Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheLoneStar posted:

I really hope we get to see a flashback of some sort of Roger actually doing some fighting. I have trouble imagining someone without a Devil Fruit being so powerful that isn't a member of the Straw Hats, we don't really get to see it too often. Or when we do, it's only for a brief moment like Shanks and his clash with Whitebeard or blocking Akainu's attack. Even with Mihawk, he was still shooting giant sword lasers all over the place.

I'd rather see garp fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it turns out that roger was really good at escaping and running, and not fighting

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Ah yes the Toriko plot line

I kid you not if the last year of OP is any way similar to the sheer escalation of endgame Toriko I will cream my pants for that entire year straight.

(Zack and Wiki is a puzzle game where this dude gets resurrected:
)

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Imu is actually Roger who faked his death to bring about the age of pirates so the world would want a government.

Rayleigh carries on his will by training notorious criminals, hoping one day the government will DO SOMETHING

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Continued blind reading, starting at chapter 114: "Route"

I like Vivi, more now that she's not a bad guy. Oh, speaking of bad guys, miss All Sunday. She can float stuff I guess?? Luffy continues to be the greatest ever - I'd react to the lines of his I like best, but honestly I'd be reacting to every single line.

Also dang, in the little side adventures at the start of each chapter, Coby and Helmeppo are gettin' ripped. Oh gently caress a bigass goddamn dolphin. KICK THE poo poo OUT OF IT SANJ- oh, or just run away. Oh boy, next island! I love that the gang just gets into as much stupid trouble as possible, they're just all so fun. DINOSAUR ISLAND YESSSSS. Oh and giant island too, I guess.

Holy poo poo these giants are great. They're all so jolly, they're like big Luffies!

Holiday Island, Baroque Works' lair? I agree with Mr 3, earl grey is the best black tea. HIS HAIR IS A GIANT NUMBER THREE. I like miss Goldenweek's design too. All the characters in One Piece are so memorable, but there are so many. It must be easy to forget them, but then so fun to reread and rember them all. Oh no the rum exploded, I bet it was Miss All Sunday, that bitch. Oh well, now I get to see Luffy fight a giant :toot:

Hey, Mr 5 is back, and the weight girl, Miss Valentine I think her name was? I'm only just now realizing that Mr 5 has 5s all over his coat. Oh no, Dorry's hurt from fighting Luffy, I hope he'll be okay :ohdear:

Nooooo :rip: Dorry. Although, Mr 3's ability is kinda cool... But it's kinda weird, too...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I kid you not if the last year of OP is any way similar to the sheer escalation of endgame Toriko I will cream my pants for that entire year straight.

(Zack and Wiki is a puzzle game where this dude gets resurrected:
)

That sounds an awful lot like the ending of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, where the real villains turns out to be a legendary pirate that may have basically died and kept going to become some kind of god of piracy. Then again, that's also a thing in Paper Mario where the mighty pirate ghost-lich is a giant mouse skull. Ghost pirates and pirate ghosts are rad.

In any case, I'm picturing a Luffy version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aZGbGxmic&t=28s

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds an awful lot like the ending of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, where the real villains turns out to be a legendary pirate that may have basically died and kept going to become some kind of god of piracy. Then again, that's also a thing in Paper Mario where the mighty pirate ghost-lich is a giant mouse skull. Ghost pirates and pirate ghosts are rad.

In any case, I'm picturing a Luffy version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aZGbGxmic&t=28s

In Ratchet and Clank 3 there's a minigame where you fight ghost pirate robots. It's pretty sweet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I got that exact reaction but it wasnt when Shiliew turned visible... it was when it LOOKED LIKE Catarina Devon was smacking her face to change her appearance. I was about to flip out.
Oh god I know! That was one tense loving page transition.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Luffy's already at war with the World Government. Sure he'll go to war over some food for a dog or because some dude has different opinions on the tastyness of some pie. But is he going to care about some poo poo from 800 years ago? Nah, he needs something that happened today. And the world government does poo poo deserving of a good punch every few minutes.

