Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
plz don't permatoxx people we only have so many people left here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Nobody's funding or backing a Hillary repeat. And she's too old to do something for a decade and come back. Once you lose a Presidential race, people talk about giving you another shot but nobody gets one since Nixon. Especially when you went up against someone who was widely considered a weak candidate: Hillary got her chance, blew it, and nobody in the party is giving her another one.

There are a lot of things that are forgivable in politics, but failure at that level isn't really one of them.

Especially when your biggest most spectacular loss is your second shot at it and against someone that, by all measures, you should have won against. Getting merked by Obama in 2007-8 is understandable considering the baggage. 2016 was inexcusable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I forgot to but watched her on Colbert the other night. I just don't see her or Harris as having enough fire in their bellies to inspire a Facebook share. They're not bad but they strike me as Lindsey-Graham tier not Trump/Obama/Clinton/Biden tier. They aren't angry and they aren't empathetic, they're just professional. Professional is fine but people don't vote for it in a president.

Biden, Warren and Booker all do have real charisma but they've each managed to shoot themselves in the foot in different ways.Beto has charisma but he's hard to predict about.

evilweasel posted:

Gillibrand strikes me as the sort of person who would be a good, effective president, but a bad candidate. Sort of Al Gore-ish.

:negative:

i kinda-disagree but the question imo is whether she can bring the barn-burning of when she's talking about #metoo / women's issues to a primary campaign

well, it's like the Pelosi Speaker election or a Warren run; if Gillibrand takes the primary she's by definition a good enough candidate, and if she doesn't there's probably reason to believe we wouldn't want her running against the big dumb baby president

still gonna be boostin' her as my backup choice unless someone better runs

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

plz don't permatoxx people we only have so many people left here!

If it's not under threat of perma then he'll just pay the 10 dollars instead of writing the paper! :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

If Evilweasel loses his toxx then I mod challenge him to read Nathan J. Robinson's Superpredator: Bill Clinton's Use and Abuse of Black America and write a 5,000 word analysis/review/refutation/whatever he feels about the book paper about it, or I will permaban him. If he wins the toxx then I will write the paper instead.

:toxx:

:golfclap:

Lightning Knight posted:

If it's not under threat of perma then he'll just pay the 10 dollars instead of writing the paper! :colbert:

Month probes on top of the ban are the usual go-to. But I appreciate the samurai code being applied all the same.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

If Evilweasel loses his toxx then I mod challenge him to read Nathan J. Robinson's Superpredator: Bill Clinton's Use and Abuse of Black America and write a 5,000 word analysis/review/refutation/whatever he feels about the book paper about it, or I will permaban him. If he wins the toxx then I will write the paper instead.

No matter the outcome, we get quality content.

:gritin:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't know about that though -- she keeps popping up in the news cycle for stuff she has been saying, is fairly wealthy herself, and while she has lost establishment pull there are still a lot of diehards loyal to the Clinton camp. She won't win the primary but I can see her trying again to sate her own ego.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1055199009130889216?s=19

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Aidan_702 posted:

Uh, continuing the 5 parliament committee hearing on Facebook and theyre totally cool bro data practices...

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067463345425588226

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067464748617351169

Oooh boi

is there a thread on the forums to follow this more closely? its extremely my poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't know about that though -- she keeps popping up in the news cycle for stuff she has been saying, is fairly wealthy herself, and while she has lost establishment pull there are still a lot of diehards loyal to the Clinton camp. She won't win the primary but I can see her trying again to sate her own ego.

the last time she popped up in the news cycle it was fox news pushing it, with help from mark penn (who is persona non grata in the clinton sphere due to his hilarious incompetence in the 2008 primaries and was pissed off he wasn't part of the team in 2016)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Maryland's re-elected Republican governor Hogan just came out against gerrymandering in his state that sends 7 Democrats and 1 Republican to Congress. Definitely a good place to start :thumbsup:

Don't elect Republicans to anything.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1067415394279936000

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you are being hugely charitable to the donor class and the centrist wing of the party here but we're arguing hypotheticals at this point so I will agree to disagree. Mad respect that you toxx'd on it tho. :hai:

The donor class will have like 50 other horses in 2020 to choose from, and anyone shown to be in their back pocket will automatically be scratched from primary voters' list of "trustables".

