Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Does anyone remember Brink? It was going to be Bethesda-Zenimax's first big multiplayer game. People who never played Brink, what do you actually know about it besides every loving preview calling it "innovative?" Odds are nothing. It was kind of a mediocre Enemy Territory game. Decent ideas, but it had ET's issue of lack of official content (ET had mods and custom content, though) and having attack-defense gameplay where defender spawns were two feet outside of final objectives. The same devs made Dirty Bomb so they really stuck to their guns, I guess.

Does anyone remember the pre-release of Doom 4? About a month before its release, everyone was positive it was gonna flop. The only bits of single-player footage they showed were rooms with a handful of demons while someone played on controller while going on about Glory Kills. There was a multiplayer beta that Bethesda hyped up and you got into it if you pre-ordered The New Order. The beta sucked because it was designed around slow movement speeds, insta-kill demon powers, and loadouts and none of the guns were fun to use. If you wanted to make it fun, you'd have to make it faster with weapon pickups, which would mean completely redesigning maps. It was developed by a company that made DLC for CoD and Halo. It was going to be a hyped-up train wreck. Then some dorks at NVIDIA had a webcam-filmed presentation of one of their guys playing a slice of the SP and it looked fun and fast with cool arena gameplay and it was M+K so you didn't have lovely slow-panning controller gameplay. The game came out and ruled and the multiplayer bombed pretty big-time. I imagine Bethesda-Zenimax executives being livid at the idea of having another fun SP game under their belt instead of an MP game they could milk for recurrent revenue.

Then ESO and their card game lol. ESO is apparently not a bad MMO but it has a niche audience and I think a lot of people like me don't play the game purely out of some kind of precedent that it takes up an inordinate amount of Bethesda's E3 conference time.

Then Quake Champions came out and was a really good Quake revival with a now super-outdated half-assed Overwatch character system in it. Basic features promised two years ago like classic mode, F2P for all, and not having to spend 3/4 of your time staring at menus instead of playing the stupid thing have gone away in favor of introducing more characters, microtransaction cosmetics, and balancing those characters for a game that nobody plays. People then insist it will fail if they don't have the character system, but mostly only so that they can go on self-righteous rants about "baby modern gamers."

And then a company famous for releasing single-player games that are enjoyable exploration-fests despite being unbalanced, buggy messes with next to zero post-release support (besides paid DLC content) decides it's going to rock the multiplayer world and release a Rust clone. Its beta, despite it being intended as essentially a hyping up for the main release a month before the main game went live, was as busted as games like ARK and Rust at the worst points in those games' life cycles. The only worthwhile defense is that it appeals to weirdos who like their brains to be tickled by collection cycles and it has terminal entries that are well-written. It then goes from hype to complete radio silence. I genuinely want to know what they expected on release for this thing and was it really worth just not keeping it in development for one more year.

Bethesda-Zenimax is just so desperate to publish a multiplayer game, likely for recurrent revenue purposes, that it's painful and they're willing to murder any good will to get it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plan Z posted:

Does anyone remember Brink? It was going to be Bethesda-Zenimax's flagship multiplayer game. People who never played Brink, what do you actually know about it besides every loving preview calling it "innovative?" Odds are nothing. It was kind of a mediocre Enemy Territory game. Decent ideas, but it had ET's issue of lack of official content (ET had mods and custom content, though) and having attack-defense gameplay where defender spawns were two feet outside of final objectives. The same devs made Dirty Bomb so they really stuck to their guns, I guess.

