Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

indigi posted:

is the Sprint iPhone forever plan worth it?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

indigi posted:

is the Sprint iPhone forever plan worth it?

Not sure what you mean by "worth it." If you are okay with paying $40 per month (or whatever it is for an iPhone these days) to use the phone in exchange for a guaranteed annual upgrade, then sure, go for it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Going directly through apple is probably the better option. With the new phones being carrier agnostic, I would rather be tied to Apple then Sprint. Plus Apple comes with Applecare as part of their plan.

Tony Danza
Dec 21, 2004
And How!
I know this thread is pretty much dead but does anyone work at Sprint anymore? I'm hoping to migrate my 2 lines to SWAC.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Finally switched to Project Fi. My phone hasn't once connected to Sprint towers in the 72hrs I've had it, confirming my decision.

Bye, Sprint. We had some good years, mostly around the LG Lotus flagship times. But the slowness and connectivity issues just weren't worth the price any more.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
If you ever feel nostalgic, you an use the #*#*34 dialer codes.

Sprint would be *#*#34777#*#*

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I went to a Sprint store this weekend to look at Apple devices and compare how they handled and weight and the phones were stuck to the display. They could not be lifted.

Anyway that’s my Sprint Sucks story.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

effika posted:

Finally switched to Project Fi. My phone hasn't once connected to Sprint towers in the 72hrs I've had it, confirming my decision.

Bye, Sprint. We had some good years, mostly around the LG Lotus flagship times. But the slowness and connectivity issues just weren't worth the price any more.

I'm thinking of doing this because I just moved to a new house (which is legit down the road from my old place) and I am constantly roaming in my own house or getting 3G and Sprint says I should have full LTE. I had a Pixel 1 and they told me it was probably the phone (bullshit), then I got a Pixel 3 and surprise still roaming so then they claimed it was because they don't guarantee service on BYOD. Give me a break.

These are probably broader dumb questions but I've been with Sprint since 2011 and I'm tired of their poo poo so, what was the cancellation process like for Sprint and is Project Fi working out for you? Can you use the same number? Do I just activate Fi on my phone and I'm good?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

I went to a Sprint store this weekend to look at Apple devices and compare how they handled and weight and the phones were stuck to the display. They could not be lifted.

Anyway that’s my Sprint Sucks story.

Verizon locks them down too now. People lift it, use whatever type of cutter to cut the cord and run out with the phone. Obviously not everyday, but it definitely happens.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm thinking of doing this because I just moved to a new house (which is legit down the road from my old place) and I am constantly roaming in my own house or getting 3G and Sprint says I should have full LTE. I had a Pixel 1 and they told me it was probably the phone (bullshit), then I got a Pixel 3 and surprise still roaming so then they claimed it was because they don't guarantee service on BYOD. Give me a break.

These are probably broader dumb questions but I've been with Sprint since 2011 and I'm tired of their poo poo so, what was the cancellation process like for Sprint and is Project Fi working out for you? Can you use the same number? Do I just activate Fi on my phone and I'm good?

The only issue I had was I had to deactivate the Google Voice integration that I had through Sprint, not even sure if they still support that so it might not be an issue. I'm using the same number, I think you just need some info from your Sprint account to fill in the online form for Fi and that takes care of it, various ID numbers I forget the names of but were found in account settings on sprint's site iirc. Pretty sure that did it and when I logged in on Sprint it listed my device as deactivated after I installed the Fi sim card.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

It was super easy!

You need:
The account holder’s name (the main one, if it's not the only line)

Sprint account number (usually a 9-digit number)

Sprint PIN/passcode (usually a 6- to 10-digit number, can be found online or from calling Sprint to set one up as the main account holder)

I did a late port into Fi (I wanted to try the service for a few days) and the Fi rep was super helpful. My number ported before they even finished typing the "it can take up to 72hrs etc" stuff.

The Sprint line closed, but I'm still waiting on the final bill to be calculated and posted. They say give it a week? :shrug:

I got a call the next day from a very nice lady who wanted to talk with me about why I'd closed a 20-year old line. I felt bad for her, because she got very quickly that there was nothing they could do to get me back but still needed to go through the script. She was nice so it was a pleasant few minutes.

"So you switched because the speeds were slow and had not gotten faster in years? I can offer you a new phone to help with that, what one do you have currently? Oh, a Pixel 3? That's a very nice phone. I don't have anything that can match that. I have some really good plans I can offer that aren't publicly available, let's see how they look compared to your old one... Oh, I see you were already on an unlimited plan. Wow, you had one of our better plans, too. And how much is your new plan? Oh, Um. Well, I can list our plans for you if you'd like. No? Ok, well, thank you for being such a loyal Sprint customer for so many years. Have a great day!"

