Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
spyro reignited is nice and charming but boy does it highlight the doldrums that late 90's/early oughts platformers fell into

the first one is a pleasant linear romp and then with the second and third it's chatty sidekicks and stupid minigames from the window to the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The health stamina deadeye horse cores in RDR2 annoy me and should be taken out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kazil posted:

Take the remotes off the Switch.

I think if you deactivate the control, you can readjust your switch, then reactivate it and move again from there.

Also if people don't know, theres a glitch where you can hold down the whistle button and mash run to go at nearly full speed without spending stamina.

You also attract all the attention in a 20 mile region but whatever

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There was no good reason in Fallout 4 why junk items weren't weightless without mods since the game encourages you to pick everything up.

After a few hours you hit your breaking-point and console-command 1000lbs of adhesive because you sure as poo poo aren't getting the stuff by any method that isn't nerdy metagaming.

there's really no point to the hording nature of fallout 4, all it does is bloat the game by a few more hours due to all the trash you have to pick up and manage. it's not even fun or benefits the core gameplay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How to deal with materials in FO4:

Build a bunch of water purifiers and place them in your settlement
Wait 24 hours
Grab a million water bottles from the red crafting station or w/e its called
Trade them to merchants for shipments

Alternatively don't bother with crafting cause your massive water profits will let you just buy any fancy equipment :v:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

How to deal with materials in FO4:

Don't because the crafting and settlements are shoehorned trash

I mean, maybe not complete trash, but I couldn't get into it. FO4 is...bad. And I've never played 1 or 2, just 3 and NV.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Fallout 4 had this problem for me where the RPG elements and writing were really lovely compared to New Vegas, and the shooting elements felt similar enough to Wolfenstein: The New Order to feel like a really lovely version of that, especially after Bethsoft made a big deal about headhunting someone from Bungie to help make the shooting good. It was a thoroughly underwhelming experience. I'm also someone who only really played FO3 and NV for any great length of time. I tried FO1 and 2, but I didn't get very far in them because I don't like CRPG gameplay.

Inco has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Nov 26, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Settlement building is the only real fun I had in FO4 looking back, as the rest of the game was just a hunt for more building materials.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inco posted:

Fallout 4 had this problem for me where the RPG elements and writing were really lovely compared to New Vegas, and the shooting elements felt similar enough to Wolfenstein: The New Order to feel like a really lovely version of that, especially after Bethsoft made a big deal about headhunting someone from Bungie to help make the shooting good. It was a thoroughly underwhelming experience.

To be fair "a lovely version of Wolfenstein" is a big step up from the shooting mechanics in the previous games.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

The health stamina deadeye horse cores in RDR2 annoy me and should be taken out.

I generally like them, or at the very least don’t mind them, but the dead eye one gets on my nerves. It will be full one second and then I look away for a minute and suddenly it’s zeroed out and I have no idea why.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

[

The chop-shop collectathon, where you bring back vehicles to a garage to add them to your collection, was surprisingly fun despite the fact you don't need to drive in this game.

OK, this made me laugh. Trying to picture something similar in a game I played and seriously drawing a blank.

"I collected all these arrows and bow parts in Tomb Raider despite never having to use archery".

"All that green gel in The Evil Within 2? Really fun to collect but had no sue for it"

oldpainless posted:

How many cores does the horse need to health stamina dead eye something?

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Nov 26, 2018

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
here's a list of the good games that bethesda has developed:

deus ex
system shock 2
quake
morrowind
prey
diablo 2
warcraft 3
half-life
thief 2
grim fandango
crypt of the necrodancer
undertale
planescape torment
mass effect

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think the big thing about Fallout 4 is that all the enemies have the exact same AI. Either “fire at where you are until reload then continue firing/throw explosives at where you are” or “run towards where you are and melee attack.”

It wouldn’t matter even if the shooting mechanics were good, as the enemy AI is like 90s videogame quality.

Like if Raiders, Synths etc all had different sort of combat styles that would be pretty good, and also like the first Halo that came out in 2001.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

There was no good reason in Fallout 4 why junk items weren't weightless without mods since the game encourages you to pick everything up.

After a few hours you hit your breaking-point and console-command 1000lbs of adhesive because you sure as poo poo aren't getting the stuff by any method that isn't nerdy metagaming.
Encumbrance, like weapon durability, is an archaic garbage mechanic that has never been fun. Ever :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

Encumbrance, like weapon durability, is an archaic garbage mechanic that has never been fun. Ever :colbert:

I liked it a lot in Hardcore mode in NV, where some weapons did less damage but had crazy light ammo so you could shoot for days.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

U.T. Raptor posted:

Limited inventories that make sure everything is in easy reach and force the player back to town every now and again are a really good compromise on a lot of things.

