Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Asahi is a legit bad character.

"And then Asahi, after bringing up his sister's traumatic memories, luring his parents to their deaths, turning his sister into a Primal in front of the most renowned Primal killer in the world, and laughing maniacally at ruining a prisoner exchange involving his own people, stopped to shoot and kick his dying sister's body repeatedly while screaming at her that she was a useless whore."

:moreevil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

Yeah it was clear they had a lot of plans with the Heaven's Ward and then almost none of it appears? Did they just run out of space? Is it all in the CUL 50-60 quests?

With the Warrior of Darkness plotline likely coming back in some way I'm pretty sure this slots the Heaven's Ward into the biggest waste of screentime spot

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Heavens' Ward gave us Charibert memes, so that's not true.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I quite liked HW. It had dragons, knights, and a pope. It also had class conflict, a message about the futility of war, and a great underlying message.

I give it 9 dragoons backflipping off a ledge out of 10. I did not raid in HW.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Nessus posted:

Yeah it was clear they had a lot of plans with the Heaven's Ward and then almost none of it appears? Did they just run out of space? Is it all in the CUL 50-60 quests?

it's all in the Hildy quests

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

jokes posted:

I did not raid in HW.

You missed a literal boss fight with Voltron.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

It's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh. It reminds me of "dark and edgy" Harry Potter fanfic from when I was in high school more than anything.

I laughed at the Tsukiyomi stuff for a different reason (Asahi's incredible dramatization mostly. They kind of went Overham with him.)

I couldn't laugh at her backstory or her telling of it because I quite clearly remember the quest of 'go find a dude who's supposed to be watching her and find out why he isn't' and the plot therein was relatively simple and straightforward, with minimal ham/drama involved.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

I disagree.

I see Tsukuyomi as nothing more than one last suicidal temper tantrum that the world wouldn't bend to her will. She was a [wo]manchild from beginning to end, concerned only with her own desires and her own pain. When she loses her memories, she deteriorates to the level of a child, because that's all she is. To me, her soliloquy was nothing but the raving of a woman incapable of honest self-reflection who went to her grave confused, frightened, and angry. She's a narcissist through and through, and I think Gosetsu scared her because his actions meant that she needed help. I think the mere prospect that she might just possibly be wrong about things terrified and enraged her.

Just like the last time you ranted about Yotsuyu, you're still wrong.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EponymousMrYar posted:

I laughed at the Tsukiyomi stuff for a different reason (Asahi's incredible dramatization mostly. They kind of went Overham with him.)

I couldn't laugh at her backstory or her telling of it because I quite clearly remember the quest of 'go find a dude who's supposed to be watching her and find out why he isn't' and the plot therein was relatively simple and straightforward, with minimal ham/drama involved.

Same. Asahi's great, especially because he sees himself as a main character in this grand spectacle he's about to orchestrate.

I really enjoyed Yotsuyu other than her ridiculous survival. Here's a character who sees themselves as a monster and was content to just play out her little role as Tsuyu and live a quiet sheltered life under watch. But she casts aside the chance when her tormentors return and she cannot stop herself from getting revenge on them, and she's fine with that. She always saw herself as someone undeserving of a better life and she's happy to visit suffering on everyone she sees, because she thinks everyone else is as low as she is. Sure, there's a lingering regret during the transition and it's clear the time she spent with Gosetsu has planted a spark of hope in her, but it's only a moment's hesitation she overcomes. There's no redemption element. You can feel sad for her but it's as Hien said. If nothing happens, he'll let Tsuyu live in peace. If she turns out to Yotsuyu, then she'll be put down as she deserves.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I found Asahi very plausible considering various people in positions of influence in reality right now. Obviously it would be ridiculous if that was ALL the Garleans, but it was actually good to have a Garlic who was just a total shithead gently caress-rear end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m just gonna say I’m gonna be curious to see how Cythereal reacts to 4.4 :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jokes posted:

I quite liked HW. It had dragons, knights, and a pope. It also had class conflict, a message about the futility of war, and a great underlying message.

I give it 9 dragoons backflipping off a ledge out of 10. I did not raid in HW.

