Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

A couple of pages back was the x is closer to y than now posts and now LGR just did a HL1 turns 20 video. :yotj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FEtOTFJCXA

I guess I must be approaching my Half Life :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
In the early/mid 90s my family had an Apple II and dot matrix printer. The only game I can remember playing back then is Glypha (Joust clone) and a bunch of weird visual-Zork-like hypercard games. Running into enemies in those games spooked me real bad as a kid. I can't find youtube videos of them, and it was long enough ago that I don't remember their names. One of them involved you being in a zoo I think? They were like those tile-by-tile turn based first person RPGS.

Around 1996-2000, the family computer was a Mac Performa. One of the CDs we had was a library of OLD mac shareware, somewhere between 500-1000 games. One that I fondly remember is Shadow Keep. It was my first roguelike game, long before I knew what that even was. It reminds me a lot of Elder Scrolls games, because you can attack passive/friendly NPCs and guards will come to gently caress your poo poo up. There's no set order of area/quest completion. Right off the bat, you can just wander around the continent, finding new areas/biomes and dungeon entrances. Exploring new areas and finding that you're way "out of depth" was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEA67hW2-Y8

The other game I have vivid memories of playing on that Performa is Gahan Wilson's Ultimate Haunted House:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mWuZGFC4JA

I remember getting really uneasy playing it alone in the evening. It's a click and point puzzle game. You have to go through this haunted mansion full of classic movie monsters and more, to collect 13 keys before the timer hits 13 o' clock. It had spooky ambient music a lot of the time. Besides monsters that were part of the set/decor for each room, you could always run into a random encounter that would poo poo your pants in the middle of trying to solve a puzzle. Sometimes your interactions could make things worse, like feeding the carnivorous fish in the animal room too much. It would burst out of its aquarium and join the pool of random-encounter monsters. Scared me shitless back then.

I think the haunted house one still holds up. It's a little slow to navigate, but pleasantly weird and spooky in a way that would only scare a kid.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Holy hell, finally someone else who remembers Haunted House! I still have my copy. The game had surprisingly good puzzles and such for a multimedia kids game of its day. I also remember spending a lot of time with the Spooky Piano and other "minigames". It's still real fun in that horror for kids kind way, heck, someone should do a gbs let's play come next Halloween :spooky:

edit: also it still scared me a few times as a grown rear end adult, poo poo gets crazy after a certain point

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z4FVl4lxYM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fascinating article about computing behind the wall: Video Games In East Germany: The Stasi Played Along

The game at the top of the page is actually playable, too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My friend's family had a Robotron back in the day, right before the wall came down. That thing sucked rear end very badly. I have much fonder memories of the C64/Amiga/PC years that followed right after that.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Rambus RDRAM have a short burst in PC popularity around the late 90s/early 00s until DDR RAM came out?

I worked at an electronics recycler circa 2008 and when we tore down systems for parts, RDRAM and DRDRAM sold for excellent prices on ebay. The terminator/dummy chips were worth posting for auction as well. Did that have use as parts/replacement for enterprise rack unit poo poo, or was it just dwindling supply for old (in 2008) home computers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably mostly for mission critical hardware that can't be migrated to a new machine for whatever reason and a few people who really just wanted rambus. I worked in a computer store from 2007-2009 and had never seen rambus before then but encountered it a few times. One person even brought in some server with two pentium 3s, SCSI, and ECC RAM. People hold on to everything. That was a weird crossroads between weird old hardware and new standardized hardware, as well as the switch from 32 to 64 bit. There was some guy who refused to get Vista and wanted XP 64 no matter what despite there being gently caress all for drivers for it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Probably mostly for mission critical hardware that can't be migrated to a new machine for whatever reason and a few people who really just wanted rambus. I worked in a computer store from 2007-2009 and had never seen rambus before then but encountered it a few times. One person even brought in some server with two pentium 3s, SCSI, and ECC RAM. People hold on to everything. That was a weird crossroads between weird old hardware and new standardized hardware, as well as the switch from 32 to 64 bit. There was some guy who refused to get Vista and wanted XP 64 no matter what despite there being gently caress all for drivers for it.

