Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Lauda chose to drive an Italian death trap with no eyebrows or lungs only weeks after his employer nearly succeeded in murdering him, he's the better Austrian.

But anyone have stats on deaths per constructor? I might wager that Chapman was a more prolific murderer than Enzo. Rule Britannia.

Chapman definitely outright killed more but I bet if you count maiming drivers Enzo probably tops it. The Italians half rear end everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did a little research and in outright fatalities Ferrari and Lotus are tied (7). But factoring in races entered, Colin (491) killed a much higher percentage of his drivers (1 driver per 70 races, where Ferrari is 1 every 139). However of the major teams it looks like Cooper was the most enthusiastic murderer, having killed 5 in 128 entries for a rate of 1 death every 26 races. That's putting aside outliers like Kurtis Kraft who were really just competing in USAC stuff I think, but killed 5 drivers at the Indy 500 during the 50s when it was an F1 championship race and so they technically entered 12 F1 championship races over that period. I kind of regret having compiled those statistics.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lol yeah the AOWR fatalities/injuries make the F1 guys look like saints in comparison. It’s also a consequence of the tracks they race in though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Stroll Driver of the Day

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9Ldtv4JCU

jesus christ the loving sport didn't even suck off the GOAT MSC himself when he retired in 2006. This is insane.

This is a 2x WDC who is extremely toxic to all the teams he's ever raced for and was involved in not just one but two of the worst scandals in F1 history.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im sorry that your brother died. He is now in Heaven with Enzo and Gilles.
Liberty sucking off Alonso is cringe as gently caress

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lol at all of you pretending you wouldn't immediately fall to your knees and do your best Hoover impression if you actually experienced the magnificent Nando's charisma and gravitas in person.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Lol at all of you pretending you wouldn't immediately fall to your knees and do your best Hoover impression if you actually experienced the magnificent Nando's charisma and gravitas in person.

Marquez likes him, that is not a good thing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hey, check out this bit after GM announced 5 plants closing, 15% slash in salary for the workforce and a bunch of layoffs and poo poo.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/26/alonso-to-drive-for-gm-brands-in-2019-daytona-24-hours-and-indy-500/

Alonso to drive for GM brands Cadillac and Chevrolet. Great loving timing. As if you needed any more evidence Alonso is toxic.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidpoocati posted:

Marquez likes him, that is not a good thing.

I like Marquez too. :shrug:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

Hey, check out this bit after GM announced 5 plants closing, 15% slash in salary for the workforce and a bunch of layoffs and poo poo.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/26/alonso-to-drive-for-gm-brands-in-2019-daytona-24-hours-and-indy-500/

Alonso to drive for GM brands Cadillac and Chevrolet. Great loving timing. As if you needed any more evidence Alonso is toxic.

He could have run a Honda, the best engine in the field since loving CHAMP but you know...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Carth Dookie posted:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

I’ve been in the same restaurant as Alonso, bout 5 ft away and I did NOT suck him off

He’s very short too

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He's beautiful, though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

I like Marquez too. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqacVRSB5DA

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't deny he occasionally forgets he's a multiple world champion and races like he's in the rookies cup, but he's also tough as nails (that quali minutes after he dislocated his shoulder... drat dude) and would be good fun to hang out with outside his area of competition. And he's exciting to watch when he races.

Edit: and he's not a whiner like Lorenzo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

I don't deny he occasionally forgets he's a multiple world champion and races like he's in the rookies cup, but he's also tough as nails (that quali minutes after he dislocated his shoulder... drat dude) and would be good fun to hang out with outside his area of competition. And he's exciting to watch when he races.

Edit: and he's not a whiner like Lorenzo.

Sorry but Lorenzo owns and its going to rule when he does to Marquez at Honda exactly what he did to Rossi at Yamaha.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Whatever awful things you might be able to say about any motorcycle riders, none are as bad as the spiteful lowland criminal Obersturmbannführer Max Von Stappen.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Whatever awful things you might be able to say about any motorcycle riders, none are as bad as the spiteful lowland criminal Obersturmbannführer Max Von Stappen.

Somewhere, Romano Fenati laughs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

Somewhere, Romano Fenati laughs.

And that shitbag might get another ride.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Minto Took posted:

And that shitbag might get another ride.

He's in moto 3 next year with the same team that originally dropped him

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lol, the only driver to get on the podium that wasn't from the top 3 teams was Perez in Baku.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

lol, the only driver to get on the podium that wasn't from the top 3 teams was Perez in Baku.

Now imagine what Are Lance is gonna accomplish with that team in 2019.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1500quidpoocati posted:

Now imagine what Are Lance is gonna accomplish with that team in 2019.

0 / 0 = ?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

He's in moto 3 next year with the same team that originally dropped him

:monocle:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Further proof that Ericsson loving owns

https://twitter.com/Ericsson_Marcus/status/1067008571307634689

And now he's off to some deadbeat broke rear end series with the most deluded American sports fans around in cars that routinely paralyze or kill racing around ovals that have no business having those fragile single seaters on them.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Marcus is a good Swedish lad. Bin driver, but good lad.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That's the loving point. He's actually not a bin driver at all. He's actually a really good consistent midfielder. He's not the best but he's so far loving off the bottom that it's a joke he's labeled as poo poo. Look at his performance against Leclerc. He's put that Sauber in Q3 from time to time. He owns. He's like a Fisichella or Trulli.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Ericsson should do very well as an IndyCar rookie, assuming he does not get decapitated at Indy, Texas, or Pocono :shrug:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

He owns. He's like a Fisichella or Trulli.

