Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

monkeu posted:

Hahahahahah

Question time is gonna be loving hilarious

I'm gonna try and listen again today, but every time I just slam it off in disgust.

e. I am already regretting this decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Question Time is only marginally better than Q&A because you can watch it to figure out the political narrative. It is a period of parliament set aside for politicians to focus test their message and what they'll use in an advert or flyer. There isn't a good reason to ever watch it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tokamak posted:

Question Time is only marginally better than Q&A because you can watch it to figure out the political narrative. It is a period of parliament set aside for politicians to focus test their message and what they'll use in an advert or flyer. There isn't a good reason to ever watch it.

I started watching Question Time when Simon Crean was opposition leader. John Howard never looked more appealing debating next to that substanceless gorm who had the debating skills of a second grade student having a panic attack.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

GotLag posted:

Which are the mung beans?

ferals, hippies, the nimbin set. the True Green stereotype. Don't know if they have any elected reps.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Question time now vs question time when I started watching (around 2007) are completely different beasts. The Govt never actually answers the questions meaningfully, only uses them as an excuse to highlight the failings of the opposition. It solely exists to generate soundbytes for the day's news outlets

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I suspect that the rise of social media has taken away a lot of the reasons that pollies used to try and score points in Question Time. When the media had fewer channels getting in a good blow in Question Time was a way of getting your message repeated. Nowadays they can just as easily put up a video or Facebook post and get attention that way.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

ferals, hippies, the nimbin set. the True Green stereotype. Don't know if they have any elected reps.

We did until the weekend.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Honestly abolish question time, it’s a bad joke

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Queensland is so poo poo that even their Young Australian of the Year is supporting Boomers

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

I'd prefer that there were more stringent standards on
a) the type of questions being asked
b) the way the question is answered
c) references to other parties in your answer

so that at least the information is useful to people who want a window into the operation of the government

if we didn't have question time, poo poo would be a lot more opaque

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

BBJoey posted:

Just put up a projection of this for the allotted time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDn_1Xa2a_o

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

*question about why there's no wage growth*

"You want to here our policies eh? Ok let me read out every policy we got including stripping citizenship of terrorists"

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Just put up a projection of this for the allotted time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDn_1Xa2a_o

The wobbly hair is the icing

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol this government sometimes

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"do you agree with your own public statement"

"LAYBAA"

"point of order on relevance, do agree with your own public statement"

"LAAAAAYBAAAAAAA"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Actually we refer to them as squalor enthusiasts these days.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Zenithe posted:

"do you agree with your own public statement"

"LAYBAA"

"point of order on relevance, do agree with your own public statement"

"LAAAAAYBAAAAAAA"

Can't believe this is an actual question made during question time.

quote:

Does the minister agree with herself that this Liberal Government is widely seen as, and I quote, "Homophobic, anti-women climate change deniers"

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
This squat little gnome is saying the good things (didn't actually listen to him, just the tweet words)

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1067235823194533889

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Frogfingers posted:

We did until the weekend.

Thorpe? i figured her for a red type, interesting.

JBP posted:

Actually we refer to them as squalor enthusiasts these days.

imagine a bush doof stamping on a human face...forever.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
50% women in the new Andrews cabinet, portfolios haven’t been announced yet, just names.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Thorpe? i figured her for a red type, interesting.

imagine a bush doof stamping on a human face...forever.

Nah, Lydia is on the level as far as I know. People that work for a couple of now-former upper house members are a bit deep into the doof scene though.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hanson's shiity thunkpiece reminds me of a story old mate told me about a woman complaining about some guy wearing a one nation shirt, correctly calling it exclusionary and racist, while the complainant herself was wearing a hijab. The hypocrisy of her position was so self-evident that old mate couldn't explain it to me.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Queensland once again confirming status as worst state:

quote:

The Queensland police refused to bring domestic violence charges against a man who brought a can of petrol into his house, splashed it on his partner and held a lighter at her feet. “That’s the moment I thought I was going to die, that my kids would have no mum,” the victim has told Guardian Australia.

