Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Hooray for saving a life! Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Queen Combat posted:

I hope the story makes sense, I figured that I should write it out as fast as possible before going to sleep but it's still kinda shaky in my mind. Also thank god the crown vic's rear seat is vinyl and pops out easy, she vomited all over it. I just finished cleaning it off in the shower.

We couldn't find any contact info so we left a note on the back of the front door. I also dabbed some toothpicks in wood glue and shoved them in the ripped out hotel chain clasp holes. If she's not back by tomorrow morning when I head out for class around 1100, I'll pop in and screw the plate back into the hole with the toothpicks. I also went over and put some food and water out for her cat, in her bender she knocked over everything. Poor thing hiding in the closet

One think for sure is that no matter what nursing throws at you, you'll keep your head.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Good job. Hopefully things turn around for your neighbor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

No kidding. Hell of a night for sure.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Good poo poo, QC. Proud of you

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Queen Combat posted:

So, interesting night.

That's certainly an understatement.

You're the best possible kind of nosy neighbor, you did great. I hope your neighbor gets the help she needs.

Also, you probably already know this, but watch out for flu-like symptoms from that burning nonstick pan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm a couple days behind on posts, so excuse me for bringing up "old" poo poo.

Not too surprised to be honest. Not many took the buyout (maybe ~1/8 that were offered) so figured this was going to happen to some degree. I'm surprised that so many plants and car lines are potentially getting axed, but it makes sense with the direction the company is going and where the market is. GM has a habit of keeping low volume products around for too long (either through having too many options/engines/transmissions and combinations that have a very small take rate, etc), so I'm hopeful that some of that is curbed with this sort of thing to streamline manufacturing.

This isn't affecting just Ford and GM. People can poo poo on GM cars but even Honda and Toyota are having trouble selling sedans, that's the just market currently. The steel tariff definitely hasn't helped things, either, to the tune of about a $1B each for Ford and GM.

My opinion on the college degree chat: Degrees are good as long as you get something that has a job potential with it. I think being told to go to college and "follow you dreams" by parents/teachers/etc. and then getting an Art degree is where it may have gone wrong for some folks maybe? I don't personally have any friends with degrees that didn't get jobs out of college, so my perspective may be skewed. :shrug:

Engineering has served me well thus far.... uh let me get back to confirm that in a few weeks/months. :ohdear:

For sure. drat good neighbor right there.

Art degrees have value. They simply don't lead to jobs sufficient for a school system that predicates cost to value on high earning STEM field results.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Goober Peas posted:

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

Drove the Crown Vic over the holidays. Wife usually drives it. I love my V8 couch, but she needs it more (back issues make the seats and clutch in the Kia difficult.)

ExplodingSims posted:

The newest Fords I've driven have been the Transit vans, which are honestly pretty great as far as vans go. I mean, they're vans, but they have some nice features.

Speaking of, I dunno how many people here have experience with vans, but if one were to be shopping for one, in say the 2010-2015 range, would you choose Chevy/GMC or Ford?

I'm kinda looking into them for...reasons, and it seems like E-250s or 350s seem to be cheaper. I've driven a few different variants of the Chevy/GMC ones, and while they're ok, In my experience they seem to have a lot of transmission issues or rear diff issues. Other than that they seem to be pretty decent, if very simplistic vehicles. I mean, they haven't really updated them in like 30 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

Dajiban!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_SVUt9hbk
I want one.

Oh, right, 2010-2015.
Eh, probably GM, then, due to common-as-dirtness on parts & parts cost.

slidebite posted:

First "good" image (not including the initial ones with the dust cap)

This stuff blows me away

F-ing amazing.
So hard to get over the fact that we're looking at another planet hundreds of thousands of miles away.
I doubt I'll ever get the chance to visit, but I can hope.

QuarkMartial posted:

As a teacher*, I loving love when this happens because I'll stop everything else to show off this event taking place. Unfortunately, my kids missed it because they had art (which happened to be a great waste of their time), but I'll be showing them all the videos and photos and such tomorrow, and we'll all geek out together because...

