tory posted:

The spiders really are BS though, I don't know that there's actually any good way to take them out. Especially that big one whose model is way too big for the space they've got it in and it can't get in or out of any of the doors leading to that small entrance room.

I do think it's a shame you missed fighting that hunter though, maybe you could double back to him from the other side?

The best way to take out the spiders is to use a Shaman Bone Blade, you can run right in and smack the big guy with it. Then he and all the smaller (relatively speaking) spiders will start a drat mosh pit with their wiggly extendo-arms and screaming AOE attacks and hopefully kill each other. But that requires running directly up to the spiders and getting in their grill which I will never ever do ever.

Regarding Choir Intellegencer Edgar, we'll be talking about him in the Nightmare of Mensis bonus feature, but he's a bit too close to spidertown for me to wanna fight him. Remember that if I died against Edgar there, I'd have to run past the spiders again, and I was nooooot gonna risk that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I feel like any encounter that requires you to use a rare, expendable item is poorly designed though. Like most enemies you can kind of see how From intended you to kill them, but those spiders don't really have any weakness

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, the bone blade method isn't very practical, but it is basically guaranteed to work. In general though the spiders are far too aggressive, they'll just run at you at once and start swinging without any care or attention paid to each other which is lame.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Spider room is super easy if you go up the right side and knock them down one at a time with pebbles tbh. It’s also where the bell-ringing woman for this area is.

It’s hard to time but you can actually get a plunging attack on the Big Spider via that walkway afaik.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I love Micolash because he's one of the few characters you meet who isn't buried in regret and failure, because a.) he is legitimately, looney-tunes insane and b.) his cabal's plan actually kind of worked, and to the extent that it didn't work they're all too crazy to recognize it. The next episode will get into that a bit more but I appreciate how Mensis rounds-out the three routes to human ascension.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I encountered the spiders for the first time yesterday. I doubled back into the entrance room and could handle the swarm of small spiders easily enough with the Threaded Cane transformed. I have no idea how I would have handled them with any other weapon though. The big spider then blocked the doorway and had longer reach than the Threaded Cane, so I went into a routine of Bone Marrow Ash -> fire the Repeating Pistol and repeat process. Most of my carried Bone Marrow Ashes were consumed, they are not so awesome for low Bloodtinge builds despite what the item says. Well, I guess if you use the Bone Marrow Ash -> Parry with Reiterpallasch -> Shoot with Cannon combo you get some bang for the bucks. Or you can replace the Cannon with the Flamesprayer and throw an Oil Urn into the mix.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I definitely hate dealing with these spiders over the ones in Dark Souls 2.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Probably lags because you don't have 4k hw decoding of vp9

Safari and Firefox on windows will top out at 1080p since Google requires vp9 but macos has no hw acceleration of it leading to garbage battery life

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Strange Matter posted:

b.) his cabal's plan actually kind of worked
They really did get basically more or less exactly what they asked for: bodiless immortality in a realm that's completely of the mind. They're called the mensis scholars for a reason, after all. It's not just a proper noun.

It's one of the scarier things about the setting, I think: that there actually are groups who have a good enough grasp of the arcane knowledge to intentionally do things like that, or turn themselves into things like that, because they're also universally horrible people.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think they expected more agency

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thus "basically," not "entirely." :v:

But, you know, they still managed to do the difficult part. The rest is fine-tuning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Be careful what you wish for 'cause you just might spider

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think theyre in a position to do much fine-tuning, gotta get that poo poo right your first attempt

imagine 4 factions of failsons/daughters on the precipice of eldritch enlighte

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, you know, in principle. I'd be impressed by anyone who can send their brain juices to an alien dream-dimension at all, even if they do turn into spiders on the way.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Tollymain posted:

i dont think theyre in a position to do much fine-tuning, gotta get that poo poo right your first attempt

imagine 4 factions of failsons/daughters on the precipice of eldritch enlighte

Holy poo poo they got this poster mid sentence

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if u dont do magic right its just an impressive fuckup

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

They really did get basically more or less exactly what they asked for: bodiless immortality in a realm that's completely of the mind. They're called the mensis scholars for a reason, after all. It's not just a proper noun.

It's one of the scarier things about the setting, I think: that there actually are groups who have a good enough grasp of the arcane knowledge to intentionally do things like that, or turn themselves into things like that, because they're also universally horrible people.

For me, mensis always implied blood and lunar cycles more than "mental/mind"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They do wear those cages on their heads to do something to their minds and the 'blood' angle is already more or less covered by the healing church. Plus, they're a college. The connection to 'mental' seems stronger to me than a possible connection to menses.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm not saying it's either/or, more than likely it's both

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose it could be. The word does look like it's trying to be both.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I just like how much sheer FUN Micolash is having, also that his complaint upon being defeated is not that he's going to die or lose or anything, but that he'll FORGET EVERYTHING.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

I just like how much sheer FUN Micolash is having, also that his complaint upon being defeated is not that he's going to die or lose or anything, but that he'll FORGET EVERYTHING.