Does anyone remember the pre-release of Doom 4? About a month before its release, everyone was positive it was gonna flop. The only bits of single-player footage they showed were rooms with a handful of demons while someone played on controller while going on about Glory Kills. There was a multiplayer beta that Bethesda hyped up and you got into it if you pre-ordered The New Order. The beta sucked because it was designed around slow movement speeds, insta-kill demon powers, and loadouts and none of the guns were fun to use. If you wanted to make it fun, you'd have to make it faster with weapon pickups, which would mean completely redesigning maps. It was developed by a company that made DLC for CoD and Halo. It was going to be a hyped-up train wreck. Then some dorks at NVIDIA had a webcam-filmed presentation of one of their guys playing a slice of the SP and it looked fun and fast with cool arena gameplay and it was M+K so you didn't have lovely slow-panning controller gameplay. The game came out and ruled and the multiplayer bombed pretty big-time. I imagine Bethesda-Zenimax executives being livid at the idea of having another fun SP game under their belt instead of an MP game they could milk for recurrent revenue.

Then ESO and their card game lol. ESO is apparently not bad but it has a niche audience and I think a lot of people don't play the game purely out of some kind of precedent that it takes up an inordinate amount of Bethesda's E3 conference time.

Then Quake Champions came out and was a really good Quake revival with a now super-outdated half-assed Overwatch character system in it. Basic features promised two years ago like classic mode, F2P for all, and not having to spend 3/4 of your time staring at menus instead of playing the stupid thing have gone away in favor of introducing more characters, microtransaction cosmetics, and balancing those characters for a game that nobody plays but insists will fail if they don't have the character system so that they can go on rants about "baby modern gamers."

And then a company famous for releasing single-player games that are enjoyable exploration-fests despite being unbalanced, buggy messes with next to zero post-release support decides it's going to rock the multiplayer world and release a Rust clone. Its beta, despite it being intended as essentially a hyping up for the main release a month before the main game went live, was as busted as games like ARK and Rust at the worst points in their life cycles. The only worthwhile defense is that it appeals to weirdos who like their brains to be tickled by collection cycles and it has terminal entries that are well-written. It then goes from hype to complete radio silence. I genuinely want to know what they expected on release for this thing and was it really worth just not keeping it in development for one more year.

Bethesda-Zenimax is just so desperate for a multiplayer game that it's painful and they're willing to murder any good will to get it.

Bring back Quake Live.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Plan Z posted:

Does anyone remember Brink? It was going to be Bethesda-Zenimax's flagship multiplayer game. People who never played Brink, what do you actually know about it besides every loving preview calling it "innovative?" Odds are nothing. It was kind of a mediocre Enemy Territory game. Decent ideas, but it had ET's issue of lack of official content (ET had mods and custom content, though) and having attack-defense gameplay where defender spawns were two feet outside of final objectives. The same devs made Dirty Bomb so they really stuck to their guns, I guess.

Oh my loving god, that was a Bethesda game? I had completely forgotten about it.

It's coming back to me now though - I played hundreds, if not 1000+ hours, of RTCW and Wolf: ET multiplayer back when I was in high school/college and was really looking forward to this as it looked like it would be similar gameplay but in a different (and unique for the time) setting. So disappointing. I guess in Bethesda's defense they only published the game, Splash Damage were the ones who dropped the ball. But nothing really could bring back the popularity Wolf: ET had enjoyed.

Somehow this game still has a somewhat active community on Steam.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Brink was kind of alright. I like how you could customize characters, and it was a Wolf: ET clone after that game became unplayable due to lovely custom servers that would close your game and force open a browser to go to the clan's website or something. I remember that some weapons or outfits were locked behind progression that made you have to beat some really lovely trial levels.

The only thing that came of the "innovation" claims were that you could play matches with bots and the bots would gradually be replaced by real players.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 28, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
13-20 people still play brink.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ganbare Gincun posted:

Why are Bethesda's open world games so popular? It's because people can either 1) create their own content with the Creation Kit or 2) download content created by other players. The quality of these free mods varies wildly from creator to creator, but the fact that people can design their own player homes or quests or whatever and share them with the internet is probably Bethesda's biggest selling point right now. That's why Bethesda made mod support for XBox One and the PS4 such a high priority whenever they released Fallout 4 - it allowed players that never had access to mods to be able to download all kind of new, free content that they couldn't use before. That's also why the settlement workshop system was given so much face time - it was the closest thing that XBox One and PS4 players would get to a Creation Kit style experience without forcing them to go out and purchase a new PC. The fact that building settlements undercut the main plot of the game was apparently considered to be a minor issue when compared to how many hours of "content" such a system would create, which would in turn translate to a longer play times and improved game sales.