At the basic level, it's just loving cool as poo poo. I mean, it's history in the making. I also showed the SpaceX launches earlier this year, where the rockets took off and returned. All of this cool poo poo just helps to cement the importance of everything else - I can help bolster an interest in any subject with this sort of stuff.

*formerly Science, now I teach all subjects

Thanks for trying to impress the importance of this on the kids.

Fermented Tinal posted:

No doubt. You're a good person, QC.

edit: lost a square bracket along the way. Fixed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
QC you are the best among us.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Darchangel posted:

F-ing amazing.
So hard to get over the fact that we're looking at another planet hundreds of thousands of miles away.

I mean, if you choose to believe that. :beck:

holy poo poo that emote is hysterical

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Queen Combat posted:

So, interesting night.

YES. Awesome. You are awesome. Random acts of kindness make me smile to the point that I'll be a drat sap and watch those youtube compilations of them. You made me so happy right now. The world needs more of you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm just thinking about how much QC has saved that girl in ambulance costs...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

Same.

No, you kicked a lot of rear end and could probably throw that under experience in your CV :v:

If it's a sign of things to come, you'll definitely be able to keep your head in emergencies as a nurse.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

incredibly awesome

You rock, QC. The world needs more awesome people like you.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
QC you fukkin own. Good job saving that woman's life.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

That's specifically one thing I was worried about, because first contact costs here in AZ are $1200 for a paramedic rig, and she'd probably be itemized all the way up to $2000+ easy. All for a 1/2 mile ride. Yay private ambulances.

Thanks for the kind words y'all. I just woke up and discovered that I must not have completely gotten all the vomit washed off, because my fresh nose is telling me so.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Queen Combat posted:

Thanks for the kind words y'all. I just woke up and discovered that I must not have completely gotten all the vomit washed off, because my fresh nose is telling me so.

You fell asleep covered in vomit. You are a natural nurse.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hey! And she's awake and back from the hospital! Just talked with her for a bit and she has good insurance through her parents, so it won't be a huge hospital bill. Just alcohol, she's adamant the empty bottles were from her drunkenly fooling around.

Right after that post I heard maintenance banging on her door asking to be let in (checking up on the water damage from yesterday) and I went out to let them know she may not be back soon but she had just gotten dropped off by an Uber so we talked for a sec. I think we'll talk more but just gonna get ready for class and leave her to process it all for a bit.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 27, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Queen Combat posted:

Hey! And she's awake and back from the hospital! Just talked with her for a bit and she has good insurance through her parents, so it won't be a huge hospital bill. Just alcohol, she's adamant the empty bottles were from her drunkenly fooling around.

Right after that post I heard maintenance banging on her door asking to be let in (checking up on the water damage from yesterday) and I went out to let them know she may not be back soon but she had just gotten dropped off by an Uber so we talked for a sec. I think we'll talk more but just gonna get ready for class and leave her to process it all for a bit.

Killing it with the follow-through as well. You're good people.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Liquid Communism posted:

Art degrees have value. They simply don't lead to jobs sufficient for a school system that predicates cost to value on high earning STEM field results.

I didn't mean to imply that they don't, it was just an example how an expensive degree might not pay for itself. I honestly have no idea what you can do with that sort of degree though, to be fair. True for a lot of degrees where I don't know wtf you do with it to get a job in that field.

But now I see college more as proof you're able to learn and be taught than anything. High price to demonstrate that. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
22 years ago they actively pushed students into college and laid it out like those who didn't attend had no future. I wanted to go to a trade school and the guidance office actively interfered with my efforts to do so.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

But now I see college more as proof you're able to learn and be taught than anything. High price to demonstrate that. :v:

I think it's more than that. College is structured to push you out of your comfort zone. To force you into situations that you have to navigate where you don't have a clear idea of where or how to go at the onset. It requires you to engage with people, concepts, and ideas that you would not if you were not required to. I believe that this instills a larger, more broad world view that, as you say, shows you're able to learn.

