Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like gin, but it doesn’t really taste piney to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Gin is like the only liquor I can stand, the juniper overpowers the turpentine taste of the alcohol.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Dave Meltzer's illegitimate son?

There is no way Meltzer eats anything but chicken breasts and steamed broccoli and liquor for the holiday shows

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of pro wrestling related food stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaoBLdvRqOI

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aesop Poprock posted:

Speaking of pro wrestling related food stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaoBLdvRqOI

jesus, why did i listen to this man rambling about taking serial killer like detailed notes about gas prices along highways in bum-gently caress iowa?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

The Bloop posted:

Plus, salt is fine unless you already have a medical condition (hypertension, etc)

Thinking salt is causal to high blood pressure is an outdated misapplication of correlation. It was a safe and smart thing for a doctor to suggest 30 years ago but we loving know better now.

Yep! Eat all the salt. Really. Unless you are on certain heart/sodium meds, eat all the salt. It cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm on meds that cause my salt level to deplete quite rapidly. GIVE IT TO ME.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I walked into my campus pub recently and was told that unfortunately their tap cooler was broken, someone's working on it now, but how about this similar-to-my-regular-beer we have in a bottle? Also you cut your hair???? It looks cute???

I was equal parts pleased and horrified. I'm 35 and this is the first time I've been recognized as a regular like this and it's over beer. I guess I like alcohol while I write essays. Also I cut my hair off during a panic attack over my many many essays but I'm glad you like it. :smithicide:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bars are the only place I want to be recognized or interacted with by the staff, tbh. Everybody else leave me alone.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Grand Fromage posted:

Bars are the only place I want to be recognized or interacted with by the staff, tbh. Everybody else leave me alone.

Why not just drink in the tub then what's the point

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Why not just drink in the tub then what's the point

That's for when you get back from the bar.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

chitoryu12 posted:

I like gin, but it doesn’t really taste piney to me.

Just wait until you eat a fistful of needles

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Picnic Princess posted:

Just wait until you eat a fistful of needles

This sounds like a very severe Canadian threat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

Plus, salt is fine unless you already have a medical condition (hypertension, etc)

Thinking salt is causal to high blood pressure is an outdated misapplication of correlation. It was a safe and smart thing for a doctor to suggest 30 years ago but we loving know better now.

Well this is music to my ears

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And it looks like the link between red meat and health problems can be explained by the existence of people with that weird tick allergy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

jesus, why did i listen to this man rambling about taking serial killer like detailed notes about gas prices along highways in bum-gently caress iowa?

because it ain't what you make, it's what you save.

:cmon:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

And it looks like the link between red meat and health problems can be explained by the existence of people with that weird tick allergy.

It was actually just a really lovely study that decided that "Well all these other countries don't have the health problems so its the wine!"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Because it’s loving hilarious and Jim Cornette is a certified weirdo who carries a literal burger towel specifically so he can wipe his face off from the two triple cheeseburgers with extra cheese and mayo he orders from Wendy’s that he keeps in his car. He started selling them on his website and sold out of them

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I rotate liquor stores so that they are familiar but no too chummy. Nobody wants to make friends while you're 20 minutes out from blasting your liver into oblivion.

I don't like gin because it's too sickly medicine tasting. I'm more whiskey or rum. I've been on a Chelada kick recently. I'm not a vodka person but vodka with Clamato, Worcestershire, pepper, salt and hot sauce is drat good. I like the spicy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like bourbon on the rare occasion I drink.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Gin is good, probably the best cheapest one is beefeater. I find it citrusy with some herb flavour coming through. There's so many new overpriced micro distilleries jumping on a band wagon, and so many horrible cheaper ones (even mainstream stuff like vickers, gordons etc).
The bad ones are like the over hopping beer craze, it's easy to make a bad vodka and cover it up with gin flavours just like the bad beers covered up with extra hops. So much acetone/heads and flavours tails in the spirit. More so than vodka because the distilleries are greedy and think they can get away with it due tot he flavouring over the top. IE. many gins are a really bad cut vodka that could never be sold as vodka.