The police told Dani* there was a “prima facie” case against her former partner for threatening violence, but that there was “a low level of public interest” in pursuing charges against him.

The Sunshine Coast woman has now gone to the extraordinary length of hiring a barrister and launching a private prosecution against her former partner, an uncommon and expensive legal process that allows for victims to bring charges to court when police will not.

“I have sold my family home to fund the private prosecution and basically gone into hiding to stay safe,” Dani said. “I wear a personal alarm as I can’t trust the police to keep me safe and applying for another protection order is pointless. We still live in the same community as the perpetrator and will have to relocate for safety prior to this going to court. But he needs to be held accountable for his actions, otherwise the next woman might not escape with her life.”

Dani’s story, like most domestic violence cases, is complex. She says it highlights significant problems when the victim and offender give radically different versions of events.

At Dani’s urging, police conducted a “factual review” of the incident last year. The officer who conducted the review recommended no domestic violence charges against her former partner.

Instead, police said Dani could be charged with assault for hitting her former partner, who she says is a much larger man and was acting in an aggressive manner, before running to safety.

“His behaviour had become increasingly concerning, and I took my children to stay in a hotel for a week,” Dani told Guardian Australia. “The night I came home he turned to stand over me aggressively and verbally assault me a few centimetres from my face and that’s when I knew I was in danger.

“I was scared for my safety. I hit him and ran, put the kitchen bench between us, and froze. I am half his size. The police frame it like it was a fair fight.”

Police went on to conclude that the man might be able to defend his own actions, which included smashing property and bringing the petrol can into the house, by claiming his “erratic” behaviour was “post-concussive”.
“[The man] brings a fuel container into the house and makes some comments about burning the house down,” the review established. “[He] has a lighter. There is some interaction between the two and some petrol is spilt. [He] places the lighter at [Dani’s] feet.”

Dani said in statements to the police that her former partner claimed he would “burn the loving house down”. She says he threw the petrol on to her chest, and that it splashed into her face and hair. “After deliberately hunting for the fuel in the garage, he ran into the house, ripped the top off the fuel container, swung his arm and doused me, before reaching for the lighter,” she said. “He bent down and held it to my feet, looking up into my eyes.”

Dani’s barrister complained to the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission that the police investigation was “heavily reliant on the evidence of the offender ... and almost entirely dismissive of my client’s complaint”.

“[The reasons for not prosecuting] are excuses that the police have made up on behalf of the offender ... which was contrary to the interests of my client who was a person in need of protection after making a complaint to the police in fear of her safety and wellbeing.” In his letter to the CCC, the barrister said police reasons for not prosecuting were “rather specious” and that there was “no medical evidence” to suggest the man was affected by being struck. “[Police claimed] his ‘behaviour became erratic and unpredictable after his blow to the jaw’ despite having the presence of mind to obtain a jerry can of petrol from the garage and a lighter and approach my client with them after throwing petrol at her. “[Police claimed] that his intention is to burn the house down, notwithstanding that my client is present and in the house.”

The private prosecution is scheduled to be heard in the Queensland magistrates court in January.

The police commissioner, Ian Stewart, did not respond to a request to be interviewed about the way the state’s officers deal with domestic violence.

Stewart, a White Ribbon ambassador, has repeatedly refused interview requests about several high-profile cases involving victims of domestic and sexual violence.

Police also did not respond to a request for comment and several questions sent by Guardian Australia.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Hanson's shiity thunkpiece reminds me of a story old mate told me about a woman complaining about some guy wearing a one nation shirt, correctly calling it exclusionary and racist, while the complainant herself was wearing a hijab. The hypocrisy of her position was so self-evident that old mate couldn't explain it to me.

