Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the thing is that even if espy won, the seat is up again in 2020, so the outcome really doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is a plus in MS

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

goethe.cx posted:

the thing is that even if espy won, the seat is up again in 2020, so the outcome really doesn't matter

It matters as a moral victory by further reinforcing the fact that the Blue Wave was real and that Trump's declaration of victory despite the loss the house was hollow. It matters because Mississippi is a republican stronghold and a defeat there is a further condemnation of Trumpism and makes it that much more likely when/if the moment comes the party will cut bait on him and his way of doing things, which in turn will be a nasty blow to surging right wing populism/grassroots fascism. It matters because authoritarians need constant perceptions of victory or their cults of personality implode, so every single defeat Trump can be dealt has value no matter how small or transient.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

goethe.cx posted:

It would mean the Republicans did not actually expand their majority at all relative to where they were at before Jones beat Moore. despite picking up four seats. Very lol. Also it would give Collins a bit less cover.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spatula City posted:

It would mean the Republicans did not actually expand their majority at all relative to where they were at before Jones beat Moore. despite picking up four seats. Very lol. Also it would give Collins a bit less cover.

also narrowing the number of people the turtle has to placate is actually still Quite Important

less so than before we took the House, but when Trump nominates Zombie Robert Bork as Attorney General, it matters whether there have to be two or three GOP in opposition

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It will complicate things for Collins, Gardner, and Romney who are going to want to act moderate without being moderate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Every single seat matters. They need to be worried. They need to be afraid. They should never feel safe. They should never know where they should be spending their resources.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sanguinia posted:

It matters because authoritarians need constant perceptions of victory or their cults of personality implode, so every single defeat Trump can be dealt has value no matter how small or transient.

This really can’t be stressed enough

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nachos posted:

This really can’t be stressed enough

Hence his need to "win" at everything, because in his diseased, worm-infested mind, if he's not "winning" he must be losing.

We saw some cracks in the facade after the midterms--they spent so long huffing their own farts and believing that the "red wave" was a thing that when they got obliterated in the House they were genuinely confused.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Queering Wheel posted:

Giving up on Ohio would be stupid. Republicans only won the popular vote here by a few percentage points. There's still a ton of Democrats here who got hosed over by gerrymandering and they shouldn't just be abandoned.

I only moved to Ohio a few years ago, but it feels like Ohio doesn't care for me as a Democrat. (or as a women honestly). Why should I fight for Ohio when I can move?

I like my city, and Columbus is apparently good for tech jobs, but like they are seriously considering giving women and doctors the death penalty for abortions. This is terrifying to me and i dont even have sex that would lead me to getting pregnant!! Then Ohio is gerrymandered until 2021, MAYBE. I have voted every year since coming here but it feels useless. Obviously not everyone can move, but if I as an individual can, why shouldn't I?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I only moved to Ohio a few years ago, but it feels like Ohio doesn't care for me as a Democrat. (or as a women honestly). Why should I fight for Ohio when I can move?

I like my city, and Columbus is apparently good for tech jobs, but like they are seriously considering giving women and doctors the death penalty for abortions. This is terrifying to me and i dont even have sex that would lead me to getting pregnant!! Then Ohio is gerrymandered until 2021, MAYBE. I have voted every year since coming here but it feels useless. Obviously not everyone can move, but if I as an individual can, why shouldn't I?

This illustrates a problem with a lot of areas. All the non-conservative people move away then complain that the area has grown too conservative. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SimonCat posted:

This illustrates a problem with a lot of areas. All the non-conservative people move away then complain that the area has grown too conservative. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This goes a bit beyond "non-conservative people". I think it takes non-trivial courage to remain in a state that has laws and attitudes that actively target you. You shouldn't take it for granted.

Maybe Democrats as a party shouldn't give up on Ohio, but as far as my own and the interests of any potential loved ones go, were I to find myself living there now I would definitely try and move somewhere with better reproductive rights (like neighboring New York, which should have an abortions rights law passed pretty soon now that we have a Democratic trifecta).

