Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

This theory type destroys the entire theme of Part 4

I sincerely think its constant resurgence proves that people dont know to consume and process fiction

"what if it's a time loop" is the internet's favorite plot point to theorize, along with "what if protagonist is actually bad guy" and "what if protagonist is dying and this is all just a dream"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Well, there was a time loop, it was just 11 years later and it only looped twice before a small child killed a priest with the vengeful spirit of the priest's brother.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Well, there was a time loop, it was just 11 years later and it only looped twice before a small child killed a priest with the vengeful spirit of the priest's brother.

he also made the priest paralyze himself first by speeding up his own oxygen poisoning

Jolyne raised that kid well, that was a joestar-quality trick

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
My theory is that the guy who giorno saved is the boss of passione

If you think that's dumb you're gatekeeping me

(I was going to post this in the anime thread but there are probably people who do think this)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've definitely seen that before and it was the most bafflingly stupid take I've seen, beats time jumping Josuke by a mile.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The guy who Giorno saved doesn't look anywhere near as stupid as Diavolo does. Where's his weird mesh...pancho...thing?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

somepartsareme posted:

My theory is that the guy who giorno saved is the boss of passione

If you think that's dumb you're gatekeeping me

(I was going to post this in the anime thread but there are probably people who do think this)
To be honest it would have been kinda of better if Diavolo had killed Giorno's role model Gangstar at some point?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Nerds search for answers in fiction constantly. Perhaps its human to seek answers in everything but in my experience, loose ends cannot exist because everything must be documented on excruciating detail on the fan wiki.

People have been doing this sort of thing for nearly 2000 years, at least:

Suetonius, The Lives of the Twelve Caesars (Tiberius) posted:

Yet his special aim was a knowledge of mythology, which he carried to a silly and laughable extreme; for he used to test even the grammarians, a class of men in whom, as I have said, he was especially interested, by questions something like this: "Who was Hecuba's mother?", "What was the name of Achilles among the maidens?", "What were the Sirens in the habit of singing?"

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Funky Valentine posted:

The guy who Giorno saved doesn't look anywhere near as stupid as Diavolo does. Where's his weird mesh...pancho...thing?

It's called FASHION, nerd, look it up.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You know, I'm kind of surprised that, of all the weird theories about who the guy who saved Josuke is, no one thought that he might be a ghost? It's not like he wouldn't be the only one in Morioh, and according to the series, a ghost is still a person, so it still fits with the narrative of the people of Morioh helping one another out just because. Being dead wouldn't stop him from being a helpful dude.

It ultimately doesn't matter because of reasons we've been over time and again, but the story itself sounds like your average weird ghost story that Araki really likes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BaDandy posted:

You know, I'm kind of surprised that, of all the weird theories about who the guy who saved Josuke is, no one thought that he might be a ghost? It's not like he wouldn't be the only one in Morioh, and according to the series, a ghost is still a person, so it still fits with the narrative of the people of Morioh helping one another out just because. Being dead wouldn't stop him from being a helpful dude.

It ultimately doesn't matter because of reasons we've been over time and again, but the story itself sounds like your average weird ghost story that Araki really likes.

I’d never thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. It explains why Josuke never saw him again, at least.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BaDandy posted:

He can't be a ghost, ghosts end up in the owson corner of sub-reality for all eternity unable to turn around.

The passione gangster that inspired Giorno tho? It's josuke 2.0 where araki realized you can simply have a random stranger affect you so greatly that you base an aspect of your personality on their virtue. tying it into any convoluted methods or story beats would utterly ruin both the character's motivations and ring hollow. It would end up like Naruto where instead of championing hardwork over natural talent Naruto is a literally descendant of ninja Jesus. Thus making the entirety of naruto seem like a contradiction, because even with all the hardwork we are shown that natural aptitude trumps it everytime.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

He can't be a ghost, ghosts end up in the owson corner of sub-reality for all eternity unable to turn around.

Dead Man's Questions disagrees. :colbert:

But like, I do agree that that the guy's origin's ultimately doesn't really matter because his actions are more important.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I don't remember much about Baby Face 'cept its gross origins and how it ends, but I am super looking forward to seeing that fucker get Black Mamba'd.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I think it’s more jarring that the guy Giorno saved doesn’t come up again, since Giorno wants to enter his line of work and you’d think he’d want to ask that dude for a recommendation letter or something. Maybe Giorno would have done that, but then he started hustling at the airport, and (basically) killed Luca, setting off the chain of events that led to him joining the mob.

