Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In Voyager? I don't think so, though there's a later season episode where someone (maybe Tom) finds an old holodeck program that simulates a Maquis takeover.

It's initially pretty cool but if I remember correctly, it devolves into a "holodeck loving up" story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

In Voyager? I don't think so, though there's a later season episode where someone (maybe Tom) finds an old holodeck program that simulates a Maquis takeover.

It's initially pretty cool but if I remember correctly, it devolves into a "holodeck loving up" story.

Tuvok_Kills_Everyone.EXE

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Don't forget the Holodeck program where he strangled Neelix. Tuvok wrote better Voyager scripts than the actual writers.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

If you literally want to see all of the storytelling potential of Voyager actually used in practice, just watch BSG

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Animal-Mother posted:

Do the Maquis crew ever mutiny and take over the ship? That would make for a good season ending cliffhanger. I bet it never happens.

The Maquis immediately put on starfleet uniforms and they get their own special Maquis rank insignia instead of the regular pips. That's about it. Also, thank you for spelling it "Maquis" and not "Marquis" like some people do for some raisin.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cojawfee posted:

spelling it "Maquis" and not "Marquis" like some people do for some raisin.

Sade if true

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Mockies.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Magk'Qi :gowron:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Morkies

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Hahaha

I'll echo all of the above and throw in TMNT 3. Seeing that in theaters taught me that not only can a movie be bad, but a movie based on an IP I'm absolutely obsessed with can be bad.

Star Trek V.

Became a ST fan in 85/86 or so, when I was about 10. Obsessively watched every ep I could. Read novels, bought blueprints and technical manuals. Thrilled to the premiere of TNG.

Then finally, at long last, I was going to see my first Star Trek Movie In A Theater. It was like a Catholic visiting the Vatican.

But it was Star Trek V.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek V is crumbly but good

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Astroman posted:

Then finally, at long last, I was going to see my first Star Trek Movie In A Theater. It was like a Catholic visiting the Vatican.

But it was Star Trek V.

My first Star Trek movie in a theater as a kid was Generations. We should form a support group.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek V is crumbly but good

At least ST5 was a swing-and-a-miss. Shatner at least gave a poo poo about the movie he was making, even though not everything he did really worked.

I'd take 5 over a soulless here-we-go-again like Insurrection or Nemesis any day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Astroman posted:

But it was Star Trek V.

I love Star Trek V, man

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Astroman posted:

It was like a Catholic visiting the Vatican.

But it was Star Trek V.
"What does God need with a Vatican?"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The Maquis immediately put on starfleet uniforms and they get their own special Maquis rank insignia instead of the regular pips. That's about it. Also, thank you for spelling it "Maquis" and not "Marquis" like some people do for some raisin.

Kes: AND NOW I MUST LEAVE THE SHIP, FOR NO PARTICULAR RAISIN.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

My first Star Trek movie in a theater as a kid was Generations. We should form a support group.

Mine too, and it owned. The crash was incredible and I cried when Kirk died.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Me too, and the novelty of it was enough to get my eighth-grade self through it and I never revisited it until I was older and, uh... yeah.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The evacuation and saucer crash sequence is still great, no matter how disappointing the leadup to it is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My first theatre Trek was undiscovered country so that's my biggest nostalgia and I think I'm lucky as poo poo for it :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I might have seen TUC in theaters, idk. I did see generations in the theater. Crash good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I managed to see TMP twice opening weekend by shamelessly exploiting the parents of a kid I barely knew. The only more mind-blowing cinematic experience I've had since was Star Wars a couple of years before that.

e. Sky Captain was 90% one guy in his apartment rendering scenes on a machine that shouldn't have been able to keep up with his vision. It was cool for the noir air combat thing, and the art direction was impeccable, but boy howdy does it make Honor Harrington look like a well-rounded character.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mllaneza posted:

I managed to see TMP twice opening weekend by shamelessly exploiting the parents of a kid I barely knew. The only more mind-blowing cinematic experience I've had since was Star Wars a couple of years before that.

e. Sky Captain was 90% one guy in his apartment rendering scenes on a machine that shouldn't have been able to keep up with his vision. It was cool for the noir air combat thing, and the art direction was impeccable, but boy howdy does it make Honor Harrington look like a well-rounded character.

