Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Any thoughts on if the increased blood pressure when lifting particularly heavy weights could be a higher risk? I've only ever popped a blood vessel in my eye but the not so natural pros seem to turn into fountains of blood at times.

Disclaimer noted.

I mean it's not impossible I suppose, as the brain is chock full of very thin capillaries that can rupture and cause all sorts of damage, either directly via oxygen loss or via swelling or intracranial bleeding. Which is mechanically the same as other capillaries like in the eye. But we're going past my level of knowledge (which consists of undergrad level Anatomy & Physiology I&II) so I can't really comment further on that particular question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vasudus posted:

Yes, your kink can in fact cause brain damage.

Please don't kink shame brazilian jujitsu.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

Any kind of sport or physical activity is going to incur some risk of damage. That's fine. We care if what you're doing is way beyond the normal wear and tear of living.

This is Ronaldo demonstrating how to not get hurt in soccer.

Now post a video of him scoring on a header.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Vasudus posted:

I mean it's not impossible I suppose, as the brain is chock full of very thin capillaries that can rupture and cause all sorts of damage, either directly via oxygen loss or via swelling or intracranial bleeding. Which is mechanically the same as other capillaries like in the eye. But we're going past my level of knowledge (which consists of undergrad level Anatomy & Physiology I&II) so I can't really comment further on that particular question.

Interesting discussion regardless. Thanks for the reply.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vasudus posted:

The most common winter sport associated with TBI is snowmobiling. Because people hardly ever wear a helmet for it, and risk Busey-ing themselves.

Thanks for reminding me I also momentarily knocked myself out snowmobiling hitting a tree and going over the handlebars into it... can't believe people do that without helmets.

This thread has got me feeling like I need to have a nice assisted living place picked out for when I turn 40

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Christ it isn't safe for us to do poo poo anymore

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have so many minor head injury's from my primary school years that would explain a lot of my current problems.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Bored As gently caress posted:

Christ it isn't safe for us to do poo poo anymore

the human body is both a miraculously resilient and ludicrously frail lump of flesh and bone

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

hobbesmaster posted:

How bad is soccer?

Also hockey is probably the next to go after football - in fact hockey may go first because it requires even more money.

Soccer destroys your legs. Sprinting jumping and landing in quick directions is basically a bad thing for your ACL and your likely hood of loving jt up goes way higher.

Ill also probably be taken out by burn pit stuff. Have a letter from an environmental scientist saying my area was the worst environmental site he had ever seen and I spent 15 months next to it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Also please wear a loving helnet when skiing or snowboarding. Its so easy to catch an wdge and get slingshot into the ground

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Soulex posted:

Also please wear a loving helnet when skiing or snowboarding. Its so easy to catch an wdge and get slingshot into the ground

This.

If you need any corroboration of how bad hitting your head skiiing / snowboarding can be even IF you're wearing a helmet, ask Michael Schumacher, the greatest Formula One pilot of all time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This.

If you need any corroboration of how bad hitting your head skiiing / snowboarding can be even IF you're wearing a helmet, ask Michael Schumacher, the greatest Formula One pilot of all time.

Sorry but I'm really hitting a wall with this one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hexyflexy posted:

This is going to sound silly, but I've looked into this rather a lot for personal reasons, and it is very well known these days that even small concussive injuries cause brain damage way beyond what you'd think. Personality altering on first blow - that's the consensus.

(Personal reason: Long time ago, I lived on a horrid council estate in the UK that basically had no police - ended up in a fight with a local gang due to them selling drugs outside my house, this ended up with me getting a mortar chucked through an open window to my house, and I *just* about remember getting blown out the back door of the kitchen). That hurt.

Wait what?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hexyflexy posted:

This is going to sound silly, but I've looked into this rather a lot for personal reasons, and it is very well known these days that even small concussive injuries cause brain damage way beyond what you'd think. Personality altering on first blow - that's the consensus.

(Personal reason: Long time ago, I lived on a horrid council estate in the UK that basically had no police - ended up in a fight with a local gang due to them selling drugs outside my house, this ended up with me getting a mortar chucked through an open window to my house, and I *just* about remember getting blown out the back door of the kitchen). That hurt.

