Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

New Switch owner here, also picked up the Super Mario Party Joycon bundle and wondering what you would recommend for a Joycon charging station?

Also I've heard the battery joycon grip feels more like a real controller than the grip that comes with the Switch, is that true? I might just get that instead of a charging station if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Just chiming in to say that Super Mario Odyssey is the most fun I've had with a game on the switch so far. So happy I ditched Hollow Knight for it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Spellman posted:

I have the new Not-Gamecube Controller from Power A. Haven't used it extensively, but it's a comfortable kinda-GC controller that comes with most of the perks of the Pro-Controller

The FAQs:
+ Click-sticks like the Pro
+ Better D-Pad
- Analog triggers don't work (despite retaining the soft press and click at the end)
- No HD Rumble

Plastic feels different, but it's not offensive or anything. Buttons have a nice click. And you might prefer the layout for some games—feels nice when playing Starlink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BascYExDynw

This video pretty much sums up my feelings on the controller entirely. It's a Pro, in Gamecube Controller husk

Cool, thanks, i'm in for one now. Ordered through Target and got 15% off today. I've got the wired GC adapter / controllers from the Wii U, but a wireless gamecube pad sounds very good to me. My wavebirds are a bit too old to justify continued use for smashing..

https://www.target.com/p/powera-wireless-gamecube-controller-for-nintendo-switch---purple/-/A-53788216

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Humerus posted:

New Switch owner here, also picked up the Super Mario Party Joycon bundle and wondering what you would recommend for a Joycon charging station?

Also I've heard the battery joycon grip feels more like a real controller than the grip that comes with the Switch, is that true? I might just get that instead of a charging station if so.

Do you need 20 hours of charge on both sets at all times? I'd just swap one set for the other to keep each above 50%

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

It's just a bit heavier but the ability to play and charge is great for kids.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Humerus posted:

The switch is a great charging station for joycons. Just rotate out the joycons you have attached every few months when you put it to sleep and you’re golden.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I didn't realize the batteries lasted so long. I've been using the set that came with Mario Party while my wife and I played since Friday and I got the warning one was low last night. Guess they weren't fully charged out of the box.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
No, they don’t last for months, at all. At best a full days worth of playtime.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Joycons are ~20 hours and pro controller is ~40 according to Nintendo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mine never die because I’m always playing in gods chosen way. Handheld :smug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Andrigaar posted:

I also got spooked by the "dock scratches screen" boogeyman. But the screen protector is only a few bucks per application and I'm still on the first one after a year since I play it docked mostly.

It might be a scam, but the screen is a plastic that feels soft so I didn't want to risk it.

My coworker refuses to buy a Switch until they fix the scratching problem. I told him I'd seen mine get some little marks but they rub off easily, so he showed me a photo of someone's switch that looked like it had been scribbled upon with a needle. I don't know how the gently caress you could damage it that badly unless you're just waking up every morning and open palm slamming it into the dock so you can do all the moves right alongside Mario

Edit: speaking of which. Someone posted a recommended low profile portable dock for travel, does anyone remember which one it was?

Heath fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 27, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Heath posted:

Edit: speaking of which. Someone posted a recommended low profile portable dock for travel, does anyone remember which one it was?

Since third party docks have a habit of killing Switches the recommendation is usually to gut your official dock and put the PCB into one of these small replacement shells.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YVC3NJ

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I'm looking into getting the new Kamen Rider game and I found out it's getting an Asian release with English subs so I'd rather do that than get the Japanese version. I have an American and a Japanese Account on my Switch, does anyone know the easiest "Asian" region to make an account in to access that eShop?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I bought a glass screen protector on the recommendation of the game store dude when I bought it and this discussion is the first time I've actually realized the screen isn't actually glass. It seems so natural and the way it's meant to be. I don't actually know what it looks like without the screen protector on.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Volte posted:

I bought a glass screen protector on the recommendation of the game store dude when I bought it and this discussion is the first time I've actually realized the screen isn't actually glass. It seems so natural and the way it's meant to be. I don't actually know what it looks like without the screen protector on.

It has a very nice matte finish that the screen protector destroys.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

It has a very nice matte finish that the screen protector destroys.

No it doesn't :psyduck:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

No it doesn't :psyduck:

It does after you put it in the oven to take the screen protector off.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Can you use the oven to heat bind a game case to the back of the Switch, or should I just use glue?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

It does after you put it in the oven to take the screen protector off.

not if you cook it for just long enough

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LMAO if you don't sous vide your Switch

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If you don't finely dice your Switch as part of a good chicken stock are you really even a vidya gaymer?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

LMAO if you don't sous vide your Switch

Look at this bougie rear end in a top hat.

We are working class people here this isn’t the Xbox thread sir.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
This sale's good. Celeste and Dead Cells have been on my wish list begging for a discount for a while now. It's the only way I could justify buying them with my ridiculous backlog. :v:

How's TowerFall? I like having party games handy.

EDIT:

MarcusSA posted:

When does this sale end?

