Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

which is relevant and will continue to be relevant until backwards compatibility with purchases from previous consoles becomes the standard a la pc and steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I think I'm nearing the end of Prey -- I just rebooted the entire station to unlock airlocks and the main lift, and then Alex invited me to his office to talk -- and I'm still head over heels with it. I'm pushing 50 hours yet I'm still eager to clean up my 10 remaining sidequests. It's a joy to explore the nooks and crannies of Talos I; it's so well realized. I love that the fast travel system is spacewalking around its exterior. (I hate that microgravity gives me all the same anxieties as underwater levels.) The strength of the setting comes mostly from the storytelling, which makes the station feel convincingly like a place where people lived and worked. Prey does an exceptional job of spinning narrative through text/audio logs and the environment, I think even better than the games that inspired it. I love getting to a new area and piecing together what happened from emails and notes and corpses. Through these artifacts I've built this web of distinct characters in my head, and I'm still sifting through who knew what and when as the station became infested. Logs reward careful reading -- the sense of dread that settled over me as I pieced together that none of the crew knows what the "reployer" units all over the station are for was a delight. I have a few gripes: there's barely any enemy variety, combat is boring, the nightmare becomes more annoying than scary as you keep encountering it, and hacking is best avoided since it only helps you skip exploration. But overall, as someone who has been disappointed by the recent Deux Ex and Bioshock games, Prey feels like it was made for me. I regret skipping it in favor of HZD last year, control issues at release aside.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Can anyone recommend a usb hub I can plug into the back port that will work with the PSVR usb? The one I have seemed to have an issue mid-use which sucked. I'd rather not use the front ports if I can get away with it.

Also I read all over that an external hard drive won't work off a hub, just want to make sure that is still the case.

In case it matters I have the Spider-man ps4 pro.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ps5witch

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Comfortador posted:

Can anyone recommend a usb hub I can plug into the back port that will work with the PSVR usb? The one I have seemed to have an issue mid-use which sucked. I'd rather not use the front ports if I can get away with it.

Also I read all over that an external hard drive won't work off a hub, just want to make sure that is still the case.

In case it matters I have the Spider-man ps4 pro.

Does the pro have more than 2 USB ports??

I may actually have to get one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fair enough, and I know it's a hot take, but as a Kirby enthusiast since childhood I feel it's my duty to temper a bit of the deification Lee has received int he last decade.

Regardless of how you feel about him, this is funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

I think I'm nearing the end of Prey -- I just rebooted the entire station to unlock airlocks and the main lift, and then Alex invited me to his office to talk -- and I'm still head over heels with it. I'm pushing 50 hours yet I'm still eager to clean up my 10 remaining sidequests. It's a joy to explore the nooks and crannies of Talos I; it's so well realized. I love that the fast travel system is spacewalking around its exterior. (I hate that microgravity gives me all the same anxieties as underwater levels.) The strength of the setting comes mostly from the storytelling, which makes the station feel convincingly like a place where people lived and worked. Prey does an exceptional job of spinning narrative through text/audio logs and the environment, I think even better than the games that inspired it. I love getting to a new area and piecing together what happened from emails and notes and corpses. Through these artifacts I've built this web of distinct characters in my head, and I'm still sifting through who knew what and when as the station became infested. Logs reward careful reading -- the sense of dread that settled over me as I pieced together that none of the crew knows what the "reployer" units all over the station are for was a delight. I have a few gripes: there's barely any enemy variety, combat is boring, the nightmare becomes more annoying than scary as you keep encountering it, and hacking is best avoided since it only helps you skip exploration. But overall, as someone who has been disappointed by the recent Deux Ex and Bioshock games, Prey feels like it was made for me. I regret skipping it in favor of HZD last year, control issues at release aside.

Allright, you convinced me. I'm gonna give it another shot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ugh. JUST got my 15$ code. Any pan deals still live?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've just run into an absolutely baffling issue with my PS4 and PS4 Pro, and want to see if this rings a bell for anybody because I am completely dumbfounded by what this can be.

A little over a week ago my PS4 Pro started hard shutting down in the middle of use. As in no light at all on the console. Once this would happen, the console would completely refuse to even attempt to power on or even eject the disc unless I killed the power to it (as in unplugging the power cable) and plugged it back in, but for like an hour or two it was impossible to get it to power on correctly, at best it would stay on for a split-second (even the power-on beep would be cut short). So I was thinking my PS4 Pro was dying, and set up a service request for it over the weekend.