The expensive gins are ridiculous, it's a basic grain vodka with some herbs/fruit/berries. It shouldn't cost as much as a malt based aged whiskey.
Whenever beefeater or tanq is under AU$40 during summer I'll buy it. But gently caress paying over $40 for them when I could buy a whiskey (and especially when the weather isn't warm). I'm not ever going to try a boutique local gin or even try hendricks at $60+. It's an un-aged simple grain wash with some stuff added so there's a price-point where I'll buy whiskey over gin every single time.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Nov 28, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jim Cornette is a certified weirdo who carries a literal burger towel specifically so he can wipe his face off from the two triple cheeseburgers with extra cheese and mayo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5XHLaaCErs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have 3 liquor stores I go to regularly.

The one I go to the most lately, is on the way home, it's got an OK selection, it's also in the middle of a Kroger, so if I need something else I can just grab it on the way out. Nobody here recognizes me

Next in line is the liquor store I used to go to the most. I only stopped going there all the time because I moved, and it's not so convenient. It does have the best selection, plus some taps now, I stop there on Fridays when I go to the bar and get some back up for the rest of the weekend. It's also across the street from Aldi, so I'll stop there after I go there on occasion. This is probably the place where I'm recognized the most.

Number 3 is actually the closest to me, it does have the worst selection of the group. IT's small, and attached to a motel and trailer park. The trailer park has been there since at least the 50's according to images from HistoricAerials.com so I suspect it had been a general/tackle type store back in the day. This is my go to when I have a Sunday liquor emergency.

There's a few other liquor stores I used to go to, but they're out of the way for me these days. Plus just over the boarder, in Kentucky, we have The Party Source, which is like liquor heaven, and they literally have just about any liquor you can dream of there. I don't go rum running often enough

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Because it’s loving hilarious and Jim Cornette is a certified weirdo who carries a literal burger towel specifically so he can wipe his face off from the two triple cheeseburgers with extra cheese and mayo he orders from Wendy’s that he keeps in his car. He started selling them on his website and sold out of them

So....a napkin?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Schubalts posted:

So....a napkin?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is your consumption too inconspicuous? Have you insufficiently aligned your identity to a brand or fandom? Well we have the solution for you!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh TOWEL, I thought it was a burger TROWEL.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Oh TOWEL, I thought it was a burger TROWEL.

More of a burger loin cloth.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a few other liquor stores I used to go to, but they're out of the way for me these days. Plus just over the boarder, in Kentucky, we have The Party Source, which is like liquor heaven, and they literally have just about any liquor you can dream of there. I don't go rum running often enough

So what are your thoughts on Skyline? Also sup fellow Ohio goon. (around Columbus here.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fo3 posted:

Gin is good, probably the best cheapest one is beefeater. I find it citrusy with some herb flavour coming through. There's so many new overpriced micro distilleries jumping on a band wagon, and so many horrible cheaper ones (even mainstream stuff like vickers, gordons etc).
The bad ones are like the over hopping beer craze, it's easy to make a bad vodka and cover it up with gin flavours just like the bad beers covered up with extra hops. So much acetone/heads and flavours tails in the spirit. More so than vodka because the distilleries are greedy and think they can get away with it due tot he flavouring over the top. IE. many gins are a really bad cut vodka that could never be sold as vodka.

The expensive gins are ridiculous, it's a basic grain vodka with some herbs/fruit/berries. It shouldn't cost as much as a malt based aged whiskey.
Whenever beefeater or tanq is under AU$40 during summer I'll buy it. But gently caress paying over $40 for them when I could buy a whiskey (and especially when the weather isn't warm). I'm not ever going to try a boutique local gin or even try hendricks at $60+. It's an un-aged simple grain wash with some stuff added so there's a price-point where I'll buy whiskey over gin every single time.

