Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
O'briens brain jail episode is sooo hosed up. 20 years in prison and starving for weeks, killing your jail mate and all and everyone is like "lol that's our O'brien!"

The one where there was a fake O'Brien was pretty wild too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Brawnfire posted:

Well it's been a while since I've seen Family Guy so I might be drawing more parallels than is there, but they both strike me as awkward in similar fashion, with crappy jokes that fall flat, believing himself capable of more than he is, and having a terrible propensity to offend the person trying to help them.

I stopped watching about 10-12 years ago and Brian's character back then was a guy who was really opinionated, had his head really far up his own rear end, really judgmental, really insincere, and overly confident in his opinions and abilities. Mercer doesn't seem to be any of those things, but the "awkward" and "crappy jokes" is sort of applicable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly aside from some of the cultural references, I really have nothing bad to say about it. It's a great show, and MacFarlane's sheer earnestness outweighs the fact that he's cemented in my brain as Brian the dog.

Brawnfire posted:

Mercer is Brian the dog too

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You mean the main character, played by Seth MacFarlane?

Brawnfire posted:

Yes. Mercer is literally Brian the Dog.

I'm :psyduck:ing so hard right now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods changed my name posted:

O'briens brain jail episode is sooo hosed up. 20 years in prison and starving for weeks, killing your jail mate and all and everyone is like "lol that's our O'brien!"

Molly gets this gene too

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm :psyduck:ing so hard right now

Brawnfire posted:

Let me rephrase:. Mercer is not Brian because they are both played by MacFarlane. There is practically nothing distinguishing them in my view at all outside of the fact that Mercer is not a cartoon dog. It's almost like Seth can't really perform another character besides "sensible try hard"

I'm really hoping this gets across what I mean because my next explanation is an extremely long paragraph.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 27, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Pick posted:

Molly gets this gene too

the only Molly thing I can think of right now is where she falls into the time well and comes back as some feral child or something and kills herself to give young molly a chance again

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the only Molly thing I can think of right now is where she falls into the time well and comes back as some feral child or something and kills herself to give young molly a chance again

I think she gets held hostage too

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Pick posted:

I think she gets held hostage too

Oh yeah when they were being possessed by the aliens or whatever

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I'm really hoping this gets across what I mean because my next explanation is an extremely long paragraph.

I mean I get it you just made a really weird attempt to explain it the first few times. You're wrong as hell though, Brian is a caricature of snobby elitist liberals, Mercer is just an average dude. The voice is really the only jarring thing; I can't think of a single thing aside from the cultural references on Orville that is anything near the grating mess Family Guy has been for over a decade.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah this is why I usually only post while stoned, I don't think enough otherwise.

I guess I don't see as much versatility in MacFarlane's portrayal as other people do, then. I'll withdraw.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean I'm not trying to shout down your argument; if you've got reasoning behind it then great. But I think it'd be silly to expect him to do a voice other than his normal speaking voice on a live show, and of the bunch of FG characters he does, Brian just happens to be his natural voice. Personality-wise I just don't see it - IMO he nails the role, and the most pleasant surprises about the show so far are a) how little it feels like anything else he's done I can think of (FG, American Dad, Ted), and b) how great the characters are, Mercer included. I just can't see a reason to dislike him, whereas Brian seemed to become more and more of the goofy liberal stereotype as time went on.

I mean, John DiMaggio basically did a slightly-less-angry-Bender for Jake in Adventure Time but it never took me out of either show (compared to say Tress MacNeille who does basically the same voice for all her characters, but 90% of her characters are "angry/crazy old lady" - Skinner's mom, Crazy Cat Lady, Mom from Futurama, all the way back to Angelica's mom on Rugrats).

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

(compared to say Tress MacNeille who does basically the same voice for all her characters, but 90% of her characters are "angry/crazy old lady" - Skinner's mom, Crazy Cat Lady, Mom from Futurama, all the way back to Angelica's mom on Rugrats).

She keeps it up in Disenchantment too. I'm actually quite jealous, she's been milking that voice for 30 years.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I needed at least 1 example that wasn't a Matt Groening show :v:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean I'm not trying to shout down your argument; if you've got reasoning behind it then great. But I think it'd be silly to expect him to do a voice other than his normal speaking voice on a live show, and of the bunch of FG characters he does, Brian just happens to be his natural voice. Personality-wise I just don't see it - IMO he nails the role, and the most pleasant surprises about the show so far are a) how little it feels like anything else he's done I can think of (FG, American Dad, Ted), and b) how great the characters are, Mercer included. I just can't see a reason to dislike him, whereas Brian seemed to become more and more of the goofy liberal stereotype as time went on.

This is because Seth McFarlane loves Star Trek more than anything. He has a fan film he made when he was like 13 on YouTube now, and he almost had a panic attack when he met Patrick Stewart for the first time. He also had a bit part in Enterprise. Running The Orville is his dream job, and you can see the love and care that is put into the show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Peachfart posted:

This is because Seth McFarlane loves Star Trek more than anything. He has a fan film he made when he was like 13 on YouTube now, and he almost had a panic attack when he met Patrick Stewart for the first time. He also had a bit part in Enterprise. Running The Orville is his dream job, and you can see the love and care that is put into the show.

It shows, even as the resident Disco apologist it already feels waaaay more like one of the older Trek series.