I had an older model "fat" PS4 hooked up (the all-matte kind with real buttons) in the iterim, and just today it did the exact same thing. Now given the difference in model there were some differences in how things were setup exactly, with the only common points being the HDMI cable/port used on the TV, and network cable. What's weird is I had it hooked up elsewhere on the same TV (different input, HDMI cable/port and network cable) and no issues. The only other common element was a newer model Playstation camera hooked up, the same one in both cases.

Now what baffles me is how an HDMI cable, network cable, or Playstation Eye are capable of somehow causing a console to fail this hard and for this long, like I actually do have to let the console sit for a few hours before it'll be usable again, even if I unplug it from power and everything.

Any ideas? :psyduck:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

I've just run into an absolutely baffling issue with my PS4 and PS4 Pro, and want to see if this rings a bell for anybody because I am completely dumbfounded by what this can be.

A little over a week ago my PS4 Pro started hard shutting down in the middle of use. As in no light at all on the console. Once this would happen, the console would completely refuse to even attempt to power on or even eject the disc unless I killed the power to it (as in unplugging the power cable) and plugged it back in, but for like an hour or two it was impossible to get it to power on correctly, at best it would stay on for a split-second (even the power-on beep would be cut short). So I was thinking my PS4 Pro was dying, and set up a service request for it over the weekend.

I had an older model "fat" PS4 hooked up (the all-matte kind with real buttons) in the iterim, and just today it did the exact same thing. Now given the difference in model there were some differences in how things were setup exactly, with the only common points being the HDMI cable/port used on the TV, and network cable. What's weird is I had it hooked up elsewhere on the same TV (different input, HDMI cable/port and network cable) and no issues. The only other common element was a newer model Playstation camera hooked up, the same one in both cases.

Now what baffles me is how an HDMI cable, network cable, or Playstation Eye are capable of somehow causing a console to fail this hard and for this long, like I actually do have to let the console sit for a few hours before it'll be usable again, even if I unplug it from power and everything.

Could the power cable itself be bad? Were you using the same one between the two PS4s or a different one?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rolo posted:

Does the pro have more than 2 USB ports??

I may actually have to get one.

Yeah, it has a port on the back in addition to the two on the front.

veni veni veni posted:

Allright, you convinced me. I'm gonna give it another shot.

I think you'd enjoy it for sure. What made you bounce off of it?

univbee posted:

Console shutting itself off and then refusing to power on until it sits for a while sounds like overheating. Are both the PS4s getting plenty of air?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Could the power cable itself be bad? Were you using the same one between the two PS4s or a different one?

Not possible because they both use completely different power cables (I have a launch PS4 Pro with the fatter molex cable).

acksplode posted:

Console shutting itself off and then refusing to power on until it sits for a while sounds like overheating. Are both the PS4s getting plenty of air?

That was my first thought but the consoles don't seem that hot when it happens and my understanding is that a PS4 overheating makes its glow bar show a red light. This is "gently caress it, everything dies".

I just hooked up my PS4 Pro again and changed the HDMI and network cables, and also left the camera unplugged. Hoping that works.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

univbee posted:

That was my first thought but the consoles don't seem that hot when it happens and my understanding is that a PS4 overheating makes its glow bar show a red light. This is "gently caress it, everything dies".

After I bought my Pro it'd just shut off mid-game a lot, with no red light, and the exterior didn't feel excessively hot. I was so convinced it was a faulty PS4 that I tried to return it to Target, but I didn't keep the receipt so they wouldn't take it. I ended up giving it more room to breathe and it hasn't crashed once since. :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

acksplode posted:

After I bought my Pro it'd just shut off mid-game a lot, with no red light, and the exterior didn't feel excessively hot. I was so convinced it was a faulty PS4 that I tried to return it to Target, but I didn't keep the receipt so they wouldn't take it. I ended up giving it more room to breathe and it hasn't crashed once since. :shrug:

That's my next step if this doesn't work (but my PS4 Pro has had plenty of room and only just started having problems). At this point I'm just glad I didn't pay $172.50 to repair a working console. :downs:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SAY WHAT

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

univbee posted:

Maybe try it with a different display, or turn off CEC? (Settings) > [System] > [Enable HDMI Device Link]

Might be getting an errant "power off the system" signal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Maybe try it with a different display, or turn off CEC? (Settings) > [System] > [Enable HDMI Device Link]

Might be getting an errant "power off the system" signal.

That would do a normal shut down. This is more immediate, like you pulled the power cable. And it wouldn't explain why the system doesn't turn back on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You have ghosts, I'm sorry.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JBP posted:

You have ghosts, I'm sorry.

This is the most likely conclusion.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

univbee posted:

That would do a normal shut down. This is more immediate, like you pulled the power cable. And it wouldn't explain why the system doesn't turn back on.

