Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Oh neat. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shear Modulus posted:

i got on the nra's mailing list for a year or so for who knows what loving reason and all the fundraising letters i got that were signed wayne lapierre were written the exact same way where every other phrase was bolded, italicized, underlined, or some combination

NRA is scrub-tier, evangelicals are god-tier crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0zyrB1ziAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCRa5s3Un-M

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1067205118582509570

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Carl Von Awesomwitz posted:

He has his whole website up as an ISO file and you can get a physical copy if you find him handing them out in downtown Denver.

I don't want to keep looking at this poo poo, I know you guys can't get enough of this dumb crap, but I don't want to direct link him. If you want the website or ISO link PM me. Every page gets crazier until he's talking about how his nemeses neighbors are only pretending to have moved away so they can launch assassination attempt #11.

Y'know, if I wanted people to think the target of my harassment was crazy, deleting their TVGuide favorites would probably be what I do. Except, no, I wouldn't, because who the gently caress uses TVGuide as opposed to setting up their PVR for recording? And don't tell me that he may not have PVR, you have to go out of your way to request a box that doesn't have it nowadays.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

lmfao "this land has been in my family for generations and we will make America great again" bankrupted in a single season

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Small farms going bankrupt whether they are run by chuds or not is actually really loving bad for everybody lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Small farms going bankrupt whether they are run by chuds or not is actually really loving bad for everybody lol

you should make a thread about this interesting 'trump bad' idea you have going there

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Short term, sure. Then we nationalize it all. Problem solved. Chuds are now gubmint employees.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Doing a 180 from massive subsidies to nationalization would be amazing but it's never going to happen

Huge agricorps snapping up small farms' assets after they go bankrupt however is

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Doing a 180 from massive subsidies to nationalization would be amazing but it's never going to happen

Huge agricorps snapping up small farms' assets after they go bankrupt however is

That's when you nationalize the huge agricorps. Now instead of taking land from farmers youre crushing a huge oppressive mega corporation.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Agean90 posted:

That's when you nationalize the huge agricorps. Now instead of taking land from farmers youre crushing a huge oppressive mega corporation.

Gay space communism is going to be amazing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

but when these right wing voters who loudly support trump experience the dawning awareness of their financial downfall which hastens their demise, then perhaps we could post about it here, in this thread, and laugh at them

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Small farms going bankrupt was inevitable

The future of agriculture like most industries has always been conglomeration. The only choice is whether that centralization is publicly held or privately controlled

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but when these right wing voters who loudly support trump experience the dawning awareness of their financial downfall which hastens their demise, then perhaps we could post about it here, in this thread, and laugh at them

Things like soybean exports dropped by 90% after the trade war.

Also the Trump subsidy was something like only a few cents of the total loss for each bushel for things like corn.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A hearty lol for Americas heartland:

GM's Chevy Volt, and Donald Trump, failed to save Midwest

quote:

General Motors announced plans to close three assembly plants, one each in Michigan, Ohio and Ontario before the end of 2019.

I can't stop thinking about the launch of the Chevrolet Volt.

That car was my life for months. I covered post-bankruptcy General Motors for the Detroit Free Press chronicling one company all day, every day. Sometimes all night. That's how important GM was to our city.

In December 2010, I traveled to snowy New Jersey to watch a real estate agent buy the first Volt. The people I met along the way were effusive in their expectations for the car.

"Futuristic."

"Comeback kid."

"A signal."

"The premier car for General Motors."

The Volt, an electric car with a backup engine for long trips, was supposed to revitalize GM. Show the world Detroit could create revolutionary technology, compete with Asian automakers, produce something besides gas-guzzling SUVs. Prove the government-backed bailout had been worth it.

In many ways, the Volt also was supposed to save Detroit. The company's last plant within the Motor City's limits would build the vehicle.

America's most storied manufacturer would use American workers to build a new kind of American vehicle.

That dream is over now, likely for good.