I ran Windows XP Professional 64 on my main desktop for several years, and never had a driver problem. Ran video cards, wireless cards, everything was just fine. I think I did have to do a little detective work on a wireless dongle or something like that, but still got it working. I've always found it weird that the OS is usually referred to as having driver problems when I saw so few of them when I ran it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Wasn't XP 64 just the 64-bit version of Server 2003, but repackaged for home users?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I had a PC with RDRAM and Win2k. Played the hell out of Everquest on that machine and I changed zones faster than almost anyone. Thanks RDRAM!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Sweevo posted:

Wasn't XP 64 just the 64-bit version of Server 2003, but repackaged for home users?
XP x64 edition is Windows NT 5.2, the same OS as Server 2003.

XP 64-bit edition is Windows NT 5.1, same version as regular 32 bit XP.

But the only reason you would run 64-bit edition instead of x64 is if you hosed up in life badly somehow.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I thought it was yours and I was jealous, but it's from some guy on PC world back in 2012
https://www.pcworld.com/article/260143/one_week_with_the_commodore_64.html

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fo3 posted:

I thought it was yours and I was jealous, but it's from some guy on PC world back in 2012
https://www.pcworld.com/article/260143/one_week_with_the_commodore_64.html

Oh no. No way in hell we could have afforded a computer in the 80s.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I could never afford the disk drive or especially a monitor but me and my brother saved up pocket money for 2 years to buy a s/h c64 in 1986 or 87.
But anyway, I wasn't talking about the 80s, but if that was yours recently.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fo3 posted:

I could never afford the disk drive or especially a monitor but me and my brother saved up pocket money for 2 years to buy a s/h c64 in 1986 or 87.
But anyway, I wasn't talking about the 80s, but if that was yours recently.

Nah. We never had one, so I don't have nostalgia for it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This picture made me smile

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Goddamn the Teradrive is insanely loving cool, both aesthetically and functionality-wise

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I need to set mine up again. :allears:

Those monitors are fantastic by the way, and can do s-video via chroma/luma to s-video adapter. Great for retrogaming.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Seriously pro click. I wish his Teradrive powered on, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Laslow posted:

XP x64 edition is Windows NT 5.2, the same OS as Server 2003.

XP 64-bit edition is Windows NT 5.1, same version as regular 32 bit XP.

But the only reason you would run 64-bit edition instead of x64 is if you hosed up in life badly somehow.

Just to clarify, since I had to look this up: "64-bit" is the Itanium edition. Running that today would be kind of neat; the Itanium is a rare and curious beast. Running it as your main OS back in the XP days would probably indicate that you took a wrong mental turn somewhere, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I ran to XP 64 because I was an idiot 20something that though more bits means more gooder.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

I ran to XP 64 because I was an idiot 20something that though more bits means more gooder.

Hell yeah same. And I could never get CoH to run right.

Had a 3.4ghz engineering sample P4 CPU that I bought off of [H]ardForum, as well. That was a room heater.

The horrors of finding and running SSE2 AND 64-bit compatible software and drivers :stonk:

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Just to clarify, since I had to look this up: "64-bit" is the Itanium edition. Running that today would be kind of neat; the Itanium is a rare and curious beast. Running it as your main OS back in the XP days would probably indicate that you took a wrong mental turn somewhere, though.
If you were running 64 bit when it was current, it would have sucked because IA32EL was awful. It was able to run x86 in hardware, but it was so bad that Windows actually circumvented the x86 hardware to run on the IA32EL software instead.

They weren’t rare so much as they were slow and overpriced and therefore didn’t sell much. The only reason you would buy them is if you were incompetent or owed your HP sales rep a huge favor.