Asking people to explain why something is ridiculous/funny is one of my favourite ways to make them feel like fuckwits

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

fiery_valkyrie posted:

God is mad, and chucked 'em a seven thousand km thunderstorm

https://twitter.com/BOM_Qld/status/1067235406188548096

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Oh gently caress. Just, gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Investors at the Harvey Norman AGM just voted 50.6% against the company remuneration report. Hopefully the board spills next year and he dies of sadness or cancer or literally anything.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Granite Octopus posted:

A guy I used to work with is now a state director for Australian Conservatives. He was the biggest piece of poo poo I have ever met. I hope that bullshit party crumbles to the ground around him.

The head of the young conservatives in NSW is head of a fashgang called "Counter Revolutionaries of the Southern Cross" they are qanon level deep fried.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Investors at the Harvey Norman AGM just voted 50.6% against the company remuneration report. Hopefully the board spills next year and he dies of sadness or cancer or literally anything.

astro labe is secretly on the members board, throws off his hood and hits gerry with the five finger exploding heart technique

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
In incidental comedy for a while news.com.au had the Banks BOMBSHELL headline with pictures of palm trees surrounding Scott Morrison to promote a holiday competition.

All I could imagine is Morrison yelling "have some faith we have to send the reffos to Tahiti"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It keeps happening.

quote:

More than 4,000 cattle being unloaded from live export ship after two failed attempts to sail

More than 4,000 cattle are being unloaded from a ship after it failed to safely sail from the port of Portland, in south-west Victoria, twice in a week.

The Federal Department of Agriculture and Water Resources has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the shipment of livestock on the vessel MV Jawan, operated by MarConsult Schiffahrt GmbH & Co KG, which was bound for Pakistan and Oman.

The ship was prevented from leaving the port on both Thursday November 22 and Saturday November 24 due to "stability issues" and witnesses took video footage and photographs of the ship rocking from side to side.

In a statement to the ABC, an Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) spokesperson said: "Last night after discussions with the MV Jawan's operators and classification society, AMSA has determined that the ship will not be released from detention with cattle on-board given the stability issues had not been resolved.

"AMSA has informed the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources [DAWR] of our decision not to permit this shipment and understands that all cattle have begun to be removed from the vessel this morning after discussions between DAWR and the exporter.

"AMSA will not permit any further loading of livestock on this vessel until the cause of stability issues are confirmed. The vessel is free to depart without livestock onboard."
Unloading began this morning

Port of Portland chief executive officer Greg Tremewen said AMSA had advised his organisation late on Monday that the ship was not permitted to sail out of the port with the cattle on board.

"We simply got advised that the cattle had to be unloaded and the vessel's not cleared to sail until the cattle are removed," he said.

"Subsequent to that, the cattle will have to be unloaded from the vessel under the supervision of the Department of Agriculture … and that process has commenced this morning."

Mr Tremewen said he estimated that the unloading process would take a day or two, and the animals were being put on trucks and transported from the port.

Previously an AMSA spokesperson said it had not detained the vessel after the first attempt due to concerns about the ship's seaworthiness because of the way it was moving.

The spokesperson said 380 of the 4,327 cattle on board were removed in an effort to improve the ship's stability, but when it sailed out again on Saturday there were still issues.

"AMSA is working with the vessel's classification society, technical experts and the vessel operators to determine how the issues can be resolved," they said.

Death of one animal unrelated to stability issues, department says

A DAWR spokesperson said the cattle started being unloaded this morning after a decision from the exporter.

The department previously said one animal had died, but the death was "unrelated to the stability issues experienced by the vessel".

A departmental vet is overseeing the unloading process and has reported no welfare or health issues among the animals, which are being returned to the feedlot.

