Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Radish posted:

The whole expelling students stuff is still probably the dumbest aspect of the series. I could see sending kids to general studies or whatever but throwing kids out of the educational system because one teacher deamed them to have no future one day into class is so stupid.

Kakashi did the same thing in Naruto and the best way to deal with that is call it Early Installment Weirdness and completely ignore it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Radish did you click the wrong thread

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Eej posted:

No? We're told early on Eraser expelled a whole class previously.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

No? We're told early on Eraser expelled a whole class previously.

There is a discussion in the manga thread about comparing class A and class B since that's the focus of the current arc. I brought up that Aizawa may have wanted Midoriya in his class just in order to expel him on day 1 during the fitness test since he didn't think it was rational for him to have gotten into the class. Since the anime thread was concurrently talking about non-hero quirk licenses it seemed likely that Radish meant to post their comment about expulsions in the manga thread rather then this one.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Radish posted:

The whole expelling students stuff is still probably the dumbest aspect of the series. I could see sending kids to general studies or whatever but throwing kids out of the educational system because one teacher deamed them to have no future one day into class is so stupid.

Yeah, seems like it encourages super villains/vigilantism to me.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

New Leaf posted:

Yeah the likes of Dabi and Toga just scream "I got expelled from somewhere".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Yeah the likes of Dabi and Toga just scream "I got expelled from somewhere".

I'm betting Dabi is the mysterious student who had something go really bad on an internship we heard about from Nejire.

Toga, on the other hand, just seems to really like murder.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It’s good to have hobbies.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

New Leaf posted:

Stain used to go to hero school, which probably inspires expelled students and dropouts to vigilanteism.

Man, now I wish I could see the cast from Vigilantes deal with the influx of edgelord Stain wannabes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There are a lot of hosed up elements in MHA's power-meritocracy if you think about it too hard, which is why I try not to

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Kakashi did the same thing in Naruto and the best way to deal with that is call it Early Installment Weirdness and completely ignore it

Not quite the same thing; the kids who failed in Naruto were sent back to the academy for additional training, IIRC. In filler several of the kids failed by Kakashi actually end up thanking him for it later.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Not quite the same thing; the kids who failed in Naruto were sent back to the academy for additional training, IIRC. In filler several of the kids failed by Kakashi actually end up thanking him for it later.

It's not like they just don't go to school if they're expelled. They'll just go to a different hero school or a general school.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also it is good that a school is very careful about who is legally allowed to use their quirks offensively.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Stain used to go to hero school, which probably inspires expelled students and dropouts to vigilanteism.

Man, now I wish I could see the cast from Vigilantes deal with the influx of edgelord Stain wannabes

Man I'd love to see the Vigilantes spinoff get some kind of animated adaption. Even a one off OVA would be cool.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Gosh I wonder if these artists drawing mangas have strong feelings about the nature of education and their failure to lift kids like them up when they were behind.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eej posted:

Yes but my point stands since Joke brought up the expelling thing at the licensing exams. :colbert:

Maybe the connotation of "expel" is different in Japan since to me that basically sounds like something that would be a severe stain on your record.

Edit also just in case anyone is worried, nothing in that post was in reference to the comic or spoilery, it's just a plot thread I really dislike.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 27, 2018

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Radish posted:

Yes but my point stands since Joke brought up the expelling thing at the licensing exams. :colbert:

Maybe the connotation of "expel" is different in Japan since to me that basically sounds like something that would be a severe stain on your record.

Edit also just in case anyone is worried, nothing in that post was in reference to the comic or spoilery, it's just a plot thread I really dislike.

In a similar vein, I wasn't happy with the failure rate for the provisional exam. If the idea is to make more heroes who are willing to work together to compensate for the loss of your symbol then how can pushing the drop out rate from half to more then 90% be a good thing. Especially since it's just a provisional license, something to allow them to continue their training. All it's going to do is engender feelings of resentment, cause more people to drop out of their respective hero programs, and in the end create more "villains".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's almost as if this series with villains who are explicitly motivated by being burned by the system and has a spinoff about people working outside the system has a flawed system.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the inherent unfairness of hero society is literally the motivation for half the villains.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Those themes are true but I never get the impression Eraserhead (or even UA in general) reflects that maybe his cavalier attitude towards dumping kids out of school is causing some societal problems. If anything he's characterized as kind since he's curb stomping their impossible dreams early instead of wasting time. Frankly it's honestly the opposite of how a teacher is supposed to be.