'Bring back jobs'

On Monday, GM kicked off plans to close five plants, including the Detroit factory that built the Chevy Volt and the Ohio factory that built the Chevy Cruze compact car. It will kill those cars, and a few others, after the assembly lines shut down. Thousands of American workers are likely to lose their jobs, from the factories that are closing and from the parts suppliers, transportation workers and the like whose jobs support the assembly plants.

We know what that's like in this country. We've seen it before.

Just ask the American workers who voted for President Donald Trump in the 2016 election. Or take my word for it: I asked them myself, over and over, as a political reporter covering Ohio during that campaign.

Trump promised to bring back jobs when no one else was willing to. He acted like the economy was struggling when other politicians (and fact-checking journalists, including this one) touted the low unemployment rate. More than that, he understood the despair workers felt when their new job didn't pay like their old one. The fear they felt when they thought of starting over in their 60s.

Trump won Michigan thanks in part to those workers. He won Ohio by a landslide for much the same reason. Trumbull County, Ohio, has voted Democratic in almost every election since 1928. In 2016, the county backed Trump.

And now Trumbull County is losing its auto plant.

That's a problem for Trump. For now, he's channeling anger, the kind of anger workers connected with in 2016.

"They better drat well open a new plant there very quickly, Trump told The Wall Street Journal on Monday, referencing the Lordstown, Ohio, factory closure. "I told them, 'Youre playing around with the wrong person.' "

What will happen when the workers are out of a job?

Missed targets and a new electric car

In the end, Americans didn't want small cars. Or, as gas prices fell, electric cars.

When I covered GM, then-CEO Dan Akerson said he wanted the company to build more than 100,000 Chevy Volts a year. The company missed that target from the start; in private, GM employees admitted it was never realistic. Last year, U.S. sales barely cleared 20,000.

"There is no scenario under which the Volt, estimable as it may be, will make any material contribution to GM's fortunes for many years," Steven Rattner, former head of the Obama administration's auto task force, wrote in his 2010 book, "Overhaul." Even that dour prediction was too generous.

GM now has a new electric car: the Chevy Bolt, built in Detroit's northern suburbs. In some ways, it keeps alive the dream the Volt started.

The Bolt lacks the backup engine the Volt had. GM engineers thought that engine would help traditional car consumers accept an electric vehicle.

As it turned out, traditional car buyers were never going to buy a Volt, period. Plus, in the Bolt, you can drive up to 238 miles on electric power, so you're less likely to need the engine. Still, GM sold only 23,000 Bolts last year.

Innovation in the U.S. auto industry has taken a different direction, so the Lake Orion plant is scheduled to produce a self-driving car next year. Once again, GM is betting American workers can make a new kind of American car.

Wall Street analysts say GM is on the right track and that's important for keeping the company profitable and keeping its stock at a healthy price. That's the ultimate job of CEO Mary Barra. On Monday, she embraced tough, painful cost-cutting instead of keeping historic plants and avoiding layoffs.

Prebankruptcy GM didn't change strategies fast enough or let go of beloved-but-stale ideas quickly enough. Barra wants her GM to be different. She wants it to stay around.

Redeeming history?

Longevity preserving an American icon has always been part of the GM turnaround. But it's more than that.

"The job is spiritual for me," GM's Mark Reuss said in early 2010, when I worked for Automotive News.

Reuss, who then ran the company's North American operations, had endured more than his share of heartache at GM. His father, former GM President Lloyd Reuss, was fired in a 1992 boardroom coup. Mark Reuss stayed with the company, only to see it continue to flounder and, finally, to require a government bailout to keep from closing in 2009.

After the automaker emerged from bankruptcy that year, Mark Reuss drove to the ruins of the Buick City factory complex in Flint with his son. Lloyd Reuss had run Buick from the complex, and Mark Reuss started his career there.

The youngest Reuss asked: Why did this happen, Dad?

I finally turned to my son and said, This happened because we could not compete,' Reuss told his audience, choking up. I never thought those words could come from my mouth.

For Reuss, at least, GM's turnaround offered a chance to redeem history. To provide a livelihood for American workers, building vehicles they could be proud of. To use a company's prosperity to invest in an American city.