Plus it looks like they're going after Vivi, and he sure doesn't need any more reason than that.

we've already seen that luffy can be moved by stories from the past in this arc. all the onepiece info has to do is motivate him from his passive resistance to a more active one

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the viz chapter makes it seem like moria is going to the same place absalom is (and that hogback is probably sleeping too)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so is van auger getting van der deckens fruit

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CodfishCartographer posted:

I like Vivi, more now that she's not a bad guy. Oh, speaking of bad guys, miss All Sunday. She can float stuff I guess?? Luffy continues to be the greatest ever - I'd react to the lines of his I like best, but honestly I'd be reacting to every single line.

Also dang, in the little side adventures at the start of each chapter, Coby and Helmeppo are gettin' ripped. Oh gently caress a bigass goddamn dolphin. KICK THE poo poo OUT OF IT SANJ- oh, or just run away. Oh boy, next island! I love that the gang just gets into as much stupid trouble as possible, they're just all so fun. DINOSAUR ISLAND YESSSSS. Oh and giant island too, I guess.

Holy poo poo these giants are great. They're all so jolly, they're like big Luffies!

Holiday Island, Baroque Works' lair? I agree with Mr 3, earl grey is the best black tea. HIS HAIR IS A GIANT NUMBER THREE. I like miss Goldenweek's design too. All the characters in One Piece are so memorable, but there are so many. It must be easy to forget them, but then so fun to reread and rember them all. Oh no the rum exploded, I bet it was Miss All Sunday, that bitch. Oh well, now I get to see Luffy fight a giant :toot:

Hey, Mr 5 is back, and the weight girl, Miss Valentine I think her name was? I'm only just now realizing that Mr 5 has 5s all over his coat. Oh no, Dorry's hurt from fighting Luffy, I hope he'll be okay :ohdear:

Nooooo :rip: Dorry. Although, Mr 3's ability is kinda cool... But it's kinda weird, too...
Just know that even if you don't get replies for these posts they are greatly appreciated :allears:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

drjuggalo posted:

the viz chapter makes it seem like moria is going to the same place absalom is (and that hogback is probably sleeping too)

Eh Hogback doesn't have a Devil Fruit. So I doubt they are interested in him.
Moria has a powerful ability though. Maybe Doc Q gets to use it?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Poor Perona.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

This is why these "cover stories" of One Piece are so useful, and why being a manga reader is the way to go. You get to see our scrawny Marine chore boy turning that doughy body into an actual toned physique. :shobon: (though the anime covered some of it)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

baroque works arc is so good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm glad you guys are enjoying my live reactions, and yes Baroque Works is very good so far!

Time to keep blind reading! Chapter 122: "Being Dead is Useless" which is a good message imo.

I like the giant wax birthday cake / candle of death that Mr 3 made. That being said, I feel like if you can make as much steel wax as you want, why not just cover everyone up immediately instead of this light sprinkling to turn them into statues?? I guess Mr 3 cares that much about his art. Oh gently caress is Zoro really gunna cut his own feet off? Is there a Doc Doc Fruit user in the house? Oh Luffy showed up and he got only halfway through his legs, whew. Good on Luffy for making fun of Mr 3's hair.

I sincerely hope Usopp gets brave in this fight! Although, if he does, he loses some of his cowardly charm... Miss Goldenweek bustin out a picnic set, I like her. I hope she joins the crew. Hahaha I love how Luffy is so stoked to have his legs in wax. OH NOW I SEE WHY, SPINNING HAMMER ATTACK. Lmao "Luffy! You beat Mr 3! Now come save us!" "Nah"

In the middle of an exciting fight, suddenly the next chapter is "This tea is delicious" lmao. I'm not sure if Miss Golden week is a fruit eater or not, I kind of hope she isn't and her paintings are just so good that they magically work. Mr 5 has a flintlock revolver, is that possible? Probably, who cares. Oh gently caress LUFFY IS FUCKIN RIPPED.

Lmao oh yeah, Sanji is a member of the crew. I sorta forgot he was here. Sorry Sanji!! Oh, wax can melt... Of course it can. It seems so simple, once you know the answer! Oh hey another snail phone, ITS MR 0!!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Zoro being fully willing and actually CUTTING THROUGH HIS GODDAMN LEGS is still one of my favorite moments. And you know full well he would have kicked Mr 3's rear end even without legs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm not sure if Miss Golden week is a fruit eater or not, I kind of hope she isn't and her paintings are just so good that they magically work.