The two concepts combined foster enhanced adaptability, critical thinking skills, and thinking skills in general. I'd like to see everyone college educated... it'd cut down on a lot of stupidity, but that's not a real-world solution right now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I think it's more than that. College is structured to push you out of your comfort zone. To force you into situations that you have to navigate where you don't have a clear idea of where or how to go at the onset. It requires you to engage with people, concepts, and ideas that you would not if you were not required to. I believe that this instills a larger, more broad world view that, as you say, shows you're able to learn.

The two concepts combined foster enhanced adaptability, critical thinking skills, and thinking skills in general. I'd like to see everyone college educated... it'd cut down on a lot of stupidity, but that's not a real-world solution right now.

Sort of. In the best of situations college does this, but in the best of situations so does joining the armed services. I think in many cases college shows us who is capable of wading, and is willing to wade, through stupid bullshit in order to tick off the boxes of increasingly ratcheted-up resumes for the honor of competing for a job which will then teach them what they really need to know. It provides a venue for those with the means to accumulate social capital in a world where acquire connections and favors owed can be more important than skills or knowledge.

I mean, yeah, college attendance is correlated with many positive factors, and those who have attended institutions of higher learning tend to skew toward progressive thought and tolerance. An educated populace benefits everyone, but there's got to be an answer that doesn't involve people going tens of thousands of dollars in debt while we simultaneously choke off the supply of talented laborers this country desperately needs. Outside of, say, providing free trade skill training to people who also complete a year or two of the general education course work that serves to broaden one's horizons in a liberal arts education, I'm not sure how we can strike a balance between educating our population, protecting their fiscal solvency, and eating those more interested in skilled labor.

(Sorry if there are weird typos and other wonkiness in this, it was largely dictated into my phone.)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't mean to imply that they don't, it was just an example how an expensive degree might not pay for itself. I honestly have no idea what you can do with that sort of degree though, to be fair.

I completely agree that the price of a degree needs to be reflected in the actual wage prices as the end result since there are a ton of bullshit degrees out there that students are going for that are a fast pass to homelessness. Part of what guidance counselors should be doing is talking about the input vs the output factor. Some of us are in the trap that we have to get degrees to advance ourselves in our careers, this could be either driven by field, location, or in my case longevity. In CA, a bachelors is now the equivalent to a high school diploma, so you have to get a grad degree to stand out, especially in my age group hell, I even thought about continuing to finish a doctorate just to be done with it all, which I may still have to do a decade from now. I could easily see grad degrees being the new high school diploma for my kids generation with how CA views education.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Sort of. In the best of situations college does this, but in the best of situations so does joining the armed services. I think in many cases college shows us who is capable of wading, and is willing to wade, through stupid bullshit in order to tick off the boxes of increasingly ratcheted-up resumes for the honor of competing for a job which will then teach them what they really need to know. It provides a venue for those with the means to accumulate social capital in a world where acquire connections and favors owed can be more important than skills or knowledge.

I mean, yeah, college attendance is correlated with many positive factors, and those who have attended institutions of higher learning tend to skew toward progressive thought and tolerance. An educated populace benefits everyone, but there's got to be an answer that doesn't involve people going tens of thousands of dollars in debt while we simultaneously choke off the supply of talented laborers this country desperately needs. Outside of, say, providing free trade skill training to people who also complete a year or two of the general education course work that serves to broaden one's horizons in a liberal arts education, I'm not sure how we can strike a balance between educating our population, protecting their fiscal solvency, and eating those more interested in skilled labor.

(Sorry if there are weird typos and other wonkiness in this, it was largely dictated into my phone.)

I totally agree. I point out that college is a series of hoops to jump through. Then again... so is the real world.