Weight mechanics suck.

Weight mechanics are made infinitely worse with an unlimited inventory.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think the big thing about Fallout 4 is that all the enemies have the exact same AI. Either “fire at where you are until reload then continue firing/throw explosives at where you are” or “run towards where you are and melee attack.”

It wouldn’t matter even if the shooting mechanics were good, as the enemy AI is like 90s videogame quality.

Like if Raiders, Synths etc all had different sort of combat styles that would be pretty good, and also like the first Halo that came out in 2001.

It's not just that all the enemies have the exact same AI, it's also that it's the same AI that they've been using since 2001. It's kind of appalling. Every fight in Fallout 4 is pretty much the same as every fight in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and the only difference between the fights in Fallout and Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind is that Fallout has more ranged weaponry in use.

Inco has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Nov 26, 2018

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Inco posted:

Fallout 4 had this problem for me where the RPG elements and writing were really lovely compared to New Vegas, and the shooting elements felt similar enough to Wolfenstein: The New Order to feel like a really lovely version of that, especially after Bethsoft made a big deal about headhunting someone from Bungie to help make the shooting good. It was a thoroughly underwhelming experience. I'm also someone who only really played FO3 and NV for any great length of time. I tried FO1 and 2, but I didn't get very far in them because I don't like CRPG gameplay.

They headhunted someone from Bungie to make their shooting actually good, but kept using the same engine they’ve been using since 2000? Did anyone internally note the cross-purposes of these two things?

Also elder scrolls 6 and their next sci-fi rpg are keeping the same engine too lol.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inco posted:

It's not just that all the enemies have the exact same AI, it's also that it's the same AI that they've been using since 2001. It's kind of appalling. Every fight in Fallout 4 is pretty much the same as every fight in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and the only difference between the fights in Fallout and Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind is that Fallout has more ranged weaponry in use.

At least New Vegas added iron sights and character motivations to gameplay.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

They headhunted someone from Bungie to make their shooting actually good, but kept using the same engine they’ve been using since 2000? Did anyone internally note the cross-purposes of these two things?

That's not exactly working at cross-purposes, because they can (and did) improve the shooting part of the gameplay. It's just that they didn't improve the gameplay that much overall, since the enemies are still the same enemies we've been fighting since Morrowind, just with Mad Max armour instead of pelts and iron plate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

It's absolutely amazing that somehow they never imagined making caches a gameplay element. You'd just lay down a container in a semi-secret place, then tag it for pick-up so one of your villagers would pick it up later. Wow! Gameplay intergration and you could even arm the villagers and send them out to hunt garbage on their own maybe!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Any gameplay mechanic has to justify its purpose, but for FO4, like most of that game, it's there to be there, not to force you to pick between different weapons or armour or whatever.

Inco posted:

Yeah, them pretending to use cover and tactics is all well and good when you're a hovering gun ghost all the time anyway, with no real way to interact with the environment or the enemies. No cover, no nothing. You couldn't even make cover with your never explained ability to make garbage, which is something that Metal Gear Survive made into a loving art

Dragging down that game: because of retards that hated it without playing it all the incredible gameplay lessons in MGS will probably not be learned by other developers. It had great weapon progression, rock solid multiplayer, did scavenging way, way better than FO4 and all the garbage dragging it down mostly couldn't detract from that

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's absolutely amazing that somehow they never imagined making caches a gameplay element. You'd just lay down a container in a semi-secret place, then tag it for pick-up so one of your villagers would pick it up later. Wow! Gameplay intergration and you could even arm the villagers and send them out to hunt garbage on their own maybe!
Any gameplay mechanic has to justify its purpose, but for FO4, like most of that game, it's there to be there, not to force you to pick between different weapons or armour or whatever.
Yeah, them pretending to use cover and tactics is all well and good when you're a hovering gun ghost all the time anyway, with no real way to interact with the environment or the enemies. No cover, no nothing. You couldn't even make cover with your never explained ability to make garbage, which is something that Metal Gear Survive made into a loving art

Dragging down that game: because of retards that hated it without playing it all the incredible gameplay lessons in MGS will probably not be learned by other developers. It had great weapon progression, rock solid multiplayer, did scavenging way, way better than FO4 and all the garbage dragging it down mostly couldn't detract from that

I loved mgs5 gameplay and hated the cutscenes, but the reviews of survive made it look like boring jank? Is it actually fun?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I feel like, ultimately, this is the primary problem with Fallout 4 to me. There's a billion ways that it manifests, but it's always just that there's parts to the game that don't justify their own existence, either by not doing them well enough by themselves or not integrating it with the rest of the game. The whole game is disconnected mechanics, floating around and occasionally bumping into each other.

