Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wonder if there are kids that play fortnite but want to just build instead of shoot at each other

There totally are, that was a part of why they put in the playground mode a while back, because some people just wanted to build hella forts and shopping cart racetracks without worrying about people shooting them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My nephews (8 and 10) are probably getting a Switch for Christmas. Their parents aren't really into gaming and I'm getting farther out of the loop by the day.

Any parents in the thread want to share things they found useful about dealing with kids and the Switch (other than kids wanting to murder their siblings after playing games together)? They're currently playing games on their WiiU, so their familiar with motion sensitive controllers and titles that are similar to other Nintendo systems.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

The Kins posted:

Superbrothers Swords & Sworcery EP will be hitting the Switch on Friday for an unspecified price that will almost certainly be higher than the five bucks or so it goes for on other platforms.

Here's a trailer that has next to nothing to do with the game, so it's not really a trailer so much as it is a mood piece. Indie games, eh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwXUEpVB9E

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, like, I own this game multiple times, and haven't gotten more than 5 minutes into it. Whenever I was playing last, I got distracted or couldn't continue, but since then (the YEARS since then), I haven't ever felt like going back. What's the big deal? From someone who's played it all the way through, is it worth the time? What's the big draw?

EDIT rather than make a second post: Any word on a new direct coming soon? Also, can you watch the directs uhh... directly from your Switch, like you used to be able to do with the Wii's Nintendo Channel?

I'm interested to see what other games they're going to put on the Online service. I want Kirby's Adventure up there; it's a quintessential holiday favourite :shobon:

The only reason to play this game is for the A++ music and sound effects.Get some good headphones or hook up a bluetooth speaker and enjoy.

I don't see any reason to get it on the Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tadashi posted:

My nephews (8 and 10) are probably getting a Switch for Christmas. Their parents aren't really into gaming and I'm getting farther out of the loop by the day.

Any parents in the thread want to share things they found useful about dealing with kids and the Switch (other than kids wanting to murder their siblings after playing games together)? They're currently playing games on their WiiU, so their familiar with motion sensitive controllers and titles that are similar to other Nintendo systems.

Be the Cool Uncle/Aunt and get them the Super Smash Bros bundle with the special-edition Dock and JoyCons. It looks like this (don't worry so much about the non-Smash bundled titles there). That link's for EB Games Australia, but you should be able to find the same general thing in the US or wherever you are.

If you want additional titles to get them, Pokemon Let's Go and/or Mario Kart should do the trick for small kids in need of multiplayer games to share.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

wtf it is not reasonable to suggest that someone spend $500 on their nephews

I mean for starters even if they did have the money to spend on family like that, the parents might not appreciate it. I know that my sister doesn't like us going crazy buying stuff for her kids.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 27, 2018

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm guessing the parents are buying the Switch. Check with them to see if there are any games they are getting (pack in or otherwise). If not, Smash or Kart will be good multi-player experiences. If they like Pokemon/Pokemon Go, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee would be fine (they can each have a save file on each of their Switch profiles) but stick to a good multi-player game first.

I'd stick with one game which is going to run $60. That seems more than appropriate, especially if the parents are getting one game either packed into the system or in addition to the system.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

irlZaphod posted:

I mean for starters even if they did have the money to spend on family like that, the parents might not appreciate it. I know that my sister doesn't like us going crazy buying stuff for her kids.

I love Christmas because it lets me witness the insanely impractical things my parents get my nephews, all of it designed to kill the grass in the yard one way or another.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

irlZaphod posted:

Hmm counterpoint get the children an awesome expensive thing for Christmas cause they have their whole adult life to experience poor Christmas

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

It sounded a lot like they just wanted some advice to help guide the parents on what's worth getting :shrug:.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I liked open world games a lot more as a kid because I had more free time and a more vivid imagination.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Be the cool Uncle and buy the children matching Lamborghinis, an 8-ball of cocaine and a Nintendo Switch to do the coke off of.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

I liked open world games a lot more as a kid because I had more free time and a more vivid imagination.

Open world games are a lot of fun if you actually have something to do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BGrifter posted:

Be the cool Uncle and buy the children matching Lamborghinis, an 8-ball of cocaine and a Nintendo Switch to do the coke off of.

You really need a glass screen protector for that

Spellman
May 31, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Cool, thanks, i'm in for one now. Ordered through Target and got 15% off today. I've got the wired GC adapter / controllers from the Wii U, but a wireless gamecube pad sounds very good to me. My wavebirds are a bit too old to justify continued use for smashing..

https://www.target.com/p/powera-wireless-gamecube-controller-for-nintendo-switch---purple/-/A-53788216

This is the first 3rd party controller I've purchased since lovely N64 controllers were a thing, and I'm definitely impressed. Big thumbs up to this purchase

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Very tempted on that GC controller out of sheer nostalgia. I don't really need another controller (I could use a joycon...)

