Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Snowy posted:

Would I be missing out on much by buying this :siren:half price 8qt:siren: rather than one of the fancier models?

I liked the idea of the higher pressure of the newest one but maybe this is too good to pass up.

Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B1VC13K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pta-Bb86MYBMC

In my personal experience you're looking at using Manual, Rice, and Saute. Everything else is extra buttons. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks guys, I got it :) finally replacing a 6 qt and maybe now I’ll end up with a decent amount of leftovers!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Has anybody made congee/jook in an IP with the porridge setting?

With the cold weather upon us I've been making more congee; if the IP can simplify it well... :choco:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
No but I've made congee in a normal pressure cooker.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

In my personal experience you're looking at using Manual, Rice, and Saute. Everything else is extra buttons. :v:
As far as I can tell the the manual/porridge/multigrain buttons produce the same cup of steel cut oatmeal in the same time. The yogurt button is cool too though, if only because it will scald milk for you without scorching it or boiling over (you can also make the scalded milk into yogurt if you want)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 27, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No but I've made congee in a normal pressure cooker.

Nice! I'm gonna look into what exactly the porridge setting does, but a quick google search led me to three trustworthy looking IP congee recipes. :bubblewoop:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poverty goat posted:

As far as I can tell the the manual/porridge/multigrain buttons produce the same cup of steel cut oatmeal in the same time. The yogurt button is cool too though, if only because it will scald milk for you without scorching it or boiling over (you can also make the scalded milk into yogurt if you want)

I hadn't thought of that. I have nearly zero interest in making yogurt (it's currently negative) but scalding milk is the first step in hot chocolate recipes. Normally I just get impatient on the stove. As the kids/cousins grow up making hot chocolate in bulk like this would be amazing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I make yogurt now just because it's easy with the IP and I'm happy to throw away less little plastic cups but it's not a life-changing upgrade over storebought plain yogurt or anything

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poverty goat posted:

I make yogurt now just because it's easy with the IP and I'm happy to throw away less little plastic cups but it's not a life-changing upgrade over storebought plain yogurt or anything

I hate "tart" or firm yogurt with an undying passion. I've had some super smooth creamy sweet yogurt at a little B&B in KY which I actually liked, but we were on such a short time crunch I didn't have time to ask the owner how it was made. I assume it involved a lot of sugar and could have otherwise passed as frozen yogurt/ice cream had it been frozen. It wasn't whipped cream.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I hate "tart" or firm yogurt with an undying passion. I've had some super smooth creamy sweet yogurt at a little B&B in KY which I actually liked, but we were on such a short time crunch I didn't have time to ask the owner how it was made. I assume it involved a lot of sugar and could have otherwise passed as frozen yogurt/ice cream had it been frozen. It wasn't whipped cream.

Firmness and tartness are both directly related to time spent at temperature so you can dial this in, and homemade will generally be sweeter and less firm than storebought. But you can and should sweeten it to taste with honey/preserves and add fruit, nuts, cereal and stuff to make it awesome. You don't have to eat it plain just because there's no fruit on the bottom

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 28, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Firmness and tartness are both directly related to time spent at temperature so you can dial this in, and homemade will be sweeter and less firm than storebought. But you can and should sweeten it to taste with honey/preserves and add fruit, nuts, cereal and stuff to make it awesome. You don't have to eat it plain just because there's no fruit on the bottom

Interesting. I've never looked into it. As far as I know it was "plain" as part of a parfait, and taking a bite of just the yogurt it actually was good.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.foxvalleyfoodie.com/instant-pot-bbq-pulled-pork/

this recipe says to pressure cook for 90 minutes, that seems like a long time, is that correct?

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Seems fine. I've done Kalua pork from NomNomPaleo and it takes the same amount of time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

https://www.foxvalleyfoodie.com/instant-pot-bbq-pulled-pork/

this recipe says to pressure cook for 90 minutes, that seems like a long time, is that correct?

Yes.
Edit, learned the hard way, through experience. Almost every pulled pork recipe has ridiculous times like 30 minutes or 50 minutes but the pork will be too tough to pull apart. It needs the 90 minutes.

