Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but is there a Goon recommended HDMI switcher? I have too few inputs for all my poo poo I want to plug in

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FMZGQ3M

I have that one and it works fine. Detects everything rear end 4k with HDR with zero issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

smoobles posted:

Whoa you weren't kidding about the premium...

What makes a $3,000 Samsung QLED so terrible to the point that a $5,500 Sony is better?

I am out of the loop on TVs.
The 900F should only be about $4500 nowadays.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x900f-vs-samsung-q6fn/585/623
You can look through this list and see if there's anything you really care about there. If all you want is a really huge TV for under $2500 then I'd suppose the Q6 fits that bill, but I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that much on that particular TV.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

smoobles posted:

Is QLED worth paying more for?

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/learn/qled-vs-oled/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is a propaganda-free thread, thank you.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
X900F 85 is actually on Massdrop right now for $4200, for what it's worth.

The 77" C8 OLED has gone as low as $4600.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why did Samsung stop making OLEDs anyway?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Why did Samsung stop making OLEDs anyway?

Mainly because their approach was RGB and LG had a patent on all white LEDs with a filter. RGB was just harder and more expensive to implement.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Do TVs with Google Assistant or chromecast integration need to be powered on to connect and work with Google Home? We currently use a chromecast connected to to our tvs HDMI port which lets us turn the tv on and off with voice commands, but I can't figure out of we change to one of the newer tvs with webos or Android tv will do the same or if they arent actually connected if not powered on.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Mainly because their approach was RGB and LG had a patent on all white LEDs with a filter. RGB was just harder and more expensive to implement.

Ah thanks. LG's patent expires next year or so right? I'd love to see a Panasonic OLED

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah thanks. LG's patent expires next year or so right? I'd love to see a Panasonic OLED

Panasonic made an OLED a year or two back.

E: I believe it was an LG panel, so I’m guessing you mean a 100% Panasonic produced panel?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah cool. I was (am) obsessed with their plasmas.

I guess then I can't wait to see what they do when the patent expires

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Their best plasma work was after they inherited the Pioneer tech when they got out of the market. Shame they didn’t go to LG for the advent of mass market OLEDs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want a new TV for my living room for under 800, what's good at that price point? I checked out a few of the display models at Costco but I don't know what really makes a TV worth 500 more than another same sized the or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you guys help make me a decision between these two budget TCL TVs?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-1080p-2017-s305

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-s405-s425

The 4K one seems like the better option on paper but I’m going to be using this for gaming only on Nintendo systems and none of those support 4K. I’m also somewhat concerned on SD content looking better so would the 1080p one be a better option in that case?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

PokeJoe posted:

I want a new TV for my living room for under 800, what's good at that price point? I checked out a few of the display models at Costco but I don't know what really makes a TV worth 500 more than another same sized the or whatever.

Check out the TCL 6 series. 55R615/65R615 at Best Buy for $599/$799. 55R617/65R617 elsewhere with a voice remote.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Note that the $800 price on the 65" is a Cyber Monday deal, it’s usually out of your range. Also the Vizio P series is a little better but usually not worth the price difference, but currently has a deal where the 55" is $650.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Why is it impossible to find a low/mid-30s-inch 1080p TV? I've had this 26" 720p TV for almost 12 years now. It's 2018 and I can STILL only find televisions that are bigger, but the same resolution. The difference between 720p and 1080p even at computer monitor sizes are almost appalling, so what the hell is up with these 720p displays in 32 and 36 inch TVs? I don't want some massive 45-inch TV for my bedroom. I just want to upgrade from this heinous Westinghouse TV to something slightly bigger and capable of 1080p. So far in my area I have only ever been able to find old, refurbished Vizio units in that category.

Also, for all these TVs with legs you have to put on the exact edges of the screen - it's still possible to replace them with a regular old center base, right? Otherwise I'm also going to need to find some way to add two feet to the width of the TV space on my media center

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Why is it impossible to find a low/mid-30s-inch 1080p TV? I've had this 26" 720p TV for almost 12 years now. It's 2018 and I can STILL only find televisions that are bigger, but the same resolution. The difference between 720p and 1080p even at computer monitor sizes are almost appalling, so what the hell is up with these 720p displays in 32 and 36 inch TVs? I don't want some massive 45-inch TV for my bedroom. I just want to upgrade from this heinous Westinghouse TV to something slightly bigger and capable of 1080p. So far in my area I have only ever been able to find old, refurbished Vizio units in that category.

Also, for all these TVs with legs you have to put on the exact edges of the screen - it's still possible to replace them with a regular old center base, right? Otherwise I'm also going to need to find some way to add two feet to the width of the TV space on my media center

TCL 32" 1080p Roku TV: https://www.amazon.com/TCL-32S327-32-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B07F981R8M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543259853&sr=8-3&keywords=tcl+32+inch+smart+tv

And yes they almost all have VESA mounts on the back and you can just replace with a universal stand. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=universal+vesa+stand

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

I am slowly coming to terms that for pretty much everything these days I should just face to Amazon. Thanks for the links

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I am slowly coming to terms that for pretty much everything these days I should just face to Amazon. Thanks for the links

Best Buy has the same TV as well.

