Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

His actions did not increase the number of Federal court positions Trump will get to fill.

This is 100% untrue. If he hadn't folded for literally no reason those people wouldn't have even been confirmed by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Schumer fast tracked 16 fascists onto the federal courts for life so Joe Donnelly and Claire Mccaskill could lose by 9 points instead of 11. He fails at both politics and policy should never be given the benefit of the doubt about anything.

They were going to be voted in anyway. The choice was not "either prevent 16 judges from serving on the court, or go home earlier" it was "go home earlier to campaign, or waste time in Washington doing nothing that will matter".

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

This is 100% untrue. If he hadn't folded those people wouldn't have even been confirmed by now.

Correct.

They would have instead been confirmed in December. MASSIVE difference!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

eke out posted:

v normal interview

Well, he certainly does have a gut

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rigel posted:

Correct.

I'm pretty sure they would've been confirmed by the first week of November, but only because evilweasel laboriously explained to him why he was wrong many times. of course, nothing has ever gotten through to mcmagic so why would it start now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

Correct.

There are, as a 100% certainty, going to be people getting confirmed in 2020 who would not have been able to be confirmed due to this "deal." You can't really even call it a deal since dems got LITERALLY nothing in the exchange.

I'll shut up about the "deal" if someone can explain to me why one Dem Senator who wasn't up for reelection could not have stayed in DC to deny them unanimous consent and make each one of the nominees take the full 72 hours.... There is literally zero justification for what happened.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 27, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

There are, as a 100% certainty, going to be people getting confirmed in 2020 who would not have been able to be confirmed due to this "deal." You can't really even call it a deal since dems got LITERALLY nothing in the exchange.

Last I checked, there weren't enough days left to run out the current empty spots before the end of Trump's term.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Read the thread?

The consensus seems to be that there is indeed 1.6B for border security?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

Looks like we may have another PR statehood vote soon. The house GOP agreed to a very simple yes/no one-question vote on statehood so that all opponents (independence, status quo, that "free association" bullshit, something else) can all come together to vote no if they don't want statehood rather than boycotting the vote. I presume they are confident that the vote would fail because things could get awkward if PR unambiguously supported statehood with a high turnout.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1067541837102108672

This is hosed up and is yet another example of the GOP loving with things to screw the Dems. "Yes Statehood" or "No Statehood" shouldn't be the options given. It should be "Statehood or Independence, pick one, no more being a territory".

That the referendum won't be structured like that pretty much ensures that "No" is going to win. And even if "No" loses, it's not like the GOP senate is going to admit PR.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Chomskyan posted:

So you don't understand what's happening, good.

This bill does not defund ICE, no.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

It appears that at some point last year, they allocated some amount of money for border security. Some of that money seems to have been delivered but not all of it, and there was some kind of deal in place to continue funding the government that Trump wants to torpedo to demand 5 billion for an actual wall. This is what I have gathered, I was reading on my phone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Last I checked, there weren't enough days left to run out the current empty spots before the end of Trump's term.

The senate has to do other things... Why would democrats do ANYTHING to make anything they do easier? It's just capitulation for the sake of it and it's offensive.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

The senate has to do other things... Why would democrats do ANYTHING to make anything they do easier? It's just capitulation for the sake of it and it's offensive.

Thanks for switching to a new, completely unrelated argument and abandoning your first one

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

You are apparently presuming that the Senate's capability to confirm judges will be jam-packed from now through 2020 for the entire two years. You are wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chomskyan posted:

So are the Democrats not offering 1.6B for border security?

If yes, then that's reprehensible, regardless of whether it has been offered before
If no, then I am so sorry for taking Chuck Schumer at his word

I already provided you a convenient way to get at least as informed as I am on that topic, learn to read

the current appropriations bill, which was used as a model for the short-term resolution that takes us from early October to early December, allocates 1.6 billion dollars for border fencing in the southwest Rio Grande region, subject to some restrictions you probably wouldn't care about even if you bothered to read them

if the reporting on what Schumer said is accurate and in-context, he may be willing to adhere to the appropriations bill's guidelines in the current shutdown negotiation

Lightning Knight posted:

It appears that at some point last year, they allocated some amount of money for border security. Some of that money seems to have been delivered but not all of it, and there was some kind of deal in place to continue funding the government that Trump wants to torpedo to demand 5 billion for an actual wall. This is what I have gathered, I was reading on my phone.

this is essentially accurate on the broad strokes; the deal isn't binding, exactly, but omnibus funding bills are big and hard (:pervert:) to reach agreement on, especially in a timely fashion, so any big changes A) risk a government shutdown, and B) risk the other side basically-correctly blaming the shutdown on that particular demand

if this is something that, for example, forums poster Lightning Knight considers an acceptable risk and/or correct tactic, that's fine!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 27, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
That being said I do think that being surprised that they held hearings without any Senators there is not the strongest leadership thing in the world. He shouldn't have been surprised.

uh-oh buddy. You really messed up. Somebody GAVE YOU A COB AVATAR, you're ded kiddo

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

VH4Ever posted:

Just for the record, I wasn't taking the tack the person you responded to here did. I know the state is very scenic and those pictures are cool. I've just been saying that it would be nice if we blend all these empty states together to make things a bit more fair in the Senate, like say, Wyodakodahotana?

