Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

JBP posted:

I'd read a bunch of thoughtful non-hitpiece posts about FO76. Someone itt was enjoying it from memory.

Also yeah the only good games threads are PS4 and Bloodborne.

A couple of us are yeah. For me it pretty much what I was looking for which is more poo poo to explore and murder and light base building. There are some design decisions I don’t like but meh there were some in F4 as well I and put hundreds of hours into that.

I did see a trader cow running the down the road and my wife and I freaked out so I had to chase it down. Turns out it was a super mutant trader so there are some really cool moments in the game still.

Almost got nuked and that was actually fun. It caught my camp and the camp really did look like it got hit by the edges of the blast. Neat touches.

I get that it’s not for everyone and some people are massive disappointed but I wish they just drop it and let the people who are digging it go on instead of raging into the void.

To Tei’s point the “goon ps4 players” thread is pretty devoid of haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This is the most chill thread with the coolest posters

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Akuma posted:

I wish the Fallout 76 thread was more people posting about their experiences with the game and less people who aren't or haven't played it at all taking every possible opportunity to talk about how poo poo it is...

This does make me a little sad, but unsure really as to what I can do. I think those who like the game are few and far between, and I do not like to impose on threads a ban on talking about liking/disliking something. I would suggest just keep posting your positive experiences and eventually people will respond.

Also know that I am sure lurkers would like to read things even if they do not post. I suggest this for everyone really. If you like a game and are fearful of being mocked/embarassed then do not be. Just post your positive experiences. Eventually things will turn around. It only takes a few people to post well and well to turn a thread into a lively discussion of both good and bad.

That is exactly what happened to this thread :)

Also report the worst posts and I will do my best to see if there is anything I can do about them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Oxxidation posted:

if people actually talked about their experiences with fallout 76 it might just encourage others to try it, which would be lose/lose all around

i know some have had an okay experience, but i feel obligated to let people know the game really is a technical mess. it's sometimes hard to tell whether the outrage is blown out of proportion, because the internet loves a whipping boy. but in this case, whilst there is some disinformation and exaggeration, the game really wasn't ready to hit stores. literally every time i sit down to play, within minutes there's a new bug or problem. people say fallout 4 was unpolished at launch; this is on a whole different level. (for fairness sake, i will note some goons have said their games haven't been as bad, but that doesn't negate my experience, and even a lot of those people have had serious technical issues)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

For the record I was talking about the Brotherhood of Goon thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872562&perpage=40

Although VG has inspired me and perhaps it’s time I helped make the F76 thread a better place. :unsmith:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I hope the people playing 76 are having an incredible time, after all you don't get a 51 on metacritic by being unplayable garbage. That's what the first 50 are for.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

This is the most chill thread with the coolest posters
Yeah it's disgusting, right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Tetris Effect should only be played with cranked headphones. It’s such a wild experience. You’re completely in the flow of it but suddenly poo poo gets fast and the music is rising, you make a few mistakes and feel like you’re doomed with only a couple more lines to go. Suddenly you start seeing every possibility and at the last second pull out a glorious victory. Everything wraps up in the most powerful climax and then it fades out. The next game starts up. It’s just...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJ5s_0mylg

I already did. Now play 80% of Yakuza 0 and wimp out like us real big gamer boys do.

The last 20% of Yakuza 0 is the greatest 20% of Yakuza 0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

This does make me a little sad, but unsure really as to what I can do. I think those who like the game are few and far between, and I do not like to impose on threads a ban on talking about liking/disliking something. I would suggest just keep posting your positive experiences and eventually people will respond.

Sometimes there's just not a lot of nice things to say about a game. It's not that they're all actively looking for bad things to bring up, the bad parts just happened and needs to be said. RDR2 has some negative aspects to its design elements brought up, and it still get a lot of praise because it's fundamentally a good game.

CrRoMa posted:

I hope the people playing 76 are having an incredible time, after all you don't get a 51 on metacritic by being unplayable garbage. That's what the first 50 are for.

If people are enjoying it, good for them. The thing is that reviews skew to 70 being the watermark for a merely-average game, and anything between 50 to 69 is generally either the reviewer is trying to say it's a bad game without upsetting the publisher too much, or it can be summed up as "it's boring, crap, or both, but functionally stable". If even IGN's willing to give a Fallout game both barrels with a score of 50, it's not a good sign.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
There is still so much to explore in RDR2 after I finished it. 30% the map still needs to be discovered! I need a boat...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sometimes there's just not a lot of nice things to say about a game. It's not that they're all actively looking for bad things to bring up, the bad parts just happened and needs to be said. RDR2 has some negative aspects to its design elements brought up, and it still get a lot of praise because it's fundamentally a good game.

Absolutely agree, this is why I do not like to impose anything. Every game will have someone that likes it and regardless of what general consensus is there will be outliers. From all reviews and posts it does not look as if Fallout76 is a good game. I am absolutely sure some people are enjoying it and their enjoyment is 100% valid.

They should definitely share their experiences as much as anyone who played it and disliked it. They may discover others who like it or not, but they should definitely be heard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I played RDR2 for an hour before going back to Persona 5. How long does RDR2 take before it lets you off the leash because I really really have had enough of that kind of open world game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Its good for people to be able to talk about what they like about a game, and its also good for people to talk about why they hate it, and then those two types of people can interact as well and discuss.