Some dude is selling a bunch of them for 140 it looks like?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Whenever I read reviews of OLED tv's they always mention how they don't get as bright as LCD/LED tv's. I'm in the market for a new flatscreen and considering LG's C8 series in a 55" model, but how worried should I be about watching movies/gaming during the daytime? The living room in my apartment gets a fair amount of light - I can pull the curtains, of course, and five days a week I'm at work anyway, but is it gonna be annoying come summer time?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Eight Is Legend posted:

Whenever I read reviews of OLED tv's they always mention how they don't get as bright as LCD/LED tv's. I'm in the market for a new flatscreen and considering LG's C8 series in a 55" model, but how worried should I be about watching movies/gaming during the daytime? The living room in my apartment gets a fair amount of light - I can pull the curtains, of course, and five days a week I'm at work anyway, but is it gonna be annoying come summer time?

I put the OLED light at max (not to be confused with brightness) and in my literal sunroom I can see everything great. Just be sure to change it because most settings default it at 50.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you guys help make me a decision between these two budget TCL TVs?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-1080p-2017-s305

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-s405-s425

The 4K one seems like the better option on paper but I’m going to be using this for gaming only on Nintendo systems and none of those support 4K. I’m also somewhat concerned on SD content looking better so would the 1080p one be a better option in that case?

I was worried about 720p and 1080p stuff up scaling like poo poo on my 4k TV and to tell you the truth I can't detect any up scaling at all (no more than I could on my 1080p TV). Keep in mind mine is an OLED though so I am not sure if that matters.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was worried about 720p and 1080p stuff up scaling like poo poo on my 4k TV and to tell you the truth I can't detect any up scaling at all (no more than I could on my 1080p TV). Keep in mind mine is an OLED though so I am not sure if that matters.

I’m honestly more concerned about 480p content looking like total poo poo on a 4K screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No amount of wizardry is going to make SD content look passable on a modern TV.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

No amount of wizardry is going to make SD content look passable on a modern TV.

Yeah but will it look worse on a 4K screen than a 1080p one since there’s more upscaling?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just wish they'd loving release Frasier in HD

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah but will it look worse on a 4K screen than a 1080p one since there’s more upscaling?

Think about it for a second. 480p upscaled looks like garbage not because of upscaling, but because it's missing detail. If you upscale to a 4K TV or a 1080p TV of the same size, it's missing the same amount of detail. Sure, 4K might mean you'll get more pixels per upsampling artefact, but it's the same upsampling artefact.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jan posted:

Think about it for a second. 480p upscaled looks like garbage not because of upscaling, but because it's missing detail. If you upscale to a 4K TV or a 1080p TV of the same size, it's missing the same amount of detail. Sure, 4K might mean you'll get more pixels per upsampling artefact, but it's the same upsampling artefact.

Ah, I see. I shouldn’t notice much difference with SD content on a 4K tv then? I thought my 1080p tv did a decent enough job with it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
This is subjective of course, but probably not!

Although that's not factoring in any post-processing/filtering that some TVs might apply. But for 480p, that basically goes back to "No amount of wizardry is going to make SD content look passable on a modern TV."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alright, thanks. I’ll try the TCL S405. It can’t be any worse than my 7 year old Samsung.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watch a lot of TV with an antenna, so there's quite a few subchannels with old shows.

What I've found is that shows from the 70's and 80's that were filmed in video look like poo poo. They've always looked like poo poo, but when 24 inches was a big screen, you didn't notice.

Shows from that era that were filmed on film and edited on video look decent enough. I'd say it looks like a cheap DVD, could be better, but it's passable enough.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Got my TCL S405. Got a cluster of dead pixels near one of the corners. Guess that's all part of the panel lottery...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m honestly more concerned about 480p content looking like total poo poo on a 4K screen.

Well yeah I'm feeding my old game consoles into a Framemeister and it looks great. 480p on a 4k TV.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just... I dunno why all the work to use the actual consoles. We have ours on display but if I wanna play any of that stuff I'll just use retroarch on the Shield.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

codo27 posted:

I just... I dunno why all the work to use the actual consoles. We have ours on display but if I wanna play any of that stuff I'll just use retroarch on the Shield.

Emulators aren’t super accurate, especially the lovely ones in Retroarch.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any chance of getting a 65” Samsung Q6F for $1300 this year still? They were like $1297 everywhere a few weeks ago but are back up to $1600+ everywhere now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rock My Socks! posted:

Any chance of getting a 65” Samsung Q6F for $1300 this year still? They were like $1297 everywhere a few weeks ago but are back up to $1600+ everywhere now.

There's a chance of more discounts around Christmas time, is my guess.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don't really know what the best solution to this problem is, but it's based around my TV so I'll post here first.

I have an LG C7 hooked up to an Onkyo home theater system feeding audio from through the TV to the onkyo via optical cable. This works great for the built in apps or plugging the laptop in via HDMI.

But I want to use the onkyo system to listen to stuff off of SoundCloud in a method that is less clunky than HDMI/wireless displaying to the TV, or just throwing an aux cord into a phone running the app. Ideally this solution gives me remote control of playback/browsing.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Chromecast audio and the Soundcloud app on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got the C8 today, and after a quick run to the hardware store to get longer mounting screws, everything seems to be working great. Games are fuckin gorgeous. All of the first party Sony stuff is so good looking I can't believe it.