If you're curious about the answer to this: She's not a fruit-user. She's just really great at using colors!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

This is my favorite post in the thread

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Zoro being fully willing and actually CUTTING THROUGH HIS GODDAMN LEGS is still one of my favorite moments. And you know full well he would have kicked Mr 3's rear end even without legs.

One of my favorite moments in the whole series is that leg cutting combined with Broggy coming out of his shock to almost do the same thing with his skewered hands/feet.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I have the feeling if Zoro had really cut his legs off he would have become Shiki and used a 5 sword style

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DizzyBum posted:

If you're curious about the answer to this: She's not a fruit-user. She's just really great at using colors!

It’s a form of hypnotism apparently.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

anime was right posted:

so is van auger getting van der deckens fruit

Nah he doesn’t need it. What would be perfect would be Viola’s fruit

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 127, "Den-den mushi"!

Mushi as in bug? IS THERE GOING TO BE A GIANT BUG? Please god make it so. Also, is it weird how excited I am for a new cover arc to start? I thought Jango was cool back when we met Usopp, I'm excited to see what he's up to!

:eyepop: :captainpop: :chanpop: :trumppop: :shittypop: :zenpop:

Oh, the Den-den mushi is the snail. I'm a little sad, but I love Sanji's thought process. I know it's spelling out to the reader who Mr 0 is, but I like to think Sanji is just a real slow thinker. I love Sanji bullshitting his way through this snail call, and Mr 0 is somehow buying it. I also like that Mr 0's crocodile (Crocodile's crocodile?) has bananas on its head. OH HELL YES SMOKER IS BACK YESSSSSS

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know, I never figured out what the deal with the bananadiles was. Is it some sort of Japanese pun? That's usually the answer with One Piece.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One Piece just jams different animals or stuff together I think.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bananawani is a crocodile zoo in Japan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Bananawani is a crocodile zoo in Japan

Welp, mystery solved, cool.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 128, "The flag known as pride"

"don't die anymore" - wise words from Luffy. I love that Zoro and Sanji don't seem to realize they're on Dino Island, thinking they got a lizard and a rhino. Oh, and now there's a big fish(?), an island devourer?

STRAIGHT AHEAD! STRAIGHT AHEAD! STRAIGHT AHEAD! Aww, Brogy and Dorry broke their weapons. It was worth it for that awesome attack, though! I'm gunna miss those two, I hope in a few dozen chapters they get a cover story! Holy poo poo, Zoro just swinging around those bigass weights. That's 500kg!! Oh, this dude has duck shoulders. Swan shoulders? That's cool I guess. Oh, Nami's got a fever. That's not cool I guess.

It rules that Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp have never been sick. Luffy's too dumb to be sick, Sanji is too cool to be sick, and Usopp is too cowardly to get sick. I like Vivi basically being the mom on this ship of bumbling idiots, I hope she sticks around after all this Alabasta business dies down. Speaking of which, a goddamn cyclone! And now more snow! I hope Luffy builds another snowman. The man who fell from the sky!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Den Den Mushi are a pretty interesting part of the setting, especially considering that the World Government probably couldn't function as it does without them, as well as other major organisations. They basically let Oda use radio, phone and faxes in the setting without having the considerations of the infrastructure required for them.

And as for how the WG stands up to other superpowers, I figured kinda their deal was that the WG is the biggest power in the world by far, but as a direct result of that is super overstretched and unable to effectively police its nominal territory, especially in the fringes. Kinda the point of the Reverie is that the various kings of prominent islands are, in theory, equal to each other and most islands basically govern themselves, and as long as they pay their taxes and don't piss of the World Nobles or do things like research the Void Century, the WG doesn't care much how they do things. (A bit like the Imperium of Man from Warhammer 40k; an empire in theory or at least trappings, but a bit more of a federation in practice out of practicality) As a result, this ends up with the Marines being unable to effectively police the fringes, as the East Blue saga has a captain who's turned an island into his personal fiefdom from his lack of oversight, and another one on the take from a Grand Line pirate crew that has a territorial advantage no one in East Blue knows how to deal with.