I could probably come up with other good ideas on why South Dakota should be kept its own state, but first and foremost is that I'm not letting some fuckface North Dakotan have any claim over any of South Dakota's greatness. We have a literal *CORN PALACE*, invented Cookies and Cream ice cream, and major parts of National Treasure 2 AND Twister were filmed here. What does Montana or North Dakota have? Fracking? Pfffft. Our state legislators needed the state geologic survey to explain to them (during actual, real legislative session no less) why A: There is no oil in South Dakota (the answer is geology) and B: Why we couldn't build an evil Mr. Burns-style sideways oil rig to steal North Dakota's oil (because that's not how poo poo works). That was a good day in session.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Thanks for switching to a new, completely unrelated argument and abandoning your first one

I'm not abandoning anything. Both my arguments are correct and have yet to be contradicted.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

axeil posted:

This is hosed up and is yet another example of the GOP loving with things to screw the Dems. "Yes Statehood" or "No Statehood" shouldn't be the options given. It should be "Statehood or Independence, pick one, no more being a territory".

That the referendum won't be structured like that pretty much ensures that "No" is going to win. And even if "No" loses, it's not like the GOP senate is going to admit PR.

The people in PR would revolt at your proposed question and there would be another mass boycott.

Independence is actually a very small minority, most of the no vote either wants to keep things as they are, or vote for some weird vaguely-defined, poorly understood and probably illegal "free association."

If you have "either statehood or independence", a lot of people in Puerto Rico are going to protest the vote as illegitimate.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I'm not abandoning anything. Both my arguments are correct and have yet to be contradicted.

Actually, if you examine my posts closely, you shall find that I have never been owned and I am actually laughing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

There will not be any more judges put on the bench due to Schumer's actions, so yeah, you're factually wrong, and it's been trivially demonstrated.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eke out posted:

Actually, if you examine my posts closely, you shall find that I have never been owned and I am actually laughing.

You have not addressed my argument as to why you wanted the Dems to let the fascist GOP senate complete 3 months of work in 1 day without getting ANYTHING in return. Please address that.

theflyingorc posted:

There will not be any more judges put on the bench due to Schumer's actions, so yeah, you're factually wrong, and it's been trivially demonstrated.

That may or may not be true. Also if there is literally any action that the GOP Senate can take as a result of Schumer's capitulation that they couldn't have taken otherwise, it is a disaster on it's face.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

theflyingorc posted:

That being said I do think that being surprised that they held hearings without any Senators there is not the strongest leadership thing in the world. He shouldn't have been surprised.

uh-oh buddy. You really messed up. Somebody GAVE YOU A COB AVATAR, you're ded kiddo

there's some sort of pattern to when i get cobbed, but i just can't put my finger on it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

putting up a fight matters.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chomskyan posted:

So are the Democrats offering 1.6B for border security?

A bill with 1.6 billion passed in october, pre-election, trump is saying "now it's 5 billion" and democrats are saying "we'd rather shut down the government". You can twist that into them offering 1.6 billion, just like this bill doesn't end pedophila or gun violence or starvation so you can say dems are offering pedophila and gun violence and starvation in africa or any other random thing this bill doesn't end.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

You have not addressed my argument as to why you wanted the Dems to let the fascist GOP senate complete 3 months of work in 1 day without getting ANYTHING in return. Please address that.

sure: the math doesn't work out that way and you don't understand how the Senate works, even though people have tried to help you out in good faith several times over the prior several months.

If you find a post of yours in the old Trump thread, click the ? by your name, then scroll back, you can probably find those posts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eke out posted:

sure: the math doesn't work out that way and you don't understand how the Senate works, even though people have tried to help you out in good faith several times over the prior several months.

If you find a post of yours in the old Trump thread, click the ? by your name, then scroll back, you can probably find those posts.

Trust me, I read every response and what I said is an accurate description of what happened and it has not be contradicted here. They let the republicans do 3 months of work in 1 day for nothing in return.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

The people in PR would revolt at your proposed question and there would be another mass boycott.

Independence is actually a very small minority, most of the no vote either wants to keep things as they are, or vote for some weird vaguely-defined, poorly understood and probably illegal "free association."

If you have "either statehood or independence", a lot of people in Puerto Rico are going to protest the vote as illegitimate.

Free association being bullshit is why the question should be phrased as Statehood or Independence. Make it very clear that the status quo will not continue.

They can protest it as illegitimate all they want, but the US shouldn't own colonies anymore and make it very clear that the result will be binding. If Independence wins, the US will immediately stop doing all the things it does for PR, if Statehood wins they become a state.