But we've had lines there for so long that we get a call center in Tulsa when we call support and they've sent my mom a free phone when hers broke so not everyone may get a call. My parents are still on Sprint but it works good enough for them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think I'm done with them too, I can't imagine there's no better offer for what I'm paying monthly and they are the #4 consistently. It can't get worse..literally.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Whatever happened to the Sprint / T-Mobile deal? Seemed like big news, hearings made good arguments, then silence.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Tim Whatley posted:

Granted I didn't have the Google Voice integration with Sprint (I had Sprint *and* I had a GV number) but it was smooth sailing.

Be sure to have someone from this thread refer you if you're looking to switch! I originally wasn't planning on staying with Fi (since there are cheaper options) so I stupidly didn't enter a referral code on joining.

Edit:
Here's mine https://g.co/fi/r/4MA2C6

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 25, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I use a ton of data on my phone, which is why I've stuck with SERO this long. Fi interests me but I did the math and my usage makes it quite a bit more expensive.

Unfortunately it's looking like my new house has pretty rough Sprint reception, so I might need to start shopping around. Or are Air Raves still a thing?

I can see myself going a little lower on data, but I frequently have to view large attachments and videos for work, and I'm not always near WiFi.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks all for the help. Maybe I'll transfer next week if someone wants to drop a referral code. My current Sprint plan is straight $60/month for unlimited everything and theoretically I could see myself hitting the 6GB limit on Fi often which would be $80/month but if it will fluctuate and ultimately give me much better service I'm fine with that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Medullah posted:

I use a ton of data on my phone, which is why I've stuck with SERO this long. Fi interests me but I did the math and my usage makes it quite a bit more expensive.

Unfortunately it's looking like my new house has pretty rough Sprint reception, so I might need to start shopping around. Or are Air Raves still a thing?

I can see myself going a little lower on data, but I frequently have to view large attachments and videos for work, and I'm not always near WiFi.

Sprint did offer (and may still offer) a home router with AC WiFi, and Sprint firmware tuned to optimize WiFi calling. I have one, works fine.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I use WiFi calling a lot because I work from home and on an old SERO plan I only get 500 minutes and WiFi calling doesn’t count toward that. It works very well and I would recommend it strongly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Thanks all for the help. Maybe I'll transfer next week if someone wants to drop a referral code. My current Sprint plan is straight $60/month for unlimited everything and theoretically I could see myself hitting the 6GB limit on Fi often which would be $80/month but if it will fluctuate and ultimately give me much better service I'm fine with that.

If you stay for 30 days we get $20 of credits, so I hope you like it! https://g.co/fi/r/0W79VP

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LorneReams posted:

I use WiFi calling a lot because I work from home and on an old SERO plan I only get 500 minutes and WiFi calling doesn’t count toward that. It works very well and I would recommend it strongly.

Yeah I use Hangouts for calling, so minutes aren't an issue.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

LorneReams posted:

This is me exactly, the only thing I'm missing is tethering. That said I've been noticing almost as many dead spots in town as during the whole "Network Vision is coming!" era. I've been looking to jump but I do like the subsidized phones every 2 years, if that ever goes so do I.

Related: If I call in to quit what are the odds I could talk retentions into throwing in tethering to keep me after a decade plus?

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is me exactly, the only thing I'm missing is tethering. That said I've been noticing almost as many dead spots in town as during the whole "Network Vision is coming!" era. I've been looking to jump but I do like the subsidized phones every 2 years, if that ever goes so do I.

Related: If I call in to quit what are the odds I could talk retentions into throwing in tethering to keep me after a decade plus?

No advice on retentions, but let us know how it goes. I've also been noticing crappy connections recently, dropping down to 3G or 1x way too frequently. I've only got a couple weeks left on my SERO contract that I've also had for 10+ years, then I'm going to find some way to get onto Verizon's network.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Pdanet+ has WiFi direct hotspot which works for me on my locked device. Worth a shot

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Pdanet+ has WiFi direct hotspot which works for me on my locked device. Worth a shot

Every time I tried to use PDA Net with Sprint it would just prompt me to get the hotspot added to my plan. :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Medullah posted:

Every time I tried to use PDA Net with Sprint it would just prompt me to get the hotspot added to my plan. :(

Yeah that's with the standard hotspot, they have a new mode though called direct which you connect via proxy WiFi and that bypasses it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The only reason I Root my phone has been to just enable hotspot these days. Easier than trying to get it to work with a 3rd party app in my experience, but I have been doing this a long time.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

My previous phone died.

