Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
https://letterboxd.com

Interest in Letterboxd is growing at rate that it's steadily eclipsing all the other movie-nerd rating sites (although, if you add Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb or Netflix to this graph, everything including Letterboxd disappears).

It's also way more pleasing to the eye than any of these other sites - just have a poke around yourself on an individual film, user-page, list, film person or the popular films page to see what I mean. All of these are presented in a really easy to navigate way, and have a few customisation options too.

What Letterboxd has
- Rate a film on a star rating from one to five (inc. half stars)
- Review films
- Like other people's reviews
- Add up to Four favourite films of all time (yep - only Four; choose wisely!)
- Add films to a watchlist or other "Lists" with titles that group them together, rank them or add reasons on said lists
- Follow and follow-back other users to keep track of what they're watching and if they Review it
- See what other people are watching on the cleanest sort-by popularity interface I've ever seen (and again, customisable); you can Fade out (or outright Hide) films you've already watched, limit popularity to week, month or all time, limit by decade or genre, or sort by rating or things like film length or release date instead. All these options are available when sorting through user lists as well, and you can rate, review or add films to a list by mousing over them on pretty much any page
- they also have quite pleasing Year in Review pages about what Users liked most that year
- "Pro"? I'm not a pro member, but for $19 a year you can get a personalised Year in Review Page, import activity from IMDb or sort films by Service Availability ie Netflix. I don't have this, so I can't comment on how worthwhile it is, but I've never felt limited by my free membership.

An example of the interface, this is the "Most Popular of All Time" (note - Popular, not highest rated; this measures user activity on the film, not scores) since the site launched in 2011. I've moused over a film I have seen, Nightcrawler to show the options available directly from the same page - clicking any of these things won't take me out of the page unless I click on the Nightcrawler poster. Films I haven't seen are faded out (yes, I know I need to watch The Shining. No, I'm probably never going to see Age of Ultron or Deadpool).

Examples of user lists. They range from useful or interesting to funny to kinda poo poo as to be expected. Like the films on the site, looking at user listscan also be sorted by their popularity across various timeframes.

What this site doesn't have

(above is their feedback page, where you can make and vote on other suggestions).
As you can see there is currently no personalised recommendation algorithm. At this stage the much bigger focus on the site is just on overall ratings/popularity as well as qualitative perspectives of other Users from their reviews and Lists. There also isn't a way to match with Users who have similar taste - you might 'Follow' a stranger on the basis of liking their review or list, but you can't get matched up on the basis of similarity. That said, their response to Feedback indicates that they might add these features (and I think it would be great, given that their userbase continues to grow and we'd get some great data out of it!) but, this might be a reason to keep a Criticker or other site you use for personalised rec's even if you do migrate across.

There isn't a way to create a specific Group/Community with other users as well either. I'm happy to periodically add Goons who are on the site who link their profile in this thread to this OP, though:

Mod Edit for Updated List:

Goons Ate Goatse posted:

Hello my letterboxing friends, the fact that the OP was not up to date and even included 404s bugged me for months now, so I went ahead and made a new updated list of all goons who posted their account in this thread, sorted alphabetically:

Updated 09/10/2023
8one6 - 8one6
Akarshi - nukedeggs
Allyn - Allyn
Antisamitism - antisam
Ashheap Empire - HarryJSleaze
Barry Convex - Barry Convex
Biff Rockgroin - Whamola
blast0rama - blastorama
BOAT SHOWBOAT - timmytime
bowmore - caramonfives
CatstropheWaitress - LazyPieSunday
checkplease - ch3ckplease
china bot - paoloerasmus
Crescent Wrench - DusterBuster
Darthemed - Darthemed
Detective Dog Dick - smashthestate
distortion park - space goats
DoubleCakes - doublecakes
DrVenkman - DrKoctopus
duz - duz
Egbert Souse - Egbert Souse
E.G.G.S. - MenOnFilm
egon_beeblebrox - farts_johnson
EL BROMANCE - jayx
El Graplurado - momoe nakanishi
Erin M. Fiasco - HardLuckErin
Escobarbarian - escobarbarian
fadam - amalenczak
FancyMike - fancymike
feedmyleg - gregoryreg
fenix down - fenixdown
Fifteen of Many - NickHough
Franchescanado - Franchescanado
FreudianSlippers - Gnonn
Friends Are Evil - moonsmilk
gey muckle mowser - muckle_mowser
GoldenGun - Grobbelboy
Goons Ate Goatse - Gaggy
Goth Odell Beckham - GothOdell
graventy - graventy
Greekonomics - karatebugman
Hat Thoughts - havelava
Heavy Metal - frankboothfan
I, Butthole - aewade
I Before E - TildeSwinton
Ibexaz - Ibexaz
Ingmar terdman - IdiotBear
Irritated Goat - irritatedgoat
JivJov - jivjov
Jordan7hm - jordan7hm
josh04 - Josh Mc
kalel - kalel
kanonvandekempen - GorgonZola
Kull the Conqueror - actionberg
K. Waste - kenny_waste
Lester Shy - KanleyStubrick
Lord Seo - amerrit
MacheteZombie - MacheteZ
Mantis42 - Mantis42
Maxwell Lord - EvanWaters
MrMojok - MrMojok
Narzack - narzack
Nroo - nroo
Peggotty - cebrail
PenguinKnight - Ami_Mizuno
piratepilates - piratejerk
pospysyl - pospysyl
Principle Hellman - clawxco
Rageaholic - AetheriusNOLA
Rascar Capac - rascar_capac
Ratedargh - ratedargh
Raxivace - Raxivace
resurgam40 - resurgam40
Roth - TwilightSporkle
Servoret - cbf
Shrecknet - shrecknet
SMP - smp
SoylentCola - OafParkour
STAG Goat - Goatgonzo
Spatulater bro! - caiman
SylvainMustach - Tomhomo
T Bowl - tfowl
Teenage Fansub - Teenage Fansub
Terrorist Fistbump - koblentz
thatfuturekid - mitchhayes
The Hausu Usher - Scream Comrade
Tsyni - tsyni
twernt - twernt
Twin Cinema - twin_cinema
Vanilla Bison - saltliquor
Vince MechMahon - Vincemechmahon
weekly font - weeklyfont
Wilhelm Scream - vincentprice
zenintrude - zenintrude
zer0spunk - aschaeffer
Zurtilik - Zurtilik

I removed those who did not log any movie this year (as of September 2022) as well as any old or removed accounts. I most certainly forgot one or three, so if you want to be added and are not in there or if you would like to be removed, hit me!
I'll pester a mod to add this to the OP, too and I'll try to keep it updated from now on!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://letterboxd.com/TildeSwinton/ Here's mine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would consider moving from criticker if they had a better rating scale. Is it seriously just 1-5 stars?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Escobarbarian posted:

I would consider moving from criticker if they had a better rating scale. Is it seriously just 1-5 stars?

Yes, but with half-star increments.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Letterboxd is extremely good. It's the only movie-rating-and-review site I've ever used more than a handful of times before giving up in frustration or asking myself what the point was. So easy to use, and so easy to get an idea of what to expect before watching a movie I'm iffy on, or just know nothing about.

I made a list of the CineD Movies of the Month a while ago for my own benefit, now for all to enjoy: https://letterboxd.com/koblentz/list/cined-motm/

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Letterboxd is indeed pretty awesome. I don't really rate or review movies, I just like them or don't like them, and that's fine by me.

Here's where I'm at:

http://letterboxd.com/kenny_waste/

Also, the process of adding films isn't super intuitive or anything, but you don't need to have a Pro-account to add data. If you watch a movie, can't find it on Letterboxd, your best bet is to check if it's on IMDb or TheMovieDatabase (the latter of which is what letterboxd primarily uses). Signing up for an adding to TheMovieDatabase is super easy and way easier than IMDb. Once you've added something there, all you have to do is just copy the numerical code of the entry, and past it at the end of this url - letterboxd.com/tmdb/ - and press enter. It won't automatically load all the data from it, but within 24-hours you'll have a fine new entry.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Just joined, because I started a personal wordpress blog to force myself to write more about movies as well as track what I watch/embarrass myself into getting through my backlog: https://letterboxd.com/aewade/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just getting started:
http://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/

I switched from Criticker to IMDB, but there's too much garbage

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I've added everyone so far to the OP

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah the site is going for intuitive and readable. Personally my Criticker ratings are a mess because of the granular rating system. I understand why Criticker does it that way because allocating your ratings in Tiers of movies underpins their recommendation system and works well for fine-tuned ratings, but I think in general we're all able to conceptualise the difference between a 3 and 3.5 star movie a lot more than a 62 versus a 67 out of 100.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://letterboxd.com/Teenage_Fansub/

Can this be a backdoor for Film Junk podcast fans to congregate?
https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/486703299991572481

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah the site is going for intuitive and readable. Personally my Criticker ratings are a mess because of the granular rating system. I understand why Criticker does it that way because allocating your ratings in Tiers of movies underpins their recommendation system and works well for fine-tuned ratings, but I think in general we're all able to conceptualise the difference between a 3 and 3.5 star movie a lot more than a 62 versus a 67 out of 100.