Even some of the stuff that's good is implemented in a way that makes other parts of the game worse. Weapon upgrading is the one that immediately sticks out to me there; it's great, but that combined with the removal of durability mechanics (which are again neither good nor bad, it depends on implementation) means that there's absolutely no point to the thousands of weapons the game drops for you. You've got an objectively superior gun, and it's not going to get worse or break, so what's the point of looting enemies of their guns?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I loved mgs5 gameplay and hated the cutscenes, but the reviews of survive made it look like boring jank? Is it actually fun?

It can be fun. I'm playing through it right now thanks to a sale and its not perfect, its a bit grindy (though I've never been in a situation where I'm locked out of something because I didn't grind enough bullshit), but I've been having fun dicking around with it. After a while you just get into a rhythm of sneaking into places, hoovering everything up and stealth killing zombies, and teleporting back.

It has a wonky pacing though, like the first two hours are really good, then the next 10 hours are kind of a waste since nothing really happens except youre wandering the dust activating fast travel points and doing a couple single player versions of multiplayer maps, then you hit this one point and it just gets amazing and feels more like metal gear than mgs5 ever did.

It's dumb pulp fun. I wouldn't recommend it at full price and I think the multiplayer is completely dead. I've heard some people describe it as a cheap mod passed as a full game, which yeah, it does feel like a mod (reuses a lot of assets, the game world is a highly condensed version of mgs5's game world, the plot is told almost completely in codec screens between chapters) but I don't know, it reminds me of when I used to download lovely zombie mod total conversions for games but I like it, I think it works in its favor.

One thing I think is really neat is it seems like when it randomly generates the side missions (which all have set locations), it calculates where you havent been recently and plops one there so that when you go there the loot in nearby buildings and stuff has regenerated, so youre not just going to place X to do Y and wasting your time.

Plus you actually get to customize your base camp (and it serves a purpose), at the beginning you get like a 16x16 block of space to put whatever wherever, then you can expand that at some point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

U.T. Raptor posted:

Encumbrance is a holdover from Dungeons & Dragons, where it was first put in because your goal in that game was to get treasure out of the dungeon however best you could (seriously that was the main source of XP), and so there's actually a lot of logistical thinking, like it matters if the treasure is a gem instead of its equivalent value in gold because it's lighter and more portable but you have to get it appraised, etc.

And pretty much every other RPG since, tabletop or video game, has included it out of a sense of obligation. It's rarely actually useful or needed as a balancing mechanic, and in video games it really stands out because you accumulate so much gd stuff.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Oxxidation posted:

spyro reignited is nice and charming but boy does it highlight the doldrums that late 90's/early oughts platformers fell into

the first one is a pleasant linear romp and then with the second and third it's chatty sidekicks and stupid minigames from the window to the wall

In the third game I decided early on that there was zero chance of me getting 100% of the eggs, and it was extremely freeing. It meant I could just skip any minigame that I found tedious, annoying or frustrating; so no racing, no skateboarding, no twin dragon fight with poor hitboxes, no twinstick shooter levels, no rail shooter level, no tank battle, no whack-a-mole, no lovely flying with the penguin sidekick. God, when I type it out I realized that the devs must have had almost no unique ideas of their own and just ripped off the mechanics of every other game they'd ever played and tossed them all in.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Encumbrance is a holdover from Dungeons & Dragons, where it was first put in because your goal in that game was to get treasure out of the dungeon however best you could (seriously that was the main source of XP), and so there's actually a lot of logistical thinking, like it matters if the treasure is a gem instead of its equivalent value in gold because it's lighter and more portable but you have to get it appraised, etc.

And pretty much every other RPG since, tabletop or video game, has included it out of a sense of obligation. It's rarely actually useful or needed as a balancing mechanic, and in video games it really stands out because you accumulate so much gd stuff.

