Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Your work sells even better if you make it be about Rick and Morty or a fetish so tying any personal ego to the idea the quality of your work is measured by its market value is a great recipe for becoming a depressed artist, yet Campbell's stuff was moving exceptionally well for a self-employed artist who doesn't know any billionaires well before they started posting those updates. Literally every indie comics and small press person has sold more poo poo on Kickstarter than on fuckin Twitter, one's a marketplace for buyers seeking smalltime craftspeople that transformed cottage industry and one's a forum for Nazis to shitpost.

Campbell's problem was they were neither experienced in managing a business no matter how popular nor neurochemically equipped to not zero in on the most negative possible interpretation of anything that was happening to them regardless of external circumstances, not that they were actually one of those leukemia kids forced to perform their misery to an audience on GoFundMe if they wanna live. They were a shrink and an accountant away from being a successful and beloved professional artist.

That's true. I'm just saying I can absolutely see how that experience would provoke a breakdown from someone.

Like, the reason they had to beg for money in the first place was because a bunch of Kickstarter backers asked for refunds for books that weren't going to arrive before Christmas, and Campbell gave them the refunds freely because they felt it was the right thing to do, then found themselves in the hole and needing to sell the original art for their strips as a result of doing this basically ethical thing. That's psychologically tough too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Christmas refunds were ruinous because going into it Campbell's pricing structure had them making no/losing money on every book, and trying to make up for it with volume. A bunch of the first wave of Kickstarter adopters wiped out for basically the same reasons, I don't remember which it was who got driven to the poorhouse because they just didn't put a cap on some tiers they'd never checked that they could scale up without hemorrhaging money.

We're not disagreeing I'm just making clear how pathological the narrative was that their problem was they were being oppressed by their friends and supporters, and justified in lashing out, because some folks itt were talking about how persuasive and 'courageous' it was.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The rare good :nws: Oglaf:

(rare that it's not :nws: not rare that it's good)

Panels five through seven are my fav

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Neophyte posted:

Panels five through seven are my fav
Paging Cryophage?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wait did Campbell really spend 30,000 dollars on printing 2000 books because if so, they totally got screwed over by their printer.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The books did have a built-in compartment designed to contain a dead wasp. Not your standard printer's order, to be sure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

The books did have a built-in compartment designed to contain a dead wasp. Not your standard printer's order, to be sure.

That's true but going to a random website (that I may or may not have used to print comics in the past), $15/book is literally twice the price of what I'm quoted for, for a bigger, full colour book. (It's 4x the cost if we are looking at a greyscale book)

If it *is* true that dead wasps had a major role in ruining Campbell's life then wow

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 19, 2018

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Off the top of my head I think it was the shipping costs that cause the trouble. That's something that many kickstarters seem neglect to think about and run into trouble with.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

Off the top of my head I think it was the shipping costs that cause the trouble. That's something that many kickstarters seem neglect to think about and run into trouble with.

The account I'm reading says it cost them 30k USD to print 2000 books, then more for the wasps, which left not enough to do shipping, especially after refunds.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's the going rate on bulk dead wasps

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what's the going rate on bulk dead wasps

all your health and sanity / 10 gross, as far as I can tell

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought that wasp thing was a joke. Where do you even get a bunch of dead wasps.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Galvanik posted:

I thought that wasp thing was a joke. Where do you even get a bunch of dead wasps.

no it's real I have my wasp book still

I remember on the kickstarter the wasps were described as ethically sourced. with some degree of irony. it is a mystery

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Campbell's rant on Kickstarter is really hard to read because it hits home for me. Someone I know was under-medicated for their mental issues for YEARS, and she sounded JUST like that. Right down to wanting to be supported as an artist without being required to produce work. Now that she's on the right medication, she has a job and can function in society again, and is embarrassed about her previous actions. I hope Campbell also got the help they need, but I somehow doubt it. :/

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
campbells actually right, its just that human sanity involves accepting the status quo to a certain extent

the appropriate response to the world we live in only manages to not be burning it all down because thatll gently caress the rest of the environment even more lmao

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the solution to 'capitalism is a plague destroying us, the earth, and all we hold dear' is not 'if you care about me at all as a person, then give me money for nothing in return so that i personally get to live outside of capitalism' imo

hopefully campbell is in a better headspace these days and doing okay, but i doubt we'll ever hear from again given how throughly they went to torch their online presence

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tollymain posted:

campbells actually right, its just that human sanity involves accepting the status quo to a certain extent

That's the frustrating part when dealing with a loved one with this kind of mental illness - you can't really argue with any of their points. Yes, the world is hosed up, yes, things are incredibly unfair, and yes there's basically gently caress-all we can do about it. We all accept that because we still need to try and live our lives in a healthy and mostly happy way, because what the gently caress else are we going to do?