Wasn't he or someone else doing a bit where they were posting Orville scripts with all the jokes removed, and they were essentially indistinguishable from a TNG script?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, he's really good

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean, John DiMaggio basically did a slightly-less-angry-Bender for Jake in Adventure Time but it never took me out of either show (compared to say Tress MacNeille who does basically the same voice for all her characters, but 90% of her characters are "angry/crazy old lady" - Skinner's mom, Crazy Cat Lady, Mom from Futurama, all the way back to Angelica's mom on Rugrats).
cam clarke is one of the worst for this, he has one voice and it has a very distinct whiny and adenoidal undertone and grates on me every time he gets cast in anything since liquid snake

gideon emery and brandon keener have a similar problem but at least they have good voices

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It shows, even as the resident Disco apologist it already feels waaaay more like one of the older Trek series.

Wasn't he or someone else doing a bit where they were posting Orville scripts with all the jokes removed, and they were essentially indistinguishable from a TNG script?

The dumber jokes were mandated by Fox to make it a 'wacky space show', this drops off as the season progresses and Seth has stated that they will be mostly gone in Season 2.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Peachfart posted:

The dumber jokes were mandated by Fox to make it a 'wacky space show', this drops off as the season progresses and Seth has stated that they will be mostly gone in Season 2.

Oh cool!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i need to watch the Orville because yeah at launch it looked like it tried to be too "wacky space show" and that was definitely a turn off. I only know Seth McFarlane from Family Guy and let me tell you, that is not a positive when selling me a space show

naem
May 29, 2011

I’m actually excited for the plot in orville, like the new bad guys who are pretty interesting

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i need to watch the Orville because yeah at launch it looked like it tried to be too "wacky space show" and that was definitely a turn off. I only know Seth McFarlane from Family Guy and let me tell you, that is not a positive when selling me a space show

I honestly went from "ugh I hate Seth MacFarlane" to "drat this show is loving awesome" in 2 episodes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

I stopped watching about 10-12 years ago and Brian's character back then was a guy who was really opinionated, had his head really far up his own rear end, really judgmental, really insincere, and overly confident in his opinions and abilities.

Reading these two posts right after one another I was starting to have some really strong opinions for a second there. lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I don't have a list of reasons or anything, it just strikes me that they're not distinguished from each other so much, but nobody else sees it that way so I'll chalk it up to personal bias.

Edit: and again I haven't watched more than an eppy here or there of family guy in years so perhaps my memories of the character are more muted, seems like they added a lot more flaws to his character, I remember him being more of an attempt at a sensible, informed straight man.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 27, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I don't have a list of reasons or anything, it just strikes me that they're not distinguished from each other so much, but nobody else sees it that way so I'll chalk it up to personal bias.

Edit: and again I haven't watched more than an eppy here or there of family guy in years so perhaps my memories of the character are more muted, seems like they added a lot more flaws to his character, I remember him being more of an attempt at a sensible, informed straight man.

I mean they definitely did emphasize Brian's negative points more as time went on; I like to think that Seth realized how milquetoast and blandly "progressive" the character was and started poking fun at it. He was like a textbook example of a typical dumb libdem last time I watched a couple episodes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Peachfart posted:

Orville and Discovery, a tale of two shows: one was a labor of love that had to be Trojan-horsed onto television, the other was pushed outby studio execs in a cash grab. Shouldn't be surprising which turned out better.

With maybe the exception of TNG, it seems like the evidence is that you really can't have a good Trek or Trek-style show without the element of sneaking something past the suits.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

GET AHT OF MAH NOOTRAL ZOON

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My favorite get by the showrunners/studio is how Berman or whoever mandated that DS9's Dominion war be just a 3 episode storyarc but was so focused on Voyager, DS9 pushed back and turned it into like 4 seasons.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I honestly went from "ugh I hate Seth MacFarlane" to "drat this show is loving awesome" in 2 episodes

Not to start poo poo or anything, but with the exception of Family Guy, what made you hate MacFarlane? From what I've heard the guy is genuinely one of the nicest people in show business.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Family Guy was enough.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Family Guy was enough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blistex posted:

Not to start poo poo or anything, but with the exception of Family Guy, what made you hate MacFarlane? From what I've heard the guy is genuinely one of the nicest people in show business.

Same; I meant more his work. Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland, Cavalcade of Comedy were all awful rehashes of the same exact concept. Ted was ok because I can get behind the concept of Mark Wahlberg and a talking bear with a Boston accent being Boston Bros, but I didn't bother with the 2nd one.

And yes, like 99% of people who poo poo on Family Guy, I watched and enjoyed the first several seasons when I was younger (holy poo poo that was like 18 years ago)

e: I feel like I have heard a bunch of scattered stories about how he's a good guy IRL, and the fact that he's treating Orville with such reverence as a fan helps with the goodwill a little, too.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah family guy was cutting edge stuff when i was 11, there was a penis joke in the first episode

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghostlight posted:

Family Guy was enough.

No. It's not.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think the orville is kinda boring but charming and im glad it exists as opposed to star trek discovery which is boring and awful and im sad it exists

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

i think the orville is kinda boring but charming and im glad it exists as opposed to star trek discovery which is boring and awful and im sad it exists

Star Trek discovery? Never heard of it. :thunk:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the nicest thing i can say about disco is that it makes orville seem even better by comparison.