Every other territory should also get the same vote. DC gets to become a state without a vote since they can't really become independent.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Trust me
no

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

axeil posted:

Free association being bullshit is why the question should be phrased as Statehood or Independence. Make it very clear that the status quo will not continue.

They can protest it as illegitimate all they want, but the US shouldn't own colonies anymore and make it very clear that the result will be binding. If Independence wins, the US will immediately stop doing all the things it does for PR, if Statehood wins they become a state.

Every other territory should also get the same vote. DC gets to become a state without a vote since they can't really become independent.

idk dude if people of Porto rico likes their current status they should get to keep it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I get it. You have to be an rear end in a top hat and make no content posts here to reinforce how much you hate me without actually addressing what I'm saying. The FACT is that they did 3 months of work in 1 day. You have no answer to that fact other than that you don't' like me and therefore I must be wrong.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rigel posted:

Don't give the status quo morons the option. Put statehood or independence on the ballot and then use the inevitable results to ram two new senators into office.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

putting up a fight matters.

sure, but there's some disagreement in this thread over what to fight for and what sort of risks to take

eg if we take Lightning Knight's posts in the last couple pages at face value, he thinks we should shut down the government until and unless McConnell blows up the filibuster rather than provide any amount of money for any form of border security

this is probably not what he meant to say, but it's an internally consistent position. not one that i happen to agree with, mind

edit: mcmagic, meanwhile, has been saying something to that effect but about basically everything, and I think that probably is what mcmagic meant to say, and i think shutting down the government until January 2021 was dumb when he argued for it in January 2017 and is dumb now

A more common position that's come up in fencechat is that the symbolism of fences/walls, specifically, is strong enough in the Age of Trump that the Democrats should make a hard stand on them specifically (while not necessarily, for example, totally defunding CBP without a reform proposal in place). In this particular context, the question becomes: do we risk shutting down the government over it? Are we fine with the GOP more-or-less-correctly blaming the shutdown on the Democrats insisting on removing the previously-agreed ten remaining months of fence-related funding? If we are fine with that, why? Is it because we think it's a correct tactical decision ("the country will support our moral stance more than they hate the shutdown"), or a bad tactical decision that nevertheless is a moral imperative?

I think I'm on "don't shut down the government over this, but it might be an additional handy wedge to get a short resolution until March or whatever rather than a ten-month bill", with a side helping of "also if we can goad Trump into making it about him being a big dumb baby, then a government shutdown is still not ideal but it maybe removes the threat of the Dems being unpopular for it".

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 28, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
President Big Brain

https://twitter.com/IanKullgren/status/1067553841619656704

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Republicans in 2009-10 didn't really choose their battles. They fought every battle they had access too on every axis. Why haven't dems learned this lesson a decade later?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Typo posted:

idk dude if people of Porto rico likes their current status they should get to keep it

Referendums are dumb and voters are stupid. Force them to become a state or an independent state. No more colonies.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Star Man posted:

I take it as a mark of pride that I live in a town in Wyoming that other people from Wyoming hate because, "there are too many Indians." Yellowstone and the Tetons are nice. Winter's pretty tame. It's not soul-crushingly expensive so long as you don't live in Jackson, though Cheyenne is turning into a bedroom community for Fort Collins, CO.

Wyoming's problem is that it's run by Republicans and the pendulum of the boom-bust economy means no one tries to do anything else around here but extract as oil and coal as they can until it goes tits up and the people stuck holding the bag with their new house or aircraft-carrier sized trucks can't pay for it anymore and cut their losses and repeat it all by moving to North Dakota. Wyoming would probably resemble Vermont if its politics weren't so right-wing.

Devil's Tower is pretty cool too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

eg if we take Lightning Knight's posts in the last couple pages at face value, he thinks we should shut down the government until and unless McConnell blows up the filibuster rather than provide any amount of money for any form of border security

this is probably not what he meant to say, but it's an internally consistent position. not one that i happen to agree with, mind

This is a really loving lovely thing to do, I just want to say for the record.

Framing being anti-wall as "he doesn't want to provide any money for border security" is some seriously hosed up logic, it is not an "internally consistent position" it is a strawman argument so you can knock it down and appear to be the reasonable one.

"Gee, how do I keep earning these corn cob avs?" asks the person disingenuous enough to pull this poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think I'm on "don't shut down the government over this, but it might be an additional handy wedge to get a short resolution until March or whatever rather than a ten-month bill", with a side helping of "also if we can goad Trump into making it about him being a big dumb baby, then a government shutdown is still not ideal but it maybe removes the threat of the Dems being unpopular for it".

100% agree that forcing another temporary funding patch would be the best outcome here, in that it would both avoid a shutdown (absent Trump throwing a fit and being personally responsible for it with a veto) and allow this entire process to start over from a position of much more strength in the new congress.

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lemming posted:

"Democrats: We Love The Status Quo" doesn't feel super catchy