Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

another issue adc has is if one of them hits 52% win rate the community shrieks about it until something is done to make the role more bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hoesntky I don’t think I’ve has a game go past like 27 minutes in 2 week or something

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

another issue adc has is if one of them hits 52% win rate the community shrieks about it until something is done to make the role more bad

this is more of a champion specific thing i think, jinx had a high win rate for like 2 years and no one really cared

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tales of Woe posted:

this is more of a champion specific thing i think, jinx had a high win rate for like 2 years and no one really cared

its been pretty different since the adc rework and people started citing their win rates in other roles and stuff. its not unusual for a huge amount of champs in the game to sit at higher than 52% win rate without ever being mentioned.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

For mid top and jungle you have to go down to like #25-30 on the list to get to 50% WR, for ADC and spt it's around 10-15. Just a grip less mathematically viable picks available so the ones that are both popular and winningest are easy to spot

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's not a big variety in bot lane carries either way. Their job has pretty much always been sitting in bottom lane, farming, and trying to take over late as opposed to mid or top which can have a ton of different roles in the team and the freedom to roam. The styles have pretty much always been "Lane Bully, Utility, general all-around or late-game exclusive" and since they're almost always primarily AD and ranged there's not a lot of variance you can get there.

Mid lane carries offer a lot more divergence even between champions in similar roles. There's both AP and AD assassins who like to roam, there's long range artillery type champions like Lux or Xerath, there's lane bullies, there's burst mages, wave clear focused, siege focused, CC focused/engage heavy champions, pure utility champions like Lulu, and you can even pop in tanks like Sion or Galio or on occasion just regular ADCs in there and nobody bats an eye.

Down in bottom lane they outright tried to put Mordekaiser down there and realized that for a melee champion to do well there he had to be OVERLY powerful to make up for all the poke he's going to be taking (IE: The Juggernauts) and just about any other time champions outside a normal ADC gets picked up down there, they're either nerfed directly or via itemization until they're niche or unplayable.

Ziggs was big for a minute in bottom lane because of his ability to poke hard and tear down towers and they ended up changing his numbers rather than giving people a natural meta against that type of play. In solo queue before the nerf you were seeing people just pick up Viktor or other mages to combat Ziggs which understandably created a scenario where you either banned Ziggs or had to plan to play against him but they kind of just hit things too hard and too early in bottom lane compared to any other role besides Jungle.

Bottom lane's big hiccup is also this idea that all ADCs need a lot of farm to be relevant and are fairly weak early since most of them have very little CC on their own, few of them have natural escape mechanics, and a handful of them rely a on specific items to reach a spike, like crit items before they're relevant. Because of how few ADCs there actually are and their reluctance to let non ADC champions stay in bottom lane of course there's going to be like, 10 viable champions at any given time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Pantheon bot lane carry :getin:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

adcs are critically endangered and riot has them in a conservation park(bot lane) where they try to get them to breed in captivity but it doesnt work because ghostcrawler keeps forcing all the adcs to be the same champion except jhin

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
feed to become a (marks)man

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Anidav posted:

To further my own post, some people just don't know how to handle his passive by the way. It's a lot of fun to just block their first auto attack and they get immoderately scared of any lane fight with you.

goatrope
Feb 24, 2007
presented without comment:

https://i.imgur.com/dKrVI3q.gifv

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Anidav posted:

No joke, panth + brand bot Lane is a loving killer. Brand is good against super tanks (or rather, as good as a non full build adc) and that lane is 100% awful for the other side. You can probably alternate farm or feed it all to either brand OR panth.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I see whacky poo poo in botlane a lot more nowadays than before. Just last week I saw people do Karthus bot, a Zyra/Brand botlane (that was so hellish to play against,) Yasuo bot seems to be perfectly viable (at least through gold) because botlaners are incredibly bad at playing against him.

e: What level was the Draven-one-shotting Karthus?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

If it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't remember a day where Lucian isn't very good

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Tired Moritz posted:

I can't remember a day where Lucian isn't very good

there were a couple months where he was bad but it didn't last that long. On the whole he's been one of the more consistently picked ADCs in pro play along with ez and varus. other picks have been more popular at times but those three have remained viable for awhile.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I honestly think a big part of his pro play viability, and just viability in general, is that he can fight early with his double attack passive and he has a pseudo escape in his dash + wave clear ultimate. Ez's the same way on the escape and ult.

