Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

For some reason because of my Network joke, I keep getting this scene stuck in my head from the end of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, with Blue Diamond as Jane, and Pink Diamond as Blanche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZx5zfkG6oU

Don't you understand?... I shattered myself.
Does this mean... all this time we could have been friends?

Doesn't make any sense to have connected but there you go.

Unless there's a joke I'm missing, you hosed up your video link, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TwoPair posted:

Unless there's a joke I'm missing, you hosed up your video link, bud.

THanks, I'll fix that. fixed, it was meant to be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-51WBslQn4

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So weird connection with SU I just noticed in She Ra.

Glimmer's got Amethyst body. In that her body shape gets lean, muscled and generally more angular based on how serious poo poo is.

I swear the difference between the light hearted and serious eps is like jumping from Tina Belcher to a compact Korra.

Edit: I mean it's probably animation budgets, but the difference is really stark and it only really gets clear that her stockiness is mostly muscle when things get serious/they crank up the budget.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 25, 2018

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Pomp posted:

Stevens gonna start telling gem society that they don't need to get mad, they need to vote in November

This is on track with the next episodes estimated to air in 2020.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Sometimes Food posted:

So weird connection with SU I just noticed in She Ra.

Glimmer's got Amethyst body. In that her body shape gets lean, muscled and generally more angular based on how serious poo poo is.

I swear the difference between the light hearted and serious eps is like jumping from Tina Belcher to a compact Korra.

Edit: I mean it's probably animation budgets, but the difference is really stark and it only really gets clear that her stockiness is mostly muscle when things get serious/they crank up the budget.

That's not the most uncommon thing with animation, especially in looser art styles. One-Punch Man comes to mind of a more extreme example in animation, with Saitama normally being animated as a simplistic caricature until he starts taking a fight half-seriously. On the other hand, the Diamonds are animated more loosely and with less of their usual unsettling level of detail after Reunited to show the situation isn't immediately deadly serious for once.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
To the poster who said Yellow Diamond just taking a schvitz: thank you, since reading that I've been imagining YD actually calling the sauna that as well as dropping tons of other Yiddish loanwords.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's not the most uncommon thing with animation, especially in looser art styles. One-Punch Man comes to mind of a more extreme example in animation, with Saitama normally being animated as a simplistic caricature until he starts taking a fight half-seriously. On the other hand, the Diamonds are animated more loosely and with less of their usual unsettling level of detail after Reunited to show the situation isn't immediately deadly serious for once.

I guess with Glimmer it stuck out more because I totally read that as fat but the detailed look makes it clear she's mostly muscle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Wrong thread

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plant MONSTER. posted:

To the poster who said Yellow Diamond just taking a schvitz: thank you, since reading that I've been imagining YD actually calling the sauna that as well as dropping tons of other Yiddish loanwords.

I want her to use putz like peridot uses clod

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Maybe Steven figures out how to manifest clothing as all full-blooded gems can do.

I’m sort of expecting White to comment how ‘Pink” isn’t properly attired, wave her hand with some sort of matriarchal diamond authority override and Steven’s gem manifests those clothes.

And now he’s stuck in them until he figures out the mental gymnastics to de-manifest them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I’m sort of expecting White to comment how ‘Pink” isn’t properly attired, wave her hand with some sort of matriarchal diamond authority override and Steven’s gem manifests those clothes.

And now he’s stuck in them until he figures out the mental gymnastics to de-manifest them.

Don't you mean... gemnastics?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CaptainCrunch posted:

Would be neat if we saw Steven finally start experimenting more with his shape shifting abilities

also I'm still betting on Steven unlocking some sort of "super mode" by temporarily shifting his gem back to it's original "proper" Diamond position, cause that would be incredibly anime and thus very much in line with this show's influences

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It'd be amusing if after all their posturing about fusion, they were introduced to one of them, like maybe a new one spontaneously forms, and had the response "I'll be honest I kind of like this one... still inappropriate, but there's just something about her..."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

drrockso20 posted:

Would be neat if we saw Steven finally start experimenting more with his shape shifting abilities

also I'm still betting on Steven unlocking some sort of "super mode" by temporarily shifting his gem back to it's original "proper" Diamond position, cause that would be incredibly anime and thus very much in line with this show's influences

And so homeworld was defeated not by guns or bombs, but by that most humble of creatures... The kittyfingers.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Steven and the Diamonds
Are gonna make you smile
Me and White and Blue and Yellow
Are gonna invade Earth
Steven and the Diamonds
Come on now don't be shy
Your gods have all abandoned you
Submit, prepare to die

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Speaking of shapeshifting creatures, I just rewatched The Question and noticed that Amethyst appeared to be shapeshifted into a horse for at least a day and a half without any noticeable effort on her part. That would indicate to me that she’s getting even better in holding her forms? Cause she could barely pretend to be Jasper for a few hours, unless it’s just that it’s easy being a purple horse and it’s insufferable being purple Jasper.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It was a small horse, and Jasper is big.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maybe that’s why she won’t commit to being the crocodile.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Speaking of shapeshifting creatures, I just rewatched The Question and noticed that Amethyst appeared to be shapeshifted into a horse for at least a day and a half without any noticeable effort on her part. That would indicate to me that she’s getting even better in holding her forms? Cause she could barely pretend to be Jasper for a few hours, unless it’s just that it’s easy being a purple horse and it’s insufferable being purple Jasper.

