Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

That's why they will have a little holding pen you sit in while the transaction processes, and it opens once it's cleared.
I'd have to dig it up but there are unironic posts about the future of commerce where every store will have little lounges while you wait for your bitcoin transactions to complete. People will actively transition to this because ??? and it'll be better because something something fiat end central banker slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harveygod posted:

Starbutts: "We saved 1% on this transaction!"

*bitcorns lose 50% of value by end of business day*

If its anything like anyone else who accepted bitcoin, itll just be using an intermediary to immediately offload the coin for cash and then not refund you the coin.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

19 o'clock posted:

Surely this will see 100% adoption yielding billions in bottom line impact for Starbucks.

Reading between the lines, it looks like Starbucks will only accept Bitcoin in exchange for Starbucks gift cards and I suspect only online. Check out the press release on Starbuck's website

quote:

“As the flagship retailer, Starbucks will play a pivotal role in developing practical, trusted and regulated applications for consumers to convert their digital assets into US dollars for use at Starbucks,” said Maria Smith, Vice President, Partnerships and Payments for Starbucks. “As a leader in Mobile Pay to our more than 15 million Starbucks Rewards members, Starbucks is committed to innovation for expanding payment options for our customers.”
I've bolded the important bit: this is only for Starbucks Rewards members. You only get points in Starbucks Rewards for purchases made with money in your Starbucks account which you get by buying Starbucks gift cards. This allows them to avoid dealing with Bitcoin's transaction times, avoid training cashiers in Bitcoin bullshit, and doesn't increase their fraud risk since they are giving someone gift cards in exchange for NO CHARGEBACKS bitcoins.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
There was a pub in England that would take Bitcoin, but I think he gave up on it after multiple times when the transaction just didn't work and the person had already left, and only a few people bothered to use Bitcoin in the first place.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've bolded the important bit: this is only for Starbucks Rewards members.

In order to use your totally untraceable and anonymous currency of the future you just have to do this two little things

1) sign up for our rewards program, giving us all your personal information and letting us track all your purchases.

2) convert your digital currency you can use “anywhere” to our currency you can only use with us that has an expiration date because we don’t trust your currencies stability.

Checks out. What a bright future for bitcoin.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 28, 2018

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I feel like there are a series of posts putting way too much into hypothetical cases where bitcoin may be used for something other than small grey markets, but it's a pointless sidetrack. 3 transactions per second. It can't ever be used for anything real, and it won't ever be modified (see Bitcoin Cash).

There are more nuanced debates around why other shitcoins won't ever be used.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

kw0134 posted:

I'd have to dig it up but there are unironic posts about the future of commerce where every store will have little lounges while you wait for your bitcoin transactions to complete. People will actively transition to this because ??? and it'll be better because something something fiat end central banker slavery

I'm sure they'll be just as enthusiastic about the idea if the stores use a different blockchain currency that they can't premine

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Ohio will now let you pay your taxes in Bitcoin. You never disappoint, Ohio.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
https://medium.com/s/thenewnew/the-blockchain-could-save-legalized-weed-stop-rolling-your-eyes-53b47125c761

Medium seems to be a hotbed of Bitcoin and Blockchain apologetics, but this one really made me roll my eyes despite his request not to do so. It's just a perfect example of "find/replace - database/blockchain".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

i saw this thread because of a butt shooting coins out ad banner, buy the dip

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wasn't there a burrito place that accepted Bitcoin till it went out of business due to keeping all of its BTC in mtgox?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

JohnnySavs posted:

Ohio will now let you pay your taxes in Bitcoin. You never disappoint, Ohio.

This was mentioned pages ago. Please read the thread.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I met up again with my local small town crypto believer tonight. He hangs at the same pub. He brings this poo poo up unprompted. It’s weird. Was btc, changed to eth, now stable coins. I asked about tether and he said that’s a scam! I asked how tether and btc are tied, he didn’t know. Now he said he made six figures last year while his wife was nodding at me. It’s the only in the wild guy I’ve ever seen. Says he’s paying taxes.

What is this stable(lol)coin poo poo?

My head was askew as I’m the only guy he knows that actually know how this poo poo works. Exchanges, pki that I had to explain, hash algorithms, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Boat's coming back to pick up those who missed it the first second time, next stop the moon!