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 29, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For things like pulled pork, what matters for the texture is not just the temperature it hits, but how long it stays at that temperature. I'm sure Kenji has written it up somewhere, but tl;dr it takes awhile

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can yogurt be made in a regular pressure cooker, or is that an IP only deal?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

QuarkMartial posted:

Can yogurt be made in a regular pressure cooker, or is that an IP only deal?

I'm sure you could, but you really don't need a pressure cooker for yogurt at all.

Steps to make yogurt:

1. Heat milk to 180-200 degrees Fahrenheit (call it 83-93 Celsius) and keep it there for around 10 minutes minimum to kill whatever might be living in the milk.

2. Cool the milk to about 110F / 43.5C.

3. Add yogurt cultures (2T of yogurt with live cultures, from the previous batch or from Chobani or whatever).

4. Hold the milk at that temperature overnight (8-12 hours).

5. Strain the yogurt.

I used to do this with the sous vide rig - I had the milk in a plastic container that would stand up to 185, then cool it in the sink, then back to the sous vide setup at 110 overnight.

The instant pot or other pressure cooker is an inferior way to make yogurt, imo.

EDIT: but, considering what thread this is, here's a recipe for an electric pressure cooker that is not an Instant Pot with a yogurt button: https://www.theferventmama.com/pressure-cooker-yogurt/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The IP has a yogurt mode which handles steps 1 and 4 (without using pressure at all)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

poverty goat posted:

The IP has a yogurt mode which handles steps 1 and 4 (without using pressure at all).

Thanks - I couldn't remember exactly which steps that IP handled; I have a model without the yogurt button.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Yes.
Edit, learned the hard way, through experience. Almost every pulled pork recipe has ridiculous times like 30 minutes or 50 minutes but the pork will be too tough to pull apart. It needs the 90 minutes.

Just this past weekend I cubed, browned, and pressure cooked a 5 lb. boneless pork shoulder to eat with some bok choy. I only cooked it for 60 minutes followed by a natural release, and it was extremely soft and shreddable after just one hour. In fact, I was a bit disappointed by how soft it was - 90 minutes would have turned it into a paste. Might be because I chopped it into cubes first, or that I use a stainless stovetop model that may have a little higher pressure than an Instant Pot, but YMMV.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, if you're doing a whole pork shoulder that's just cut up enough to fit in the pot, you'll probably need all that time to make it tender.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

Just this past weekend I cubed, browned, and pressure cooked a 5 lb. boneless pork shoulder to eat with some bok choy. I only cooked it for 60 minutes followed by a natural release, and it was extremely soft and shreddable after just one hour. In fact, I was a bit disappointed by how soft it was - 90 minutes would have turned it into a paste. Might be because I chopped it into cubes first, or that I use a stainless stovetop model that may have a little higher pressure than an Instant Pot, but YMMV.

Yeah I almost added, "Cut into pieces if in a hurry and you want it done faster." Obviously higher pressure will cook faster. But a whole shoulder in an IP will take 90 min.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I forgot some vital info. If you're going to make yogurt in an instant pot, remove the rubber ring first. It probably still smells a bit of chilli and that will flavor your yogurt just enough to make you think you're going crazy imagining it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poverty goat posted:

I forgot some vital info. If you're going to make yogurt in an instant pot, remove the rubber ring first. It probably still smells a bit of chilli and that will flavor your yogurt just enough to make you think you're going crazy imagining it.

Also get the red and blue extra ones so that you can mistakenly make chili with both instead of saving the blue one for light flavors.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

H110Hawk posted:

Also get the red and blue extra ones so that you can mistakenly make chili with both instead of saving the blue one for light flavors.

I didn’t know they existed. Are there other accessories I should be using?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can always smell the last dish I cooked on that gasket, and it's never flavored anything I've made next, including white rice, but otoh yogurt is going to be in there a looooong time

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Snowy posted:

I didn’t know they existed. Are there other accessories I should be using?

