Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'll take the one sentence joke reviews over this format (this one's For Pump Up the Volume) where it's a giant list of sentence fragments, most of which are completely forgettable if you didn't literally just watch the movie. Whenever I see one of those that poo poo makes my blood curdle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There are a disgusting amount of people on Letterboxd trying to become Movie Dril and spoilers it aint fuckin happening

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

I'll take the one sentence joke reviews over this format (this one's For Pump Up the Volume) where it's a giant list of sentence fragments, most of which are completely forgettable if you didn't literally just watch the movie. Whenever I see one of those that poo poo makes my blood curdle.

Yeah, man. Those are relentlessly lovely, too. People really are always aiming for some kind of schtick that will get them famous, huh?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

Honestly, they're pretty easy to ignore after a certain point. The ones that get me are the ones that look like they're multiple paragraphs so you think "Oh, they actually thought about some stuff" but it turns out to just be a list of things that happen in the movie.

Also, any YouTubers on the site are garbage.

This is my biggest pet peeve, along with super long reviews that probably have good content in them but no capitalization. You can get away with that poo poo for one, maybe two paragraphs, but not an essay.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

weekly font posted:

There are a disgusting amount of people on Letterboxd trying to become Movie Dril and spoilers it aint fuckin happening

Calling Nicholson movie dril from now on

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Letterboxd's Twitter account today confirmed they have no plans to complete their film sorting options by adding a 'Popularity ascending' option.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeesh, no idea what I'm doing, but I might as well share it with all of you: https://letterboxd.com/resurgam40/

No idea if I even can choose my favorite movies (seems too broad), but I will probably write some reviews as they occur to me and I keep adding films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I get the complaints about the lists, but I will say Letterboxd has been one of the best discovery tools I've ever found online. It's not hard to just pull back the layer of noise and find some actually great, niche, well-curated lists of films on particular subjects. I've been slowly researching films about hackers and the internet for about a year now and there were several great lists with different hooks that turned up a ton of obscure films I would likely never have heard of (or would have taken much longer to find) without.

Typically I just start with a film that fits my criteria, see what lists its included in, and usually only have to dig a couple pages in before I find a solid one. I don't think I ever just go to the general Lists tab on the site.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dear God, I just learned that Letterboxd also lists a few YouTube videos, and now I'm taking a trip down memory lane. When was the last time you thought about Charlie the Unicorn?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Letterboxd's Twitter account today confirmed they have no plans to complete their film sorting options by adding a 'Popularity ascending' option.

Out of curiosity I found the end of the list: https://letterboxd.com/films/popular/size/small/page/5601/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's where I find out that the Evil Dead remake is pt4 in China.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shout out to the Vegan Alert lady. I can see the usefulness of warning people about real/simulated animal abuse in movies but love that half of her entries are things like

quote:

-In the beginning, a teenage boy is wearing a leather watch.

I'm sure it has to be sincere, but it makes me laugh every time I see one.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If you opt to not watch a movie solely because a character wears a leather watch, I hope I never meet you.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Well, yeah, but if a dog, or even a cat at this point, is brutally killed or abused in a movie, my wife will get terrifically upset, so some kind of soft-hearted warning would be nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

Vegan alert:
Milk spilled all over the floor.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For Black Friday, Letterboxd is currently offering their Pro upgrade for $12 for a year. I think it's normally $20.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Power of Pecota posted:

Last week I found some college kid writing sub-tier Garden State/Salinger prose throughout his reviews. Like, all his reviews had a thread throughout them, about how some girl broke his heart and he couldn't stop thinking about her and every loving movie related to a memory with her. It was just the absolute shittiest try-hard "serious college kid" writing I've seen in a while. Wish I could find the user now to show you guys. The worst possible use of the site.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I just ran into that same guy's one for The General and blaaaaaagghghhhghg

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Power of Pecota posted:

We need to end Letterboxd.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Last week I found some college kid writing sub-tier Garden State/Salinger prose throughout his reviews. Like, all his reviews had a thread throughout them, about how some girl broke his heart and he couldn't stop thinking about her and every loving movie related to a memory with her. It was just the absolute shittiest try-hard "serious college kid" writing I've seen in a while. Wish I could find the user now to show you guys. The worst possible use of the site.