The cost/benefit of college has gotten seriously skewed which, if you were ultimately skeptical, could be a control measure from the gub'mnt to keep the population dumb and following orders. Either way, there are other options, but college does give you a more sophisticated worldview.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think the idea that getting a college degree was the best or easiest way to get a good job really took off after the economy in 2008 collapsed. FWIW attendance at my college exploded in 2009. They originally planned to close down a few dorms but they had to reopen them due to the size of the incoming class. However, I don't know how many students they necessarily retained because I know a lot of people didn't come back after the first semester.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I totally agree. I point out that college is a series of hoops to jump through. Then again... so is the real world.

The cost/benefit of college has gotten seriously skewed which, if you were ultimately skeptical, could be a control measure from the gub'mnt to keep the population dumb and following orders. Either way, there are other options, but college does give you a more sophisticated worldview.
Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to convince Boomers that it's not as simple anymore just getting a part-time job to pay for college. They just grouse about Millennials, avocado toast, and safe spaces.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Windshield on the rental got hit by a rock and chipped with some minor cracking.

$690 to replace.

This is karma for bragging about my low af insurance isn't it?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm on board the free college train. The price of a degree should be 0, borne by society which benefits from its members being educated. Don't want to go? fine, make your own way. Want job training? Fine, society pays for it. Want a degree? Fine, society pays for it. Want a bullshit degree? We'll pay for that too. Society still benefits regardless of field of study, as long as there's a base curriculum that educates on general subjects. Someone with an art degree will still be able to speak coherently and type a readable e-mail.

The way I envision it is that you still have to attend and pass your classes or you're out. Free college opponents want to prevent people just using school to avoid working, and I agree with that. Make measurable progress or stop wasting society's money. Imagine high school but when kids cut class or skip homework they're just kicked out.

But yeah, my daughter is staring down $25k a year for even mediocre schools. I'm trying to convince her to live with me and do community college, because unless she gets some great grants and scholarships it's all out of pocket.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

keykey posted:

I completely agree that the price of a degree needs to be reflected in the actual wage prices as the end result since there are a ton of bullshit degrees out there that students are going for that are a fast pass to homelessness. Part of what guidance counselors should be doing is talking about the input vs the output factor. Some of us are in the trap that we have to get degrees to advance ourselves in our careers, this could be either driven by field, location, or in my case longevity. In CA, a bachelors is now the equivalent to a high school diploma, so you have to get a grad degree to stand out, especially in my age group hell, I even thought about continuing to finish a doctorate just to be done with it all, which I may still have to do a decade from now. I could easily see grad degrees being the new high school diploma for my kids generation with how CA views education.

Humanities degrees, and the jobs that require them are valuable to society. We need people who can teach. We need people in the soft sciences.

Unfortunately, at this point, we don't need them in sufficient quantity for those jobs to be easy to find, or require reasonable pay to attract candidates. They aren't like the software field, where college graduates face a kind of planned obsolescence because it is cheaper to replace them in a few years with someone fresh out of school on the new tooling rather than retrain. People make full careers in those fields, and in a lot of them retire when they drop dead in their office because they can't afford to do otherwise.

We absolutely need skilled labor, but a lot of those jobs are physically demanding and are definitely seen as second class and lacking in respectability.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, even though I thought it was pretty boring for myself, I'm pro-college. Even the so-called "useless" degrees are still something society needs, after all, we can't all be engineers.
Being able to try new things, learn about art, other cultures, humanities is a net good for everyone. But the concept that to have a viable career you need to get a $100,000 piece of paper needs to go. We should be encouraging people to learn because it's a good thing to do, and benefits us all. Not because some shareholder needs a .05% increase on returns.

That being said, I think more college type classes should be offered up in high school. Give people more of an option to try new things early. That, and bringing back shop classes and giving people the oppertunity to learn more trade related stuff. Office jobs aren't for everyone, and you can still make a good living working with your hands.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Windshield on the rental got hit by a rock and chipped with some minor cracking.

$690 to replace.

This is karma for bragging about my low af insurance isn't it?