Last day is November 28th.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 27, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When does this sale end?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Speaking of the sale, A Robot Named Fight just suddenly appeared in the sale at 40% off. It's a Super Metroid/roguelite hybrid and it's pretty cool.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Serious question, what's the original source of the matte finish joke that pops up every so often? I assume it's from some goonpost (similar to putting it in the oven), but I can't find it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dad Jokes posted:

Serious question, what's the original source of the matte finish joke that pops up every so often? I assume it's from some goonpost (similar to putting it in the oven), but I can't find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826496&pagenumber=1804&perpage=20#post480320411 Is the genesis of it, goes on for a couple of pages

edit: fixed

The oven joke was someone making fun of a post I made.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 27, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

repiv posted:

Since third party docks have a habit of killing Switches the recommendation is usually to gut your official dock and put the PCB into one of these small replacement shells.

Holy gently caress I wish they had an atomic purple variant of this.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Metroid when

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Superbrothers Swords & Sworcery EP will be hitting the Switch on Friday for an unspecified price that will almost certainly be higher than the five bucks or so it goes for on other platforms.

Here's a trailer that has next to nothing to do with the game, so it's not really a trailer so much as it is a mood piece. Indie games, eh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwXUEpVB9E

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Volte posted:

Same - I bought the goon approved one (amFilm?) and put it on before I turned the thing on. I’ve used other switches without one and it was like “what’s wrong with the screen?”

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thunder Bear posted:

This sale's good. Celeste and Dead Cells have been on my wish list begging for a discount for a while now. It's the only way I could justify buying them with my ridiculous backlog. :v:

How's TowerFall? I like having party games handy.
Yeah I picked up Wild Guns and TowerFall cause the sale. And Nidhogg 2! (Not on sale but happened to come out last week too)

I haven’t actually played TowerFall on Switch yet, but I’ve played a decent amount at my friend's place on PS4. For the basic battle mode at least it’s a nice simple kill each other game to get into. It’s skill based but there can be enough chaos from everyone shooting around that it’s not too bad for non gamers to get into and get some kills themselves. And it balances out between rounds, like leaders get less arrows to start, last place gets more and a shield. Hoping to try the six player (Switch exclusive) mode sometime.

Speaking of kill each other games, anyone try A Gummy's Life? Looks a bit rough, but potentially weird fun in a Human Fall Flat kinda way. Looking around at videos it seems like a lot of people compare it to Gang Beasts, which I know some people have mentioned wanting on Switch, so that’s something.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Came across this site selling the 8Bitdo SF30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Controller for about $30.
https://www.gearbest.com/game-controllers/pp_1411210.html?wid=1433363

Tempted to get it but it has a really long shipping time for me, between 15-28 days which is putting me off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Superbrothers Swords & Sworcery EP will be hitting the Switch on Friday for an unspecified price that will almost certainly be higher than the five bucks or so it goes for on other platforms.

Here's a trailer that has next to nothing to do with the game, so it's not really a trailer so much as it is a mood piece. Indie games, eh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwXUEpVB9E

Ok, like, I own this game multiple times, and haven't gotten more than 5 minutes into it. Whenever I was playing last, I got distracted or couldn't continue, but since then (the YEARS since then), I haven't ever felt like going back. What's the big deal? From someone who's played it all the way through, is it worth the time? What's the big draw?

EDIT rather than make a second post: Any word on a new direct coming soon? Also, can you watch the directs uhh... directly from your Switch, like you used to be able to do with the Wii's Nintendo Channel?

I'm interested to see what other games they're going to put on the Online service. I want Kirby's Adventure up there; it's a quintessential holiday favourite :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 27, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

repiv posted:

Thanks for the reminder, with Smash coming out soon I finally decided to pull the trigger on this.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Smahs is good and the online ain't bad

Neat

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Humerus posted:

The Switch is a Joycon charging station. :confused:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZenVulgarity posted:

Neat

Is the online up for reviewers?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Yeah in my experience adult gamers on video game forums are some of the least knowledgable people when it comes to the way kids think and act, especially in relation to video games

There's a hundred million open world sandbox games with tons and tons of players, most of whom are kids.

Spellman posted:

You'd be surprised at how gripping open world games are for kids. Minecraft is the most popular example of this, and it's rife with complicated mechanics

When I was younger I remember half of the fun of some games was figuring out what to actually do. Also console games back then were beatable in like 2 hours so the "what the hell do I do now" was often part of just making it last longer. I remember playing Super Mario Bros 2 up to the point where you're supposed to sit on the egg SO many times and just not being able to figure it out and dying over and over and having to restart the whole drat game

Warcraft 2 came out when I was... 8? And it took me forever to actually put together what I was actually doing half the time playing against the easy CPU but I had fun building all the cool buildings and clicking buttons.

But then also there was a very real risk of just going "this is dumb" and turning off the whole game if it was TOO obtuse. A lot of city builders were like that for me.

I wonder if there are kids that play fortnite but want to just build instead of shoot at each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Neat

Ain't bad is subjective

Some of us live in places that are far from everyone else with bad internet and the netcode can make or break a game experience. I can play Splatoon 2 just fine but a lot of fighting games are unplayable