We bought some silicone gloves so we could reach in and grab things with impunity but those color coded rings are the only ones I would suggest everyone get.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Try cleaning the ring with Windex, followed by a trip through the dishwasher. Not foolproof but works better than just soap and water.

Also that little metal cover inside the lid pulls off so you can clean around the valve. I'm kinda ashamed but didn't realize that right away.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug
Wirecutter has a very useful blog post about cleaning smelly silicone cookware

tl;dr: Preheat oven to 250 f and wash the item to get rid of oils and stuck on food items. Make sure the item is fully silicone or heatproof. Stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes and then take it out to sniff. If it's still smelly, stick it back in for another 10 mins. Repeat until the smell is gone.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sam16 posted:

Wirecutter has a very useful blog post about cleaning smelly silicone cookware

tl;dr: Preheat oven to 250 f and wash the item to get rid of oils and stuck on food items. Make sure the item is fully silicone or heatproof. Stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes and then take it out to sniff. If it's still smelly, stick it back in for another 10 mins. Repeat until the smell is gone.

Gonna try this out. My IP ring smells like a thousand meals, all delicious.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
After seeing so many people rave about it, I tried Kenji's columbian chicken stew. Used "fire roasted" canned tomatoes, don't know how much of a difference that made. Also forgot the onion :v:

Still really tasty. The potatoes, which I cut on the small side of the recipe's recommended range, got pretty soft; I'd probably cut 'em bigger next time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have made my first pressure cooker beans. Texture was good, flavor was not. I'm guessing at least part of the blandness was the fact that it doesn't boil off any of the cooking liquid. How much should I be reducing my liquid by from a regular recipe? Half? I'm starting with dry beans here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I use the cold start method for yogurt in the ip. Ultrapasturized/ultrafiltered milk, 2 tbsp of yogurt and a small can of condensed milk, whisk. 8 hours in the IP, overnight in the fridge. Then I stir it up and put it into 4 oz mason jars. If I'm feeling frisky I'll put some compote on the bottom but usually I just enjoy it with peanut butter granola and strawberries.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I have made my first pressure cooker beans. Texture was good, flavor was not. I'm guessing at least part of the blandness was the fact that it doesn't boil off any of the cooking liquid. How much should I be reducing my liquid by from a regular recipe? Half? I'm starting with dry beans here.

What kind of beans we talking here? Beans can take awhile to figure out and each kind requires different amounts of time. For a party I made my best pinto beans ever a month ago, sauteing onion and bacon helped with flavor but what took it to the next level was adding lard on top right before sealing it up. It was a game changer. Timing wise it always takes longer than expected and you have to figure out liquid. Salt after cooking for taste

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 4, 2018

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
With beans, and a lot of things really, after pressure cooking usually run it on saute with the lid off and reduce it a little after the actual cooking. That's when add any herbs epazote/cilantro/oregano etc too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just standard frijoles de la olla. https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/mexican-beans-recipe/

I used pinto beans, which might have been part of it too. I didn't have access to pinto beans in Asia so I always used kidneys when I did this one the stovetop. Was always great despite only having a few ingredients. This time was bland city.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cooking the beans in stock instead of water will cure the blandness. Salt to taste then stir in a slab of butter. Starch in the water should bind the butter especially if you mash some of the beans. I don't reduce mine because my youngest daughter loves the 'soup' part and eats most of that. If you just want beans and no soup, drain it I guess.

Here is a delicious bean soup recipe that is served everyday in the Senate. https://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm
I heard the recipe differently, 3-4 onions to 2# beans, and that's how I've made it. And I use chicken broth instead of water.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I did use stock this time, actually. Usually I just use water, that recipe doesn't need any stock. Was a surprise to me too the first time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Then it's probably bad beans or you didn't season, something hard to diagnose over the internet. And all soups need stock, don't let them tell you otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So back to my actual question, there's really no need to reduce initial liquid in a pressure cooker recipe even though nothing boils off?

E: Just going to run a :science: test batch while I still have the same bag of beans and remember what I did yesterday. Can refry the whole lot to save it if it doesn't turn out well.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 4, 2018