But when someone close to you decides, no, I'm going to opt out, I have no desire to be happy when there's suffering and inequality, and gently caress everyone else who isn't dropping of society out with me. Everyone has already been judged by their very, very strict moral code, found wanting because they're not starving in the street with a picket sign, and therefore they are not worthy of basic human decency.

It's loving heartbreaking to experience firsthand, and the only real solution is finding the proper medication (at least in my case).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

AriadneThread posted:

the solution to 'capitalism is a plague destroying us, the earth, and all we hold dear' is not 'if you care about me at all as a person, then give me money for nothing in return so that i personally get to live outside of capitalism' imo

I always had a vague idea that their KS burn-out had some kind of rhetorical argument? Like, that they were trying, albeit really ineffectually, to push the general idea of a basic income?
Or am I way off base.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

I always had a vague idea that their KS burn-out had some kind of rhetorical argument? Like, that they were trying, albeit really ineffectually, to push the general idea of a basic income?
Or am I way off base.

I mean, it's online and you can still read it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

quote:

All right: I want direct funding for my living necessities. I want to establish relationships with a group of people who can pay for my baseline needs like food and rent. I am looking for people who do not feel they need to see any “return” on their “investment.” I am looking for people who understand that money is a bad joke we use to hurt each other. I’m looking for people who like me were born with a lot of privileges but who have had the awareness and emotional stability to keep their bucket under the faucet when the money comes out.

I am not looking for the support of anyone who wants a book, or wants to see me put stick figure comics on the internet. I do not need the support of anyone who thinks that I will deserve to eat and sleep only after I have fulfilled some standard they’ve chosen to hold me to. I am looking for people who believe that if you spend your life in a small room thinking, you deserve to live and breathe the same amount as someone who spends their life doing intense physical or mental labor, or who has money that “makes money."

When I have established a means for a small group of people to directly meet my needs, and I know that the people involved understand the value of what they are doing and would continue without me, I will transfer these relationships to someone else. This will provide for the basic living necessities of a person who would not usually have the opportunity for their needs to be met by strangers on the internet. They will not be asked to do anything to keep these relationships going. They will simply have their needs met.
It seems to be both, kind of? Like once Campbell gets enough people willing to support their basic income, they will "transfer these relationships to someone else" in some unexplained way that will continue to support Campbell, but support other people who need it too, I guess? It's not very well thought out, obviously.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think it weirded them out that there were people who could afford the $500 and $1000 tiers and liked their work. Would weird me out too. The same amount of money is so trivial to some people and life-or-death to others.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

I think it weirded them out that there were people who could afford the $500 and $1000 tiers and liked their work. Would weird me out too. The same amount of money is so trivial to some people and life-or-death to others.

Why? That's literally what an art patron is. I live in San Diego, and more than half the exhibits at the zoo are named after Conrad Prebys, some guy who gave a LOT of money. It wouldn't be the place it is without that. It's the same philosophy behind Patreon - I haven't seen the numbers, but I assume the higher tier backers are what really keep artists afloat.

Their reaction was to recoil from the fact the backers WANTED something for the money. That disgusts them. But doing nothing for the same money... That's ok somehow? It's very twisted logic, especially when you consider that they STILL would be leaning on their privilege - the only reason anyone would choose Campbell in particular to support to do nothing is because they knew his comic.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Or am I way off base.

there was a follow-up e-mail, like, a year later to people that had asked to stay in touch
re-reading it now, it's not quite as emotionally manipulative as i remember but the basic gist was, subscribe to them via PayPal for $20 a month for the project of 'being alive' if you thought they were valuable enough person to keep alive.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

If it *is* true that dead wasps had a major role in ruining Campbell's life then wow
i would never joke about these things

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
campbell is the van gogh of our generation

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why? That's literally what an art patron is. I live in San Diego, and more than half the exhibits at the zoo are named after Conrad Prebys, some guy who gave a LOT of money. It wouldn't be the place it is without that. It's the same philosophy behind Patreon - I haven't seen the numbers, but I assume the higher tier backers are what really keep artists afloat.

