Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Bing Crosby was not black.

Also he and Bill Cosby are two different people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Finally, real content.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Timespy posted:

Yeah but both were horrible abusers.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Timespy posted:

This is actually new information to me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also Denise Crosby's dad?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The confusion is to be expected, as Cosby performed with Stills, Nash, and Young for many years after Bing left the group.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
kenny rogers and kenny loggins aren't the same guy...

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

kenny rogers and kenny loggins aren't the same guy...

Who wrote 'Highway to the Gambler Zone' then?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know like "paramilitary" which is a military that only has paratroopers which aren't real troopers.

Why are they paratroopers anyway?
Trooper implies cavalry and horses have no business jumping out of airplanes. Stuff I haven't figured out yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

jobson groeth posted:

Who wrote 'Highway to the Gambler Zone' then?

Revvin’ up your engine
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with the Gambler
She got you jumpin’ off the track.
Metal under tension
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us
Ride into the danger zone

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

madeintaipei posted:

Trooper implies cavalry

Since when?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know like "paramilitary" which is a military that only has paratroopers which aren't real troopers.

Why are they paratroupers anyway?
Trouper implies theatre and actors have no business jumping out of airplanes. Stuff I haven't figured out yet.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Paralegals are lawyers that jump out of airplanes.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought "para" in both these instances referred to disabled? So what is the Wounded Warrior Project then?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Luft Waffe comes from the German military pilots being predominantly left handed.

The Fallschirmjäger, German paratroopers, had the nasty luck of parachute failures causing them to fall to their deaths throughout their service in WW2.
It became common practice to bring umbrellas (schirm) with them to try and arrest their falls.

Direct translation, Falling Umbrellas Soldiers.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Timespy posted:

People I thought were black based on hearing their voice before actually seeing them or knowing who they were:

Bruce Willis in the Under the Board Walk song.
Balloo the Bear in Disney's Jungle Book.
Tom Jones's cover of Kiss.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Nov 28, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

EvilGenius posted:

People I thought were black based on hearing their voice before actually seeing them or knowing who they were:

Dunkey.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought The Righteous Brothers were a black R&B duo when I was a child.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

EvilGenius posted:

i mean he's bluish cause it's a cartoon but in real life sloth bears are black

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EvilGenius posted:

Phil Harris may have been a white dude but it sounds like he was a big fan of what 'dear old Mammy' had in 'the basement' if you know what I mean :heysexy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_dK0W0qfRo
(The song was originally written by noted African-American lyricist Andy Razaf but Phil made it his signature tune)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

starkebn posted:

Since when?

In the UK and Commonwealth, centuries. Privates are only found in the infantry (and maybe some armoured) regiments. Artillery has gunners for its enlisted, and cavalry (and armoured that used to be horsie) has troopers. This stems back to when getting into the cavalry required you bring your own horse and such, and similarly, artillerymen needed to have a certain level of education. So they had a these more prestigious ranks to remind the lowly privates that while troopers and gunners may not be as gentlemanly as officers, they are still social betters. The british army did, and still sorta does, recruit almost entirely based on social class. Officers needed to not only purchase a commission but fund literally their entire kit- uniform, food, sword, everything. It required independent wealth. The social barriers get lower until you get down to infantry enlisted.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Randaconda posted:

I thought The Righteous Brothers were a black R&B duo when I was a child.

I realize it's part of the joke but Rick Astley being a pale redhead (redundant?) really threw me when that went viral. I had never seen the video and just assumed he was a black dude.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Glad I'm not the only one. Saw a pic of him and was all :monocle:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah wtf he looks like a bigger Clint from LGR. It blew me away.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize it's part of the joke but Rick Astley being a pale redhead (redundant?) really threw me when that went viral. I had never seen the video and just assumed he was a black dude.

Back when that song originally came out, and radio stations had actual DJs (yeah, yeah, I'm old), I remember laughing my rear end off at a short Weird Al-esque parody one station did that had the line "I sound like Billy Ocean, but look like Howdy Dudey". Spot on.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

EvilGenius posted:

For me, Huey Lewis, based on “If This Is It”

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

Dusty Springfield

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Simpsons

Yes, I thought they were black for years, even though there are black people on the show and I had seen it. I'm guessing it was an O.J. Simpson crossed wire.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
And there you have it. The question that has plagued Simpsons fans for decades has finally been answered. Springfield is in Africa.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Krankenstyle posted:

The Simpsons

Yes, I thought they were black for years, even though there are black people on the show and I had seen it. I'm guessing it was an O.J. Simpson crossed wire.

Could be Smithers-induced

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the UK and Commonwealth, centuries. Privates are only found in the infantry (and maybe some armoured) regiments. Artillery has gunners for its enlisted, and cavalry (and armoured that used to be horsie) has troopers. This stems back to when getting into the cavalry required you bring your own horse and such, and similarly, artillerymen needed to have a certain level of education. So they had a these more prestigious ranks to remind the lowly privates that while troopers and gunners may not be as gentlemanly as officers, they are still social betters. The british army did, and still sorta does, recruit almost entirely based on social class. Officers needed to not only purchase a commission but fund literally their entire kit- uniform, food, sword, everything. It required independent wealth. The social barriers get lower until you get down to infantry enlisted.

I see, seems to be used pretty inconsistently now.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Here's that thread title again...

Troop comes from French which came from Latin and meant "flock" or group.

It's origin is about being a group or formation of something, usually soldiers, yes, usually calvary, but it was used as a way to describe the assembly or formation. Which is why it's also applied to Scouts and things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ferrule posted:

Yeah but both were horrible abusers.

Huh, I was under the impression they were good at it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ferrule posted:

It's origin is about being a group or formation of something, usually soldiers, yes, usually calvary, but it was used as a way to describe the assembly or formation. Which is why it's also applied to Scouts and things.

If you’re saying I’m posting false information, uh, no https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trooper_(rank)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you’re saying I’m posting false information, uh, no https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trooper_(rank)

https://www.etymonline.com/word/troop

edit: Would you like more sources? Or are you willing to admit a bunch of rich Brits co-opted a term that already existed?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ferrule posted:

This is important to the original question, but nobody was getting the etymology wrong. "Trooper" is military jargon and means a low-ranking soldier attached to a cavalry or armor unit.

However, "paratrooper" is an etymological cousin of the military-jargon "trooper", not a child. It's actually an extension of "paratroop", which is a group of soldiers trained to use parachutes to enter combat areas. Each soldier in a paratroop is a paratrooper.

In other words, "paratrooper" isn't "para(chute)" + "trooper (jargon)"; it's "para(chute)" + "troop (non-jargon)" + "-er".

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ferrule posted:

calvary,

Named for the hill that Jesus rode his horse up to get crucified.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I'm 35 and never actually saw Mystery Science Theater 3000 until now (the two seasons on Netflix) despite being aware of it since I was a young child, and you know what? It's freaking hilarious. I had no idea.

I'm always drunk when I watch it but I stand by this opinion.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've found The Return (the new version) is consistently funnier than the original. The original (also on Netflix) had some hilarious episodes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

The Simpsons

Also, a lot of bootleg Simpsons shirts depicted them as black.