Perhaps we should have expected the layoffs of thousands of American workers. But that wasn't part of the plan.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/...ingawful.com%2F

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Odin Valhalla SS is just a concerned warrior for free speech

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She may not be at Ben Shapiros level, but she sure is getting the full Shapiro treatment. And her helicopter parents can only save her by paying her rent and expenses.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1067850063123267585

Ammon Bundy, who gained fame after spearheading standoffs with federal authorities and law enforcement, is breaking with President Donald Trump over Trumps hard-line immigration views. The dissent has earned him death threats, he said in a video posted to Facebook.

He has basically called them all criminals and said theyre not coming in here. It seems that theres been this group stereotype, Bundy said of Trumps immigration rhetoric in the video. But what about those who have come here for reasons of need?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
trump: too extreme for y'all qaeda

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So more midwest cities will get turned into a depressing Bruce Springsteen song.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

trump: too extreme for y'all qaeda

Never Forget

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blue tarp man, blue tarp man

blue tarp man hates government man

they always fight, government wins

government man

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1067850063123267585

Ammon Bundy, who gained fame after spearheading standoffs with federal authorities and law enforcement, is breaking with President Donald Trump over Trumps hard-line immigration views. The dissent has earned him death threats, he said in a video posted to Facebook.

He has basically called them all criminals and said theyre not coming in here. It seems that theres been this group stereotype, Bundy said of Trumps immigration rhetoric in the video. But what about those who have come here for reasons of need?

it seems bizarre until you consider that the bundys don't consider themselves american citizens either

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we should deport the bundy family

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/dweckshow/status/1067235162755395589

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Al! posted:

it seems bizarre until you consider that the bundys don't consider themselves american citizens either

aren't hardline sovereigns anti-border? he implies that those without need who are also not criminals are still bared, which can only be for racism if so.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol GM called the mass layoff a "staffing transformation"

https://qz.com/work/1475097/gm-layoffs-general-motors-press-release-translated/

quote:

In a jargon-filled pressed release, General Motors today (Nov. 26) announced it is laying off 15% of its salaried workers and unallocatingerr, closingfive plants in the US and Canada.

As CNN puts it, the automaker is reinvesting money away from cars that once dominated Americas roadways and putting it into technology it believes will power its future.

Or, as GM put it, its going to strengthen its core business, capitalize on the future of personal mobility and drive significant cost efficiencies.

The rest of the press release was similarly euphemistic. For claritys sake, weve made some edits to it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

that's the part i find hard to square with their beliefs, since they also call themselves patriots

i mean obviously it's not even close to internally consistent, but how do you twist your brain up like that

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

they're far more anti-government than they are racist

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro, he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch they didnt have nothing to do. They didnt have nothing for their kids to do. They didnt have nothing for their young girls to do.

And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do? he asked. They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And Ive often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didnt get no more freedom. They got less freedom.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al! posted:

it's infuriating comparing how obummer treated the bundies vs the strikebreaking tactics used at Standing Rock

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's the part i find hard to square with their beliefs, since they also call themselves patriots

i mean obviously it's not even close to internally consistent, but how do you twist your brain up like that

it's because they believe that they're living like True Americans Just The Way The Founding Fathers Have Wanted It

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro, he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch they didnt have nothing to do. They didnt have nothing for their kids to do. They didnt have nothing for their young girls to do.

And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do? he asked. They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And Ive often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didnt get no more freedom. They got less freedom.

not every right winger is a white supremacist, but they all hate black people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

got any sevens posted:

it's infuriating comparing how obummer treated the bundies vs the strikebreaking tactics used at Standing Rock

he was and is a republican

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

got any sevens posted:

White Supremacy is a hell of a drug.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Al! posted:

not every right winger is a white supremacist, but they all hate black people

actually it makes sense, he wants messicans tendin' his cattle and negroes pickin' his cotton

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he was and is a republican

tell that to the republicans

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
republicans aren't even able to acknowledge that obama is human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

republicans aren't even able to acknowledge that obama is human.

by virtue of melanin he isn't according to their worldviews