Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pretty sure the writers view Minfilia, Lyse, and Papalymo as cruft from 1.0 and that’s why they’re largely being cleared off the board as time goes on.

The nuScions are a much better JRPG party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, Lyse is pretty bad. As Yda she was just Papalymo's sidekick that punched people. Then she had a bit of development in 3.55, and then ran the Ala Mhigan resistance because *reasons*.

Nepotism.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I definitely want to see more of Fordola. I'm a sucker for redemption character arcs. (I also like how she looks very similar to my Highlady character so she's her cousin in my headcanon.)

Cythereal posted:

Yes, and I still loathe him. He's not as terrible now as he used to be, but I'd much rather spend time with characters I actually like, like Y'shtola, Alisae, Lyse, Hien, and Yugiri.

Enough so that someone spent at least ten bucks on me for it - the red text changed after the first time. :v:

Sorry I offended your honor by disliking your teenage elf husbando.

:lol: Nice red text you got there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure the writers view Minfilia, Lyse, and Papalymo as cruft from 1.0 and that’s why they’re largely being cleared off the board as time goes on.

The nuScions are a much better JRPG party.

I'm not as big of a fan of Y'shtola as many people seem to be, but I do appreciate how the group's designated Healer is sick of everyone's poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Whether one likes the remaining Scions or not, they’re primarily the ones who Do Things and have developed personalities and motivations. Even Thancred, probably the least developed of the lot, has an easy in: Stripped of aether, he’s most likely going to be the man on the ground for empathizing with the Garlean experience of being magicless in a magical world.

In other words, they kept the characters that you can actually tell stories with.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

I definitely want to see more of Fordola. I'm a sucker for redemption character arcs. (I also like how she looks very similar to my Highlady character so she's her cousin in my headcanon.)

Yeah, same here. I'm hoping that her underutilization in the post-4.0 story was just her being saved for Shadowbringers. I think she's a legitimately interesting character with a lot of storytelling potential, but it felt like her (and most of Ala Mhigo, to be honest) got sidelined by all of the Doma/Garlemald poo poo. I feel like it'd also help to set the tone for Shadowbringers more if they specifically gave you an eclectic Dirty Dozen-style group of companions with conflicting personalities, hard pasts, and questionable loyalties over another expansion of only ever having a group of Good People that agree with eachother 98% of the time following you around.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

Yeah, same here. I'm hoping that her underutilization in the post-4.0 story was just her being saved for Shadowbringers. I think she's a legitimately interesting character with a lot of storytelling potential, but it felt like her (and most of Ala Mhigo, to be honest) got sidelined by all of the Doma/Garlemald poo poo. I feel like it'd also help to set the tone for Shadowbringers more if they specifically gave you an eclectic Dirty Dozen-style group of companions with conflicting personalities, hard pasts, and questionable loyalties over another expansion of only ever having a group of Good People that agree with eachother 98% of the time following you around.

Not to mention that with the whole Trust system, you can bring them into dungeons with you. Hell yeah I wanna go solo a dungeon with Fordola, Y'shtola and Alisae.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

I feel like it'd also help to set the tone for Shadowbringers more if they specifically gave you an eclectic Dirty Dozen-style group of companions with conflicting personalities, hard pasts, and questionable loyalties over another expansion of only ever having a group of Good People that agree with eachother 98% of the time following you around.

So what you're saying is, after 4.5 causes WoL to go grimdark we break Fordola, Laurentius and Yuyuhase out of jail, and then head off to Garlemald to meet up with Shadowhunter, Maxima, and elf-Zenos to form a band of bastards. Then we wait to see who turns on who first.

Also Karasu is there.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I love Yuyuhase because of his bizarrely deep Japanese voice, so anything involving more of him sounds good to me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So what's the chance of light avatar Minfilla being the final boss of Shadowbringers?

Asimo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 28, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The final boss of Shadowbringers is the warrior of light, after the game forces a fantasia on you and makes you play as a new person, the warrior of darkness.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'd completely forgotten that we have both Zenos-body-not zenos and also Zenos-elfboy

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:yeah:

The best part of the Ivalice Raid is the final bosses going full ham.

Argath was good but Yiazmat's cockney accent was so much better.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fordola is gonna be the scions' She-Ra and provide all the layouts and poo poo to Garlean compounds

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CYBEReris posted:

Fordola is gonna be the scions' She-Ra and provide all the layouts and poo poo to Garlean compounds

That's kind of too late to be useful isn't it? It's not like she's left Ala Mhigo as far we know.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

KoB posted:

I'd completely forgotten that we have both Zenos-body-not zenos and also Zenos-elfboy
The proper term for the latter is "Elezenos".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Asimo posted:

So what's the chance of light avatar
Minfilla being the final boss of Shadiwvringers?

spoilers, dawg

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if fordola doesn't become the scions' newest, grumpiest member before shadowbringers i will cancel my subscription in protest

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
all the fordola-likers will know my pain when Shadowbringers sets her up to be important and then imprisons her in the 5.X eureka analogue like Krile was

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Krile is the official sidequest Scion. First the Warring Triad and now Eureka.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I don't like either Fordola or Yotsuyu as characters, both the redemption and amnesia arcs respectively just felt forced to me.
As for Fordola she just feels very predictable and boring and I keep hoping she'd be killed off by sacrificing herself for a true redemption moment or something, I find her about as interesting as Lyse, which is not at all.