Eesh, that's nasty. Got a helium leak maybe?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gye4aw/why-a-helium-leak-disabled-every-iphone-in-a-medical-facility

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

I hate Bethesda games and never really got super into Dishonored but you're really making me want to play this, especially since it sounds less like it's shooter-oriented than it is exploration oriented, which is what I want out of First Person games that aren't Titanfall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate Bethesda games and never really got super into Dishonored but you're really making me want to play this, especially since it sounds less like it's shooter-oriented than it is exploration oriented, which is what I want out of First Person games that aren't Titanfall.

It really has nothing to do with bethesda aside from them publishing it. Arkane is totally their own thing. I wouldn't suggest passing judgement on any of their third party stuff due to disliking TES/Fallout. Most of it is good.

acksplode posted:

I think you'd enjoy it for sure. What made you bounce off of it?

Well, I'm not sure really. I didn't like the combat and that was a big part of it, and the enemy variety felt dire. I loved it in theory, because I like games that let me do things at my own pace and explore but I just totally lost interest after 6 or 7 hours. But I've considered going to back to it on multiple occasions because I felt like I must be missing something, if there is a game that on paper, is basically everything I like and almost everyone else seems to love it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zenimax really confused everyone with their branding huh?bethesda studios only developed fallout 3,4 and 76 and the elder scrolls games.
Anything else with the Bethesda label is just published by them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm liking it way more than I did Dishonored. It's definitely heavier on exploration. You can make it more shootery depending on which skills you unlock, but I'm playing as a stealthy sneak attack fucker, which seems ideal since the shooting kinda blows. Most of my gunshots are into the backs of unsuspecting enemies for that sweet 2.5x damage multiplier, usually an instant kill. The environments make great use of verticality; you can usually sneak around rooms among the rafters and light fixtures, and there's sometimes hidden maintenance passages up there too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Whoever I dissed when they recommended the double-barred shotgun for RDR2: I'm sorry, you were right, it rocks.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

Whoever I dissed when they recommended the double-barred shotgun for RDR2: I'm sorry, you were right, it rocks.

RDR’s shotguns are incredible across the board really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDvAp5LHy8

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samuringa posted:

It is my number one recommended weapon and you should be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

semi auto is the best one. it's disgustingly good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

To the point where when I unlocked the lever action one it was really underwhelming. Same with the rifles. The middle unlock (lancaster) rifle felt better then the final one you get.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I am awful at Tetris but my wife bought the new one because she loves the game. Holy poo poo is this game on another level with it's visuals and audio when playing with headphones on. I can only imagine how loving transendant the game is when using VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

To the point where when I unlocked the lever action one it was really underwhelming. Same with the rifles. The middle unlock (lancaster) rifle felt better then the final one you get.

Also the Semi auto pistol. But I feel like it kind of clashes with the game thematically.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not a rootin' tootin' break action and therefore idgaf

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Not possible because they both use completely different power cables (I have a launch PS4 Pro with the fatter molex cable).

I just hooked up my PS4 Pro again and changed the HDMI and network cables, and also left the camera unplugged. Hoping that works.

Univbee sighs and begins his holiday 2018 tech gift guide letter with grim determination

"Family and friends, ..."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

Also the Semi auto pistol. But I feel like it kind of clashes with the game thematically.

If it wasn't a Mauser and a couple of really old-school ones I'd agree, but I love using those so much. And they don't even jam like a real one would! :swoon:

Going back to GTAV has been fun, but I really miss the oomph of each shot from RDR2. That's definitely a valid design choice to fit the tone of the game, but *phwoot* for a shotgun is way less satisfying than *KBLAM* and missing limbs.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nah the PS5 will be the PS[emoji]. The [emoji] will be entirely new and added to unicode just for the PS[emoji]. How you pronounce PS[emoji] will vary wildly by region.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ok finally getting tired with RDR2 so I’m about to start bloodborne again and find a weapon this time. Let’s gooooo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I will be cautious to back a PSwitch based on sonys tendency to just abandon things if they dont take off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
really starting to feel i ripped myself off buying the Reignited Trilogy

the first game is great but it's also 4-5 hours long and the other two are loving terrible

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So for one more oddity in all this since it just happened with my regular PS4, for some reason blowing the hell out of the ports on the back gets it going again. Some sort of errant conductive dust on one of my cables causing a short? I don't loving now, but stuff is actually working right now so hopefully I can reliably cowboy shooty shooty in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That seems unlikely outside of a hospital or research lab but it's still a fascinating story.