Anyone know how much it goes for in Europe? Might be a Christmas gift to myself. Especially if it merely registers as another pro. That means it'd work with any pro-compatible game right?

EDIT: Finally watched that video. Batteries? gently caress that. I don't have time for batteries.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 27, 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When I was younger I remember half of the fun of some games was figuring out what to actually do. Also console games back then were beatable in like 2 hours so the "what the hell do I do now" was often part of just making it last longer. I remember playing Super Mario Bros 2 up to the point where you're supposed to sit on the egg SO many times and just not being able to figure it out and dying over and over and having to restart the whole drat game

But then also there was a very real risk of just going "this is dumb" and turning off the whole game if it was TOO obtuse. A lot of city builders were like that for me.

As a kid, many of us liked hard games. Open world was a boon. And those games weren't even as sophisticated as how we do open world games now. People are under the impression that if you open-world an older series, you just remove the walls and let people run wild without changing anything else. You can discourage a player from going to a dangerous zone; they're smart enough to see the fork in the road. But some people want to take that challenge, you know?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

get another set of joycons. thats like, by far the most important thing if you have kids sharing a console.

also I'd suggest games that you can actually play at the same time.

Mario Odyssey is good (especially if one of them is particularly bad at games, they can be the hat). Mario Kart is good, it has auto acceleration.

also, give their parents this link: https://kotaku.com/new-nintendo-switch-update-lets-you-find-lost-controlle-1796254950

you can find lost joycons with it

also get a screen protector

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KingSlime posted:

adult gamers on video game forums are some of the least knowledgable people

yes

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Humerus posted:

I didn't realize the batteries lasted so long. I've been using the set that came with Mario Party while my wife and I played since Friday and I got the warning one was low last night. Guess they weren't fully charged out of the box.

Sorry, i didn’t mean to be misleading; I was way over-exaggerating. I’m not even sure the self-discharge time is “a few months”. The point is just to rotate pairs of joycons attached to the Switch every so often* and you’ll never have to worry. For example, I rotate in the pink/yellow pair my daughter uses every 3 weeks or so; and she plays Mario Kart no more than a few hours a week, which is well under the 20 hour expected life. I’ve never seen a battery warning.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is the online up for reviewers?

Ah yes I'm a "reviewer"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh wait you're playing online with a pirated game, before it's released? Your console is gonna get banned dude. You'll deserve it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nah I bet it's totally worth it

I wish I was playing smash now

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

BGrifter posted:

Don't ruin the matte finish on your Switch screen by doing coke off it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Don't ruin the matte finish on your Switch screen by doing coke off it.

That is why you use the glass screen protector... duh.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ZenVulgarity posted:

Ah yes I'm a "reviewer"

:mad: You don't deserve to have Jackbox

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Ah yes I'm a "reviewer"

I hope you review your Switch into a bricked paperweight.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

just play smash on somebody else's switch, problem solved

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I hope you review your Switch into a bricked paperweight.

Homebrew/Piracy isn't going to brick a Switch unless the user is a massive idiot

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5ic2cR-V0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
that's what the new Pokemon should be like, imo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nice. I always wanted to play this game on PC. Hopefully the port is good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

tadashi posted:

Buy digital. The cartridges are beyond tiny, to the point where children swallowing them was a genuine concern.

In addition, the parental controls require you to sync the switch with a phone app, but you can set separate time limits for each day of the week. My boy gets 60 minutes on weekdays, for example.

If multiple children are using the same Switch it's really really easy to accidentally play under another person's profile and gently caress up their save games so you'll need to drill it into their heads to watch for that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When my momma told me to go out back and get a Switch it meant something different. Similar sound effect though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

Homebrew/Piracy isn't going to brick a Switch unless the user is a massive idiot

This is correct

See: "leaked" bad hash nsp versions of let's go Pikachu which softbricked your switch and some copies of smash

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I played through the first boss of Transistor the other night, it's a really good port. Was just laying in bed in the dark, loving up my circadian rhythm, listening to the gorgeous soundtrack and just kicking the poo poo out of all the jerkass robots I could find.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh wait you're playing online with a pirated game, before it's released? Your console is gonna get banned dude. You'll deserve it

I mean the online part aint mine so someone will deserve it, sure

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is correct

See: "leaked" bad hash nsp versions of let's go Pikachu which softbricked your switch and some copies of smash

you're totally going to get banned though

i hope smashing online slightly early was worth it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a for real good sim game and if you have any interest in sim driving, off-road trucks, or things like truck simulator, you should check it out.

I have it on PC and I might double dip if it reviews well

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

repiv posted:

you're totally going to get banned though

i hope smashing online slightly early was worth it

There's ways to get around bans usually, though they involve tinkering

My way would simply be to turn the banned console into a portable emulation dream machine and get another switch if I really needed access to the eShop or whatever

You literally can't lose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Someone talk me into or out of buying broforce and rocket league for £9 each in the sale