Eraserhead may be a good hero but it's not like he's the absolute authority of everyone's success being that he's also kind of a weird antisocial loner. Imagine Endeavor having that authority as a teacher.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 27, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's a weird separation between "things we're explicitly shown about hero society" and "hero society is a little messed up and incubates it's own villians"

Like, the argument could be made that increasing the provisional license drop rate to 90% is part of the villian creation ecosystem. But is the show actually presenting it as such? Do we see burned would-be heroes begin to harbor resentment because of it? If anything, we're shown that failing it is a good learning opportunity, and the system that exists (or at least this part of the system) is cool and good and the smart license examiners have a well thought out plan. It seems like reading into events to a degree the show doesn't really intend to me.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 27, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anyways weren't the dropouts told "you can try again in a couple months and we're going to provide focused classes to you to help you shore up yur shortcomings in the meantime, so at the end you'll come out as even better heroes than you would've been before?"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Was it ever confirmed that provisional license is something that you have to get to continue your hero education? As far as I remember, you need it to get the for-real internship at hero agency which while definitely something that will be super important once you finish school and look for a job as a hero or sidekick, is still an extracurricular activity that you don't really need to finish your education at hero school. The big reason why provisional license was super important for class A was so that they are able to legally defend themselves when targeted by Villain Alliance again, which is not exactly default situation for vast majority of hero classes.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The provisional license is only so underage students can use their Quirks in public. It doesn't affect their education at all. It's like getting a superhero learner's permit.

Presumably, graduating from hero school gives them the same rights to use their powers in public. Getting the prov. license just lets them get some real-life experience beforehand.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Anyways weren't the dropouts told "you can try again in a couple months and we're going to provide focused classes to you to help you shore up yur shortcomings in the meantime, so at the end you'll come out as even better heroes than you would've been before?"

Only the 100 who passed the first stage were offered the opportunity of the focused classes leaving 1400+ out in the cold.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mirage posted:

The provisional license is only so underage students can use their Quirks in public. It doesn't affect their education at all. It's like getting a superhero learner's permit.

Presumably, graduating from hero school gives them the same rights to use their powers in public. Getting the prov. license just lets them get some real-life experience beforehand.

Hero society works off nepotism as a (unintentional?) mirror of real life. The whole point of going to UA is to get scouted by a pro hero who takes you on as an intern, get your provisional license so you can go on missions and patrol with pro heroes so when you graduate you can be hired on the spot.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You can, hypothetically, get a hero license without any hero schooling by passing the hero license exam. In reality, you need the school to give you the skills and experience to pass and the connections to get hired. The problems of this educational system are largely the problems of the Japanese school system (and any school system based off of Confucianism) writ large.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Unrelated to the prior course of discussion:

I just watched Two Heroes at the cinema and it was great! A nice, self-contained feature-length episode of the TV show, basically. It reminded me strongly of that bit from Assassination Classroom where some of the kids get infected with a virus and the rest of them have to infiltrate a big hotel to get the antidote. Or possibly Anime Die Hard. I'm glad I watched it in a cinema with a bunch of other weaboos who all laughed at the same bits, too.

Also it has two instances of All Might saying "poo poo!" in English with adorably awkward intonation, which was marvellous.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Super hyped to get my hands on the dub - which I think is due in January? We missed it in theaters. The woes of having a 2-year-old.

Also, I've been reading ahead in the manga because I can't contain the hype for this show, and goddamn I'm excited for some things to be animated. Ultra minor spoilers for the ultra spoiler conscious - My boy RED RIOT gets some major fight scenes, which are going to be awesome!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I might have missed it, but is the sub version available anywhere yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nope. I'd imagine the BD early next year.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The movie's bd is scheduled for February I believe.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/1075314813557911553

That's a bit later than I thought it'd be.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That's gonna be one hell of a wait.

I'm not mad about it, though. I'm oblivious to other projects the studio is working on besides MHA.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Makes sense though, they're definitely catching up.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Hype. But also, that's a long time away. Didn't this past season start in the spring?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, but the staff was actually crunching fairly hard last season. Sounds like the added delay will make things easier on them, which typically translates into better anime. Always a better deal, IMO.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Guess I better catch up on the manga in the mean time, then...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Guess I better catch up on the manga in the mean time, then...

Yeah I did the same thing. Great action coming up soon, really looking forward to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If it's two cour again we'll probably get the festival arc, which between Overhaul and that adds up to a lot of action so they could probably use the time.

Also they somehow need to work out doing what is essentially a music video for Jirou's performance. Luckily her Japanese voice actor has singing experience apparently.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 19, 2018