Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Beastie posted:

Does armor with a perk like “Gain Thorns equal to 264% of your vitality” do anything for a wizard that does not deal or have thorn damage?

Asking for a, uh, friend. You wouldn’t know him, he goes to another school.

wizards can't really do much with thorns from what I understand, they want to avoid getting hit whether through dodging and playing keepaway or generating shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

Does armor with a perk like Gain Thorns equal to 264% of your vitality do anything for a wizard that does not deal or have thorn damage?

Asking for a, uh, friend. You wouldnt know him, he goes to another school.

It doesn't do "nothing" but unless it's got better regular stats than other gear, it's nearly guaranteed you have better options available

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Kamikaze Raider posted:

You may be right. I think the top Necro on the leaderboards for Grifts uses Cycle and an Iron Rose in the offhand.

It probably all depends on which of the pair you own has straight up better stats. Jesseths is overall great for wiping trash out; good for if it's the best thing you've got to go run bounties. If your Cycle/Rose pair have a clear single-target damage output hike, or are just plain better because they're ancients and/or have better stat rolls, then that's going to be ideal for rifts. Some gear in a build is situational.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Sorry if this has already been answered. Can you stack a legendary power by cubing it and equipping the same item?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

poonchasta posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered. Can you stack a legendary power by cubing it and equipping the same item?

No. It uses the cubed item effect.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

5er posted:

It probably all depends on which of the pair you own has straight up better stats. Jesseths is overall great for wiping trash out; good for if it's the best thing you've got to go run bounties. If your Cycle/Rose pair have a clear single-target damage output hike, or are just plain better because they're ancients and/or have better stat rolls, then that's going to be ideal for rifts. Some gear in a build is situational.

While I agree that's the general approach to gearing, pushing GRift leaderboards is where the min/maxers come to play. After just scanning through a bunch of the +100 GRift runs, they are ALL using Cycle. The Phylactery seems to fit what you're saying, but Cycle + Phylactery seems to be the meta for high GRift runs, at least.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 22, 2018

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

m.hache posted:

If I recall the only real character that can use thorns effectively is the crusader who can specifically build around it. Otherwise it's a wasted stat.

Wow, great to know. I’ve always wondered wtf was up with thorns.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kamikaze Raider posted:

While I agree that's the general approach to gearing, pushing GRift leaderboards is where the min/maxers come to play. After just scanning through a bunch of the +100 GRift runs, they are ALL using Cycle. The Phylactery seems to fit what you're saying, but Cycle + Phylactery seems to be the meta for high GRift runs, at lease.

While true, the difference between “minmaxed perfect gear” and “the same gear but poo poo rolls” can be dramatic in practice even if it doesn’t look like it on the surface. It’s important not to fall into the trap of “I need to follow this GR130 viable build to the letter at GR80 or lower”, because adjusting for better individual pieces you have on hand can make a huge difference in the content you can clear.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Anyone have a few min to PL on the Switch?

SW-2376-6373-8122

Logged in now. I'll return the favor.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
How does the quick match-thing work on Switch? I've tried it a couple of times and it didn't match me with anyone. Does it only match you with people in your friends list or something?

Man the damage / difficulty scaling is weird in this after playing so much PoE. My witch doctor was struggling a bit until I found two set items that give the "your haunt deals 530 seconds worth of damage instantly when hitting a monster already affected with haunt"-bonus and now I'm oneshotting everything, including rift bosses up to torment 7 or so. Should probably push the difficulty higher, but he's quite the glass cannon for now and I'm playing HC.

I kind-of hate Blizzard's weird fetish with GIANT numbers. When your damage numbers hit billions and your attack power is something around 800 000 it gets a bit confusing to try and figure out what numbers are "good enough" or not.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

While true, the difference between “minmaxed perfect gear” and “the same gear but poo poo rolls” can be dramatic in practice even if it doesn’t look like it on the surface. It’s important not to fall into the trap of “I need to follow this GR130 viable build to the letter at GR80 or lower”, because adjusting for better individual pieces you have on hand can make a huge difference in the content you can clear.

100% agree. Sorry, I wasn't at all trying to say that anyone should strictly adhere to some kind of gear orthodoxy solely based upon Grift leaderboard builds. I was just saying that it could be possible that Cycle is the better choice, all other things being equal, because so many of the top grift runs use that set up.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 23, 2018

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Kamikaze Raider posted:

While I agree that's the general approach to gearing, pushing GRift leaderboards is where the min/maxers come to play. After just scanning through a bunch of the +100 GRift runs, they are ALL using Cycle. The Phylactery seems to fit what you're saying, but Cycle + Phylactery seems to be the meta for high GRift runs, at least.