There are probably like three total games I've played where limited inventory space added something to the gameplay, or was even neutral. Probably the best way to do it is how Heat Signature does it: you have a ton of tools and weapons you'd like to bring into a mission, but you can only take a limited number of them with you, so you have to make decisions about what'll be the most important to have on each particular mission. Once you're on the mission, however, your inventory space is effectively unlimited (you can teleport anything that has dropped into your inventory, so you're effectively carrying every item on the map at all times) and anything you want to keep can be tagged to be teleported back to base after the mission. Also, the basic guns and whatnot dropped by every enemy have no sell value or other use, so there's no motivation to hoover up every piece of crap that you find.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like botw did a fairly good job of balancing inventory limits

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tunicate posted:

I feel like botw did a fairly good job of balancing inventory limits

It had exactly the kind of inventory space management that I hate, and it significantly dragged down my experience. Every time I found a chest, opened it to find a fire sword or whatever, then whoops my inventory is full and the sword goes back in the chest, I have to open my inventory and decide what my crappiest sword is so I can throw it across the room and re-open the chest - it made me want to stop playing the game just a little bit more. And that's a decision point that you come to literally hundreds of times throughout the game (and every game with those sorts of inventory limits).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Triarii posted:

It had exactly the kind of inventory space management that I hate, and it significantly dragged down my experience. Every time I found a chest, opened it to find a fire sword or whatever, then whoops my inventory is full and the sword goes back in the chest, I have to open my inventory and decide what my crappiest sword is so I can throw it across the room and re-open the chest - it made me want to stop playing the game just a little bit more. And that's a decision point that you come to literally hundreds of times throughout the game (and every game with those sorts of inventory limits).

But it's okay to have a million interchangeable weapons since they break constantly!

Seriously though encumbrance and durability are two mechanics that almost never actually help the game and more often than not hurt it. I found a checklist map just so I can get the korok seeds so I can carry more because seriously this limit is garbage

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I found once I got over Elixir Syndrome I didn’t mind durability or carry space at all in BoTW. Once you realise you’ll get way more weapons than you ever need you can just be real cavalier with weapons. It feels weird and bad at first but is actually a solution to hoarding good weapons to the point you never use em.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Yeah, you need to get rid of those, like, four weapons that you SWEAR you'll use somewhere.

Get rid of that giant boomerang! Throw it at people until it explodes! It's not doing you any good just sitting there waiting for an enemy designed to be one-shot by a giant boomerang.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, you need to get rid of those, like, four weapons that you SWEAR you'll use somewhere.

Get rid of that giant boomerang! Throw it at people until it explodes! It's not doing you any good just sitting there waiting for an enemy designed to be one-shot by a giant boomerang.

Wizrobes!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I found once I got over Elixir Syndrome I didn’t mind durability or carry space at all in BoTW. Once you realise you’ll get way more weapons than you ever need you can just be real cavalier with weapons. It feels weird and bad at first but is actually a solution to hoarding good weapons to the point you never use em.

I still say they shouldn't have decided to copy encumbrance and weapon endurance in their ridiculously open world game.

I do absolutely love how I can basically choose exactly what I want to do and where I want to go but on the reverse side of things the game world is massive and empty. It would be one thing if there were like dynamic events or something going on other than rain and lightning. But as it is there's just giant open empty space between point a and b.

It does make Skyrim Lordran Hyrule feel huge but it doesn't do anything with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I went straight from BotW and Witcher 3 to Horizon: Zero Dawn, and the lack of weapon degradation or any kind of stamina bar is such a breath of fresh air. Every game, please be like that.
Inventory space is technically an issue, but mostly confined to all the doodads you loot to sell or trade with. In comparison it's a pretty miniscule problem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just use arrows lol

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I don’t think BoTW is empty at all. The world is lousy with Korok seeds and Shrines

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I don’t think BoTW is empty at all. The world is lousy with Korok seeds and Shrines

Yeah it's a bizarre complaint I see all the time. Botw has an incredibly interesting overworld, especially compared to the drab sameness of fallout/Skyrim/witcher

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Numerical upgrades are never as interesting as functional ones, though. I'd trade all the seeds and spirit orbs in the world for a hookshot, or a power bracelet, or even a weird vase that blows wind.

Or how about some special gloves that let me climb in the rain or something, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I went straight from BotW and Witcher 3 to Horizon: Zero Dawn, and the lack of weapon degradation or any kind of stamina bar is such a breath of fresh air. Every game, please be like that.
Inventory space is technically an issue, but mostly confined to all the doodads you loot to sell or trade with. In comparison it's a pretty miniscule problem.

Neither Aloy nor Geralt are a third as mobile as Link is. If Link didn’t have a stamina meter you’d break the game in half over your knee
And again, just use weapons. There’s only like a handful of weapons and shields that don’t respawn but they’re not like super useful or strong