Excuse me, sir. We stop at Lambo station first, then go Moon.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

So I met up again with my local small town crypto believer tonight. He hangs at the same pub. He brings this poo poo up unprompted. It’s weird. Was btc, changed to eth, now stable coins. I asked about tether and he said that’s a scam! I asked how tether and btc are tied, he didn’t know. Now he said he made six figures last year while his wife was nodding at me. It’s the only in the wild guy I’ve ever seen. Says he’s paying taxes.

My head was askew as I’m the only guy he knows that actually know how this poo poo works. Exchanges, pki that I had to explain, hash algorithms, etc.

Tether is a "fiat currency backed stablecoin" whatever the gently caress that is. So, basically anything that is "AS GOOD AS DOLLARS/YEN/EUROS/GBP" whatthefuckever is considered a stablecoin.

Apparently they're supposed to be coins that are not subject to market volatility, but what I don't get is how they think that people will give them real money for their fake money when the whole house of cards is finally collapsing?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stablecoin

quote:

stablecoin is a cryptocurrency designed to minimize the price volatility. Stablecoins are used as stores of value or units of account, as well as in other use cases where volatile cryptocurrencies may be less desirable.

Authors of stablecoins use different designs to achieve price stability. The value of a stablecoin can be pegged to fiat currencies, or to exchange traded commodities (such as gold, silver, other precious and industrial metals, etc). Stablecoins can be centralized where they can be backed by fiat and exchange-traded commodities directly, or in a decentralized fashion via leveraging other cryptocurrency projects in different ways.[1]

In theory they are a bridge between real assets and cryptocurrency to eliminate the volatility of cryptos backed by the existence of something tangible.

In reality they are the same scam as tether, just with new names to stay ahead of laws and regulation now that tether is drawing attention.

I'm sure that guy accidentally made money if he was a true believer pre-november 2017 but his mistake is thinking this speaks to his wisdom.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rectal Death Adept posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stablecoin

In theory they are a bridge between real assets and cryptocurrency to eliminate the volatility of cryptos backed by the existence of something tangible.

In reality they are the same scam as tether, just with new names to stay ahead of laws and regulation now that tether is drawing attention.

I'm sure that guy accidentally made money if he was a true believer pre-november 2017 but his mistake is thinking this speaks to his wisdom.

That wiki makes no sense to me at all. Not your fault. Decentralized currency with a centralized value based commodity? I’m to dumb for crypto

And he actually did buy low(er) and sold high. He’s not an Econ major, let’s just leave it as that. He got, in actual cash value out, a tricked up Mazda Miata looking thing. I always say, cool! Lol I want more lols.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Now he said he made six figures last year while his wife was nodding at me. It’s the only in the wild guy I’ve ever seen. Says he’s paying taxes.

I'm certain a lot of people made a lot of money, but remind yourself that last year was a long time ago, and how much has he made in the 11 months since then?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

In that dude's defense, though, which one of you started bragging about their money first?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

In that dude's defense, though, which one of you started bragging about their money first?

What?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the tiny "we buy gold and silver" booth at the mall has a sign that says they also buy and sell butts.

well thats my butts in the wild story.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moon is another word for butt.

Buttcoin.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

the tiny "we buy gold and silver" booth at the mall has a sign that says they also buy and sell butts.

well thats my butts in the wild story.

Probably the safest way to sell your shitcoins.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
is each shitcoin backed by 1 poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Burt Sexual posted:

That wiki makes no sense to me at all. Not your fault. Decentralized currency with a centralized value based commodity? I’m to dumb for crypto

And he actually did buy low(er) and sold high. He’s not an Econ major, let’s just leave it as that. He got, in actual cash value out, a tricked up Mazda Miata looking thing. I always say, cool! Lol I want more lols.

ooooh strange but I thought people never made money off investing in bitcoin :thunk:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'm certain a lot of people made a lot of money, but remind yourself that last year was a long time ago, and how much has he made in the 11 months since then?

You know stocks can drop in value too. GMs is down a bit I heard

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Big push back up towards 4k, brace yourselves.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

ooooh strange but I thought people never made money off investing in bitcoin :thunk:

Ah yes, the thing no one has ever said in any of these threads.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Andy Dufresne posted:

I feel like there are a series of posts putting way too much into hypothetical cases where bitcoin may be used for something other than small grey markets, but it's a pointless sidetrack. 3 transactions per second. It can't ever be used for anything real, and it won't ever be modified (see Bitcoin Cash).