"It remains the intention of the exporter to export the cattle at a later date," the spokesperson said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...c&sf203070329=1

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Have some God drat faith.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
National Senator O'Sullivan made a gross joke about Hanson Young and Xenophon which he withdrew, Di Natale called him a pig and was suspended after a division. How often is someone suspended?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Not often I wager DiNatale refused to withdraw.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Insults hurt more when they're true.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

I'd prefer that there were more stringent standards on
a) the type of questions being asked
b) the way the question is answered
c) references to other parties in your answer

so that at least the information is useful to people who want a window into the operation of the government

if we didn't have question time, poo poo would be a lot more opaque

Maybe it’s because I’m in the belly of the beast but I honestly don’t know that QT helps with the opaqueness of parliament at all. It’s just an avenue for the verbal delivery of press releases.

In terms of getting more use out of it, you’re basically asking for senate estimates which is where senators can get actual facts and figures out of the Government. The issue being that it’s dry as hell, only happens three times a year and involves significant work and involvement before and after by public servants. Maybe it’s possible to incorporate the estimates “spirit” in question time without having public servants there answering the operational questions but I’m not sure how.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

National Senator O'Sullivan made a gross joke about Hanson Young and Xenophon which he withdrew, Di Natale called him a pig and was suspended after a division. How often is someone suspended?

Wait, so the guy who actually kicked it off didn't get any repercussions?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

quote:

O’SULLIVAN: She didn’t turn up. She didn’t front. She didn’t turn up. It was her inquiry co-sponsored with the Australian Labor Party and she didn’t turn up. There’s a bit of Nick Xenophon in her – and I don’t mean that to be a double reference – but there’s a bit of Xenophon in her, references committees and not attending.

PRESIDENT: Order! Senator O’Sullivan, I’m going to ask you to withdraw the comment.

O’SULLIVAN: I’ll withdraw the comment. There was no intention to offend anyone.

DI NATALE: (can be heard yelling in the background – words include “he’s a disgrace” and “he’s a grub”)

PRESIDENT: Senator Di Natale, I asked the Senator to withdraw. I’m going to ask him to withdraw unconditionally just to make it clear.

O’SULLIVAN: I’m more than happy to withdraw unconditionally because there was no intent.

PRESIDENT: Thank you. Senator Leyonhjelm.

DI NATALE: You grub!

LEYONHJELM: Senator Di Natale and Senator Steele-John have both insulted and used unparliamentary language in relation to Senator O’Sullivan as well. They called him a pig, and other words which I am not going to repeat. I ask you to invite them to withdraw as well.

PRESIDENT: I heard Senator Di Natale. Senator Steele-John if you made an unparliamentary comment I ask you to withdraw it.

STEELE-JOHN: I withdraw

PRESIDENT: Senator Di Natale I ask you to withdraw your comments.

DI NATALE: I will not withdraw.

PRESIDENT: Senator Di Natale I am asking you to withdraw your comments.

DI NATALE: I will not withdraw.

PRESIDENT: I called Senator O’Sullivan to order and asked him to withdraw

(unidentified senator): He is a pig.

PRESIDENT: Senator O’Sullivan has unconditionally withdrawn, that sort of language is not appropriate in the Senate. I ask you to reflect upon that and I ask you to withdraw. To facilitate the operation of this debate and for the comity of the Senate you have the opportunity to address both this debate, and if you wish to address the behaviour of a Senator there are other opportunities to do that. I ask you to withdraw

DI NATALE: Mr President, we have endured on this side days of sexist filth coming from that man. He is a pig and he should consider and he should reflect on the standards he is adopting in this chamber.

PRESIDENT: Resume your seat. We are leaving me with no option Senate Di Natale.

(long pause for advice from Clerk).

PRESIDENT: Senator Di Natale I will give you on least opportunity to reflect upon that and to withdraw your comments. If not I will ask you to stand in your place and either explain your comments or apologise to the Senate and leave it to another senate to take the matter into the hands of the Senate. There are other opportunities to address the behaviour of senators Senator Di Natale.

(another long pause)

PRESIDENT: Well, if the Senate wishes to allow that behaviour to go unremarked, we will move on.

RUSTON: I move that Senator Di Natale be suspended from the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

good on di natale