Oh yeah, I absolutely get this. I just like to be super intricate with my rankings. I'll probably move over eventually, though.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

If you like Filmspotting podcast as well both hosts are on it and frequently mention it on the show:
https://letterboxd.com/larsenonfilm/
https://letterboxd.com/filmspotting/

I think there are some more film-famous people on it but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is uh, Roger Avary.
Roger Avary:
https://letterboxd.com/avary/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just started mine, so I'll slowly be adding in movies I've remembered I've watched.
http://letterboxd.com/HollandOates/

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Here's mine:
https://letterboxd.com/nukedeggs/

I made it a while ago, it's a pretty good way of keeping track of what you watched. Some great reviews on here too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://letterboxd.com/jayx

Been using and enjoying LB for a few years now, I dig how you can essentially use the site in whatever way you like to. The lists function is my favourite aspect, and the second they add reordering to the iPhone app I'll dance a little jig of joy.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://letterboxd.com/jayx

Been using and enjoying LB for a few years now, I dig how you can essentially use the site in whatever way you like to. The lists function is my favourite aspect, and the second they add reordering to the iPhone app I'll dance a little jig of joy.

Yeah, I can't wait for them to add an Android app, although the website is still not bad at all in terms of being mobile-friendly without an app.

Love your Force Awakens review btw.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
I love Letterboxd so much. It's never been easier for me to track movies and carefully assign them ratings between 3 - 4.5 stars.

Follow me and track my ongoing descent into madness: http://letterboxd.com/antisam/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm in the process of adding all my Criticker ratings and reviews to Letterboxd. I have 2369 films rated on Criticker, and about a third of them have reviews. :( This is an onerous process.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah, I can't wait for them to add an Android app, although the website is still not bad at all in terms of being mobile-friendly without an app.

Love your Force Awakens review btw.

Thank you! I haven't re-watched it yet despite having the blu-ray, but I feel like I'm one of the few who didn't get over the honeymoon period and I still love it.

Yeah the site on a mobile isn't impossible which is good, and I used to get by before the app. I'm just awful at re-ordering within lists without accidentally knocking another entry out of its place. Reminds me I have a bunch of 2016 entries to reorder before people* think decent films are my most hated of the year. And I'm on my laptop so I can add all of you guys easily too, woo! Most of my followed/follows are random people so it's nice to have a connection with others on the site. I might start moving some of my more recent reviews over after a grace period from the website I write for now too.

* lol who am I kidding

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Haha I just checked my "Popular with Friends" page after adding a bunch of Goons and compared to the regular "Popular" across the whole site Spring Breakers is now the 2nd most popular movie and all the Marvel movies are way lower.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even worse, mine has the most recent Superman movie, and Batman vs Superman on the front page of greatest movies of all time. I'm pretty sure that's not the goon influence though, I hope not though.

---

So here's something that was done on letterboxd last year, but sadly doesn't seem to have been done with as much oomph this year as the original dude was incapacitated and putting it together looks like a bit of a chore. It might be something we could recreate between us on a smaller scale, though... maybe 10 weeks worth?

http://letterboxd.com/zapperlife/list/letterboxd-season-challenge-2015-16/detail/

Essentially each week contains a pool of films with a common theme, and you would choose one from each week you'd not seen and then made an effort to watch it and review it before the deadline. Sadly my life changed dramatically last year so I only got a small part through it, but I really enjoyed going through a lot of stuff that really isn't on my radar and getting ready to watch them.

e: ooh this one looks quite good. Starts in 2017 so gives people plenty of time to get titles ready etc http://letterboxd.com/karmanoodle/list/film-school-drop-outs-weekly-challenge-2017/

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 5, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Favorite Short Films (work in progress)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even worse, mine has the most recent Superman movie, and Batman vs Superman on the front page of greatest movies of all time. I'm pretty sure that's not the goon influence though, I hope not though.

You can look at the Highest Rated amongst the entire userbase, and Most Popular of All Time amongst your network (as well as the entire userbase). Popularity just measures how often it's being watched/rated/reviewed/etc., ie it's a measure of user activity not of opinions of film worth. There doesn't appear to be a way to see Highest Rated amongst only your network, which is kind of an oversight imo and a potential feature suggestion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm liking that it lets you choose a film as "watched" instead of having to rate it.