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I would argue that for the most part the mid west is winnable. And the losses in Iowa, Ohio and Missouri can be reversed. Missouri and Ohio both by ballot passed mesures protecting union rights. Missouri just put itself to raise minimum wage state wide. Iowans passed laws by ballot imitative about the protection of natural resources. THere is also huge amount of issues there with oilpipelines. These are areas that the left can win. But it will require concentrated efforts that will likely take a decade to see these places. But they can be won, and the tea party can be kicked out. the goal should be to fight for every office, no matter how small, and use ballot initiatives to flip these states. Note this will also require realizing that Clintonitism is dead, and ensuring Clinton in stateparty machinery in these states are properly bullied out of their positions and forced into retirement.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Anyone in here a county chair for the party? I've been asked to take over for an old timer and he's not interested in showing me the ropes. Any information or help available?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BlackHattingMachine posted:

Anyone in here a county chair for the party? I've been asked to take over for an old timer and he's not interested in showing me the ropes. Any information or help available?

First, congratulations. Project Goon Caucus is proceeding nicely.

How big are counties in your state?
I'm in Arizona, so the Maricopa County Chair is a huge deal, representing an area with 4 million people in it.

If you're one of those states that has tiny counties, I'm the vice chair for a legislative district, with about 200,000 people in it.

I'd reach out to the chairs of other nearby counties, and start going to their meetings to learn more about how they run things.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
My county is 14k. Our central committee has about 15 members. Extremely rural in Steve King country.

I haven't decided to take it yet, I'm trying to get an idea of the time commitment since I'm working anywhere from 50 to 70 a week and don't want to half rear end it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BlackHattingMachine posted:

My county is 14k. Our central committee has about 15 members. Extremely rural in Steve King country.

I haven't decided to take it yet, I'm trying to get an idea of the time commitment since I'm working anywhere from 50 to 70 a week and don't want to half rear end it.

Do it.
If you need help, delegate. This is an opportunity to find out if you have leadership potential; worst case, you don't.

I think we need to make a thread for extremely local politics. There's a lot we could share about the small stuff.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do it.
If you need help, delegate. This is an opportunity to find out if you have leadership potential; worst case, you don't.

I think we need to make a thread for extremely local politics. There's a lot we could share about the small stuff.

Honestly this thread doesn't move very fast when there's not a major election happening, and I'd say hyperlocal politics are just as relevant here as senate and state leg stuff. If you've got any references or resources that would be useful to people getting their boots on the ground, I can add them to the OP, too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Quorum posted:

Honestly this thread doesn't move very fast when there's not a major election happening, and I'd say hyperlocal politics are just as relevant here as senate and state leg stuff. If you've got any references or resources that would be useful to people getting their boots on the ground, I can add them to the OP, too.

That's true.
I think it's better to have a conversation that sometimes gets drowned out by bigger news than have a super small conversation that drowns itself from inactivity.

This is specific for Arizona, and some of the logic will have to be reversed when legislative districts are bigger than counties, but it should provide a general guide for the roles:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Quorum posted:

I did an effort posts in the last thread iteration about getting on the ballot for local elections in Indiana but I can’t seem to track it down. Was it archived?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spiffster posted:

I did an effort posts in the last thread iteration about getting on the ballot for local elections in Indiana but I can’t seem to track it down. Was it archived?

It was repurposed for the Midterm election live posting so unfortunately it's now a very long thread.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's true.
I think it's better to have a conversation that sometimes gets drowned out by bigger news than have a super small conversation that drowns itself from inactivity.

This is specific for Arizona, and some of the logic will have to be reversed when legislative districts are bigger than counties, but it should provide a general guide for the roles:

I'm seeing a lot of how to raise money, register voters, turn out the vote in these postings but not a lot of how to get people to want to support Democrats in the first place. All the fundraising seems to be purposing the money towards... more fundraising. Where's the outreach? Where's the community building? Where's the proof that supporting Democrats actually nets you something tangible? In Chicago you contacted your precinct committeeperson if say, you had issues with snow removal or low hanging power lines that the city was ignoring. Is that stuff illegal now or what? I mean at least host a local Dem meet and greet for Christ's sake, people don't even know there's other Dems in their neighborhoods anymore.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The above roles are what the board does.