Leaving aside the specifics of Campbell's whole meltdown, it's pretty hosed up to be barely surviving day to day and suddenly brought face-to-face with the fact that there's people in your social circle who have so much personal wealth they can just throw thousands of dollars away on an idle whim and see nothing exceptional about that. "gently caress you why am I living like this then" is a pretty natural response, and the knowledge that, like, robber barons have existed in the abstract doesn't really prepare you for the disgusting reality.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 20, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Depression is hard to live with and hard to witness. But you shouldn't try to argue with a disease.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

AriadneThread posted:

subscribe to them via PayPal for $20 a month for the project of 'being alive' if you thought they were valuable enough person to keep alive.

No that doesn't sound emotionally manipulative at all.

In equal measure I hope that they were able to get the help they needed and that we never hear from them again.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
perhaps the saga is only beginning

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
personally i feel campbell's being ridiculously passive-aggressive about it

if i ever find myself in a hole i cant see out of im just going to self-immolate in front of the police bureau

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

No that doesn't sound emotionally manipulative at all.

In equal measure I hope that they were able to get the help they needed and that we never hear from them again.

yeah, i went with that phrasing because that's still my take-away even if it's not as bad as i remember it being
i'd offer to share the letter so people could decide for themselves but it's long and rambly plus it'd feel like a privacy violation

Tollymain posted:

perhaps the saga is only beginning

that's the last thing i heard from them, and that was three years ago, so i doubt it? campbell offered to keep in touch with ~life subscribers~ but i don't know anyone that took up the offer

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you know, i didnt think that lulenski could make this look any more like a worse idea without verging into farce but i was wrong

on the other hand over in never satisfied im not at all surprised by how many questions corny manages to avoid answering while opening up new ones lmao

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 26, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also jeds time w us in a ghost story might be coming to an end

how terrible lmao

i hope he somehow comes back having learned absolutely nothing

e: also hey paradise is back

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 27, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So this is making the rounds...

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1067452621315891200

and I know it's a normal clickbait thing to make a list that's like half correct and half trash so that people get angry and talk about it, but it makes me wonder what the real non-Homestuck influential webcomics are?

Gunshow, Dinosaur Comics, 8-Bit Theater, and Perry Bible Fellowship are glaringly missing. Hell, even Lackadaisy deserves a nod for how much it elevated artistic expectations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kelly Turnbull had a short thread about MGDMT and some of the related things going on

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1067568099908476929

it's kind of rough in spots

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hi! I'm Wanda Lulenski, and welcome to Jackass!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

QC isn't influential because it's good, it's influential because it's hipster Marmaduke and has also somehow managed to create a merchandising empire because what JJ is really good at is Hot Topic t-shirt design.

rannum posted:

Kelly Turnbull had a short thread about MGDMT and some of the related things going on
I miss MGDMT, but it really was a product of its time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

QC isn't influential because it's good, it's influential because it's hipster Marmaduke and has also somehow managed to create a merchandising empire because what JJ is really good at is Hot Topic t-shirt design.

I miss MGDMT, but it really was a product of its time.

I suppose it's "influential" in the same way any shambling comic that updates out of financial obligations is. Being known and part of the culture out of sheer inertia.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll get Olivia James'd in 30 years?

rannum posted:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1067568099908476929

it's kind of rough in spots

Manly Guys has a sweet message, but I don't blame her for wanting to move on to things that don't involve making a video game webcomic.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Nuns with Guns posted:

So this is making the rounds...

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1067452621315891200

and I know it's a normal clickbait thing to make a list that's like half correct and half trash so that people get angry and talk about it, but it makes me wonder what the real non-Homestuck influential webcomics are?

Gunshow, Dinosaur Comics, 8-Bit Theater, and Perry Bible Fellowship are glaringly missing. Hell, even Lackadaisy deserves a nod for how much it elevated artistic expectations.

A Lesson Is Learned should be on here

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I suppose it's "influential" in the same way any shambling comic that updates out of financial obligations is. Being known and part of the culture out of sheer inertia.
The Simpsons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

thrilla in vanilla posted:

A Lesson Is Learned should be on here

agree
i'd put it in place of dresden codak, imo

i don't know about 8-bit theatre being a 'most important' did it really leave that big an impact beside being 'the other good sprite comic'?