Sadly, this is also the main reason that Bethesda refuses to replace their ancient game engine. They would rather update what they have now because switching engines would necessitate creating a new Creation Kit, which would in turn substantially increase game development time and expand the window from game release to Creation Kit content hitting the streets. However, instead of working to avert this catastrophe, they have instead chosen to focus on creating paid mods and digital marketplaces for them. Bethesda made a LOT of money selling lunchboxes in Fallout Shelter, and they would love to reap that kind of windfall from their non-mobile open world games. They're trying to benefit from two contradictory mod-based game design initiatives, but their game engine is crumbling down around them like the House of Usher.

You might think that Fallout 76's critical and popular failure would be a wake-up call for Bethesda. Unfortunately, I believe that their next open world game will have to fail much, much harder then Fallout 76 has before they are moved to action. They still plan on using the Creation Engine for both the next Elder Scrolls game and their new science fiction game Starfield, for god's sake!

That's the thing--when Todd says that they like the engine and that modders know it well, people laugh about it but he's right. There's some incredible modder accomplishments in all of Bethesda's games (except Fallout 4) and it is partly because people's skills can translate between games every time.

That doesn't apply to this game though so why the gently caress did they use this lovely engine, loving idiots

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

bethesda published brink, splash damage actually developed it. since then, splash damage keeps getting contracted to make multiplayer modes for other games which is very ???

e: tho, to be fair, brink was hammered for being riddled with bugs at launch. iirc, publishers usually handle the testing phase of games.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I mean when I say Bethesda-Zenimax want a multiplayer game, I'm talking if they're just straight publishing, too.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I had a choice between buying Fallout 76 and Golf It, the day after Thanksgiving. I chose Golf It. I regret nothing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

That's the thing--when Todd says that they like the engine and that modders know it well, people laugh about it but he's right. There's some incredible modder accomplishments in all of Bethesda's games (except Fallout 4) and it is partly because people's skills can translate between games every time.

That doesn't apply to this game though so why the gently caress did they use this lovely engine, loving idiots

Because this engine was already made

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

(except Fallout 4)

This is completely unfair to Sim Settlements

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
new zenimax conspiracy theory: Robert Trump is using the games as a service model to launder Russian money and trick investors into making it look like the game makes millions of dollars in microtransactions. The only reason this game exists is to serve the Russians and he blackmailed Todd Howard with a piss tape

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tei posted:

Somebody accidentally found that you can tame animals.

Can you tame the cryptoids? Or at least one of those giant sloths? What can you do with tamed animal friends?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can you tame the cryptoids? Or at least one of those giant sloths? What can you do with tamed animal friends?

blueprint them

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

So that's why everyone cringes when I show them my fallout 1/2 tattoo.

No wonder why the pastor wont look me in the eye anymore. I thought he just hated fallout!
lol, I reverse image searched and this guy is actually a Libertarian who consistently tells conservative Republicans to gently caress off and go back to /r/TheDonald and very vocally criticizes people who Republican and fascist talking points in /r/libertarian. Strongly advocates punching Nazis, consistently gets downvoted for calling out people who equate antifascists with fascists.