I appreciate your distrust of them--lord knows, it's warranted, given their history--but they're going to tell Hillary to pound sand not because it's the moral thing to do but because it's financially in their best interests. Hillary 2020 would be akin to burning a big pile of cash on the front lawn.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

I would say "troubling times," but you seem up to the task. Luck be with you! :patriot:

Just FYI, I edited my post to be more clear (and fix the typo). Don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Hillary’s not going to run because literally every person in the world knows she won’t win, and she doesn’t have the appetite for yet another humiliating public loss. A vanity run makes sense if you’re trying to get a message out or build a brand, but she’s doing neither. The only reason she’d run is if she genuinely thought she could win, and while Hillary is a lot of bad things, she’s not cuckoo bananas delusional.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

evilweasel posted:

the last time she popped up in the news cycle it was fox news pushing it, with help from mark penn (who is persona non grata in the clinton sphere due to his hilarious incompetence in the 2008 primaries and was pissed off he wasn't part of the team in 2016)

Also Thanksgiving alongside a few other centrist has-beens pushing tougher stances on immigration in Europe

Although since that was released right on Thanksgiving she was probably trying to bury it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The donor class will have like 50 other horses in 2020 to choose from, and anyone shown to be in their back pocket will automatically be scratched from primary voters' list of "trustables".

I appreciate your distrust of them--lord knows, it's warranted, given their history--but they're going to tell Hillary to pound sand not because it's the moral thing to do but because it's financially in their best interests. Hillary 2020 would be akin to burning a big pile of cash on the front lawn.

I would argue that when you're talking about the rich and powerful, burning a big pile of cash on the front lawn is almost a pastime for them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

selec posted:

I mean, it's as plausible as any other explanation for her demented loyalty.

Eh Hillary is notable for returning loyalty to an extent that it actually causes her problems because she keeps people around who are total fuckups she should ditch. That and Huma's personal life blowing up and I can totally see her going all-in on Hill Street Blues.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Just FYI, I edited my post to be more clear (and fix the typo). Don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily.

I await your performance with unchallenged patience. :lofty:
I toxxed that Trump would get voted out of office so we'll see who goes first!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

ok, as long as this is only about the 2020 iowa caucuses, because otherwise you can never lose because she could be a declared candidate in 2024 :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Hillary’s not going to run because literally every person in the world knows she won’t win, and she doesn’t have the appetite for yet another humiliating public loss. A vanity run makes sense if you’re trying to get a message out or build a brand, but she’s doing neither. The only reason she’d run is if she genuinely thought she could win, and while Hillary is a lot of bad things, she’s not cuckoo bananas delusional.

Y'all need to spend some time around rich powerful people. They are cuckoo bananas delusional.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

ok, as long as this is only about the 2020 iowa caucuses, because otherwise you can never lose because she could be a declared candidate in 2024 :v:

Yep it's based on what you toxxed for.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Z. Autobahn posted:

She has the clout and the stubbornness, but she may pull an Obama with Trump and just wait another 4 years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Shush, you. I want to see what happens when a mod flies too close to the sun. :sun:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

RaySmuckles posted:

is there a thread on the forums to follow this more closely? its extremely my poo poo
It's over now but if you want to watch it from the start
https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/3a4aa6e1-058c-4c88-9648-b94b26ebcef5

There was also a Guardian live blog
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...rg-live-updates

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Also Thanksgiving alongside a few other centrist has-beens pushing tougher stances on immigration in Europe

Although since that was released right on Thanksgiving she was probably trying to bury it

i don't think she's going to shut up and go away forever. she clearly wants to still be relevant, she's been in politics for a long time because she thinks she's very competent and knows the right thing to do and wants to do it. and as long as she doesn't run for president again, she still has a lot of influence and connections. it's just that that influence and those connections are entirely useless for another presidential run.

i have no doubt that if you asked her, she'd say she'd make a great president, a better president than anyone else running in 2020. but i also am certain she knows she can't win the 2020 primaries, as does everyone who would need to support her run to get off the ground.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Y'all need to spend some time around rich powerful people. They are cuckoo bananas delusional.

the reason rich people get that way is they don't face consequences and/or they're rich because they're the one that got very very lucky. hillary suffered a bad loss in 2008 and a humiliating loss in 2016, one that people probably won't ever forgive her for. she knows there's a downside to running.

also, by all accounts, she loathes campaigning. I could see bill running a doomed campaign for the fun of it. I cannot see hillary running a doomed campaign for the fun of it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you are being hugely charitable to the donor class and the centrist wing of the party here but we're arguing hypotheticals at this point so I will agree to disagree. Mad respect that you toxx'd on it tho. :hai:
Oh gently caress, now I have to defend evilweasel.