The IRA is not a local gang

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jaguars! posted:

However, I believe there is some evidence that habitually heading the ball is bad in the same way as boxing is writ small. Certainly the most painful impacts I've had on the field is taking a ball to the face.

Yeah I guess soccer can be worse than you’d expect as far as concussions go, and not just players running into each other. Think I read some lower leagues ban headers...?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I read a study recently - it was a small population exploratory thing, not a major epidemiological one - that people with high-normal blood pressure in midlife, ie like 40yo and 135 bp, had noticeable excess brain mass loss compared to controls (you're gonna steadily lose brain mass in the second half of life no matter what), albeit in the single digit percentage range, compared to controls. So bp indeed might be a problem.

If you're worried about this getting a little regular exercise, reducing stress, getting your weight in order, stimulating your brain (learn a language, paint, more stimulating job, whatever), and laying off the alcohol are things that will improve your quality of life, are doable for most of the population, and very probably good for your brain.

The flagship species thing I've read isn't so bad because you can't just raise some butterflies / pandas etc. and dump then in a paved, DDT-soaked hellscape, you have to do proper habitat protection for them, and that also benefits the less cuddly common warty slimeworm. So using protecting the whales as a fundraising and mobilization tool for environmental efforts also benefits all the other species.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This.

Man nearly kills himself multiple times in Formula One, survives somehow, retires, thinks about coming back in other motorsports, and promptly smacks himself into a tree while skiing.

Hopefully he's recovered enough to have a normal life, but he was in a coma from his injuries for quite a while though iirc, and last I heard back in 2016 he could not walk or stand due to his head injury.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 28, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

orange juche posted:

Hopefully he's recovered enough to have a normal life, but he was in a coma from his injuries for quite a while though iirc, and last I heard back in 2016 he could not walk or stand due to his head injury.

Sometimes when his wheelchair is facing a window, he cries.

:smith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

Man nearly kills himself multiple times in Formula One, survives somehow, retires, thinks about coming back in other motorsports, and promptly smacks himself into a tree while skiing.

It was a rock, iirc, and he's apparently still a vegetable these days, even after four years.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

I have so many minor head injury's from my primary school years that would explain a lot of my current problems.

I've been thinking that lately. Playing on an asphalt playground and being clumsy definitely resulted in my head slapping pavement way too often.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I never got any head injuries while playing hockey (I played contact for 12 years) but I did give a kid a concussion one game for a completely legal hit, that's why you skate with your head up boys. Hits from behind, which will lead to concussions if you hit the boards, are heavily punished, as in kicked out of the game and maybe the next.

My knees and ankles on the other hand are in rough shape. I took a lot of slapshots to my ankles and hosed my one knee up bad when I smashed the boards with it.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I think waterpolo is pretty safe after playing five-ish years... only head injuries I ever saw were broken noses. My grandfather had a bunch of shoulder injuries from playing football in West Virginia in the 50s. My dad played both rugby and water polo in college. Both pretty much said "hell no" to me playing any football growing up.

Having a friend develop severe seizures after playing only two years of high school ball (repeated concussions, allowed to continue playing etc) made me think this was a good choice. He was 15 and basically told "don't ever hit your head again".

CURRENT EVENT:

Reuters posted:

Kushner, who also serves as a senior White House adviser, will be admitted to the Order of the Aztec Eagle because of "his significant contributions" to a new North American trade pact agreed to in August

article

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 28, 2018

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Barring some sort of medical/tech breakthrough that lets them make concussion-proof helmets I think the only way football survives is drastically downgrading the protective gear so that the contact looks more like rugby. I mean like... lacrosse soft pads level gear.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jarmak posted:

Barring some sort of medical/tech breakthrough that lets them make concussion-proof helmets I think the only way football survives is drastically downgrading the protective gear so that the contact looks more like rugby. I mean like... lacrosse soft pads level gear.

You don't even need to take a shot to the head to get a concussion

Also it's not as if Rugby is the safest sport either, I got concussed during a no-contact practice because someone wasn't looking where they were going and smacked their forehead into my jaw. I was lucky not to lose any teeth in that one, wasn't wearing my mouth guard.

I still want to play though.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
So at this point the only safe sports are foosball and ping pong.

