Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1067464225134690305

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1067417760072900608

https://twitter.com/AniUcar/status/1067449593846059008

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

alternatively, facebook could become so politically toxic that governments basically outlaw their entire business model and nobody's sure what to do with it anymore

Their business model may already be illegal thanks to issues like the redlining and white genocide ads- it could be argued that the entire enterprise is founded on exploitation of loopholes that don't actually exist, like Aereo. Or that it only works when they go to the trouble of being deceptive, like the video ads issue.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 27, 2018

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

axeil posted:

These committee hearings sound wild and the Canadian MPs sound pissed. Does this all end with Facebook being banned in Canada?

Charlie Angus sits on the privacy committee in Canada, but he's a New Democratic Party MP. The NDP are the leftmost major Canadian party and are not in government.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The primary hold Facebook has is basically the existing data and the links you already have. I don't use my Facebook account, basically never post on it...but I don't want to delete it because it's got data that's not anywhere else and if there was Facebook 2.0 from a new company I wouldn't exactly go friend all of the people I haven't spoken to since college but i might, someday, be vaguely interested in what they're up to. I'm not real sure how you replicate that.

You can export all your data, then delete your account.

(Worth noting that your account doesn't actually get deleted, they just put an "is_deleted = true" flag on it. But for most intents and purposes it gets deleted.)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Nationalise that poo poo, IMO.

No direct government control, of course, but bring it into public ownership.

EDIT - although I suppose that's an absolutely impossible demand in the USA

Government-owned social media companies freak me out even more than privately-owned ones. Imagine what Trump could do if he had access to everything Facebook has.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

Government-owned social media companies freak me out even more than privately-owned ones. Imagine what Trump could do if he had access to everything Facebook has.

I mean, given what the NSA is collecting, he already has access to it.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

axeil posted:

Government-owned social media is a dystopian nightmare. The better thing is to create laws which meaningfully hold them accountable for their harm, which will, in turn, kill them off and force them to radically transform to survive. Social media as we know it is inherently a bad thing and unsalvageable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

China basically has this, I believe. And they keep adding new features to it so it's super useful and everyone uses it, even though they know the government uses it to track people.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
Is *this* infrastructure week?

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1067495633903370240

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

...I still get the tax break right? I was going to buy a Volt at the end of winter

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Call_Me_Dutch/status/1067501085173186562

Welp, active shooter at the VA

Edit: Looks like a false alarm
https://twitter.com/ClohertyWTOP/status/1067503676993011712

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 27, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Nationalise that poo poo, IMO.

No direct government control, of course, but bring it into public ownership.

EDIT - although I suppose that's an absolutely impossible demand in the USA

Not for profits with a public mandated mission, that have government, relevant industry, and relevant nonpartisan organizations on the board are pretty good things.

We use them for other things and they work so well nobody knows they exist basically.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

BrandorKP posted:

Not for profits with a public mandated mission, that have government, relevant industry, and relevant nonpartisan organizations on the board are pretty good things.

We use them for other things and they work so well nobody knows they exist basically.

Where in the US do we use that model?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Walter Reed is an Army hospital, not a Veterans Administration hospital.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Transportation and internstionsl trade is one place, some of the regulatory bodies discharge thier obligations, and some are international treaty obligations, to not for profits structured like that, that have the professional knowledge to deal with it. Some that I can think of exist historically and even predate the county.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) is an example of one of these not for profits.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

axeil posted:

Oddly enough a publicity owned Facebook would probably annoy the surveillance state to no end because our absurd laws let them buy data from commercial providers that they would need a warrant to get from the IRS or USPS. The government is also required to treat personally identifiable information with much more care than the private sector (where the rules are basically "lol whatever!" unless the industry has screwed up in the past to the point that other regulations are in place).

It would still be an absolute dystopian disaster though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

which report, the "manafort met assange" one?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Oddly enough a publicity owned Facebook would probably annoy the surveillance state to no end because our absurd laws let them buy data from commercial providers that they would need a warrant to get from the IRS or USPS. The government is also required to treat personally identifiable information with much more care than the private sector (where the rules are basically "lol whatever!" unless the industry has screwed up in the past to the point that other regulations are in place).

It would still be an absolute dystopian disaster though.

I don’t need them to own Facebook, but a national identity management system spun off theirs after they are forced via antitrust action to separate identity management from the feed would be ideal. Let the Post Office run it, and also start a national online bank while we’re at it.

The biggest thing of value they own is our identity and networks. Let us own that and make it portable, and suddenly there will be a boom in competing feed sites.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Chilichimp posted:

which report, the "manafort met assange" one?