It's not that he's being charitable to the "Washington insider" class, he just happens to be right that inside the beltway the notion of another Clinton presidential bid is laughable even to her former supporters. Sure the Clintons are still highly influential among the centrist elite but in this case it doesn't transfer into doing well in the invisible primary, when you have to line up support, infrastructure, logistics, the works. You don't just decide "hey I'm going to run for the Democratic nomination," sign some papers and get the ball rolling. While Clinton's run is (very) hypothetical her status in the party is a fact. I won't toxx myself against the outside possibility of her running anyway, but it is highly improbable and would be doomed from the start, and would sink the Clintons' status even deeper, which like everyone in DC is what they care about the most.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

RaySmuckles posted:

hillary's third run

Hillary is this generations William Jennings Bryan.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Yep it's based on what you toxxed for.

technically my toxx wasn't specific about which future iowa caucus, if she runs in the 2024 iowa caucuses you could ban me and that would adhere to the strict wording of my toxx heh

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

Maryland's re-elected Republican governor Hogan just came out against gerrymandering in his state that sends 7 Democrats and 1 Republican to Congress. Definitely a good place to start :thumbsup:

buddy,

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

technically my toxx wasn't specific about which future iowa caucus, if she runs in the 2024 iowa caucuses you could ban me and that would adhere to the strict wording of my toxx heh

:colbert: It's about 2020 because if somehow Hillary Clinton is running for president in 2024 I won't give a gently caress about Something Awful toxxes lol.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think a vanity run is possible to try and build a "legacy" so she can go down in history as a winner instead of just the person who lost a presidential election to Donald loving Trump. Maybe she picks a couple of core issues, probably related to women's rights, campaigns in the primaries about restoring decorum and decency in America, then endorses another female candidate for the general. She did it! She fulfilled her destiny of helping elect the first woman POTUS!

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Plenty are, for sure, but I don't think Hillary is. She's always been profoundly risk-averse, if anything, avoiding anything big or bold in favor of safe, focus-tested routes in what are expected to be easy-victory contests. Hillary's whole thing is running when the road's been clear and she's presumed to win. Running a longshot darkhorse campaign is the opposite of her brand.

Crabtree posted:

She has the clout and the stubbornness, but she may pull an Obama with Trump and just wait another 4 years.

The Dem who runs in 2020 has, at a very minimum, a good shot, so odds are it's for 8 years, not 4, and her health wasn't great in 2016. Hillary's done. She might jockey for a Cabinet position or at the very most VP, but she's never campaigning again.

Pellisworth posted:

I think a vanity run is possible to try and build a "legacy" so she can go down in history as a winner instead of just the person who lost a presidential election to Donald loving Trump. Maybe she picks a couple of core issues, probably related to women's rights, campaigns in the primaries about restoring decorum and decency in America, then endorses another female candidate for the general. She did it! She fulfilled her destiny of helping elect the first woman POTUS!

LOL you don't cement a legacy as a winner by... losing again, and in an even more humiliating manner. If her strategy was to endorse another woman candidate and help her win, she could just... do... that... without the humiliation of coming in 6th in Iowa.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

Party Plane Jones posted:

dear loving god until mcafee finally eats his own dick i'm gonna have to ask people stop posting his insanity

it ain't USPOL and it ain't news and we really don't need to know his sexual fetishes itt

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

evilweasel posted:

the reason rich people get that way is they don't face consequences and/or they're rich because they're the one that got very very lucky. hillary suffered a bad loss in 2008 and a humiliating loss in 2016, one that people probably won't ever forgive her for. she knows there's a downside to running.

She wrote a book that said "I did everything right and BERNIE promised them a pony! I'm a realist!"; it was actually a trial balloon that got her six months of slobjobs from the usual suspects. While I'm not saying it's guaranteed she's doing EVERYTHING you would do if you were planning to run again.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

That isn’t how any of this works. At least in her “legacy”’s current state she can whine about how populism and misogyny ostensibly sank her bid as (extremely Peter Daou voice) the most qualified presidential candidate ever. She runs again despite no one at any level of the party supporting her candidacy, and it becomes all the more clear that it’s just about her ego. That would look awful.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

there's only one way to prevent hillary clinton from running again *crosses out "hillary" on ballot and scribbles in "chelsea"*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stexils posted:

there's only one way to prevent hillary clinton from running again *crosses out "hillary" on ballot and scribbles in "chelsea"*

centrism fan account something awful parachute spotted.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
There's a little bit of me that's thankful I don't have to spend the next 8 years defending and sighing at President Hillary Clinton. That was gonna suck.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well she has no reason to pretend. she is gone in 2020 so why care.

I like how the UK just doesn't give a poo poo and is fine with drowning facebook in the tub.

Remember when we had a Committee Hearing where Facebook was getting hammered, and then our Senate Minority Leader and all around good guy Chuck Schumer put a stop to it because his daughter works there?!

What party is he is the senate minority leader of again? Good Times, Good Times! :waycool:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Corporate Media Orders Mandatory Segments Defending Tear-Gassing of Children:

https://twitter.com/pamela_vogel/status/1067474802552840193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You guys are totally glossing over the fact that every rich person thinks they are a brain super-genius and that they learned all the right lessons from their last failure and are going to be a super-success at this one.

Hillary has a PAC, she has a committee, she wrote a book exonerating herself, she's stayed in the media. She's running.