Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Oh boo hoo hoo a lot of people in here who think their hurt feelings are worthy of lifelong grudges if they couch it in nu-turd terms.

What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

Oh boo hoo hoo a lot of people in here who think their hurt feelings are worthy of lifelong grudges if they couch it in nu-turd terms.

who uses "nu" as a derisive prefix that isn't some lovely 4channer

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Queen Combat posted:

What does this mean?

What qualifies as "bad friendships" in movies is poo poo so pissweak it makes me think that no one on storyboarding has ever had a customer-facing job.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

What qualifies as "bad friendships" in movies is poo poo so pissweak it makes me think that no one on storyboarding has ever had a customer-facing job.

the only movies I've heard of that were written by the storyboarders were the first spongebob movie and the regular show tv movie. probably a few others here or there too.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Macaluso posted:

Are you okay Pick

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Macaluso posted:

Regarding it being a giant commercial or whatever: I am someone that DOES NOT CARE about product placement in movies. At all. Products exist in every direction I look in real life at all waking hours of the day, seeing a real life product in a movie doesn't even cross my mind. Knowsmore and Buzzztube took me out of the movie way more than if they had literally just been a part of Google and Youtube. Which both of those are also in the movie just as separate things. I would've preferred the Knowsmore guy just simply being Google Image Search. Keep the guy so Alan Tudyk continues to get his cameos :v: But it's hard to find an issue with having Google and Amazon and Youtube and Twitter show up while they're in the internet when actual real arcade cabinets that exist in real life are in the movie at the same time. I think it's weird to have an issue with the former but not the latter. Also Sonic the Hedgehog is very knowledgeable about the internet and I find that very funny.

I'm with you on Buzzz/Youtube, but I like the direction they took with "Knowsmore." I like that it was a small time search feature. It was a decent introduction to the Internet, and if it was big time Google with giant infrastructure and long lines it would have been too much too quickly. A nice quaint start to keep things grounded. It also parallels the giant Google monolith used in the ending, which I really liked.

But yeah, I loved when I saw actual app/websites/things.

Other than that, everything else you said was spot on. Especially the criticism about the virus. Once it started yelling "INSECURITY DETECTED" it ripped me out of the movie. Also it was kind of abandoned as a device? Where did it go? Is it not still running around the internet? Other than that, I was a huge fan of the movie. My expectations were less than zero going into it, so that might have helped.

Also, I'm surprised more people aren't freaking out about Gord. He was my favorite part and I was dying from laughter anytime he did his thing.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Militree posted:

Also, I'm surprised more people aren't freaking out about Gord. He was my favorite part and I was dying from laughter anytime he did his thing.

Oh yeah I was completely caught off guard the first time he does his gimmick and I was dying

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Minions was actually really cute. :shrug:

I'd put it in a similar category to something like Penguins of Madagascar; it wasn't anything super emotionally resonant or deep, but it made me laugh my rear end off and had a lot of nice animation. It absolutely was not the Emoji Movie or anything like it, and it's actually why I'm completely not shocked Illumination got the Nintendo job (because it shows how their style would dovetail with that really well).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah I was completely caught off guard the first time he does his gimmick and I was dying

Gord was basically this movies Olaf

And I wish Olaf was more like Gord

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I fell asleep in DM2 (it was that boring), how was it racist?

The villain is Hispanic, stereotypically so, while all heroes are white, down to having super-british people added to the cast. The main character does not trust him initially with no evidence whatsoever because he is different and also feels he must protect his daughter from said Hispanic guy's swarthy son. The hispanic guy then becoming a villain means our protagonist was right to immediately assume the new foreigner trying to steal his daughter is evil, to trust all british people implicitly to know best, and in addition to the fact the foreigners big plan is turn the minions into savages without civilization.

The film never outright says anything as hamfisted about race as it does about its hosed up views on family, but it earns no benefit of the doubt whatsoever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Barudak posted:

The villain is Hispanic, stereotypically so, while all heroes are white, down to having super-british people added to the cast. The main character does not trust him initially with no evidence whatsoever because he is different and also feels he must protect his daughter from said Hispanic guy's swarthy son. The hispanic guy then becoming a villain means our protagonist was right to immediately assume the new foreigner trying to steal his daughter is evil, to trust all british people implicitly to know best, and in addition to the fact the foreigners big plan is turn the minions into savages without civilization.

The film never outright says anything as hamfisted about race as it does about its hosed up views on family, but it earns no benefit of the doubt whatsoever.

So Angry Birds but with Minions. Got it. Glad I fell asleep.

Minions will live on forever because of middle aged women on Facebook, honestly

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stephen Hillenburg died today. Work is going to be weird.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He was number one!

...Seriously, though, what an awful way to go. :(

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

He was number one!

...Seriously, though, what an awful way to go. :(

ALS, jeez. He really was one of the greats.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I didn't know until today he was also behind Rocko's Modern Life, though in hindsight comparing the two shows that really should've been obvious.

But jesus christ, ALS of all things.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never got to know him, but Mary Harrington stopped by at lunch to chat (I seem to be very good at acting like I don't know who people are!) and talked about him a bit. She said he was shy and mild and she had to really push him to pitch a show back when he was working on Rocko. She seemed to think very highly of him, and I can't say I've ever heard a bad word about the guy.

