Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Cythereal posted:

Every Force wielder in TOR has a nubile young girl as their padawan/apprentice, and every single one of those padawans and apprentices is a romance option. Kinda exception: Sith Warriors, where their apprentice is only romanceable if she's dark side and thus an utterly insane spree killer, sadist, and rapist, but on the other hand there's Vette, who is literally the PC's slave.
why would you ever take another companion along than your best friend Qyzen Fess though

e:

Melomane Mallet posted:

I have not; my group is currently in the midst of a Dragonlance campaign, but one of the other guys (a fellow DA fan) absolutely wants to run a game of it at some point. I am glad to hear that you think it's good!
Yeah, I've had a blast. Our game is happening during the events of DA:O but it's not necessarily gonna follow the same timeline. We've house ruled a couple things (like there not really being attacks of opportunity, and backstab being totally useless for archery rogues) but it's mostly worked pretty well!

I also spent way too much time on a Google Docs character sheet that walks you through chargen and leveling, if anybody wants it shoot me a PM!

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

dmboogie posted:

cowards

femsheps get garrus and thane; male sheps get humans and a blue woman :argh:
No krogans either. It's not like they're making babies anyway!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

why would you ever take another companion along than your best friend Qyzen Fess though

e:

Yeah, I've had a blast. Our game is happening during the events of DA:O but it's not necessarily gonna follow the same timeline. We've house ruled a couple things (like there not really being attacks of opportunity, and backstab being totally useless for archery rogues) but it's mostly worked pretty well!

I also spent way too much time on a Google Docs character sheet that walks you through chargen and leveling, if anybody wants it shoot me a PM!

I didn't like any of the non-basic speaking companions because reading subtitles over the same stock of dozen or so recorded alien language lines got old fast

T7's speech pattern + gruesome screeching // rear end = whole > eat it > T7

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

wow Ainsley's a space racist, color me shocked

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Just a sack of spiders. (Does anyone still have that comic or know where it came from?)

I think in one of the ME threads somebody posted quotes from a dev and the original concept art for Tali was pretty alien. But then she became romanceable and they went with a "safe" option.

Like many strange things on the internet, deviantart.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I... don't mind that Tali/Quarians look similar to humans

I like to think that they're the dextro mirror to levo humans

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SgtSteel91 posted:

I... don't mind that Tali/Quarians look similar to humans

I like to think that they're the dextro mirror to levo humans

Them looking semi human is fine. That they used a stock photo ad didn’t take the opportunity to do something cool with them isn’t. It’s as lazy as lazy gets.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

AzureSkye posted:

Like many strange things on the internet, deviantart.

Bless you.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Unless you're a woman. Then there is exactly one woman in the entire game you get to kiss and she doesn't even show up until long after the class stories have ended. :v:

Didn't they go on record saying there are no gay people in star wars, then later had to reverse course and added gay romances in an expansion, all confined to a single planet?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Avalerion posted:

Didn't they go on record saying there are no gay people in star wars, then later had to reverse course and added gay romances in an expansion, all confined to a single planet?

Re: "they", I think that was some dumbass community manager or something answering "why are there no gay romances in this game" on the official forums off the top of their head or something, not an actual line from like Bioware or Lucasfilm or anybody. Still real stupid, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think George said there’s no underwear in Star Wars but I don’t think there’s an official stance on gay people

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How can anyone say there’s no gay people in Star Wars when Grand Moff Tarkin appears in the first 15 minutes of the movie?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Avalerion posted:

This again.

TOR launched with nothing but straight romances. This being Bioware, a lot of fans expected same-sex romances and asked about it on the forums. A dev said they had been planned they just didn't make it in to launch and would be patched in soon. When soon passed, people posted more and a moderator said that people in Star Wars don't think of themselves as gay or straight or bi, they're just attracted to who they're attracted to and no one makes a big deal about it or considers it an identity - this is the response that everyone said was "No gays in Star Wars!"

Also, Makeb had two queer romance options: a bisexual woman for the Republic and a gay man for the Empire. Both ended in a kiss, nothing more, and they've never been seen or mentioned again.

Shadows of Revan added two recurring NPCs who could be romanced, a man and a woman. Both had completely gender neutral romances that never mentioned your gender at all. They've since been joined by two more men. None lead to anything more provocative than a kiss, and eventually getting married in Eternal Throne.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cythereal posted:

TOR launched with nothing but straight romances. This being Bioware, a lot of fans expected same-sex romances and asked about it on the forums. A dev said they had been planned they just didn't make it in to launch and would be patched in soon. When soon passed, people posted more and a moderator said that people in Star Wars don't think of themselves as gay or straight or bi, they're just attracted to who they're attracted to and no one makes a big deal about it or considers it an identity - this is the response that everyone said was "No gays in Star Wars!"

I think the real issue is they didn't want to pay to have the VOs to record lines with the corrected gender and probably re-animate already super awkward kissing scenes. I'm not sure why, as clearly their design method for TOR was 'just throw money at it.'