You know what movies he reviewed?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I finally got Letterboxd pro. Anybody know if there's a way to make it so on the stats page for highest rated it doesn't list people who I've only seen one movie by? Or at least combine the most watched with highest rated? Basically I have like 15 directors who I only watched one movie by and gave it 5 stars this year so they're all listed under the highest rated tab.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Power of Pecota posted:

That dude is the worst. He also keeps posting his stupid reviews that are just a vague list of things that happen in the movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Shelled out $12 for Pro and enjoying seeing my stats. I liked that it tells me how many films from my Watchlist I actually watched this year (60) and how many I added (over 400). One thing I'd love for them to add though is an ability to see what those 60 movies I watched were. Obviously I can go back and look at my diary but I usually don't remember what was on my Watchlist and what wasn't.

Also, this gives me a challenge for next year: Watch more films off my list than I add.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pro was worth it just for this lmao

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched a lot of Bond and Hammer Horror this year so mine looks like this.

EDIT: Gah, he's part of the "See More" section but I also saw six movies with Jean-Pierre Léaud.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 27, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did you have a big Waters discovery year, or is he just in regular rotation?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

None but the biggest stars for me this year.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did you have a big Waters discovery year, or is he just in regular rotation?

filmstruck had a few for awhile, and then his pre-Mondo Trasho shorts were on exhibit in Baltimore this fall. I think all of that put me into a phase and I listened to some of his commentary tracks, which are often as funny and captivating as the films. Totally admit that my lineup looks like a 15 year old w film school ambitions

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

None but the biggest stars for me this year.

I was wondering about how you'd watched 20 John Ratzenberger movies and then I looked him up and saw he's done voices in almost every single Pixar film.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I was about to be impressed by all the Ernest they'd have to have been watching.

Mine's boring. A pile of very average movies put Idris Elba on top :/
edit: Bill and Ted watching Star Trek in Bogus Journey got Shatner in my top 10. That's fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 28, 2018

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Friends Are Evil posted:

You know what movies he reviewed?

I think I recall Beautiful Boy was one of the more recent ones (he had definitely reviewed multiple Timothee movies, lol)

Also: Somehow I ended up following you on Letterboxd before I realized you were a goon (saw some of your reviews posted in the Horror thread last month). Always enjoy your thoughts!!!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Watching Godzilla movies really makes this weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I did an MCU rewatch this year, so...

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Yeah, watching anything even tangentially related to Marvel absolutely fucks up your top 10. It did for mine. Ving Rhames is near the top of mine somehow?

I think my top directors probably says more about my habits this year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Friends Are Evil posted:

Yeah, watching anything even tangentially related to Marvel absolutely fucks up your top 10. It did for mine. Ving Rhames is near the top of mine somehow?

Only thing I can think of is that you watched all the Mission Impossible films recently.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

Only thing I can think of is that you watched all the Mission Impossible films recently.

Actually, just the first one and Fallout!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah my director's list paints a little different of a picture too now that I'm looking at it.

The most surprising thing to me is that I somehow saw three Wellman movies this year.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Are these top actor/director lists part of the end of year thing they do or is it a premium feature?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lester Shy posted:

Are these top actor/director lists part of the end of year thing they do or is it a premium feature?

It's the Stats page you only get if you're a Pro subscriber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So after years of laziness and gradually adding everything I rated on criticker I finally completed my account! I’m over at https://letterboxd.com/escobarbarian/

I was wondering, if I go back and log the dates I watched movies, or add my reviews from criticker, does that bump them back up to the top? I don’t wanna be spamming the hell out of anyone’s feeds.