Does not compute

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

gret posted:

He grew up and went to school in the UK. His dad is British. What's Thai about him besides his mom?

He is as British as Gibraltar, in my opinion. Which is really quite British indeed, in case Spain's president is reading this thread

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

That's the loving point. He's actually not a bin driver at all. He's actually a really good consistent midfielder. He's not the best but he's so far loving off the bottom that it's a joke he's labeled as poo poo. Look at his performance against Leclerc. He's put that Sauber in Q3 from time to time. He owns. He's like a Fisichella or Trulli.

He's another driver who, given the right car, could have been mildly successful for a mid-tier driver.
In his entire career the only times he's driven a car that had any business sniffing around the points... he's sniffed around the points.

He drove for Caterham in their last year, got 9 points and drove okay for Sauber in their "it's 2015 and we're gonna see what spending all our money gets us", drove an absolute dog of a car in "it's 2016 and we have no money to develop our car" and "it's 2017 and we got bought out, but those guys just want to flip us; we can't afford to redesign our car around the new engine Ferrari made" and has done... okay this year.

He's not a star and absolutely doesn't deserve a top tier drive, but he's been capable of getting a bit out of the cars he's driven so far. In many ways, that highlight's Charles' ability to get the most out of the Sauber this year.

Having said that, there's precious few people in F1 who out and out don't deserve a drive. Even Sebastian "Fraudulent pissbaby supreme" Vettel deserves a seat. It's really only Stroll and even he has shown that he can drive an F1 car at F1 race speeds when given an F1 car and not a garbage fire on wheels.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hartley.

Oh wait you said precious few, not none. Carry on.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I sort of feel bad for Hartley.

He really was just a stop gap in the Redbull program. Wouldn't have even been on the radar for a drive if everyone else in the driver program wasn't terrible at the time.

He certainly wasn't Ide/Yoong levels of terrible.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wierd that "well he wasnt terrible" seems to be an acceptable standard for f1 though. There genuinely are tiers of f1 drivers.

Tier 1 is Lewis, Kimi, Vettel, ricciardo, even max. Drivers who have shown theyre good at driving by being given an opportunity and taking it. For all the whining about "hurr they just got lucky and had the best car on the day“ they demonstrate frequently exactly why they got into that car and why they should stay there.

Then you have tier 2 drivers, hulkenbergs, bottas', ocons of the world world who have actual talent but not the consistency or the polish to show it. They get a chance to show what they can do and they gently caress it up and sadly thats all it takes to stop a career dead.

Then theres tier three or "nothing" drivers. These are guys that got in by the skin of their teeth or money or both. Basically what you get if you take the average person and give them the ability to drive as a profession. A life time of training and practice filling in the gaps caused by lack of talent. Are they some of the best drivers in the world? Yes sure. Is that good enough for f1? Nope. Noone should be surprised or upset when the revolving door these drivers live in rotates and dumps them out simultaneously bringing in a bunch of new ones. One of those new ones might be a tier2 or even tier1.

Love or hate a driver, in 5 seconds youll be able to mentally place them in one of those categories whether you like the answer or not.

Ericcson was tier3
E: so was Hartley

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I was staring blankly for 24 hours at the old thread before I realized something was up.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

mrfart posted:

I was staring blankly for 24 hours at the old thread before I realized something was up.

Makes two of us. Was trying to figure out why it was so drat quiet then it dawned on me.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Wierd that "well he wasnt terrible" seems to be an acceptable standard for f1 though. There genuinely are tiers of f1 drivers.

Tier 1 is Lewis, Kimi, Vettel, ricciardo, even max. Drivers who have shown theyre good at driving by being given an opportunity and taking it. For all the whining about "hurr they just got lucky and had the best car on the day“ they demonstrate frequently exactly why they got into that car and why they should stay there.

Then you have tier 2 drivers, hulkenbergs, bottas', ocons of the world world who have actual talent but not the consistency or the polish to show it. They get a chance to show what they can do and they gently caress it up and sadly thats all it takes to stop a career dead.

Then theres tier three or "nothing" drivers. These are guys that got in by the skin of their teeth or money or both. Basically what you get if you take the average person and give them the ability to drive as a profession. A life time of training and practice filling in the gaps caused by lack of talent. Are they some of the best drivers in the world? Yes sure. Is that good enough for f1? Nope. Noone should be surprised or upset when the revolving door these drivers live in rotates and dumps them out simultaneously bringing in a bunch of new ones. One of those new ones might be a tier2 or even tier1.

Love or hate a driver, in 5 seconds youll be able to mentally place them in one of those categories whether you like the answer or not.

Ericcson was tier3
E: so was Hartley

My 5 second tiers:

Tier 1: Stroll, Leclerc, Alonso
Tier 2: Vettel, Raikkonen
Tier 3: the rest.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

My 5 second tiers:

Tier 1: Stroll, Leclerc, Alonso
Tier 2: Vettel, Raikkonen