My theory is that forms she's practiced a lot are easier to hold long-term. So being the Purple Puma, that she can do all night easily. Being Jasper is something she decided to do on a moment's notice. Same with becoming a full-scale Amethyst Bodyguard in the Zoo arc.

Presumably some time in the past five thousand years, she had repeated reasons to become a horse extensively

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Whenever you notice something like that a wizard did it.

But seriously though: the show has always been very fast and sloppy about what the gems can and cannot do with their powers. There are kind of just vague guidelines that change depending on whatever needs to happen in the plot of the current episode.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My personal theory is that shapeshifting works in a similar way to Loki's explanation here.

Purple Puma, Horse, these things are just other aspects of Amethyst.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't you mean... gemnastics?

Groannnnn

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Elfface posted:

My personal theory is that shapeshifting works in a similar way to Loki's explanation here.

Purple Puma, Horse, these things are just other aspects of Amethyst.

I agree with this, Amethyst can hold a shape indefinitely as long and it's her.

Also trans-loki :3:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, so Loki's a shapeshifter. Why does the gal next to him's boobs shrink by a full cup size between panels?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so Loki's a shapeshifter. Why does the gal next to him's boobs shrink by a full cup size between panels?

Conservation of mass, he has to get the boobs from somewhere!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just started the new season of MST3K, with the insultingly-bad Mac and Me (1988). What I was not ready for: the mom being played by Christine Ebersole, so every time she says something, it's 100% White Diamond.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I figured she was crossing her arms

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Amethyst's shapeshifting could be affected by her emotions like with Steven's powers. She was having fun as a horse and Purple Puma, but her bodyguard and Jasper forms were both done in high stress situations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably a bit of 'all of the above'. The helicopter form iirc was implied to be one she specifically practised so Peridot wouldn't be able to escape the same way again (which incidentally makes her one of the few Gems we've seen so far who can fly under her own power) and she seems quite adept at that considering how difficult a helicopter is to fly. Wouldn't surprise me that she's spent time as a horse before, especially since they were the main means of transport for humans on Earth for all of Amethyst's life. (and Amethyst is a lot closer to humans than any other Gem) Hell, she can turn into a functional car as a one-off gag.

I'd say we secretly had a Transformer in the show the whole time, but come to think of it I think she owes a lot more to Jake the Dog. Though Jake does have some fairly consistent rules to his shapeshifting and I'm not sure he can make separate moving parts, but Amethyst seems to be more flexible. It makes a lot of sense considering that Gem bodies are literally just hard-light hologram projections, likely the same principle as their weapons (though it is now canon that at least some Gems can store objects in their gems, which are bigger on the inside. I wonder what this means for the Temple) and thus don't have to conform to any physical needs beyond base mobility.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Happy Underpants posted:

I agree with this, Amethyst can hold a shape indefinitely as long and it's her.

Also trans-loki :3:

Here's the real question: If both forms are equally Loki then is Loki a trans woman or a trans man?

The answer is "yes".

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 28, 2018

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Genderqueer or bigender are probably more appropriate.

(Also, fyi "trans" is an adjective, saying transwoman is like saying tallwoman or blackwoman)

Edit: vvv Thanks and you're welcome! :)

jassa fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 28, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

jassa posted:

Genderqueer or bigender are probably more appropriate.

(Also, fyi "trans" is an adjective, saying transwoman is like saying tallwoman or blackwoman)

Noted and fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Here's the real question: If both forms are equally Loki then is Loki a trans woman or a trans man?

The answer is "yes".
Morally fluid.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So her's something fun, leaked storyboards from season 7 that may or may not be real and show Sugulite and Jasper: http://jaskers.tumblr.com/post/180573471578

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
jasperdemption confirmed for 2028

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If Nanoha has taught me anything, it's that a bad guy's just a friend you haven't beaten up yet.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

jasperdemption confirmed for 2028

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So her's something fun, leaked storyboards from season 7 that may or may not be real and show Sugulite and Jasper: http://jaskers.tumblr.com/post/180573471578

those don't look like storyboards but actual animation keyframes (probably from season 6)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

those don't look like storyboards but actual animation keyframes (probably from season 6)

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don't know about SU specifically, but I know most Western-led animated productions including at least some CN projects lean on Storyboard Pro software these days. How a given show handles that info in the context of their animation pipeline can vary, but those pages look a lot more like initial keys before tweening and Inking to me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ultraklystron posted:

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don't know about SU specifically, but I know most Western-led animated productions including at least some CN projects lean on Storyboard Pro software these days. How a given show handles that info in the context of their animation pipeline can vary, but those pages look a lot more like initial keys before tweening and Inking to me too.

yeah SU was one of the first CN shows to switch to storyboard pro (I think only the earliest few episodes were boarded traditionally).