Whenever I get too down on Sky Captain I remember Angelina Jolie commanding a flying aircraft carrier. I can't hate that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

The evacuation and saucer crash sequence is still great, no matter how disappointing the leadup to it is.

Shame it sucked up almost all of the effects budget.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Generations is a pretty good first Trek movie to see as a kid. It's got some action, some bad humor kids can appreciate, a decently easily followable plot and things go boom as all hell. Plus Data says a bad word.

I watched TUC with my brother when it came out on VHS and I was lost as all goddamn hell because the political stuff went way past me even though I was already watching TNG because my brother did. I saw Generations in theaters and it was good as hell to 8 year old me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some kind of hideous amalgamation of ST5 and TMP would make for a really good movie.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Kibayasu posted:

Some kind of hideous amalgamation of ST5 and TMP would make for a really good movie.

You could mash up those plots pretty easily and improve both of them. A madman hijacks the Enterprise to talk to God who appears to us as an enormous energy cloud.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Generations is the first movie I remember seeing in the theater. My 4-year old self was already all hyped up that week from getting some of the new figures and then Data swore and I lost my tiny mind.

Data’s “oh poo poo” was also the last scene on side 1 of the Laserdisc, making it extra memorable.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Voyager's second and third episodes are both the same subspace distortion causes time paradox thing and dumb rear end Paris needs it explained to him repeatedly. Then he gets shot by a laser gun that looks like a regular gun because they couldn't be bothered to find some laser gun props.

I think First Contact was my first theater Trek movie experience. It was loving great, tbh. "Assimilate this." gently caress yeah.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And while I'm making bad comparisons First Contact is like Star Trek 5 if Star Trek 5 was all around good in addition to being dumb.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ST5 was better than any of the TNG movies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

All of you "Generations was my first movie memory" people are making me feel old as hell.

MY first movie theater memory was the AT-AT on Hoth that was about to step on Luke. I was starting college when Generations came out.

Also, there are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. :corsair:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the first movie I ever went to and also remember seeing was Wrath of Khan.

there was some crazy horror movie trailer in front of it that scarred my tiny kid brain - I didn’t really retain much of the movie itself until seeing it again a few years later.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Powered Descent posted:

Also, there are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. :corsair:

Okay, there, Hitler.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I saw ST:TMP at a drive-in.

:corsair:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pick posted:

I love Star Trek V, man

Looking at it later and in comparison to some of the later movies yeah, it's not so bad. But imagine being a kid and the last 3 movies were II, III, and IV. Each one was epic and told a cool story and showed new parts of the ST universe. Now for the first time since II they would be back on the Enterprise. Kirk would be in proper command for the first time since Turnabout Intruder.

What amazing adventure would they have? What would the new theme sound like?

Oh wait, is this just the TMP/TNG theme? :what:

A laughing Vulcan? What do you mean Spock suddenly has a half brother? Slapstick comedy? 79 decks--not according to Mister Scott's Guide To The Enterprise, and the bridge is Deck 1!

:(

Not what kid me was expecting. TUC or even Generations would have been a better first movie to see.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As far as Trek movies go, Generations was my first in a theater, and it was a great experience. It absolutely doesn't hold up, but if you were a kid who watched the TV show on an old SD 15" screen, and now it was on a huge screen with neat lighting and the Enterprise got blowed up... It was... Fun. Oh my.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My parents took me to see The Search for Spock at a drive-in when I was three. Giant microbe worms and young Spock’s face deforming terrified me and left me scarred for years.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was born in the '80s, but I don't think I ever saw any of the Star Trek movies in theaters until (gag) Into Darkness.

As an eight year old kid laid up from a surgery, though, I watched the hell out of the first five TOS movies (I didn't get TUC until a little later in the year). Those movies are pure childhood nostalgia for me; even the "bad" ones. I didn't get into TNG and the TNG movies until much later, and except for First Contact, I'm not sure I was missing all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Peachfart posted:

ST5 was better than any of the TNG movies.

Lol what

I will fight to the death over Generations. Especially when compared to loving V. Outside of row your boat that movie had nothing. And it looks cheappppp. I watched it recently cos I liked it when I was young, as if the world was new, but it's... Not great. Generations is at least trying to say something interesting, has good performances overall and has some amazing moments and sequences, as well as the D in wide-screen. It's not even close.

And V, better than First Contact? Holy gently caress