Maybe the nameless guy wasn’t part of Passione. I forget the exact timeline but maybe Diavolo didn’t control as much action when Giorno was that young, and there was still room for normal-rear end gangsters with no superpowers and conservative clothing.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The guy explicitly didn't want Giorno getting involved in the gang world, so maybe Giorno didn't want to ask him directly. Maybe he even did ask and was shot down for it. Who knows?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

The passione gangster that inspired Giorno tho? It's josuke 2.0 where araki realized you can simply have a random stranger affect you so greatly that you base an aspect of your personality on their virtue.

or as is the case with valentine, have a random stranger hype up your dad so much that you become a narcissist

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zeruel posted:

It's called FASHION, nerd, look it up.

diavolo's stupid shirt is like the only jojo outfit i don't like

that and fugo's swiss cheese pants, but i'm off-and-on on that one

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diavolos thing is just a mesh top he customized

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Diavolos thing is just a mesh top he customized

it still sucks

e: actually i'm not a fan of josefumi's shirt either

i guess weird mesh shirts is the line in the sand for me

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

How do you feel about anasui's outfit

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If it a top? I thought Diavolo just had sick tats. I dig the tats.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
his tattoos are on his arms but its definitely fabric, you can see how it drapes off his back

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Diavolo looks cool as hell, just a shame he doesn't get much screen time. I kinda hope the anime fleshed him out a little, cuz he could be way more interesting.

People are gonna hate him because he's not as good as Kira, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he's not as good as kira but anime-only people were also saying nothing could top dio, so, who really knows where people will be at the end of it all

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's really not much they can do to make Diavolo less of a lovely villain.

He's just going to look even worse when Pucci comes to town.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he has some cool moments, like the entirety of the metallica fight. it'll be an uphill battle, though, for the anime to somehow work everything into more of a satisfying depiction. they've done well with little extra moments to flesh out stuff so it's hard to tell what they'll end up doing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I like his design and King Crimson has a very angry little man on his forehead, so he's at least a foot character to have on screen. His actual role as an antagonist was kind of lame though.

I'm wondering what his voice will be, since they aren't gonna use the same guy that did Kira.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Doppio/Diavolo have the single greatest running gag in the whole series, so they have that going for them, at least.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

he's not as good as kira but anime-only people were also saying nothing could top dio, so, who really knows where people will be at the end of it all
I really want to see them react to Diego, really.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The one moment I hope they do justice is Doppio turning into Diavolo during the Metallica fight, where his eyes roll back and reveal Diavolo's hosed up irises on the other side. Also Doppio freaking out over the severed leg before it becomes clear whose leg it is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else i think the anime is breathing a lot of life into how the situations in part 5 are portrayed so i'm hopeful that it'll at least somewhat outweigh my overall dislike of the climactic fight and like. everything to do with requiem stands.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think the anime can do anything about the arrow being from space and stands are actually weird aliens or whatever the hell that was. Actually thinking about it, I never read the good translation of that. Was it any better?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's too bad la squadra didn't know the intent of bruno's gang or else they could have worked together

Risotto Nero got robbed

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FirstAidKite posted:

It's too bad la squadra didn't know the intent of bruno's gang or else they could have worked together

Risotto Nero got robbed

Well they were kind of assholes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

if the arrow gives you midichlorians what was darth vader's stand???

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Funky Valentine posted:

There's really not much they can do to make Diavolo less of a lovely villain.

He's just going to look even worse when Pucci comes to town.

I don't mind Diavolo, but everything I like about him is either Doppio or King Crimson, not so much Diavolo himself.

If that makes sense.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Diavolo himself just doesn’t have much of a personality. He has goals and some traits but there’s nothing interesting about him outside of his spilt personality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Diavolo's impossible backstory. It's cool that he's a mystery man trying to destroy all traces of his past and even when we get like an objective flashback to his past it's still got holes and doesn't quite add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, Diavolo is basically just like

It's like if someone decided that they wanted to reject their humanity in entirety and become a force of nature, something with no ties back to humans in any way, shape, or form, something that could live and control from the top and be recognized as this controlling force without actually having to exist in that position physically.

It's like he is directly attempting to become just like Fate and Gravity.