I picked up a new Moto X4, and decided not to root it.
PDANet+ works for me versus Sprint, but it's not as seamless as "Android creates a plain hotspot that anyone can connect with"

If you mostly tether from one laptop to your phone, there's a PDANet client that communicates to the phone via tether.
It works well.

If you need to connect more than one laptop, the PDANet client has some type of "share mode", which seems to work.

I'm sure that there are other use cases this may fail on, but for a non-root solution with Sprint, it does the trick.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was looking at getting a new phone, and it appears there is no way to get one outside of paying in full or a lease. I'm not against a lease as it seems like its just a purchase plan, but the fact they don't spell out the residual bothers me. Is there a way to figure out the terms of the lease options before I accept? I couldn't find them anywhere.

Also, is there a subsidized phone plan at all anymore? They used to take a few hundred off every other year.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Can someone tell me the process of activating a Pixel on Sprint?

I am interested in the Pixel 3 but I am a complete dumbass about phone tech. Is it as easy as asking Sprint for a SIM and giving them the IMEI?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

rhombus posted:

No advice on retentions, but let us know how it goes. I've also been noticing crappy connections recently, dropping down to 3G or 1x way too frequently. I've only got a couple weeks left on my SERO contract that I've also had for 10+ years, then I'm going to find some way to get onto Verizon's network.

I've also been seeing much worse service lately. It almost seems like with the possible merger, sprint is just not maintaining their equipment and is letting things revert to their legacy backups as equipment fails.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bradzilla posted:

I am interested in the Pixel 3 but I am a complete dumbass about phone tech. Is it as easy as asking Sprint for a SIM and giving them the IMEI?

Yep it's pretty much that. Not that big of a deal at all with Pixels.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bradzilla posted:

That's exactly what I did to activate my Pixel. I had good luck with the chat support. You request a SIM kit for the Pixel and they'll mail it to you. Then once you get the SIM, you chat again and give them the phone IMEI and the ICCID of the SIM.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

effika posted:

If you stay for 30 days we get $20 of credits, so I hope you like it! https://g.co/fi/r/0W79VP

Just signed up with this referral code, cheers

When I called Sprint to cancel they told me they saw the phone number transfer on the account so my account would close automatically on Sprint. Guess that works?

Was roaming and cutting in/out of 3G in my own house which is in a regular neighborhood in one of the most populated cities in New Hampshire, now I instantly have full LTE. Feels good. So long, Sprint.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 1, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Just signed up with this referral code, cheers

When I called Sprint to cancel they told me they saw the phone number transfer on the account so my account would close automatically on Sprint. Guess that works?

Was roaming and cutting in/out of 3G in my own house which is in a regular neighborhood in one of the most populated cities in New Hampshire, now I instantly have full LTE. Feels good. So long, Sprint.

Yes, it automatically closes. They still haven't generated my final bill, but there's no line on the account.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

After 14 years on my SERO line, I finally switched. My contract was up and I didn't see a way to purchase a new phone online with the good discount, and the network kept getting worse in my area. I never actually used very much of my unlimited data, so I'm now testing out Red Pocket's prepaid service on Verizon. I bought a month of coverage on eBay when they were offering 15% off of everything for less than 30 bucks. My wife is still on her SERO line, but if things work out I'll move her over too.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I use like 40 gigs of data so I don't think I can ever oeave Sero :(

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Harminoff posted:

I use like 40 gigs of data so I don't think I can ever oeave Sero :(

:same:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Why does Sprint make it effing impossible to get a SIM card. Trying to upgrade my Pixel to a Pixel 3 and the website errors when I try to complete my transaction, I try to do chat and it's not available, and when I try the wizard it won't let me select "keep my current SERO plan because I've got Stockholm syndrome". I'm going to go into a store but based on my experience with the Pixel 1 getting a card in a store is impossible.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Medullah posted:

Why does Sprint make it effing impossible to get a SIM card. Trying to upgrade my Pixel to a Pixel 3 and the website errors when I try to complete my transaction, I try to do chat and it's not available, and when I try the wizard it won't let me select "keep my current SERO plan because I've got Stockholm syndrome". I'm going to go into a store but based on my experience with the Pixel 1 getting a card in a store is impossible.

Corporate stores should have what you need; it's the same sim as the new iPhones take. When I was still considering staying with Sprint I found this S4GRU post with the SKUs: Sprint Pixel 3 SIM Compatibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I went to a sprint store when I got my essential and got the sim card in a couple of minutes. Kept my sero as well, no hassle.

I left and realized that I didn't get any paperwork with how much it cost, so no idea until I get my next bill.