The whole point is to support the PCs and ensure that they're being recruited and organized.

Edit:

To clarify, the roles listed are pretty much the minimum: Hold meetings, raise money to pay for the venue that the meetings are held at, record minutes for the meetings, account for the money, etc.

If a board gets all of that done, they're not necessarily doing a good job, but they're not doing a bad job.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 26, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I went to such a meet and greet a while back posted by the county Dems. I was the only one to do so, even the person who created the event flaked. Maybe this is a sign that I would meet little opposition if I decided to take over and rule with an iron fist. It's tempting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Javid posted:

I went to such a meet and greet a while back posted by the county Dems. I was the only one to do so, even the person who created the event flaked. Maybe this is a sign that I would meet little opposition if I decided to take over and rule with an iron fist. It's tempting.

Probably. If you show up to meetings consistently for long enough, you'll have to work to avoid falling up the ladder.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is there a Union thread on the forums? It's not necessarily political but it's not not political. My case is wholly non-US so ultimately unrelated nonetheless.

More on topic, I just want to say reading this thread is a real pick me up. It's cool to see people so involved and full of pragmatic hope. Keep up the good work!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is there a Union thread on the forums? It's not necessarily political but it's not not political. My case is wholly non-US so ultimately unrelated nonetheless.

More on topic, I just want to say reading this thread is a real pick me up. It's cool to see people so involved and full of pragmatic hope. Keep up the good work!

There is not but if you wanted to make a thread about it I'd certainly read it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lightning Knight posted:

Yet another vote for a union thread. There's a post I made in the grad student thread which would be a better fit there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yet another vote for a union thread. There's a post I made in the grad student thread which would be a better fit there.

Thirded.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fourth'd. I'm not yet a union member but I do work through a union local (IATSE #7, for those curious) and would be interested in more discussion on the topic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1067190642625761281

At least Trump says the part about the GOP being a whites only party out loud. No ambiguity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If this really flipped then Dems have gained 40 in the House in these elections.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1067242618227224577

Edit: Also this:

https://twitter.com/LATSeema/status/1067249251917463552

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 27, 2018

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If this really flipped then Dems have gained 40 in the House in these elections.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1067242618227224577

Edit: Also this:

https://twitter.com/LATSeema/status/1067249251917463552

Alex Villanueva...why does that name sound familiar? Is he good?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll have a look for that.

Lightning Knight posted:

Well it's more a matter of finding out more about unions/joining up so there's not much I could say since I don't know much. Plus my matter is related to France where I work as a teacher and it's a whole other situation. I think the French Pol thread is still around so I'll check there.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Alex Villanueva...why does that name sound familiar? Is he good?

he ran on expelling immigration agents from county jails and beat the incumbent, jim mcdonnell, who :qq:-ed about sanctuary city/state policies, so there's at least some good that came out of this race

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

he ran on expelling immigration agents from county jails and beat the incumbent, jim mcdonnell, who :qq:-ed about sanctuary city/state policies, so there's at least some good that came out of this race

Good. ICE can go gently caress itself with a razor-bladed dildo.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

E: wrong thread.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
MS sen will probably be an unsatisfying moral victory at this point, the racism woman is going to win but by a much smaller margin than a R in Mississippi normally would.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

eke out posted:

nah not without some kind of aggravating element, like involving a minor or forcing someone into prostitution

Separating that it shouldn't be a crime in the first place, how is prostitution not a sex crime, it's literally a crime involving sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Fourth'd. I'm not yet a union member but I do work through a union local (IATSE #7, for those curious) and would be interested in more discussion on the topic.

What up Denver? IATSE 22 in DC repping. :)

A union thread would be a delight. Those chats get broad.