Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stexils posted:

there's only one way to prevent hillary clinton from running again *crosses out "hillary" on ballot and scribbles in "chelsea"*

aoc reveals she's one of bill's many secret bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You guys are totally glossing over the fact that every rich person thinks they are a brain super-genius and that they learned all the right lessons from their last failure and are going to be a super-success at this one.

Hillary has a PAC, she has a committee, she wrote a book exonerating herself, she's stayed in the media. She's running.

Toxx on it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You guys are totally glossing over the fact that every rich person thinks they are a brain super-genius and that they learned all the right lessons from their last failure and are going to be a super-success at this one.

Hillary has a PAC, she has a committee, she wrote a book exonerating herself, she's stayed in the media. She's running.

A few tweets and some Hill clickbait don't equate to "staying in the media". By Hillary standards she's been practically invisible. She also doesn't run in races where she isn't absolutely assured of victory (even if she ends up being wrong). Someone upthread made the excellent point that it just isn't her brand to run longshot campaigns. and they were right. The book was to salve her own wounded ego, not to prep for Hillary 2020. She's not running.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Toxx on it.

Ah cool, a bet that predicates on the behavior of someone I've never met personally where I can only lose. No thanks.

I'm just giving my opinion here, man.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ah cool, a bet that predicates on the behavior of someone I've never met personally where I can only lose. No thanks.

But enough about voting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Census lawsuit final arguments are not going well for the government.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/106748132767765

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?
Hahahah McAfee's current state is kind of how I imagine Avenatti will end up, living in Costa Rica or some similar locale shooting out unhinged tweets full of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and videos of him drinking with his shirt off :lol:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Actually from this point forward:

:siren: If you want to talk about if Hillary Clinton (or any other candidate) will run in 2020, or will not run, in this thread you have to toxx on it. If you don't want to toxx on it, then take it to the 2020 candidates thread. This does not apply to candidates who have officially declared. :siren:

Edit: for the record, it appears that technically speaking I am toxxed for Hillary to run lol.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 27, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wtf that was real?

Holy balls

I guess he's living. . . A dream, anyway

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Evan_Rosenfeld/status/1067483766661074944

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Other issue post:

Let's talk about licensing. The Obama Administration did a study where Occupational Licensing only leads to unemployment, is not pro-consumer, and sometimes even runs afoul of the Sherman/Clayton acts.

For instance, up until recently in some states:

1. You had to prove 1500 hours of study to be a cosmetologist. I can understand this if you were a doctor but...spending that amount of time and money for a job that makes $12/hour? I don't know.

2. Optometrists only require licensing because quite literally they bribed a sitting senator to lobby for them when such a thing was legal.

Don't even get me started on the bar exam, which is just a siphon which primarily prevents jews, minorities, and poor people from becoming lawyers and serves virtually no other function.

Where is this going? If we really want to defeat unemployment and reduce barriers to entry, licensing for most professions have to be modified or have to go altogether. This is also the chief barrier from preventing translational job transition: IE turning coal miners into solar energy laborers.

/rant

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lightning Knight posted:

Actually from this point forward:

Edit: for the record, it appears that technically speaking I am toxxed for ------------- lol.

That's why you should always put "from this point forward" at the end of your posts, not the beginning

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

A few tweets and some Hill clickbait don't equate to "staying in the media".

Just last week she just wrote a high profile OpEd for the Guardian about why immigrants are bad

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's why you should always put "from this point forward" at the end of your posts, not the beginning

Curse you rules lawyers! :argh:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Remember a few months back when they ran that op ed that was supposedly written by a Trump staffer that said they had considered invoking the 25th but decided not to? I have a pet theory that the Republicans floated that story out to test the waters for that very scenario. Now that the midterms are over, it'd be a wiser play for them to try to have him removed as mentally unfit and replaced with Big Papa Horsefucker than to let the Mueller report get out, because I suspect it'd implicate Pence and several other higher ranking Republicans in the same swipe. Then Pence in the interest of "letting the country heal" pardons Trump and has the investigation quashed because the "problem" has been removed.

Trump's base will never abandon him, but the results of the midterms did not reflect well on him, and Pence would be easier to deal with for the Republicans anyhow.

It was Hoosiers, under Pence, that wrote that op-ed. I'd argued with one by private correspondence, pushing my insane "pence uses 25th, house appoints a new untainted speaker, pence steps down" narrative (figured it was the best way to make it a reality; spin it so pence can play hero then appeal to his 'integrity' and desire for a positive legacy - bending the ear of people I know to have his ear). They weren't going to mention the 25th, but after our chat it got put in.

I've really enjoyed watching Trump never discover the authors.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1067480540775763968

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1067483454005223429

hmm it's almost like there's some kind of... connection... between manafort and assange?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao we're extremely doomed to global warming and nobody is even mad about it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chomskyan posted:

Just last week she just wrote a high profile OpEd for the Guardian about why immigrants are bad

she didnt do that

Ed:

unless you're confusing an oped with the guardian interview with her where she discussed how the right wing is exploiting the fears of immigration and that's an area that needs to be reformed in order to kneecap the fascists

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 27, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1067483454005223429

hmm it's almost like there's some kind of... connection... between manafort and assange?

Mueller has known about this meeting for more than a year. I would love to know what else Mueller knows that we have no idea about

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Kimsemus posted:

Don't even get me started on the bar exam, which is just a siphon which primarily prevents jews, minorities, and poor people from becoming lawyers and serves virtually no other function.
/rant
Wait what?