That said I'm sort of enjoying revisiting TOR except for all the stupid things, such as:

Me: "No, you can't use this technology to enslave the race of bug people that the baddies made angry, leave them alone and they'll settle down."
NPC: "YOU ONLY THINK OF YOURSELF."

Eh. Nobody's as good as HK-47 or Canderous anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Carth was underrated. I'll grant you that it is pretty dumb that he potentially abandons a teenage girl to the mercy of Darth Revan and his sexy new evil girlfriend and a war-loving mercenary but apart from that I thought he had one of the better character arcs in KOTOR 1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

I think the real issue is they didn't want to pay to have the VOs to record lines with the corrected gender and probably re-animate already super awkward kissing scenes. I'm not sure why, as clearly their design method for TOR was 'just throw money at it.'

That said I'm sort of enjoying revisiting TOR except for all the stupid things, such as:

Me: "No, you can't use this technology to enslave the race of bug people that the baddies made angry, leave them alone and they'll settle down."
NPC: "YOU ONLY THINK OF YOURSELF."

Eh. Nobody's as good as HK-47 or Canderous anyway.

The devs at the time also claimed they didn't want to make companions playersexual and they'd thought about every companion's orientation, and since every single female companion in the game wants to bone the male PC (partial exception to light-side Jaesa, and even she can be persuaded to marry the male Warrior and bear his children), players at the time figured that meant there would be new companions coming after launch.

New companions did happen, years later, and they were playersexual. And there's only one woman in the lot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You know what romance people sleep on alot? Closed Fist Dawn Star. It's one of my favorites and I would love a remaster of Jade Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EKxHQc0j8&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gZaaPpq-N6mhA9_ydEz7cXxhUV5ZeW8

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

a real rude dude posted:

DA2 was good and more games should work with a smaller scope imho hth

Agreed. Parts of DA2 were head scratching lazy, but I enjoyed the game enough to play it to completion 4-5 times. It's not nearly as bad as goon hyperbole makes it out to be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

You know what romance people sleep on alot? Closed Fist Dawn Star. It's one of my favorites and I would love a remaster of Jade Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EKxHQc0j8&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gZaaPpq-N6mhA9_ydEz7cXxhUV5ZeW8

That is the exact romance I did on my last run of JE. It was so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juo6DMJEniE

The big problem is completing her quest gets you a lovely end for her. The point of Closed Fist is to make her more assertive and less of a doormat and you would think that would be very handy in the confrontation with her father. But all it really does is completely and totally break her.

quote:

The defeat of Sun Li signaled the rise of <FullName>, and Dawn Star was ever at his side. She was devoted to his efforts, but personal turmoil clouded her mind. She had found her lost father, but Sun Li was not the man she had wanted him to be. It was as if he had killed her true father, the idealized Master Li that now only existed in her memories. She grew cold over time, and without her tempering influence, the Jade Empire became a demanding place to live, controlled through force of arms. But the tighter the reigns, the harder the resistance, and the reigns were very tight indeed. Dawn Star would stand by <FullName> to the end.

Made me sad.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

chaosapiant posted:

Agreed. Parts of DA2 were head scratching lazy, but I enjoyed the game enough to play it to completion 4-5 times. It's not nearly as bad as goon hyperbole makes it out to be.

It’s not Goon Hyperbole it’s everyone on the internet.

Dragon Age 2 Was Good Culture and Incel Culture share a lot in common, I don’t mean that the same type of people inhabit both worlds, I mean that they are a function of how the internet lets weird voices be amplified by closed echo chambers.

It was a terrible game.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
woke: da2 was a bad game

broke: da2 fans and incels is the same

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It’s not Goon Hyperbole it’s everyone on the internet.

Dragon Age 2 Was Good Culture and Incel Culture share a lot in common, I don’t mean that the same type of people inhabit both worlds, I mean that they are a function of how the internet lets weird voices be amplified by closed echo chambers.

It was a terrible game.
:psyduck:
If you ever find yourself typing that a male supremacist group whose members have committed several mass murders are the same as people who have a different opinion about a videogame, you should really just take a break from the Internet and think about what the gently caress you're doing with your life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DA2 is an extremely bad game that happens to occasionally be really fun anyway

Kirkwall is city of contrasts

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
DA2 is a bad game that had some interesting ideas and given 6-12 more months in the cooker might have actually been a good game

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

hmm, very interesting tell me more

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zane posted:

hmm, very interesting tell me more

They're totally correct though.
DA2 was a bad game and that was pretty much a given when it was actually out and people in general were talking about it. As time has gone on it's now super discounted and also most people who hated it played and moved on, so the consensus has shifted and more people that like it talk about it.

Incels are magnifying a small amount of voices and becoming the angry shouty "main" voice.

