Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a hyper-specific bloodline curse stand is way cooler and also fits the observations in the story itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Okay but it’s still made up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Patware posted:

primarily because I figured at this point he'd locked in on the idea that time powers were a big deal for him.
why would you think this considering he had only done it once before and Kira is in the manga for two years before he gets a time power

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Like Killer Queen was clearly set up to act as a mirror of Crazy Diamond (skulls versus hearts, pink/gold versus pink/blue, destroying versus restoring) that theres no way he was thinking about how he would totally give Kira a last second powerup when he has stated that he created Aya and Cinderella before thinking of giving Kira a new face and that was just a happy excuse to do it

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"I want people to focus on what's happening right now" seems to be good advice for reading/watching JoJo because that's just how serial fiction is. Like, a reader at the time wouldn't have seen the scene with the delinquent and think "aha! Josuke traveled back in time!" because there's no real precedent for that at the time of writing, especially in a story about why Josuke looks the way he does. I get that it's popular and all but it's still nothing to go on.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/1067435951348019201

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BaDandy posted:

"I want people to focus on what's happening right now" seems to be good advice for reading/watching JoJo because that's just how serial fiction is. Like, a reader at the time wouldn't have seen the scene with the delinquent and think "aha! Josuke traveled back in time!" because there's no real precedent for that at the time of writing, especially in a story about why Josuke looks the way he does. I get that it's popular and all but it's still nothing to go on.

Well in a sense it's good advice for high frequency serial media, but it really is kind of bad advice if you're looking at something that has been finished (especially if we're talking about something that's now like 20 year old).

It is perfectly fine to look at something once you're done reading it and try to judge it in the totality with the benefit of hindsight. You can totally add nuance to scenes already written later on.

Araki does introduce characters in passing and then reintrodue them back into the story with little warning. Part 4 is also by far the highest count of this happening of the first 4 parts. It really isn't without merit to wonder if something more was going on with that scene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Do you think Mista ever has to intimidate people to make them stop watching him feed his gun salami?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

FirstAidKite posted:

"how to look like you're communicating with ghosts by scratching a message into your arm lightly and then quickly rubbing back and forth with a charm to increase blood flow to the area in order to make a message appear"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do you think Mista ever has to intimidate people to make them stop watching him feed his gun salami?

Anyone caught staring has to pay for their next salami.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How does someone read a post that lead to a three page argument without also reading the three page argument

By being wise as gently caress because I just read through it and severely regret it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Patware posted:

I'm pretty sure word of Araki is: The World is DIO's Stand, other Hermit Purple is Jonathan's.

I ignore databooks from every manga, since trying to remember how to spell Quwrof Wrlccywrlfh every time is really distracting

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I bring content from a distant land that you will probably find a lot less hysterical than I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTeQjKg4O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW04uchNOy4

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't know Koichi was friends with DIO.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love how much BT looks nothing like modernJoJo and only sorta like Part 1 JoJo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The halcyon days when Araki's art did an imitation of Tezuka.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

OH no. Some poor kid is about to fall under the ambulance :worry:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That kids name is actually Koichi.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Someone finally did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muv_yxq1Lqs

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Funky Valentine posted:

The halcyon days when Araki's art did an imitation of Tezuka.

It looks more like Nagai to me. Hard to tell when no-one's naked though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to wonder if Araki intentionally planned this or it just happened to work out that way. :allears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

wait a second

why do stands have blood

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:shrug:

It's always been that way. For some reason.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wait a second

why do stands have blood

Sometimes!

e: Oh, I misread. It's because shut up.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 28, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s just a visual shorthand to make sure you always remember that damage to a stand affects the owner

also it looks cool :shrug:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Because shut up

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

So I guess all of Araki's earlier work shows up in Jojo in some way?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Baoh is basically Star Platinum x Kars too. Even down to the arm blades.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Kar Platinum

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
josuke's grandma got hit by the same car twice in one day!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Expect My Mom posted:

josuke's grandma got hit by the same car twice in one day!

Oh poo poo is Lisa Lisa okay.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Expect My Mom posted:

Like Killer Queen was clearly set up to act as a mirror of Crazy Diamond (skulls versus hearts, pink/gold versus pink/blue, destroying versus restoring) that theres no way he was thinking about how he would totally give Kira a last second powerup when he has stated that he created Aya and Cinderella before thinking of giving Kira a new face and that was just a happy excuse to do it

He obviously changes his mind a lot, and the guy in the snow was probably one of those times. It probably wasn't specifically bites the dust but he planned for someone to have time travel powers at some point given how much he uses time and reality manipulating powers.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

a strength of jojo is that it's so sure of its own poo poo that you're inclined to believe it because on top of everything else araki goes whole hog when it comes to coming up with explanations for weird poo poo that normally would never get an explanation
The essence of Jojo is Jotaro constantly raising the pot while everybody loses their goddamn minds, except Jotaro is entirely confident that he's got an unbeatable hand.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jotaro's absolutely not confident that he has an unbeatable hand, he's the literal opposite. He knows he has complete garbage, but mentally dominates D'Arby by acting like he's so confident of his victory that he'll bet the lives of people who aren't even in the room

CJ posted:

He obviously changes his mind a lot, and the guy in the snow was probably one of those times. It probably wasn't specifically bites the dust but he planned for someone to have time travel powers at some point given how much he uses time and reality manipulating powers.
please stop using Bites the Dust on this thread

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i thought he just didnt look at his cards cause he didn't want to know if they were bad

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Jotaro's absolutely not confident that he has an unbeatable hand, he's the literal opposite. He knows he has complete garbage, but mentally dominates D'Arby by acting like he's so confident of his victory that he'll bet the lives of people who aren't even in the room
That's what I meant. I was trying to illustrate the difference between Jotaro being unable to rely on his cards and seeking other avenues to victory and the manga presenting everything with utmost confidence, no matter how unbelievable they are. My metaphors may need a bit of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah exactly.

He saw Polnareff and Joseph both fall to trickery, he knows that D'Arby will do the same to him, he'll just lose if he plays along with his game. So he keeps raising the stakes, pulling drinks out of nowhere, not even looking at his cards, psyching D'Arby out that "Oh poo poo, he must only be this confident if he can 100% beat me, but no there's no way right?"