Running it today would be lame because you’re stuck with mostly IA64 MS OEM programs, which isn’t interesting, or running regular Win32 programs worse than on a Cyrix Winchip. But the case badge is kinda neat I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The pro move was running Windows NT for Alpha

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only compute in an air that smells richly of thick leather-bound books

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The pro move was running Windows NT for Alpha
PowerPC or bust, pal.

For when you drank Apple's Kool-Aid about PPC performance, but couldn't bring yourself to run MacOS 8.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, pre-X macOS was garbage.

E: holy poo poo, I found it, the most 90’s tech article https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/windows-nt-powerpc-no-more

Beve Stuscemi has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Dec 1, 2018

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: holy poo poo, I found it, the most 90’s tech article https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/windows-nt-powerpc-no-more

This reminds me, I was an avid reader of Montgomery Gabrys' Apple Doomsday Clock way back when:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040207211552/http://www.netherworld.com:80/~mgabrys/clock/back.html

Lots of great "Apple is Dooooooomed" from their worst days in the late 90s

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Dec 1, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laslow posted:

PowerPC or bust, pal.

For when you drank Apple's Kool-Aid about PPC performance, but couldn't bring yourself to run MacOS 8.

Oh god that was a poo poo show. I reverted to 7 as it was so, so, so much faster. 9 was a lot better given the low bar and was an ok upgrade from 7. They couldn't have jumped to OSX and x86 fast enough. Early on I drank the PPC Kool-Aid, but whatever lead it had if it existed was falling away quick and the writing was on the wall. x86 was going to win and everyone was going to take a leap to windows.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I worked with a guy who preached the megahertz myth right up until the death of the last G5, and he was also very sure that thunderbolt would be the dominant form factor over USB3. He believed it to the point we had a wager going with money on it.

He got fired before the time was up on the wager.

He was pretty great.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
x86 won't save Apple when everyone else has moved on the the processor of the FUTURE!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sort of surprised the actual is that high

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m sort of surprised the actual is that high

HP sold it to their big iron customers as a replacement for VAX platform that was carried over from their Digital Equipment Corporation acquisition. The volume was extremely low but mainframe prices are insane.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

HP sold it to their big iron customers as a replacement for VAX platform that was carried over from their Digital Equipment Corporation acquisition. The volume was extremely low but mainframe prices are insane.

None were mainframes by strict definition, but yeah Itanium was the follow-up VMS architecture, taking the place of Alpha which took the place of the VAX.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pre-X or classic macOS was garbage technically but actually owned. I loved using it, especially over DOS or those Apple ][s at school. Under the hood it’s literally those stick things from Blair Witch but was fundamentally different in ways that made it worth it.

Plus we got that weird phase with x86 daughterboards that just straight loving ran DOS and you could swap between them anytime.

It might be easy to write it off as form-over-function but the alternatives were skewed equally far the other way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

Pre-X or classic macOS was garbage technically but actually owned. I loved using it, especially over DOS or those Apple ][s at school. Under the hood it’s literally those stick things from Blair Witch but was fundamentally different in ways that made it worth it.

Plus we got that weird phase with x86 daughterboards that just straight loving ran DOS and you could swap between them anytime.

It might be easy to write it off as form-over-function but the alternatives were skewed equally far the other way.

I'm running OS 9 on a first gen iMac and it's a matter of constant frustration. The loving cooperative multitasking alone means a single misbehaving program can very well require a reboot. I got it to play old games (installed Myst already) and mess around with old software, but like half the time I'll download something and transfer it via FTP (since SFTP is a nonstarter as far as I can tell) and then the OS just has no clue how to open the file.

It's also really hard to specify to a search engine that I want software for OS 9, not OS X.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Oh MacOS 9 sucks for sure. Don’t forget that until Windows XP, the consumer Windows line was a shitfest of legacy 16-bit underpinnings too.

Edit: Apple just failed to release their Windows 95 equivalent stopgap multiple times, letting Microsoft sit on NT even though NT 4 was nearly consumer-ready.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Won't deny I was looking at the NetBSD page for macppc today...