Just because those things are on totally different scales of badness doesn't mean it's not a similar social situation.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 27, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Main voice about what topic

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Main voice about what topic

The main voice in the "I'm an unhappy man" forums and reddit.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am glad that we have figured out that liking DA2 and talking about its strong points is within the same exact same sphere as murdering several people with a vehicle because the manlet driver is angry he isn’t getting hosed

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HIJK posted:

I am glad that we have figured out that liking DA2 and talking about its strong points is within the same exact same sphere as murdering several people with a vehicle because the manlet driver is angry he isn’t getting hosed

You know, the way things work in social situations - even ones that are only internet based - can be compared even if one is just about a game and one is about being a woman hating lunatic.
That's not saying they're the same, it's not saying that it has the same result. Just that it's created in the same manner.

The structures that lead to the conclusion work in the same way.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taear posted:

You know, the way things work in social situations - even ones that are only internet based - can be compared even if one is just about a game and one is about being a woman hating lunatic.
That's not saying they're the same, it's not saying that it has the same result. Just that it's created in the same manner.

The structures that lead to the conclusion work in the same way.

I’m not sure they’re being created the same way re: the echo chamber. I mean, even in this very thread the people who like DA2 are interacting with the people who don’t like it and we’re both reading those opinions. I’ve noticed it plays out in similar ways in other parts of the internet where DA2 comes up.

The only place I can think of that would have been significantly hug-boxy would be the Bioware forums and those are defunct now. People still manage to talk about DA2 in other places and still see a variety of opinions. The whole problem with incels on the other hand is that they can’t handle other opinions, that’s why they run away from every encounter.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HIJK posted:

I’m not sure they’re being created the same way re: the echo chamber. I mean, even in this very thread the people who like DA2 are interacting with the people who don’t like it and we’re both reading those opinions. I’ve noticed it plays out in similar ways in other parts of the internet where DA2 comes up.

The only place I can think of that would have been significantly hug-boxy would be the Bioware forums and those are defunct now. People still manage to talk about DA2 in other places and still see a variety of opinions. The whole problem with incels on the other hand is that they can’t handle other opinions, that’s why they run away from every encounter.

Before I got into the DA games back in 2014, I visited the BW forum. There was literally a 50 page thread dedicated just to how much they hate Anders.

Not very hugbox-y there either.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Taear posted:

They're totally correct though.
DA2 was a bad game and that was pretty much a given when it was actually out and people in general were talking about it. As time has gone on it's now super discounted and also most people who hated it played and moved on, so the consensus has shifted and more people that like it talk about it.

Incels are magnifying a small amount of voices and becoming the angry shouty "main" voice.

Just because those things are on totally different scales of badness doesn't mean it's not a similar social situation.
i don't think we have enough information to say anything about the underlying demography of da2 liking/hating tbh. anyone who ventures an opinion otherwise--without some kind of additional information--is almost necessarily projecting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah honestly considering the backlash the antiDA2 vitriol and active driving out of anyone even neutral about the game is more like the incel phenomenon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dragon Age 2 was not a good game. However given Bioware's recent history you can't even say it was their worst anymore.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon Age 2 was not a good game. However given Bioware's recent history you can't even say it was their worst anymore.

Dragon Age 2 had a heart, which Andromeda very much does not

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thanks to this thread I decided to google wtf “incel” meant and Jesus Christ that’s an insane rabbit hole I wish I hadn’t gone down.

Anywho, I find it hard to look at DA2 as a “bad game,” but my definition of “bad game” is pretty lenient. The biggest issue with it, to me; is the ridiculous reuse of all the cave environments and the lack of any kind of change in the city over the 10 or so year period. But it’s also got a lot of good ideas that deserve to be in a better game: like having a main character who isn’t a member of an elite organization or trying to save the world. Or the awesome friend/rival system. I liked that being friendly towards some party members (Merrill) didn’t automatically fix all their problems and even created new problems. The combat felt good and was nice and punchy, but I wasn’t a fan of endless waves of goons either. But when I play, I realize I’m playing a retelling of a story that Varric is telling and at least in that context, even the reused assets and waves of enemies made some degree of sense.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
*spawns right behind you on one of three cave maps*
have you heard about white genocide

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vhak lord of hate posted:

*spawns right behind you on one of three cave maps*
have you heard about white genocide

It'll be like the sidequest with the serial killer where everybody gives you Friendship for killing him.

Even in DA2 where half the party well and truly hates the other half, they would all be down with throwing a knife into this guy's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Thanks to this thread I decided to google wtf “incel” meant and Jesus Christ that’s an insane rabbit hole I wish I hadn’t gone down.

I'm genuinely surprised you've managed to miss it. I mean there's been actual terrorist attacks by them and everything.

HIJK posted:

In the past everyone hated DA2 with the possible exception of Pick. The thread was pages of "Wow this is bad" with Pick liking it.
Now it's sort of moved the other way, where the overarching opinion is more of a "I enjoyed it, even though it wasn't great".

It's not about the ONLY voices, more how the community/fandom/whatever has moved and changed and which voices are louder there.