Personally rooting for Alisae and Arenvald to be our main adventurer buddies for shadowbrigners.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Creampie Warehouse sounds like an adult pastry shop.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Creampie Warehouse sounds like an adult pastry shop.

Ah you too have seen Van Wilder

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bolow posted:

Ah you too have seen Van Wilder

Well there is a reference I didn't think I'd hear again, and I wish I didn't :barf:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What was supposed to be the oomph of Summoner at 50? Did they just not have one? Every thing seems kinda weirdly flat without the building to Dreadwyrm Trance aspect.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Three dots and then fester a few times a minute.

They weren't exciting.

e: No one really had stuff to build up for until Heavensward. BLMs just spammed Fire 1 with the occasional 3, DRGs just rotated through their combos, MNKs just punched faster, etc.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 28, 2018

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Can't really find a good answer on this but if I've got 2 level 54 classes and im about to enter praetorium should I buy ironworks gear or save the poetics for shire gear? At the moment I'm just wearing the stuff you get from the level 50 job quests. Just not exactly sure how valuable poetics are at this point.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You don't need Ironworks for Prae, which would just be obsoleted at the level 55 dungeon anyways. Get someone to buy you a vendor set out of the Heavensward town, and your level pre-60 set is dealt with.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A full suite of Ironworks gear is good for alt jobs. Otherwise, yeah, just save up for shire stuff. A full suit of augmented shire gear will last you until 65 or so realistically. Unless you're a tank, in which case you want to replace that poo poo ASAP.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DoubleNegative posted:

A full suite of Ironworks gear is good for alt jobs. Otherwise, yeah, just save up for shire stuff. A full suit of augmented shire gear will last you until 65 or so realistically. Unless you're a tank, in which case you want to replace that poo poo ASAP.as soon as you start getting gear with higher stats.

FTFY. There's that two-level gap where if you're good, you can keep using Ironworks with a slightly heavier load on your healers, but the final boss of The Vault is kind of an assbeater.

For SB content, replace "Ironworks" with "Shire" and "final boss of The Vault" with "Bardam's"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

keirharder posted:

Can't really find a good answer on this but if I've got 2 level 54 classes and im about to enter praetorium should I buy ironworks gear or save the poetics for shire gear? At the moment I'm just wearing the stuff you get from the level 50 job quests. Just not exactly sure how valuable poetics are at this point.

By the time you hit Level 60, you should reasonably have enough Poetics for Shire. Buy the Ironworks stuff because there's quite a bit of content between Praetorium and the end of Heavensward.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Three dots and then fester a few times a minute.

They weren't exciting.

e: No one really had stuff to build up for until Heavensward. BLMs just spammed Fire 1 with the occasional 3, DRGs just rotated through their combos, MNKs just punched faster, etc.

I'm glad they fixed that. It didn't work out well for every class (sorry Paladin friends) but in general it's very fun to build to a super move. Or at least feel like you have a Big Number Attack somewhere in your DPS kit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FTFY. There's that two-level gap where if you're good, you can keep using Ironworks with a slightly heavier load on your healers, but the final boss of The Vault is kind of an assbeater.

I'm still mad about the tank yesterday who was doing Vault yesterday in significantly sub-Ironworks gear and blamed me for "spamming Physick" onto his non-HP-having rear end, and for "not having my fairy out" because it happened to have died to the final boss the one second he happned to be paying attention to what was going on.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I'm glad they fixed that. It didn't work out well for every class (sorry Paladin friends) but in general it's very fun to build to a super move. Or at least feel like you have a Big Number Attack somewhere in your DPS kit.

Paladins, while not being perfect, are still a universe better than ARR 50 paladin.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Thanks everyone! I might get some ironworks stuff for paladin and wait until I can access better stuff soon for everything else. I’m not really tanking any of the 45+ stuff I’m unlocking atm as going into things blind as a tank seems pretty painful.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Speaking of big moves, I finally managed to cobble together a set of keybinds for bard that doesn't feel like hell to use and goddamn, I'm a fan of Barrage + Empyreal Arrow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cabbit posted:

Speaking of big moves, I finally managed to cobble together a set of keybinds for bard that doesn't feel like hell to use and goddamn, I'm a fan of Barrage + Empyreal Arrow.

Just wait until Barrage + Refulgent Arrow.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RDM is God's special, perfect class and I'm ready to fight anyone that thinks another DPS class is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wolpertinger posted:

Paladins, while not being perfect, are still a universe better than ARR 50 paladin.

I can't figure why they didn't move Royal Authority when they did the Stormblood skill shake up. It's painful trying to DPS as a PLD at 50.