Also ALS is my number one death fear.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
drat, Rocko was one of my favorite shows. :(

More Ralph discussion: I wish we had more Felix and Calhoun. And Shank's crew were very well designed, I wanted to see more of them.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

The whole movie is coming from an angle of Ralph being so incredibly comfortable with his life and his friendship that he wants it to remain the same forever, refusing to accept another person's (even Vanellope's) wishes when it comes to his plans that include others.

I haven't seen it yet (it doesn't get released till boxing day in Australia :argh:), but is Vanellope still taking the role of Ralph's child thematically? WR's message was more or less "your job sucks and hurts your sense of self-worth but rather than getting false validation from escapist videogames you can feel validated by your work allowing for/funding your child's happiness". Him wanting things to stay the same forever makes it sound like it is about having to learn to let your kid grow up and your relationship change. Or maybe it just sucks.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I never really read his relationship in the first film with Vanellope as a parent/child, and it certainly doesn’t come off that way in the second.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

I didn't know until today he was also behind Rocko's Modern Life, though in hindsight comparing the two shows that really should've been obvious.

But jesus christ, ALS of all things.

Kal-L posted:

drat, Rocko was one of my favorite shows. :(

Hillenburg didn't create Rocko (that was Joe Murray), but he was a prominent writer/director/storyboard artist on it

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 28, 2018

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Das Boo posted:

Stephen Hillenburg died today. Work is going to be weird.
I'm pretty bummed since the show was a big part of my childhood, I do remember this scene in the first movie completely destroying me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUW-QkPnVUk

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pixar has announced a new movie apparently

"Skyler Shuler posted:

After the long awaited Toy Story 4, Disney/Pixar will be returning to create an all new and original film called 'Onward' which is described as a “suburban fantasy adventure”.

We have learned that the film is currently in production and will be released on June 19, 2020. It is currently casting actors for the lead roles as brothers, among other unknown characters at this time.

Written and directed by Monsters University’s Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae (Up, Incredibles, Monsters Inc.) the film will revolve around two young elf boys whose father passed when they were young and embark on a quest to learn more about him.

The story takes place in a modern fantasy world where there once was magic, but overtime it has lost its sense of meaning, wonder and excitement, a topic unlike many of Disney’s genres where magic is consistently used.
Pixar has explored with fantasy and magic and family relationships in 2012’s Bravebut with a twist of our modern world in this upcoming film, It will be another unique addition to the bunch of Pixar’s beloved movies.

also lol at TS4 being "long awaited"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This puff piece for Onward makes the film sound real bad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

This puff piece for Onward makes the film sound real bad

It doesn't matter, they'll cancel it anyway. The blurb and single teaser poster they put out will just be to deflate the accurate accusation that they only re-tread sequels now. By 2022, we'll all be safely looking forward to Monster Babies, Inc. and A Bug's Life 2.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

A Bug's Life 2.

Finally

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pick posted:

It doesn't matter, they'll cancel it anyway. The blurb and single teaser poster they put out will just be to deflate the accurate accusation that they only re-tread sequels now. By 2022, we'll all be safely looking forward to Monster Babies, Inc. and A Bug's Life 2.

Finding A Monster's Life Story (feat. the cast of Cars)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Monsters vs. Star Wars Aliens

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

what Kurosawa film will Bugs Life 2 lift from?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Soup du Jour posted:

It'll be Yojimbo. Flick will have the ants fight against the termites and watch ontop of leaf as they all fall.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

For the record I would unironically love a Bug's Life sequel because I like that movie a lot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Ran

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Macaluso posted:

For the record I would unironically love a Bug's Life sequel because I like that movie a lot

I like it too

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Soup du Jour posted:

In a twist, it’ll actually be inspired by Tite Kubo’s works.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Regalingualius posted:

In a twist, it’ll actually be inspired by Tite Kubo’s works.

the American adaptation of Zombie Powder we never knew anyone wanted

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse review embargo is up and it's looking pretty damned good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVFJFL2lIA

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pixar's Bright.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Pick posted:

A Bug's Life 2.

DO IT.

I DARE YOU TO BRING BACK Christopher Plummer YOU COWARDS.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah I've seen nothing but really, really effusive praise for Into the Spider Verse. Like "Best comic book movie of the year" and "Revolution and game-changer in animation and comic book movies" level praise. Gonna try to go out of my way and catch it in theatres, at least if my mall movie theatre's one stupidly big screen is showing it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
counterpoint: reviewers are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Yeah I've seen nothing but really, really effusive praise for Into the Spider Verse. Like "Best comic book movie of the year" and "Revolution and game-changer in animation and comic book movies" level praise. Gonna try to go out of my way and catch it in theatres, at least if my mall movie theatre's one stupidly big screen is showing it.

Yeah, if anyone's not bullshitting on the praise, it's Andre (Black Nerd). He will poo poo talk a movie HARD if he doesn't like it...like the time he went to see Smurfs early and it sucked or the time he got to see Michael Bay's Turtles and near cried over how lovely it was. I've been following him for years and he's really the only reviewer of media I trust anymore to not play up poo poo for sponsor's sake.