Yea

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1067507024303452161

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

looks like corsi is now outright giving reporters the sample documents drafted during negotiations with Mueller

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1067529889136427009

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/1067530063434973185

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha, old people really don't understand computers. There's zero chance that these two didn't lie about things they thought were deleted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have used more bleach!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is astonishingly damaging to his own case. these emails Corsi apparently let reporters see that HE WROTE are the clearest evidence of a conspiracy with russian hackers to date

quote:

"Word is friend in embassy plans 2 more dumps. One shortly after I'm back. 2nd in Oct. Impact planned to be very damaging," Corsi wrote, according to the draft document. "Time to let more than [the Clinton Campaign chairman] to be exposed as in bed w enemy if they are not ready to drop HRC [Hillary Rodham Clinton]. That appears to be the game hackers are now about. Would not hurt to start suggesting HRC old, memory bad, has stroke -- neither he nor she well. I expect that much of next dump focus, setting stage for Foundation debacle."

i know he's a famously bad source nutjob and all but this story makes clear Corsi showed NBC the draft plea deal that laid out the three distinct lies he told to Mueller, and the evidence they had that the statements were lies, including the email he sent i quoted above.

holy poo poo is this ever stupid

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eke out posted:

this is astonishingly damaging to his own case. these emails Corsi apparently let reporters see that HE WROTE are the clearest evidence of a conspiracy with russian hackers to date

his defense is going to be, "well, I said it appears to be the game hackers are about, so I didn't actually know it was the game!"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've shitposted about this story for 3 years and he just tweeted it out :psyduck:

The only exzplanation is that he is trying to get this out so Trump and Co know how hosed they are and can try to start to change their stories to Mueller

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anything more than $0 is collaborating.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I've shitposted about this story for 3 years and he just tweeted it out :psyduck:

The only exzplanation is that he is trying to get this out so Trump and Co know how hosed they are and can try to start to change their stories to Mueller

Corsi is already in a joint defense agreement with Trump that lets his lawyers share information, so even that doesn't really explain it.

Maybe his lawyers told him "Under no circumstances should you do this you gigantic idiot" and he took it as proof he should definitely do it

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1067534144664731648

I doubt this will go anywhere, but interesting nonetheless.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

He wanted to demonstrate that he’s even stupider than Donald Jr. That’s all I’ve got.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Anything more than $0 is collaborating.

Nah, the wall is a useful bargaining chip. It would takes years to design and build, long after Trump is gone from office. Funding can be cut and the project canned at any point in the future.

If dangling some funding for it in front of him now gets him to support and sign some genuinely useful bills, it's worth it. Trump's weakness is he ego.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Deteriorata posted:

Nah, the wall is a useful bargaining chip. It would takes years to design and build, long after Trump is gone from office. Funding can be cut and the project canned at any point in the future.

If dangling some funding for it in front of him now gets him to support and sign some genuinely useful bills, it's worth it. Trump's weakness is he ego.

Same, especially if you can keep punting by funding nebulous "Border security" maintenance bills, with riders explicitly prohibiting their funds to be devoted to new building projects, as the Democrats have been doing up to now. Sounds reasonable to ignorant centrist voters, drives Trump up the wall.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 27, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1067534144664731648

I doubt this will go anywhere, but interesting nonetheless.

I presume the idea here is the house would reject it and it would get stripped in conference committee. Flake would have then had his meaningless vote on the Senate floor, freeing him up to vote for evil judges.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rigel posted:

I presume the idea here is the house would reject it and it would get stripped in conference committee. Flake would have then had his meaningless vote on the Senate floor, freeing him up to vote for evil judges.

you're right except there's no need to even do anything as politically uncomfortable as affirmatively rejecting it - they can just ignore it and it's dead at the end of this term five weeks from now

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

eke out posted:

you're right except there's no need to even do anything as politically uncomfortable as affirmatively rejecting it - they can just ignore it and it's dead at the end of this term five weeks from now

well, except they have to pass something during the lame duck to avoid a shutdown and the GOP might also need flake's vote for judges.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like we may have another PR statehood vote soon. The house GOP agreed to a very simple yes/no one-question vote on statehood so that all opponents (independence, status quo, that "free association" bullshit, something else) can all come together to vote no if they don't want statehood rather than boycotting the vote. I presume they are confident that the vote would fail because things could get awkward if PR unambiguously supported statehood with a high turnout.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1067541837102108672

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sounds reasonable to ignorant centrist voters, drives Trump up the wall.

Are you the "ignorant centrist voter" here, or is this a straw man so you don't have to admit that you're not fundamentally opposed to funding the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kobayashi posted:

Are you the "ignorant centrist voter" here, or is this a straw man so you don't have to admit that you're not fundamentally opposed to funding the wall?

anything short of stuffing trump into a small box that locks from the outside is collaboration

since "the wall" is a huge stupid boondoggle that is never going to happen anyway for many reasons, allocating funding to it as part of poltical gamesmanship is not going to matter in any meaningful fashion

if trump wanted to grow a beanstalk large enough to reach the giant's castle so trump could acquire more gold, the democrats throwing a billion dollars at the project does not constitute a plot to overthrow the sky kingdom if that billion can be used to extract concessions elsewhere