The posters that irk me are the ones who don't play a game or have any intentions of playing a game, but will spend way too much time and energy talking about why said game is bad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I played RDR2 for an hour before going back to Persona 5. How long does RDR2 take before it lets you off the leash because I really really have had enough of that kind of open world game.

When you get off the snow-capped mountains and settle into Horseshoe Overlook you can pretty much go hog wild. You should be almost there if you've been playing for an hour.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A few hours, like 5 missions. Then you go into open world, and some features will still be behind missions but not to the point that you feel constricted.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

univbee posted:

When you get off the snow-capped mountains and settle into Horseshoe Overlook you can pretty much go hog wild. You should be almost there if you've been playing for an hour.

I think this kind of poo poo just goes back to pacing being so important when you have a long-rear end game. Like the Persona games are all stupid rear end long JRPGs but they're structured in a way that you absolutely can play them for short sessions if you want to, while RDR2 just seems like a long march even by people who like the story.

(the best paced 25+ hour RPG ever was Mass Effect 2. bad pacing is also why I keep going "god Witcher 3 was great I should replay that" and not reinstalling it)

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Just got a pro on Sunday. I've got a ton of great games on loan to get through but need some fun simple couch coops for the wife. We've played overcooked and little big planet but she really wants a Mario Cart style racer, anything like that exist for ps4?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crimpanzee posted:

Just got a pro on Sunday. I've got a ton of great games on loan to get through but need some fun simple couch coops for the wife. We've played overcooked and little big planet but she really wants a Mario Cart style racer, anything like that exist for ps4?

yell at Sega to release a current gen version of Sonic All Stars Racing already

(i'm not aware of a non-shovelware kart racer on the PS4)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like 4 more hours. Persona 5 is a more enjoyable game tbh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crimpanzee posted:

Not a kart racer but ROCKET LEAGUE.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yell at Sega to release a current gen version of Sonic All Stars Racing already

(i'm not aware of a non-shovelware kart racer on the PS4)

What, you mean you're not excited for Team Sonic Racing, the sort of competitive, sort of cooperative new game with worse racing and fewer characters?

Sega is a seriously baffling company. Like you said, the Kart Racing genre is wide-open right now for non-Nintendo consoles. Sega could easily parley that series into something huge if they'd try.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crimpanzee posted:

If you just want some racing fun with weapons to lob at eachother, get the Wipeout Omega Collection.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't like Persona 5, too hand holdy for way too long. I finished the first dungeon and it was still holding my hand.

I'll come back to it eventually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Over There posted:

I didn't like Persona 5, too hand holdy for way too long. I finished the first dungeon and it was still holding my hand.

I'll come back to it eventually.

Persona 5 stops holding your hand after the first dungeon.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Persona 5 stops holding your hand after the first dungeon.

:doh:

At least i don't have to do it all over again

v lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I burned out on Ico because I got sick of all the hand-holding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also quit SOTN halfway through, talk about an asset flip. :rolleyes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

And don't even get me started on all the railroading in RDR2!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

VideoGames posted:

Also report the worst posts and I will do my best to see if there is anything I can do about them.

exquisite tea posted:

And don't even get me started on all the railroading in RDR2!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everyone's a critic.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crimpanzee posted:

Wipeout Omega Collection?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Over There posted:

:doh:

At least i don't have to do it all over again

v lmao

Persona 5 holds your hand for a while because there are a lot of moving parts to it and it's making sure you've got them all down pat. Once it's covered everything once, you're out the door and on your own for the rest of the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My power cut and I lost my entire first dungeon progress on Persona 5 so I decided to just give up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean if you're talking about how it does the drip-feed of new mechanics that's basically every recent game and especially every Rockstar game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I wish I could go back to Chapter 3 and just stay there.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hahah, sorry. I am a modern Mod. We do not ban for making jokes :c00l:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

univbee posted:

Wipeout Omega Collection?

I stopped playing Wipeout for a month and when I went back I found I had lost all skill at it lmao

Game's good as hell

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

I stopped playing Wipeout for a month and when I went back I found I had lost all skill at it lmao

Game's good as hell

Try it in VR with the cockpit camera. You'll never play it any other way again.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Samuringa posted:

I just want every game to come with a random name generator because I'm terrible at thinking of names for anything :(

(Is what you get if you spend several minutes trying to think of a game's name in GameDev Tycoon)

Any time a game allows me to name things, I instantly become twelve years old. GameDev Tycoon was wonderful for this, and led to the best selling action/detective series 'Dick Justice: PI'.

And if you don't type 'rear end' as your favourite food in Earthbound you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Hello this was me for over a year and now it’s one of my top 10 games of all time. It really is good enough to transcend that poo poo.

I'll probably begrudgingly get to it eventually.

quote:

So what is everyone playing right now??? I’m spending more time on my switch atm because I can play Pokemon while catching up on TV, but still getting through Astro Bot, which is just so goddamn good ugh

Now that Spiderman is done I think I am going to spend some time in Kamurocho, while taking occasional breaks to play Hollow Knight. I probably won't start RDR2 for a while, because I suspect that once I do, I'll be lost in it for a while.

Also, finally something to justify my PS4 Pro purchase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMah9liwPyY

My heart weeps for how long Minsc has fallen.