By being forced to wake up he does lose everything though. He may very well be dead in the world but even still he is never going to have a chance to come back here and I doubt Yharnim has the population left to be able to feed the type of ritual needed to create this place.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo micolash failed to ascend his mind properly and would have cackled and chortled like an idiot forever believing he was achieving or had achieved his goal had he not happened to be in your way. i mean, the man clearly lost the plot somewhere along the way, assuming he ever really knew what it was and wasnt simply fortunes fool. the wisdom of the great ones is incomprehensible but hes clearly a dead end

anyway i dont think he truly understands the ramifications of anything properly at that point in the dream or real worlds (insofar as yharnam itself is real, which, )

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Tollymain posted:

imo micolash failed to ascend his mind properly and would have cackled and chortled like an idiot forever believing he was achieving or had achieved his goal had he not happened to be in your way. i mean, the man clearly lost the plot somewhere along the way, assuming he ever really knew what it was and wasnt simply fortunes fool. the wisdom of the great ones is incomprehensible but hes clearly a dead end

anyway i dont think he truly understands the ramifications of anything properly at that point in the dream or real worlds (insofar as yharnam itself is real, which, )
As was quoted above, the ritual that the Mensis scholars tried to access resulted in the "stillbirth of their minds" so they didn't achieve true ascension in any meaningful way, but then again look at their competition. Byrgenwerth's methods created Rom and the Healing Church created the Celestial Emissary and its retinue, none of which are especially impressive compared even with the Amygdalas, which occupy a fairly low rung in Bloodborne's cosmic hierarchy. But as the next episode will no doubt cover, what they did accomplish is still extremely significant.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Tollymain posted:

if u dont do magic right its just an impressive fuckup

When did @wint get a position at the Unseen University?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

As was quoted above, the ritual that the Mensis scholars tried to access resulted in the "stillbirth of their minds"
Whatever that even means. Micolash seems crazy, but not any less of a person than he presumably was when his body still lived.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cardiovorax posted:

Whatever that even means. Micolash seems crazy, but not any less of a person than he presumably was when his body still lived.
Possibly because he's the Host of the Nightmare he got off easy. The rest of the Mensis scholars are in a bad way, and not even necessarily the ones who got turned into spiders. The ritual i think turned the rest of their brains into scrambled eggs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's somothing we can really only guess at, I suppose. With a setting like this, it's always hard to tell the difference between "does it think at all" and "does it think in a way you can't understand anymore."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

As was quoted above, the ritual that the Mensis scholars tried to access resulted in the "stillbirth of their minds" so they didn't achieve true ascension in any meaningful way, but then again look at their competition. Byrgenwerth's methods created Rom and the Healing Church created the Celestial Emissary and its retinue, none of which are especially impressive compared even with the Amygdalas, which occupy a fairly low rung in Bloodborne's cosmic hierarchy. But as the next episode will no doubt cover, what they did accomplish is still extremely significant.

It is hard to say what they were aiming for with Rom, however they did manage to create a creature respected by the very type of beings that everyone is seeking and was able to keep a lid on everything that the Mensis scholars were trying to do before we killed it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Hunt11 posted:

It is hard to say what they were aiming for with Rom, however they did manage to create a creature respected by the very type of beings that everyone is seeking and was able to keep a lid on everything that the Mensis scholars were trying to do before we killed it.
One thing I'm unsure of is the timing of Rom's creation. Did they use the Umbilical to ascend Rom in response to the Ritual of Mensis, thus making it a noble act of sacrifice aimed at containing a nightmare; or had Rom already gone through the process and was already in a position to intervene against Mensis?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

One thing I'm unsure of is the timing of Rom's creation. Did they use the Umbilical to ascend Rom in response to the Ritual of Mensis, thus making it a noble act of sacrifice aimed at containing a nightmare; or had Rom already gone through the process and was already in a position to intervene against Mensis?

I thing it was a flawed attempt to ascend but it was done in such a way that there was very little collateral damage and was actually able to achieve something unlike the rest of the idiots trying their hands at becoming gods.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This all speaks to the subtext of Bloodborne, which is the idea that people will go to great lengths either to achieve power or escape suffering. From the perspective of the player every "successful" attempt at ascension is clearly not worth it. Is Rom in a better position as a barely mobile spider secluded in a dreamland than he was as a human? Are the Choir better off as blobby greys than they were as flesh and blood people? Each instance seems horrible to us from our sane, real-world perspective but in-universe the participants either thought the rewards validated the risks or genuinely believed they are better off as weird monsters than they were as humans. And what does that tell you about their view of normal human life?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Power, knowledge and eternal life are powerful draws for anyone. I know I'd be hard-pressed to say no to even a chance at successful eldritch ascension.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The game is pretty explicit about what happened to the school of mensis's brains

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I’m pretty sure that the corpse puppets in the Micolash fight are also Scholars of Mensis, and that Micolash is the only one to retain any level of sanity and autonomy.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Strange Matter posted:

One of interesting questions is if there was one Ritual of Mensis, two, or perhaps even more: its entirely possible the scholars did their own ritual in the past, and those that followed after did it again just recently.

What if the first ritual coincided with the destruction of Old Yharnam? Or for a real headscratch, why did Micolash say Kos gave Rom eyes when Kos was dead by the time the hunters even found her? And dead in the same dream Micolash is currently in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the Nightmare of Mensis is a different place from the Hunter's Nightmare.