Varus I don't really get, I guess it's his long range poke and pretty hefty hybrid damage with a snare ult? I guess it helps that he spikes pretty hard on rageblade as well

Edit: I think that the only time Lucian has been considered bad was when all the hyperscaling carries were absolutely bonkers, right? There was just no reason to pick him when the scalers were so much better and games were actually going long enough.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Lucian has spent a lot of the past several years on the bench. there's been a lot of hypercarry metas

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
one item damage spikes are good when the games are decided in 10 minutes

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lucian was out of contention for at least 6 months after they hard nerfed his passive and range and his core items all in one fell swoop. He's a flashy, mobile, and aggressive ADC so you'll always see him whether or not he's good.

I actually think one of the most underapprecisted parts of Lucian is that you get a TON of free movespeed from the combo of Cleaver + hitting someone marked with W. It makes you legitimstely pretty speedy and hard to pin down even discounting his E.

Now if you wanna talk about ADCs who are good at every stage of the game, you're thinking about Xayah.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Serious question - I love playing Xayah (only played her a couple times now, since I usually stick to mid), but I seem to have hella bad mana problems with her. Do you just use bladecaller to poke/deny?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Serious question - I love playing Xayah (only played her a couple times now, since I usually stick to mid), but I seem to have hella bad mana problems with her. Do you just use bladecaller to poke/deny?

you should sell your soul to the devil for extra mana since you are already going to hell for playing her anyway

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

not that long ago lucian was absolutely the worst adc, it was after he got an E nerf and then itemization just made him godawful

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Erdricks posted:

You should only ever use Bladecaller in a situation where you're reasonably confident you'll get a root off with it, or if you're hard shoving the wave in to take a back. ADCs are designed differently than mid mages in that their abilities are usually meant to complement their autoattacks, rather than being their main "punch," and their mana usage is balanced around that.

rabidsquid posted:

not that long ago lucian was absolutely the worst adc, it was after he got an E nerf and then itemization just made him godawful

Yeah, he was total dogshit for most of the season. Before Conqueror and 8.11 was introduced, he had to deal with 2-3 tanks per game (largely nullifying his midgame damage advantage) and was up against hypercarries that spiked hard off of two items and continued to scale up way better than him. His rise is a combination of a bruiser-heavy meta favoring his midgame damage and mobility, a core build with strong survivability, more aggressive supports coming to prominence, most hypercarries having three item spikes, and games going shorter overall.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Lucian was also a lane bully in a meta with hilarious ad sustain bot with pre-nerf targons/doran's shield/fleet footwork, that's why he was transitioned mid for quite a while to beat up on mages

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hellooooooooooo LoL goons, I do not play LoL, I know zero about it besides that I can't turn the camera so for that reason I can't play it without having a tempter tantrum. But this isn't about me! My fiance's brother plays lots of LoL and loves it and stuff. Being the gamer in the household, I was given the task of sorting out his Christmas present(s), specifically gaming-related presents.

So what do I buy him? My options at the moment are:

- Riot Points: These just buy skins, right? I mean if he plays all the time, how many RPs is he really gonna need to get whatever skins he's after? Do RPs buy anything else?
- LoL Art Book: He's an artist, so this appears to make sense on the surface.... but whenever I've got an artbook for a game I loved I've looked at it once and gone "that's cool" and put it on a shelf forever; but maybe the LoL draw is all about the art! I have no idea!
- Gaming PC Peripheral of some sort: A new mouse or keyboard or somesuch; sadly I don't know his taste in these things and for reasons I can't really get any info about it reliably
- Other (please specify): Something else? Like what tho?