I think the class conflict message gets buried pretty hard, honestly. Outside of the five minutes in the MSQ quest you spend with Hilda and the 3.1 storyline it gets sidelined entirely unless you're doing DRK or MCH job quests.

It's a lot different from how pretty much every second of Stormblood is about how imperialism is just the loving worst.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
dsa garlemald

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm fine with Yotsuyu's backstory and how brutal it is and even her motivation to just gently caress up Doma in 4.0 but the amnesia plot was lame and I think Hien striking her down would have been a fine way to end it. He seemed to have remorse about the whole thing and wanting to do better by his people than his father did. Taking her prisoner and having to decide her fate while not under duress would have been fine too but unfortunately they did the prisoner thing with Fordola.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whatever your opinions, Tsukuyomi gave us one of the best primal tracks so it's all good.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm fine with Yotsuyu's backstory and how brutal it is and even her motivation to just gently caress up Doma in 4.0 but the amnesia plot was lame and I think Hien striking her down would have been a fine way to end it. He seemed to have remorse about the whole thing and wanting to do better by his people than his father did. Taking her prisoner and having to decide her fate while not under duress would have been fine too but unfortunately they did the prisoner thing with Fordola.

Fordola gives them the opportunity to contrast with how Yotsuyu turned out, but I have a feeling that we're full steam toward Garlemald at this point and those threads in Ala Mihgo will just get left hanging.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I probably would've liked Yotsuyu and her story and the concepts therein if it hadn't been revealed to us with her crying about how she was so evil because her life was terrible just before she "died," after her entire presence in 4.0 had been her being a self-indulgent sadist. Made extra ridiculous by everyone pausing as Gosetsu is literally holding up an entire building from falling on them for her to deliver it.

I think what was there was good, but hoo boy was its execution... something.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Ibblebibble posted:

Whatever your opinions, Tsukuyomi gave us one of the best primal tracks so it's all good.

This.

And thank you for fixing my quote!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's hard to take Asahi seriously when he's doing all these amazing facial expressions. Slow down Asahi, if you keep doing that your eyes will pop out one day :ohdear:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The lengthy soliloquy during a pressing time situation is just the genre, man. There's Chinese novels where dudes have 2 page long conversations while an arrow is flying at them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Everything with Asahi is great because he's obviously evil, everything he's doing was blatantly a trap for Doma and a spitefuck of the WoL in specific, and he got to be smug and chew scenery the whole time because there was nothing anyone involved could do about it besides see it through.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Does anyone have that screenshot of Asahi bent over like a goofball getting up in a Lalafell WoL’s face during his first little outburst?

Now seems like a great time for it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ironslave posted:

I probably would've liked Yotsuyu and her story and the concepts therein if it hadn't been revealed to us with her crying about how she was so evil because her life was terrible just before she "died," after her entire presence in 4.0 had been her being a self-indulgent sadist. Made extra ridiculous by everyone pausing as Gosetsu is literally holding up an entire building from falling on them for her to deliver it.

Yeah it's been a while since I did Doma Castle but it was pre-Garuda Cid scene levels of hmmmmmmmm.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
They made it clear that, between Fordola and Yotsuyuu, somebody was getting redeemed and somebody was going to die. I'm just glad they made the right choice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except they then proceeded to shove Fordola into the "short stories" section of the game, which means we'll never have her show up in the story again.

I wanted her to show up with a badass eyepatch she wears to keep her always-on Echo in check, or some poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If Fordola doesn't show up as a Stormbringers main character, at least on the level of Arenvald in Stormblood, they hosed up. Presumably in an Ascian-focused story they're going to get in to some poo poo on the echo and how resonance reflects on that, also.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ironslave posted:

I dunno, it seemed to be important to Gosetsu choosing to be empathetic later on. Without that moment where she communicates regrets because of near-death lucidity, he would have no reason to believe she could change or trust that her memory loss wasn't a trick.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Asahi gets points for being the first character in 5,000 hours to point out that maybe you should not bring a God to fight the person called xXGodMurderer420Xx

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Gotetsu's biggest fault as a character is that he's so hunky he makes it difficult to choose between him and Raubahn

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

FortMan posted:

You'd see ... a bit more if you returned befire you zoned.

Spoilers for the 68 drk question

The dead Guy is interactable, with the poem:

"Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me die;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lie."