I've seen every surviving Georges Melies film, but there's no way I can reliably list a rating for all 170-180 of them.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm liking that it lets you choose a film as "watched" instead of having to rate it.

I've seen every surviving Georges Melies film, but there's no way I can reliably list a rating for all 170-180 of them.

Yeah there's a lot of flexibility. You can also just hit "Liked" without rating them too (edit: though I think you have to click "Like" and "Watched" for it to show as seen, rationale being you can Like unreleased movies I think).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's a shame Criticker seems to have fallen out of favor. I like Letterboxd for a better focus on community and also collecting movie posters like trading cards is fun. But Criticker is super useful for sorting movies (like when I want to know what I've seen from 1975 specifically) and for creating a remembered films list. I keep both going since they've got their advantages and disadvantages, but I'm worried about Criticker going under.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This is mine, although I haven't put much time into it yet
http://letterboxd.com/havelava/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not on any of these review sites but the idea of having only four top films is unique in the era where some have a top 100 by year.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

I'm not on any of these review sites but the idea of having only four top films is unique in the era where some have a top 100 by year.

He's overstating it. You can change them at will and it's just a sort of profile icon to throw up to give people a sense for your taste. You can always use the lists feature to make aforementioned Top 100 by Year collections.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TrixRabbi posted:

It's a shame Criticker seems to have fallen out of favor. I like Letterboxd for a better focus on community and also collecting movie posters like trading cards is fun. But Criticker is super useful for sorting movies (like when I want to know what I've seen from 1975 specifically) and for creating a remembered films list. I keep both going since they've got their advantages and disadvantages, but I'm worried about Criticker going under.

This is the kind of thing that shouldn't be too difficult to implement at least. The only issue with Lb is that development speed is quite snail paced there... I've only noticed a handful of changes in the last few years - but they have been for the better.

TrixRabbi posted:

He's overstating it. You can change them at will and it's just a sort of profile icon to throw up to give people a sense for your taste. You can always use the lists feature to make aforementioned Top 100 by Year collections.

Yeah the 4 picks are just what people see on your profile page, use Lists for pretty much everything.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm pretty sure you can sort films by date, or are you guys talkin' about something else?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I just presumed the previous poster was correct in his assertion. There is a fair amount of things like that tucked away and possible to find through the filters, hopefully that'll do everything he needs.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TrixRabbi posted:

Are "remembered films" films you want to see? Letterboxd has that too, as a "watchlist" that you can add films to with two clicks.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Here's mine.

Gaze upon my stars and despair :negative: (i'm branching out from cartoon movies, i swear)

I also kinda feel like im too lenient on the ratings. oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 6, 2016

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

On any individual film you can see its number of Fans though, with fans being number of users who've picked it as one of their top 4. Which has been the subject of Lists themselves sorting by number of Fans.

Of course there is scope to make lists of any length, and you can change them at any time, but it is interesting to have to pick four films and those four films that others pick is the first thing you'll see on their profile!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

K. Waste posted:

I'm pretty sure you can sort films by date, or are you guys talkin' about something else?

I find this format much more efficient for that type of thing.

The predicted scores are nice too.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I find this format much more efficient for that type of thing.

The predicted scores are nice too.

Different strokes for different strokes I guess. Like you said, it's fun to "collect movie posters" and I like going to a given year or decade and fading out the movies I've seen with the ones leftover being a suggestion. I use both sites; I'll often sort by popularity to see what people are watching on Letterboxd and then lookup that same movie on Criticker to see my predicted score.

To put it another way, Letterboxd has become my IMDb while Criticker is my Rotten Tomatoes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm going to begin using Letterboxd regularly, but I'll keep using Criticker too. Criticker's predicted score feature works unbelievable well. Sometimes it's uncanny how accurate it is.

Once I've added all of my movies to LB, I'll post a link here to my profile. I've got about 2,000 to go...

SMP
May 5, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm going to begin using Letterboxd regularly, but I'll keep using Criticker too. Criticker's predicted score feature works unbelievable well. Sometimes it's uncanny how accurate it is.

Once I've added all of my movies to LB, I'll post a link here to my profile. I've got about 2,000 to go...

Same here. Criticker is great but it has the look of a site that's going to mysteriously disappear one day. Just finished moving all my picks over. Thankfully I didn't have four digits like some others here.

http://letterboxd.com/smp/

e: How did you get the films you've seen to fade out?

SMP fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Go to any list and click the eyeball on the right side of the sorting bar.