I know this is a weird af post in a Games thread, but like, if y'all came and asked the same on the Overwatch thread I'd probably have some decent ideas! However I know literally zero about LoL and that's the only game he plays, sooooo really hoping y'all can give me good ideas. Budget is right around $75 or so.

What LoL-related stuff do y'all want for Christmas?! In before snarky references to balance changes that I won't get anyway bc I don't play this game

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I mean Riot has league merch on their store if his dick is that hard for it. https://na.merch.riotgames.com/en/

Otherwise yeah I'd just probably get him a bunch of Riot points. Someone else might have a better idea though.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

No clue what makes my future bro-in-law erect, but I don't think merch is it. He basically wears the same clothes all the time and I don't think he's much for decorations or plushies or so on.

Just realized the art book is available for free over the internet, so think I'll probably not go that route. I guess just getting him a fuckton of RP is probably the surest-fire thing. Is $75 of RP a lot of RP?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

black.lion posted:

No clue what makes my future bro-in-law erect, but I don't think merch is it. He basically wears the same clothes all the time and I don't think he's much for decorations or plushies or so on.

Just realized the art book is available for free over the internet, so think I'll probably not go that route. I guess just getting him a fuckton of RP is probably the surest-fire thing. Is $75 of RP a lot of RP?

That's a sizeable amount, yes. Skins generally range in (converted) price from around $5-35, depending on the quality of the skin, so that'll let him get either a few really nice skins or a solid bundle of lower priced ones.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Word! And LoL has like a thousand characters all with multiple skins etc.... so there's basically no way he, like, "doesn't need anything" from RP... yes?

I can't believe how easy shopping for my fellow gamers has become.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Buy him an Ezreal cosplay costume. It’s secretly what all league players want. It’s the reason he and Teemo have so many skins.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

black.lion posted:

you could also find out what his fav champ/skin are and get some art commissioned in that vein, cpuld be cool but also if it's like battle bunny riven that could be a lewd and awkward opening on Christmas.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I would get him a Razer mouse. I don’t go to bat for many specific products, but their mouses are best in the business. I used one for like five years before the cable completely shredded and I replaced it with a Diamondback about a year ago.

Honestly I would use one if I didn’t game at all

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

I would get him a Razer mouse. I don’t go to bat for many specific products, but their mouses are best in the business. I used one for like five years before the cable completely shredded and I replaced it with a Diamondback about a year ago.

My deathadder, as well as a friend's, lasted under a year, so ymmv.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Miftan posted:

My deathadder, as well as a friend's, lasted under a year, so ymmv.

Oh whoops that’s the one I have now, diamondback is the old one

I guess it is a ymmv thing!!

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Beware that Deathadders have a problem where the right mouse button stops working

Kind of important in League ya know

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Beware that Deathadders have a problem where the right mouse button stops working

Kind of important in League ya know
That's what happened to mine, I moved over to Steelseries which you can find at Walmarts too and it works like a charm. But then again Tyler1 uses a basic rear end HP mouse with just a scroll wheel so

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I bought a mouse recently with a couple extra buttons thinking i would bind them to flash or whatever.

Mouse 3 flashes mastery, mouse 4 is voice chat, mouse 5 is /laugh. Money well spent

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I bound the side button to attack move, which is great for jungling as Graves and autoing minions during teamfights. During my awful attempts at playing Lee I bound it to trinket ward. My wardhopping wasn’t bad unlike the rest of my play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

On the other hand, literally every Razer product I've owned or used has been absolute garbage, so your mileage will definitely vary.

That being said, I do agree that rather than just dropping a fat stack of :10bux: on RP, you'd be better off buying a peripheral like a high quality game mouse / keyboard / whatever-they-might need. Mechanical mice are now a thing, so if he's playing a ton of video games where right-clicking is a thing (see: League, every other MOBA) it might be worth.