Is this on console leaderboards? Interesting it’s so different from pc. I suppose maybe because it’s harder to target but on pc all the top builds are trag or pestilence lance builds that don’t use cycle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I feel like every legendary weapon I’m getting (paragon 100) on GR20, or even when I go to a friends game that has all difficulty pegged to the max, they never really get any higher than what I have (the Butcher/Carver thing with like 3350 damage. Is it just the RNG being crap to me or have I peaked?
Or maybe I’m going about what ways to get better weapons wrong.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

I feel like every legendary weapon I’m getting (paragon 100) on GR20, or even when I go to a friends game that has all difficulty pegged to the max, they never really get any higher than what I have (the Butcher/Carver thing with like 3350 damage. Is it just the RNG being crap to me or have I peaked?
Or maybe I’m going about what ways to get better weapons wrong.

Weapon damage is important, but secondary to "what's right for your build". 4.5k damage on a 2h ancient legendary with +10% damage is about where that caps at, but what you want to go for is "the best rolled ancient for your build", which (if it's a 1h) is usually going to cap out at the 3k-3.5k range.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Weapon damage is important, but secondary to "what's right for your build". 4.5k damage on a 2h ancient legendary with +10% damage is about where that caps at, but what you want to go for is "the best rolled ancient for your build", which (if it's a 1h) is usually going to cap out at the 3k-3.5k range.

What I got is a 2H. And I’m running a Necro with Army o’Dead, mages, skeletons, corpse lance, and bone armor. I’m not even picky. I just feel like I haven’t seen a viable new weapon in forever.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Feenix posted:

What I got is a 2H. And I’m running a Necro with Army o’Dead, mages, skeletons, corpse lance, and bone armor. I’m not even picky. I just feel like I haven’t seen a viable new weapon in forever.

Upgrade 1h scythes in cube for a scythe Of the cycle or trag scythe or Jesseth

Upgrade 2h for the one that gives damage based on max essence and cube it.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Is there a most popular difficulty for running split bounties online? Unless I'm missing something it doesn't show how many players are in a certain mode on the game settings screen.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Edly posted:

Is there a most popular difficulty for running split bounties online? Unless I'm missing something it doesn't show how many players are in a certain mode on the game settings screen.

I think general consensus is as high as you can manage while being quick.

On PC though I'd do T1, T7, T10.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
A small question, is there any way to turn on being able to see the actual number of HP monsters have? It's not a huge deal either way but lizard brain likes seeing how crazy enemy HP values inflate.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Add me for rifts or whatever: SW-4444-3290-4822

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Diablo 3 on switch is the perfect platform for the game, and the perfect game for the platform (handheld). I've clocked over 80 hours just playing here-and-there.

e: gonna go play right now

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just did a Rift and I’m fighting some teddy bears lol.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I need more Diablo Switch Friends... :)

(Gonna go check that friend code list now...)

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
is there somewhere to turn off the vibrate on the switch version that I'm missing? playing a condemn crusader and every condemn is rattling me bones.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Feenix posted:

I need more Diablo Switch Friends... :)

(Gonna go check that friend code list now...)

I got your add! Lately I am very likely passing around quite a few nemeses to my friend list.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have Full Rather armor on my Necro. I am like 110 Paragon (not sure if that matters, but yeah)
At what point (if ever) do I start caring about gear I find (with much higher base stats) than Rather. Or is Rathma just the current best/endgame armor for Necro?

LIke, I'm finding base stat single and double socket chest pieces for 1200+ and my Rathma is like 700-something. That kind of thing.

Best place to get a lot of Forgotten Souls?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Feenix posted:

I have Full Rather armor on my Necro. I am like 110 Paragon (not sure if that matters, but yeah)
At what point (if ever) do I start caring about gear I find (with much higher base stats) than Rather. Or is Rathma just the current best/endgame armor for Necro?

LIke, I'm finding base stat single and double socket chest pieces for 1200+ and my Rathma is like 700-something. That kind of thing.

Having the correct legendary items for your build (especially the 6 piece set bonus) is vastly more important than base stats. When you upgrade gear it'll generally be because you got a duplicate of a particular legendary with higher rolls or more desirable suffixes.

You get Forgotten Souls from dismantling legendaries, so they'll kind of just pile up no matter what you do at some point. I think running greater rifts gives you the most legendaries per minute, as long as you can do them quickly.

edit: Rathma isn't necessarily the best necro set, any of the 6 piece sets should be viable.

Edly fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 26, 2018

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Feenix posted:

What Edly said, with the added advice to avoid salvaging duplicate set pieces that are worse than what you're currently wearing because you can use the cube to change that piece into another piece of the set with newly rolled stats.

Most of the sets (for necro at least) are really just different ways to play. Certain sets encourage playstyles that are more suited to certain applications, but unless you care about leaderboards it's best just to test all the sets you can and find which one you think is the most fun.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Feenix posted:

You'll definitely want some kind of set. I wouldn't just trash legendaries though as some could be useful.