Jews are massively overrepresented both in the legal profession and in the upper middle class.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

pookel posted:

Wait what?

Jews are massively overrepresented both in the legal profession and in the upper middle class.

In the latter part of the 19th century when immigration was more open in the US, there was no secret as to the way they began legal licensing:

The jews coming from Europe were well educated, literate, and steeped in Talmud argument which is analogous to legal argument, which nativists feared would push american whites out of the profession. Which is why they created the bar exam in the first place, why they mandated law school be three years, mandated you had to go, and mandated you couldn't work full time while in school to try and exclude these people and other *undesirable* groups. The whole scheme is detestable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It's briefing time and Larry Kudlow is bombing HARD at the podium right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pookel posted:

Wait what?

the bar exam was literally designed to keep out people who haven't gone to the correct law schools and worked in literally any job other than 3 years of academia which was something Jewish (and many other) immigrants couldn't do often.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ague Proof posted:

Maryland's re-elected Republican governor Hogan just came out against gerrymandering in his state that sends 7 Democrats and 1 Republican to Congress. Definitely a good place to start :thumbsup:

Don't elect Republicans to anything.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1067415394279936000

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

John Mcafee's ongoing nervous breakdown is a hell of a thing to watch :stare:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

she didnt do that

lol, you're right. It was an interview, not an OpEd. My bad

quote:

Europe must get a handle on immigration to combat a growing threat from rightwing populists, Hillary Clinton has said, calling on the continent’s leaders to send out a stronger signal showing they are “not going to be able to continue to provide refuge and support”.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

In the latter part of the 19th century when immigration was more open in the US, there was no secret as to the way they began legal licensing:

The jews coming from Europe were well educated, literate, and steeped in Talmud argument which is analogous to legal argument, which nativists feared would push american whites out of the profession. Which is why they created the bar exam in the first place, why they mandated law school be three years, mandated you had to go, and mandated you couldn't work full time while in school to try and exclude these people and other *undesirable* groups. The whole scheme is detestable.

and if we were still in the 1800s that might be more relevant to a discussion about what the bar exam does today

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

and if we were still in the 1800s that might be more relevant to a discussion about what the bar exam does today

the bar remains exactly as classist and restrictive as it was when it first started and the bar as an organization constantly fails in its job as an oversight body.

Bar bad, friend.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Re: Ohio being red.

A huge hurdle is that most of the Democratic candidates suck anyway.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

It functions the same today, the only reason it survives is because of Dental examiners v FTC. The bar exam is created to restrict competition, keep people out of the profession, and ensure only a certain type of person can be admitted. On the other hand, a day observing general sessions and seeing those whom have passed proves this scheme has failed anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kimsemus posted:

It functions the same today, the only reason it survives is because of Dental examiners v FTC. The bar exam is created to restrict competition, keep people out of the profession, and ensure only a certain type of person can be admitted. On the other hand, a day observing general sessions and seeing those whom have passed proves this scheme has failed anyway.

Are you arguing that any form of qualifications for lawyers/other technical professions are bad or that specifically the kind we have now are bad? This is an honest question.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

the bar makes sure that the right and proper people are kept in the legal profession, he said, quietly filing the words "michael cohen" out of his memory for convenience

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The legal profession is bad enough with people actually forced to get a general knowledge of a state's legal principles through a bar exam. I hate to think what would happen to the profession if you took that barrier or entry away and just let already greedy law schools go to town on recruiting students and giving them little to no actual practical training.

And you'd still have the law school student debt problem regardless of whether the bar exam exists or not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the bar makes sure that the right and proper people are kept in the legal profession, he said, quietly filing the words "michael cohen" out of his memory for convenience

look man if we didn't have the bar the legal profession could be riddled with wealthy scumbags putting profit over justice or something!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

the bar remains exactly as classist and restrictive as it was when it first started and the bar as an organization constantly fails in its job as an oversight body.

Bar bad, friend.

there's a lot of things to complain about w/r/t the ABA, the bar exam, etc it's just that "it keeps the jews out of the law" has not been one of them for as long as anyone posting itt has been alive

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1067487144778899457?s=19

Lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So is there any legal way to actually punish Facebook for all this stuff? Short of Anti-trust laws?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lightning Knight posted:

Are you arguing that any form of qualifications for lawyers/other technical professions are bad or that specifically the kind we have now are bad? This is an honest question.

I'm arguing specifically the kind we have now are bad because they're not so much a measure of skill or competence, and more act as a gateway to a profession and are anti-consumer and anti-poor/minority. The hair dresser thing is low hanging fruit, here is another example: in most states, to get a license to BRAID hair, you have to prove your competency in (no joke) dressing hair from a prescribed list of 1950s styles, none of which involved braided hair. These laws are especially prevalent in the south. The law profession is just one of the most egregious and is steeped in the guild system -- the death of the tradeskill/apprenticeship learning path in favor of licensing should tell you something is very wrong. I only yammer about the bar because I had to go through it, watching most of my colleagues struggle with debt because they couldn't work f/t during school as mandated by the ABA, or other friends who flat out couldnt go because they couldn't afford to not work. Exactly by design.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

there's a lot of things to complain about w/r/t the ABA, the bar exam, etc it's just that "it keeps the jews out of the law" has not been one of them for as long as anyone posting itt has been alive

no one said it's doing that, the fact that it's historically always been a way to keep the 'right kinds' in the profession was the point that sailed over your head because you really creepily are fixated on 'nyeeeeh actually the law world is riddled with jews'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1067487019595640832

This would be amazing if it got upheld