Siljmonster posted:

Did they get the toxic run off from all the mines in WV correct? Did they show all the mountaintop removal in Fallout 76? What about all the opiod addiction problems?

stimpacks are morphine

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GWBBQ posted:

stimpacks are morphine
it's actually a random stranger's blood mixed with some sort of antiseptic (from toothpaste to turpentine) which is then injected using a rusty piece of steel No wonder everyone is dead

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GWBBQ posted:

lol, I reverse image searched and this guy is actually a Libertarian who consistently tells conservative Republicans to gently caress off and go back to /r/TheDonald and very vocally criticizes people who Republican and fascist talking points in /r/libertarian. Strongly advocates punching Nazis, consistently gets downvoted for calling out people who equate antifascists with fascists.
[/b]
stimpacks are morphine

I remember reading somewhere that Med-X is supposed to be morphine, but they changed the name for some reason. I can't remember if it was copyright or not wanting it to get caught in the DRUGS BAD political environment of the 90's.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It was Australia's fault it had to be renamed for Fallout 3.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/07/olfc_report_why_fallout_3_was_banned_in_australia/

Med-X/Morphine wasn't present in any of the earlier games IIRC.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Med-X is supposed to be morphine, but they changed the name for some reason. I can't remember if it was copyright or not wanting it to get caught in the DRUGS BAD political environment of the 90's.

I heard somewhere else that this change was made specifically for the Australian release of Fallout 3 and it just stuck for the rest of them. I might be wrong as all hell but ehh

^^edit: oh hey, I wasn't hallucinating

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
ok seriously guys its stimpak not stimpack

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they made the respecs one point per level so the bad game defenders have the excuse of "butbutbut you can just grind the levels for respecs, you don't HAVE to pay!" when they charge money for full respecs later on down the line

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It was Australia's fault it had to be renamed for Fallout 3.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/07/olfc_report_why_fallout_3_was_banned_in_australia/

Med-X/Morphine wasn't present in any of the earlier games IIRC.

I think I'd rather they keep using their own names for things. Like I know Jet is just speed/meth but in-universe it's more than that.

CharlestonJew posted:

they made the respecs one point per level so the bad game defenders have the excuse of "butbutbut you can just grind the levels for respecs, you don't HAVE to pay!" when they charge money for full respecs later on down the line

If you missed a few points then this is perfect, since there aren't enough good cards to really fill out 50+ once you've set out your SPECIAL points.

If you want to make an entirely different character then I can see them wanting you to do just that.

WoW never offered class switches for exactly the same reason.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 28, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ZeusCannon posted:

Actually when someone told my first statement was "how are they going to make it more post apocalyptic than it already is" which made me a little sad

Even less regulations on capitalism, it turns out!

Siljmonster posted:

Did they get the toxic run off from all the mines in WV correct? Did they show all the mountaintop removal in Fallout 76? What about all the opiod addiction problems?

Large regions of the map are swathed in toxic haze that needs a gasmask to survive in, mostly because after the bombs hit, West Virginian leadership went "oh boy! Now we're the resource heart of America! ALL THE DIGGINGS!" and just shoved all the toxic bullshit byproducts wherever they could fit them. Several mountains have been at least partially ground down, and there are a bunch of strip mining rigs in varying sizes all over the place. Some of them are claimable workshops.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I saw some footage of mining sites and the creeks definitely had the lovely orange glow of acid mine drainage. I was asking someone who was playing how many coal mine dungeons there were because how could there not be monster-infested abandoned longwall coal mines? The state is riddled with them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Bethesda-Zenimax is just so desperate for a multiplayer game that it's painful and they're willing to murder any good will to get it.

luckily the next DOOM game looks like they went hands-off and the only real multiplayer thing is a totally optional invasion mechanic. They also previewed a superfast, super skilled demo of the game with controller and mouse controls so DOOM Eternal is already doing 200 percent better than DOOM was in its initial starting point. Unless you count Arkane's games, DOOM is probably the most critically acclaimed game Zenimax accidentally tripped into since Fallout 3.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Geomancing posted:

I saw some footage of mining sites and the creeks definitely had the lovely orange glow of acid mine drainage. I was asking someone who was playing how many coal mine dungeons there were because how could there not be monster-infested abandoned longwall coal mines? The state is riddled with them.