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I've never been around for a new expansion. Do people tend to flock to the job showcased in the previews, e.g. Dragoon in HW and monk/Sam for SB?

Are there gonna be a billion DRK tanks when ShB comes out?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

central dogma posted:

I've never been around for a new expansion. Do people tend to flock to the job showcased in the previews, e.g. Dragoon in HW and monk/Sam for SB?

Are there gonna be a billion DRK tanks when ShB comes out?

generally new classes will get a rush of attention, less so the ones Just showing up in the trailers
Even less so cause DRK is a tank.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I definitely played more drg and mnk than I would have otherwise, because they were the Canonical Jobs

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I've never actually had the canon job leveled before now. I know there's a (very) small amount of extra dialogue in some cutscenes - do I need to actively be playing the canon job to see that, or is it enough to just have the job leveled? DRK isn't my main and I'm not about to switch.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Alakaiser posted:

I've never actually had the canon job leveled before now. I know there's a (very) small amount of extra dialogue in some cutscenes - do I need to actively be playing the canon job to see that, or is it enough to just have the job leveled? DRK isn't my main and I'm not about to switch.

I know Estinien gives you poo poo for being a dragoon leading up to HW and you have to have an active healing job to be yelled at by Krile after the Zeno attack on Rhalgr's Reach.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
I took DRK to 61 then abandoned it in favor of WAR. Even PLD got boring but I'm so close to 70 on WAR as of last night and I've enjoyed the living hell out of it. I can't peg it as to whether DRK requires effort to do it right and people just can't "get gud" or if it's just a weaker tank class as most of the groups i either dps or heal for that a DRK is the tank it tends to be a lot more work for healing.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Azubah posted:

I know Estinien gives you poo poo for being a dragoon leading up to HW and you have to have an active healing job to be yelled at by Krile after the Zeno attack on Rhalgr's Reach.

I think even as a RDM Krile yells at you saying something like, "Can't you heal too, dumbass?'

Kodilynn posted:

I took DRK to 61 then abandoned it in favor of WAR. Even PLD got boring but I'm so close to 70 on WAR as of last night and I've enjoyed the living hell out of it. I can't peg it as to whether DRK requires effort to do it right and people just can't "get gud" or if it's just a weaker tank class as most of the groups i either dps or heal for that a DRK is the tank it tends to be a lot more work for healing.

DRK is a very good tank but I feel like the skill floor is higher for DRK than for PLD or WAR. So bad DRKs are easier to pick out than in the other tanking roles. WAR has several buttons they can push in a reactonary manner to be like 'need health'. PLD can heal themselves if needed or just hit the invincibility button. DRKs biggest tool of that sort is TBN, which means making sure they have enough mp to do so and knowing when to use it, because it's only up for like 7 seconds. To make the best use of TBN you really need to know the fights already, and good TBN use (edit: and MP/blood management) is what separates mediocre DRK players from great ones that are really easy to heal.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 27, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azubah posted:

Yugiri compliments you a few times in 2.X if you unlocked ninja even if it's not your currently active class.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
DRK is really susceptible to bad play, which is too bad because it’s a class that actually scales defensively the more things you’re fighting. WAR is a little comparable with steel cyclone, but then you’re not spamming unleash and, well, gently caress that.

(To wit, quietus with blood weapon gives you back mp for every enemy hit, allowing more TBN and DA Abyssals. The bigger the pull, the more off globals you can hammer between abyssal drains, the more self healing...)

It’s also a class with more mutually exclusive offense/defensive choices. No self heal from souleater if you’re not in grit, no blood weapon unless you’re out of grit, topped with kinda lackluster personal CDs.

I swear by DRK for my expert runs, but a lot of that is how much there is to do in large pulls.

Edit; and DA dark path. That blind adds up, and I will die on the hill that (as it is now) it is by far the most efficient mp to potency ability DRK has at even 2 targets.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except they then proceeded to shove Fordola into the "short stories" section of the game, which means we'll never have her show up in the story again.

To be fair we didn't hear anything from Alisaie after FCOB until she popped up again in 3.4. If anyone's rotting in side content it's Cid, who I think does one thing in each arc before being relegated to the raid for an expansion.