I'd recommend taking a look at diablofans builds (just filter by necro, patch 2.6.1 and top all-time). You can find a variety of speed/bounty/pushing builds. Also look at leaderboards for the necro for pushing builds that are specific to consoles.

The best way to get souls is running whatever the highest gr you can do in about 3m and running that as fast as possible. If you can't do a very high GR yet then joining t13 games and getting carried is probably the best way to get legendaries until then, but you should try to switch to gr running with a group or yourself asap

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I may be on later tonight if anyone wants to trade Power Levels.

I want to make a boom crusader.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I cubed the Mad Monarch's Scepter and haven't taken it off. Free poison nova every 10 kills is great CC. I'm using Trag'Oul's scythe and Leger's Disdain to synergize off Cursed Scythe, with Frailty Aura. I've built around the Rathma set and have the Circle of Nailuju ring that gives extra skele mages every cast. My bread and butter is chucking skeletons until Army of the Dead is up and then mulching everything with the Dead Storm rune. My scythe does bonus damage to everyone in front if me because of the aura. Illusory Boots with a Grandeur Ring is fun too.

I've gotten to Torment 8 with it, and only now do I have to hide behind my minions instead of rushing in and touching all the candy. I slice through mobs like chaff and it's great.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PyPy posted:

Diablo 3 on switch is the perfect platform for the game, and the perfect game for the platform (handheld). I've clocked over 80 hours just playing here-and-there.

e: gonna go play right now

How long are y'all's batteries lasting when playing in Switch handheld mode? I'm getting barely an hour, maybe seventy minutes tops out of a fully charged switch. My cheap wall plug can't even keep up with charging, I lose battery plugged in. I need to be docked or a higher quality USB port to not lose battery.

Also I have no idea wtf I'm doing in this game and it's great. I have a monk at 55 and he doesn't seem too killy so I started a necromancer and he seems too OP. My monk is plugging slowly through the story on master. My necro is just running those first rift things on master. I have no idea what the point of them is. And when I kill the guardians it's super annoying to have to hoof it back up three levels to get to the rift entrance and complete them with the blue ghost guy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

Also I have no idea wtf I'm doing in this game and it's great. I have a monk at 55 and he doesn't seem too killy so I started a necromancer and he seems too OP. My monk is plugging slowly through the story on master. My necro is just running those first rift things on master. I have no idea what the point of them is. And when I kill the guardians it's super annoying to have to hoof it back up three levels to get to the rift entrance and complete them with the blue ghost guy.

Hold right on the d-pad teleports you back to town.

E: you can do that at any time, not just after you kill a rift guardian. In town you can use the giant glowing portal to go back to where you where when you ported out (in case you need to repair or whatever).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigHead posted:

How long are y'all's batteries lasting when playing in Switch handheld mode? I'm getting barely an hour, maybe seventy minutes tops out of a fully charged switch. My cheap wall plug can't even keep up with charging, I lose battery plugged in. I need to be docked or a higher quality USB port to not lose battery.

I've done 2-3 hours without a problem. I've gotten the 10% battery life notification and plugged in just a standard USB-C cable to a power outlet (from my Samsung S8 Charger) and continued to play no problem.

Check your screen brightness maybe?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Huxley posted:

Hold right on the d-pad teleports you back to town.

E: you can do that at any time, not just after you kill a rift guardian. In town you can use the giant glowing portal to go back to where you where when you ported out (in case you need to repair or whatever).

Just tap it actually, no need to hold.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the vengeance multishot missile dh build is ridiculous and i feel like i'm cheating for using it

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ok, I just hit paragon 200 on my Necro with the seasonal set. I've been dumping the points into life, attack speed, life per hit and I forget what on the fourth spot. How do these things affect your pets? Should I go crit chance/dmg instead? A different defensive stat? I feel extremely flimsy around torment x. I'll pop in a second if I'm not behind by my skelly boys.

Also I popped in the legendary gem that buffs pets and :getin:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

CYBEReris posted:

the vengeance multishot missile dh build is ridiculous and i feel like i'm cheating for using it

I used that for a good while on my DH (PS4). I’m experimenting with a different build now but 5 turrets plus multishot missile = things melted in a hurry.

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going
Feel free to add me on switch to blast some rifts together. I play pretty much every season, to various degrees, because I am weak. I've been a long time PC player until last week.

SW-3541-1832-9129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Just picked this up on the PS4 sale thing. I had played the original D3 on PC when it first came out, and I was hesitant about how it would feel on a console but it's actually fun! I've even nabbed an acceptable amount of legendary items during act 1. Are there any skills I should be avoiding completely as a Crusader, or is it pretty much use whatever looks cool?