Unless you get hit in the eye or something.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

You don't even need to take a shot to the head to get a concussion

Also it's not as if Rugby is the safest sport either, I got concussed during a no-contact practice because someone wasn't looking where they were going and smacked their forehead into my jaw. I was lucky not to lose any teeth in that one, wasn't wearing my mouth guard.

I still want to play though.

Well no contact sport is ever "safe", we already knew that. The problem with football is that it used to be "there's a risk of injury" now we know the reality is "your brain gets hosed just by playing, the question is how hosed".

If it could get down to hockey or rugby levels of dangerous it could survive.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I don't know a lot about sportsball, but would less physically intense versions of football work (I'm thinking touch or flag football here)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thalantos posted:

I don't know a lot about sportsball, but would less physically intense versions of football work (I'm thinking touch or flag football here)

ask yourself if a room full of nominally-grown-rear end men would go OOOOOOOOOOHHH for either of those.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I played rugby for 17 yrs. During one span in college I had at least 5 concussions in 2-3 yrs. Mostly just incidental knee to the side of the head type of things while contesting a ruck etc. poo poo just happens.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hell I was once involved in giving somebody in my platoon a concussion during two-hand touch football. We were pushing each other at the line, they tripped, fell backwards, I fell over them, and their head bounced off the ground then off a shin of somebody running past and back to the ground.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A football busted my brothers' nose when he was stationed in Korea. It was on a weekend company thing and the b squad was working the tmc, so his nose was set poorly and looks larger now than before.

Football and mil medicine, two terrible things.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Cindy Hyde-Smith won the MS Senate race, by about 8 points.
This election was only for the remaining two years of Thad Cochran's 6 year term, so it'll be up for election again in 2020.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

joat mon posted:

Cindy Hyde-Smith won the MS Senate race, by about 8 points.
This election was only for the remaining two years of Thad Cochran's 6 year term, so it'll be up for election again in 2020.

Not surprised, but somehow I am? Like I knew this was the likely out come, but still didn't think it would happen.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not surprised, but somehow I am? Like I knew this was the likely out come, but still didn't think it would happen.

I had hoped that a blatantly neo-Confederate candidate couldn't win in 2018, even in Mississippi.

Can't wait to see what 2020 will look like.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's Mississippi. Roy Moore BARELY lost in Alabama, and he was openly even worse.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

FAUXTON posted:

ask yourself if a room full of nominally-grown-rear end men would go OOOOOOOOOOHHH for either of those.

I'm about the farthest thing from a cishet dude, I don't understand them and honestly try not to, it's stressful.

I'm more interested in the physical effects of switching to a less aggressive form of football.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If anyone was wondering why Trump is doing victory laps and -retweets on the Twitter machine, it's not actually because of Cindy whatshername's victory, something that matters, it's because Hillary apparently put her foot in her mouth on a talk show.

/edit:

Oh god, it's not even "foot in her mouth", she tried to dunk on the moderator with a sick burn because they had confused Eric Holder with Corey Booker, and instead of saying something like "You know, they don't all look alike", which would already be incredibly out of place, Hillbot-routine z0798Omega kicked in and delivered "Yeah, I know they all look alike".

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 28, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

As Nero Danced posted:

So at this point the only safe sports are foosball and ping pong.

Unless you get hit in the eye or something.

The safest sport for our children is clearly competitive Fortnite.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thalantos posted:

I'm about the farthest thing from a cishet dude, I don't understand them and honestly try not to, it's stressful.

I'm more interested in the physical effects of switching to a less aggressive form of football.

Oh, in that case it would probably be considerably less harmful but not 100% harmless. If you remove the pads and the helmets and ban tackling and most kinds of blocks then obviously most of the opportunity for injury goes out the window.

And if you make it flag football you can absolutely make it look insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If anyone was wondering why Trump is doing victory laps and -retweets on the Twitter machine, it's not actually because of Cindy whatshername's victory, something that matters, it's because Hillary apparently put her foot in her mouth on a talk show.

Is that the one where the host mixed up two black people and Hillary said "yes, they all look alike".

It makes sense that Trump can't detect sarcasm I guess.

Also, imagine being burned like that by Hillary Clinton of all loving people...