I know it's Pennsylvania, not West Virginia, but I would love a Centralia dungeon. Crawling through a ghost town with cave openings all over the place, sinkholes, and random fires, then having to go underground and crawl through the burning tunnels would be awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kinda feel lost about what to do next. I'm meandering between shallow quest and shallow event, with a lot of goalless wandering in between. Maybe my fault, but progress feels slow without beelining the big quests.

Also regret investing in pistols.

Found two nuclear codes. I'm guessing they'll expire before I learn what to do with them.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/a0x4qm/in_fallout_76_i_am_forever_dead_i_cant_respawn

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This game is art.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
They could increase stash space to 2000 and the same number of people complaining now will complain then.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who wants to start taking bets on what the stash increase will be? I'm hoping for at least double but I am going to guess its going to go from 400 to 600.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who wants to start taking bets on what the stash increase will be? I'm hoping for at least double but I am going to guess its going to go from 400 to 600.

Ill bet you its 600, i wager $100000

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

i have no pip and i must boy

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i watched that entire emil video and here's what i learned:

- emil dosen't know what makes a good story
- interactivity is better by default then any other medium (why watch the revenant when you can fight a bear in skyrim! who gives a poo poo about the story telling that builds up to the Red Wedding that makes it so significant, you can be in the red wedding in skyrim!)
- complex narratives and stories are useless because players will ignore them
- emil proudly ignores all critique of his work

choice quotes:

"the story of the dark brotherhood........is actually a story of the catholic church!"
"skyrim is our most biblical story"
"fallout 4 is about androids! (20 minutes later) it's about james whitey bulger! it's about the monster in the closet!"
"the dialogue system in fallout 4 lets us have more fluid interactions with our characters"
""why watch a movie (shot of The Warriors) when you can interact with it instead (shot of player character dressed like a baseball fury killing another person with a bat)"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"I'm one of the few authors whose written more books than he's read."

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

"I'm one of the few authors whose written more books than he's read."

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

luckily the next DOOM game looks like they went hands-off and the only real multiplayer thing is a totally optional invasion mechanic. They also previewed a superfast, super skilled demo of the game with controller and mouse controls so DOOM Eternal is already doing 200 percent better than DOOM was in its initial starting point. Unless you count Arkane's games, DOOM is probably the most critically acclaimed game Zenimax accidentally tripped into since Fallout 3.

It was almost all worth it to watch the Goon thread in real time during the midnight release as everyone was still doing "Retard 4" "jokes" and the thread shifted hour by hour into "Guys get the game right now. Don't wait for a second, just get it."

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
also emil talking about coming from Looking Glass (where his role was junior designer, so i imagine he just got the sandwiches for everyone) when literally all he did to get hired was write a glowing review on fuckin' Adrenaline Vault

i swear to god, if you hung out in the right IRC channels in 1997 you are probably a lead at Infinity Ward by now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ETPC posted:

i watched that entire emil video and here's what i learned:

- emil dosen't know what makes a good story
- interactivity is better by default then any other medium (why watch the revenant when you can fight a bear in skyrim! who gives a poo poo about the story telling that builds up to the Red Wedding that makes it so significant, you can be in the red wedding in skyrim!)
- complex narratives and stories are useless because players will ignore them
- emil proudly ignores all critique of his work

choice quotes:

"the story of the dark brotherhood........is actually a story of the catholic church!"
"skyrim is our most biblical story"
"fallout 4 is about androids! (20 minutes later) it's about james whitey bulger! it's about the monster in the closet!"
"the dialogue system in fallout 4 lets us have more fluid interactions with our characters"
""why watch a movie (shot of The Warriors) when you can interact with it instead (shot of player character dressed like a baseball fury killing another person with a bat)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVpaPFTWuS0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
god i just thought about how amazing a video game that does for bad video game plots and game dev superstardom from the 90's what garth marenghi's darkplace did for bad super natural horror/medial dramas written by narcissistic book authors would be