There are more nuanced debates around why other shitcoins won't ever be used.
How can such critical information showing bitcoin is loving worthless technically in any use case as a currency simply go in one ear and out the other for a bitcoiner? My only explanation is that enthusiasts are indoctrinated by the community and hype to push out criticism much like how mlm enthusiasts are trained

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Starbucks could actually practically take in bitcoins without giftcards. You have to first give starbucks the bitcoins into their wallet. Then you can deduct from the bitcoins as you make transactions with prices that are updated in real-time based on what Starbucks thinks is the appropriate dynamic bitcoin price of an item at that very second. Starbucks basically has to act as their own bitcoin exchange where they keep all the bitcoin amounts people have as entries on their own database ledger outside the blockchain so that it can actually be scaled and use-able as a currency at their stores just like their giftcards work. Then, in order to remove problems where people don't want to store bitcoins just at starbucks, Starbucks can start offering this bitcoin payment service to other companies in a conglomerate so that people can pay using bitcoins using this pseudo-exchange at more stores. This is the only practical way bitcoin could be used as a currency.

Why this is a hilariously damning indictment of bitcoin's shittiness is left as an exercise to the reader.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it all wraps around to bitcoin being pointless for buying legal things and pointless as a currency when everything you could theoretically buy is priced in $ in the first place and happens to be a much better real currency in the first place

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

gary oldmans diary posted:

it all wraps around to bitcoin being pointless for buying legal things and pointless as a currency when everything you could theoretically buy is priced in $ in the first place and happens to be a much better real currency in the first place

hehe not if starbucks starts PAYING their own EMPLOYEES in bitcoin too!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You fill sixteen cups
What do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter dont you call me because I can't go
I owe my satoshis to the company stoooore

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

gary oldmans diary posted:

It's not just pointless for buying legal things, it's pointless for buying illegal things except over the internet. If you want to buy some drugs, do you really want that transaction on a public ledger and to stand around while the transactoin confirms? No, you're just going to buy them with cash and part ways, unless you're one of the people that uses Venmo to buy drugs because you can't be bothered to ever go to an ATM.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nybble posted:

There was a pub in England that would take Bitcoin, but I think he gave up on it after multiple times when the transaction just didn't work and the person had already left, and only a few people bothered to use Bitcoin in the first place.

this got a section in THE BOOK

the guy is Steve Early, he ran a string of pubs (I think he's sold them now). he's also a computer scientist, so he knows precisely how bitcoin actually works

he started accepting bitcoins in mid-2013 - zero conf, cos it's a pub so whoever buys the beer/food is right there for the 10 min confirmation time

he did ... pretty ok with it? basically if every transaction had turned out bogus, he'd still be ahead on publicity

he gave it up in 2017 because transactions were so slow, unreliable and expensive that bitcoin was literally unusable even for the few merchants who managed to do okay out of it

he's also the reason the book has a footnote about the definition of "merkle tree", because of course bitcoiners use their own slightly wrong made-up definition, not the proper one

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

divabot posted:

this got a section in THE BOOK

the guy is Steve Early, he ran a string of pubs (I think he's sold them now). he's also a computer scientist, so he knows precisely how bitcoin actually works

he started accepting bitcoins in mid-2013 - zero conf, cos it's a pub so whoever buys the beer/food is right there for the 10 min confirmation time

he did ... pretty ok with it? basically if every transaction had turned out bogus, he'd still be ahead on publicity

he gave it up in 2017 because transactions were so slow, unreliable and expensive that bitcoin was literally unusable even for the few merchants who managed to do okay out of it

he's also the reason the book has a footnote about the definition of "merkle tree", because of course bitcoiners use their own slightly wrong made-up definition, not the proper one

It was a good book. When's the sequel?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

My Linux Rig posted:

You know stocks can drop in value too. GMs is down a bit I heard

The one bright spot about most scams is they tend to hit the elderly. It's still sad but they were on the way out anyway. Bitcoins...man people are gonna live with that regret for decades.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are bitcoins safe to invest in yet? is the speculation over ?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah man go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

jokes posted:

Are bitcoins safe to invest in yet? is the speculation over ?

Solid username/post combo