Should keep in mind that the events of the manga have shown a lot of escalation from the WG and others, militarily and technologically, in response to the pirate threat. The WG's biggest advantage is infrastructure and manpower (much like the Imperium) which they double down on with technological might like the Pacifistas and more mundane but effective things like the paddle steamers with seastone-lined hulls that let Marine ships cross the Calm Belts incredibly easily. And the conscription in the wake of the Paramount War wasn't just about padding out crew numbers but seemingly got some people powerful enough to be promoted to Admiral within two years. (you know, the Marines promoting on personal power rather than competence explains a LOT... and the one case where it isn't, in CP9, was nepotism)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There are a ton of recent developments due to Vegapunk which make it more understandable why the world government don't have much power in the new world which I don't really have an issue with. Its not really a big issue I guess since its possible the road poneglyphs were a completely mystery to everyone until Roger came along and was magically able to read them. Hopefully we'll get some sort of kaidou/big mam combined flash back which might answer some of the questions about how they found them since they were part of othe same crew at some point

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I guess the poneglyphs were relatively ignored until rumors spread that Roger was travelling with a samurai, reading the glyphs and traversing the New World with ease. I'm glad the poneglyphs are now the major objective. I always thought Robin's Archaeologist title was a weird position for a pirate crew. Lead Treasure Hunter sounds much better.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

From the WG's perspective it was probably more cost efficient to kill anyone who could read the poneglyphs than it was to sail into the New World and destroy them, especially before they got the ability to navigate the Calm Belt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and, y'know, the Poneglyphs can't be destroyed. Can drop them into the sea, but fish-men are a thing. Technically at least one Ponyglyph is in the hands of a WG-aligned nation (Alabasta no less, ruled by a dynasty that turned down becoming Celestial Dragons) and contains information about a superweapon that the WG likely wants at least one backup of just in case. (in case you haven't noticed, they're incredibly paranoid) Should be noted that even the clan that claims to have originally created the Poneglyphs no longer has the skills to read them, and Roger (and Momo) seems to have been a special case.

And I'm pretty sure the idea with the New World is that it was meant to be impenetrable to even the WG back in the day, and Roger's big deal was that he successfully conquered it and discovered an island no one else could. The Emperors we know are following in his wake. (It is implied that Whitebeard could have found it if he'd made the effort, and it was implied he was grooming Ace to be the next Pirate King, but never got the chance to follow through, and it was a dicey prospect dealing with the other Emperors anyway)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Sub Harrison posted:

I guess the poneglyphs were relatively ignored until rumors spread that Roger was travelling with a samurai, reading the glyphs and traversing the New World with ease. I'm glad the poneglyphs are now the major objective. I always thought Robin's Archaeologist title was a weird position for a pirate crew. Lead Treasure Hunter sounds much better.

Lead Treasure Hunter is one of Nami's titles let's be honest.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sub Harrison posted:

She's basically Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones type character despite not really fighting in over a decade.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Time to keep on reading! Chapter 131, "Tin-Plate Wapol"

Giant ship bustin out of the water, I guess that guy just hangs out on top of it? Oh, so tin plate Wapol is a guy. A guy who eats swords. AND BOATS APPARENTLY. Yeah, send that tin can dude flying, Luffy! Oh, wait, Vivi recognizes him. How come I have the feeling he was secretly a good guy and now Luffy hosed everything up? Nah, couldn't be, Luffy never fucks anything up.

I like the seasonal system for the islands in the grand line, it's kinda cool! I summer on summer islands and winter on winter islands are easy to imagine, but I wonder what spring on spring islands or autumn on autumn islands is like... Anyways, I agree with Luffy, snow is so fun, and I too like it cus it's white. OH NO, VIVI! Now Luffy is pissed, RIP these townsfo- oh, she's okay I guess. Huh, the doctor is a witch? So I guess she's... A witch doctor? :v:

Hiking bear is cool, I like him/her. How does this country have no name anyways, did no one think to name it?? MR HYPER SNOWMAN AND SNOWZILLA!!! I just want an entire manga of Luffy and friends playing in the snow. This witch is santa. How very appropriate for the time of year! Oh, Wapol WAS a bad guy after all. Good on ya, Luffy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I always forget that Wapol first shows up on a giant submarine. Drum Island having advanced technology is kind of a neat theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hiking Bear is one of my favorite one piece animals