Where do you live? Prices like that are typically found in areas with public insurance. When I lived in BC I was quoted $650 for my windshield, got the exact same one in Alberta for $240

e: somehow missed the rental part. You would get hosed on that one way or another. Will your credit card help out?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got done watching Furious 6 for the first time with my son. Lol at the longest runway in existence at the end there :v:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Sort of. In the best of situations college does this, but in the best of situations so does joining the armed services.

That's pretty much what the military did for me, and although I tend to poo poo on the military experience I can give it that. Prepared me for the real world and by the time my 4 yr term was up I was ready to do things on my own.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just got done watching Furious 6 for the first time with my son. Lol at the longest runway in existence at the end there :v:

That's pretty much what the military did for me, and although I tend to poo poo on the military experience I can give it that. Prepared me for the real world and by the time my 4 yr term was up I was ready to do things on my own.

Internet napkin calculations usually put that runway length at anywhere from 15 to 26 miles.

Yeah.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slidebite posted:

Where do you live? Prices like that are typically found in areas with public insurance. When I lived in BC I was quoted $650 for my windshield, got the exact same one in Alberta for $240

e: somehow missed the rental part. You would get hosed on that one way or another. Will your credit card help out?

It's paid and I want November to loving just be over.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

meatpimp posted:

These days? Bull loving poo poo. Liberal snowflakes and the liberal administrator enablers have shredded that concept to oblivion.

College is valuable, to the student and to society. But saying everyone has to go is bullshit, just like saying nobody should go is bullshit. There's a balance to be struck. Trade schools for trade specific training, AA's for general skills training, and gap years before college for real world training should be far more prevalent all around.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 28, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think everyone should be required by law to work at least two years in food service and two years in retail.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

real world training should be far more prevalent all around.

Where I work we were looking for an HVAC instructor and we had a crap ton of applicants that had been in the industry for years, however, it is a faculty position. Working as faculty at a community college requires you to have a masters to teach, because, reasons of fiefdoms and other controlled bullshit... They were looking for an experienced HVAC technician with a masters in some such bullshit, any bullshit, but that was the requirement. They found one, then promptly fired him after one semester since he was terrible, they decided since to change masters required stipulations for certs based programs and the new dude that applied from the previous applicant pool of absolutely qualified applicants that had years of industry experience is tits.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think everyone should be required by law to work at least two years in food service and two years in retail.

The soft hearted part of me feels like that would lead to a lot better treatment for unskilled workers in general

But then I remember everyone thinks they are a great driver and that just flies out the drat window. "I can do it better than you" they screech, "I did my two years you slow piece of poo poo", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

tetrapyloctomy posted:

:agreed:
I'm glad to hear this. Having been through the Needlestick Nightmare of follow-up labs, I know it's a huge weight off your shoulders. My Occupational Health visits sucked, too. I have pipes. I mean, if my arms are hanging down any competent nurse could find six places to put 18s in my arms without a tourniquet. And yet OH managed to blow two butterflies getting labs on one of my needlestick follow ups. I also once had to write my own prescriptions for Truvada and Kaletra because the OH doc couldn't get the doses and numbers rights. (Normally I use generic names, not Brand, but I simply never can remember them for all the antiretrovirals. Emtricatabine/tenofivir and ... something-avir/something-avir. We don't use Kaletra anymore anyway.)

It's one less big worry for her, atleast. She had partially convinced herself she contracted it as a child and was in late stage liver failure, because "that's just how my luck runs".

I too am graced with straws near the surface. I'm still proud of the fact that my ac was so large and prominent that after the accident the medic threw a 16 without a tourniquet in the middle of a bump and it went in smooth as silk. This same vein has a dent and a lump of scar tissue lower down from an absolutely terrifying phleb a few years prior.

It's gotten to the point where If someone mentions needing a veinfinder on me, I believe them to be utterly incompetent and watch them like a hawk because I'm sure they are gonna break sterile technique. Veinfinders *look* cool as hell though. I want one to play with real bad.

• Locked thread