There's basic gins, but you can get some quality gins for higher prices if you know enough about liquor to know what to look for. Like Bols Genever is based on the old malt style of gins made since medieval times and hasn't changed its recipe since 1820, so it has a taste that's kind of like a stepping stone between gin and whiskey. Or the St. Augustine Gin that Sandwich Anarchist mentioned is a local brand that uses a really good mix of botanicals that's relatively low on the juniper side so it doesn't taste like a traditional gin, and they make a version that gets aged for a time in used bourbon barrels so it comes out yellow and has a totally different flavor.

The reason St. Augustine products are more expensive than average (their basic gin is about $30 USD a bottle and the aged is more like $40-45) is they're a small company that actually does their own fermenting and distilling instead of buying pre-made alcohol from another supplier, which many competing small distilleries do, and they carefully control the process and keep the stills clean between batches to ensure consistency and avoid any off flavors. They make something like 1% the total output of the Jack Daniels distillery at best.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Australia, triple any price you're thinking of due to conversion rates, high sin taxes, and 'exclusivity/boutique/$$profits$$/shipping*', and gently caress paying that much. I can get a drinkable scotch for ~AU$40 and if it's summer I'll buy beefeater or tanq when they are on sale for $37 down from their usual $45+ price
*E: some of these reasons is why even half decent bourbon costs more than half decent scotch here, mainly USA shipping and the past popularity of bourbon in some social groups

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Nov 28, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Manuel Calavera posted:

So what are your thoughts on Skyline? Also sup fellow Ohio goon. (around Columbus here.)

I have successfully avoided it for 5 years.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Manuel Calavera posted:

Ex SW Ohioan here (Cleveland now), and the only thing I miss about SW Ohio is Skyline. We have one on the east side here though. drat, I need a couple of coneys right now.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There's a Skyline on the east side now? I thought the one in that big mall in Brooklyn was the only one.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Gin talk: I don’t know how available it is outside of Chicago (where it’s produced) but Koval is my go to nice gin. It mixes really well with just citrus and seltzer, is fairly dry, and definitely not face meltingly botanical. More of a pine/citrus sort of flavor (to me).

I’ve only had the dry version, but want to see if they’re still doing their tiny bottle versions of the barrel aged and cranberry ones.

Plus the bottle is pretty:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

AlbieQuirky posted:

There's a Skyline on the east side now? I thought the one in that big mall in Brooklyn was the only one.

It's in whatever that little strip mall at Brainard, and Mayfield's called. I usually work downtown, but I go home that way every once in a while to get my fix. Oh, and not to start up pizza-chat again, but Tasty Pizza at Richmond, and Mayfield is most amazingly awesome. Pricey, but worth it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I have successfully avoided it for 5 years.

Why shouldn't today be the day your nuke your own toilet from orbit?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

It's in whatever that little strip mall at Brainard, and Mayfield's called. I usually work downtown, but I go home that way every once in a while to get my fix. Oh, and not to start up pizza-chat again, but Tasty Pizza at Richmond, and Mayfield is most amazingly awesome. Pricey, but worth it.

Welp time to move out of NEO now.

How the gently caress did we get skylines before Tony's

We lost our white castles too, actual good food that looks like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

empty sea posted:

I don't like gin because it's too sickly medicine tasting. I'm more whiskey or rum. I've been on a Chelada kick recently. I'm not a vodka person but vodka with Clamato, Worcestershire, pepper, salt and hot sauce is drat good. I like the spicy.
That's a (Bloody) Caesar. If you're not a vodka person, skip it in favor of beer and you have a chelada, probably my second favorite drink after a G&T. Beer + Clamato Picante = quick and easy chelada. Add Worcestershire if you're so inclined, and a Tajin rim if you're fancy.

But I feel a little funny drinking cheladas when it's freezing out. :( I'll just have to do my best!

And my favorite gin is a local one, Liberator out of Valentine Distilling in Ferndale, MI. Granted, I had only tried a few standards before this one--Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, and Hendricks?--but it's really delicious, and I'm happy to stop here. My dad's trying to get his hands on some gin out of Kyoto for me, but the logistics are a mess.